Flood Relief

Willeyeam

Would it not be much more effective for Thailand in its struggle against the raging floods to use its own resources to fight the problem?

If the locals would just gather up all of the plastic bags they use to package everything and simply fill all of these old plastic bags with say 1/2 litre of water per bag, I am sure, given enough elastic bands, they could tie them tightly and simply float the excess flood water away down the Klong/River etc. to the sea!

Problem solved.

There are a lot of other measures that could assist in relieving the floods, I am surprised the government hasn't acted sooner! For instance, they could sail some empty supertankers up from the oil refineries in Rayong and simply fill them with flood water from the Chao Phya and sail out to sea and dump the lot!

PTT could loan out their petrol tankers, they hold thousands of litres, they could drive to flooded areas and people could fill them with flood water and then they could drive off to the coast and pump out the water.

I also find it a bit strange that the Ministry for Agriculture hasn't bothered to get aircraft into the sky and begun seeding the clouds with chemicals that PREVENT rain! All of this is achievable if everyone pulls together!

They could set up "Water Boiling Stations" Use the dead rice stubble and put huge pans of water on them, light them up and burn the stubble off as they usually do, only this time it could actually be useful....they could evaporate the flood waters instead of simply filling the air with toxic fumes.

All those moaning minnies at the Honda car factories.....open the boots of the cars in the compounds, fill the boot with water and drive down to the sea....an average Honda surely must hold about 300 litres or more!

The local government could give people some of those Cona paper coffee filters, get people filtering the flood water and bottling it ready to sell when clean water runs out - there are loads of empty plastic water bottles lying around.

It just needs a bit of get up and go.

Edited by Willeyeam

In a similar practical vein, why don't they just burn the flood water, same as they do everything else they don't want?

But that would get me steamed up.

Thanks for the laughs, folks, but on a more practical level I think a little PRIOR planning for floods would be of some value.

So I guess we have all made a donation to help out?

Instead of just complaining.

I already do my part. I help a specific Thai family where the local sugar factory has been shut for a month and the mother of the kids I help is off work.

I already do my part. I help a specific Thai family where the local sugar factory has been shut for a month and the mother of the kids I help is off work.

Great!

Here is useful link, I guess it's been posted many time already.

http://english.redcross.or.th/home

Would be good to have it posted at the top of TV forum page just to remind members they can also help if they want.

Done the same here for my village, i contributed much more to the village fund for sandbags and pumps then others. Sure its selfish but at least i know the money is spend well.

There are a lot of other measures that could assist in relieving the floods, I am surprised the government hasn't acted sooner! For instance, they could sail some empty supertankers up from the oil refineries in Rayong and simply fill them with flood water from the Chao Phya and sail out to sea and dump the lot!

PTT could loan out their petrol tankers, they hold thousands of litres, they could drive to flooded areas and people could fill them with flood water and then they could drive off to the coast and pump out the water.

I also find it a bit strange that the Ministry for Agriculture hasn't bothered to get aircraft into the sky and begun seeding the clouds with chemicals that PREVENT rain! All of this is achievable if everyone pulls together!

They could set up "Water Boiling Stations" Use the dead rice stubble and put huge pans of water on them, light them up and burn the stubble off as they usually do, only this time it could actually be useful....they could evaporate the flood waters instead of simply filling the air with toxic fumes.

All those moaning minnies at the Honda car factories.....open the boots of the cars in the compounds, fill the boot with water and drive down to the sea....an average Honda surely must hold about 300 litres or more!

The local government could give people some of those Cona paper coffee filters, get people filtering the flood water and bottling it ready to sell when clean water runs out - there are loads of empty plastic water bottles lying around.

It just needs a bit of get up and go.

For a couple of lines, I though you were serious.. :D

given what we hear usually...