Don'T Forget The Shower Drain

For those who want to stop water coming into their house don’t forget the drains... what backs up them won’t be very nice and maybe also include a few bugs....

Now I notice that the drain pipe in my downstairs shower (after removing the rubbish trap) is an odd size. So I got some thin wall two inch blue pipe, cut about an inch off of it and then cut a small piece out of the ‘cut off’ to make a smaller diameter..just to fit inside the two inch pipe, then glued that piece into the inside of the original two inch pipe.

The pipe inside diameter was then just slightly bigger than that of the shower drain. So plenty of silicon and pushed it over the outlet. A bit of cling film or similar over the top should stop any bugs..just make a tiny hole in it. You need the pipe to be just longer than the height that the flood water will get to!

Apparently another way is to silicon your ATM card, or similar, place it over the shower drain and put a brick on top but it is not guaranteed to work!

OK, some pictures

It's best to attach(silicon) onto the white outlet first, then attach the vertical pipe, this way you can be sure of a seal at the bottom. I just happened to use a 2" to 3/4" reducer as I had some.

As someone else has said block the toilet..ALSO there maybe holes at the back of the toilet, some Thai plumbers put a vent there, sometimes this/these vents are blocked to stop the smell..worth looking..you have to put your hand inside at the back..of course not all toilets are like this..some don't have the gap at the back.

I also have a pump and pipework ready to pump out of the window...that place is the lowest point in our house..of course if the electric goes off bad luck...however I am supplying the pump from a power socket upstairs and can isolate all the downstairs sockets...hopefully the SafeTcut won't trip if downstairs sockets get wet.

post-17329-0-42988200-1318648587_thumb.j

post-17329-0-83197500-1318648460_thumb.j

post-17329-0-77951700-1318648510_thumb.j

post-17329-0-64306200-1318648548_thumb.j