Where Is It Flooding ?

anon7867763

I was out in the Suwanaphum area today and everything is bone dry as far as the eye can see.

The airport is now perhaps the world's biggest parking lot -- if by some chance it were to flood, hundreds of thousands of cars, buses and taxis are going to be rendered useless (until the second-hand car mafia get organised)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rama 2 still dry from Central Rama 2 to interchange.

Any news of Rama II flooded?

No, not yet but probably within a couple of days.

One major paper reports today that FROC decided that they would not try to prevent water flow onto Rama 2 Road. They said instead that they will drain water from Route 340/Bong Bua Thong-Supan Buri Road so that people can get to the South via Ratchburi.

Good luck getting to 340 if you're now in Thonburi so if you want to travel south, better leave soon LOL.

Also, no word on what will be the new makeshift bus terminal since Holland Beer Hall won't be useable.

Howe to get from Suvarnabhumi to the 340?

Today travelled up Lad Phrao Road and 6 kms from Bang Kapi mall the flooding starts. We then travelled back to Ramkamhaeng Road all the way out past Min Buri with no sign of flooding.

We have videos of Lad Phrao road and the intersection with VR Road where the bike died in deep water

but managed to resurrect it shortly after.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b6qeTEUuC5M?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for the trip along Lardprao Rd. It looks as if it'll be a while before I'll be passing that way again. :rolleyes:

The place where the video stops is Ratchada/Lardprao Intersection.

Any news of Rama II flooded?

No, not yet but probably within a couple of days.

One major paper reports today that FROC decided that they would not try to prevent water flow onto Rama 2 Road. They said instead that they will drain water from Route 340/Bong Bua Thong-Supan Buri Road so that people can get to the South via Ratchburi.

Good luck getting to 340 if you're now in Thonburi so if you want to travel south, better leave soon LOL.

Also, no word on what will be the new makeshift bus terminal since Holland Beer Hall won't be useable.

Howe to get from Suvarnabhumi to the 340?

The options through Northern Bangkok or Nonthaburi all go through currently flooded areas... Maybe another poster can help with which roads are still passable.

When do you plan to travel? I think Rama 2 Road will be OK through at at least Monday and Route 340 hasn't been drained yet.

I would expect the airport will have something set up to help people with available detours.

I'm landing Thursday next week and I was planing to go to Ratchaburi in rented SUV.

I'm landing Thursday next week and I was planing to go to Ratchaburi in rented SUV.

Rama 2 will likely be flooded by then, but to what degree I don't think anyone is sure.

There will be many people in your situation.

You could check with your airline before you leave... at that time they might have info about where to go for help (e.g., if a travel route help desk is set up at the airport).

1320508142[/url]' post='4824960']

Water seems to have stopped its advance on Ratchada. As it has done more often in the past few weeks. It stops somewhere for 1 or 2 days, builds up and then jumps to the next location along the way.

W

Phew!!! I thought it was already at Phaholyothin soi 18 and would move forward to Saphan Kwai and further. Saw pictures of flooded street under BTS Mochit this afternoon.

I think the stoppage at Rachada has to do with the closing of sluice gate #10 and #12 plus the big sandbags they put up on the north. If they don't get more pumps to pump out the water that's being blocked, Rachada will get worst once the blocked water finds its way out from the surface and underground.

For people who live in multi-storey houses I suggest they check on their circuit boxes to find out which breaker controls which floor. I just finished doing mine.

To the admin: though this post here does not contain direct information on where it's flooding I believe the information contains herein may benefit some readers. Please bear with it. Thank you.

I've had several Thai and foreign friends call me tonight saying some news story reported that Chokchai 4 is flooded. This is not true. I've just been the entire length of the road and there is no flooding yet, and nothing visible in the side streets.

Also, Ladprao is supposedly closed from Chokchai 4 westward, but they don't seem to be bothering stopping traffic. The nearest water to Chokchai 4 on Ladprao is at Klong Ladprao, 650m away from the end of Chokchai 4. However, water is slowly creeping across to Chokchai 4 from Ladprao-Wanghin Rd., which is currently impassable by smaller cars.

I've had several Thai and foreign friends call me tonight saying some news story reported that Chokchai 4 is flooded. This is not true. I've just been the entire length of the road and there is no flooding yet, and nothing visible in the side streets.

Also, Ladprao is supposedly closed from Chokchai 4 westward, but they don't seem to be bothering stopping traffic. The nearest water to Chokchai 4 on Ladprao is at Klong Ladprao, 650m away from the end of Chokchai 4. However, water is slowly creeping across to Chokchai 4 from Ladprao-Wanghin Rd., which is currently impassable by smaller cars.

I also saw that report on the Thailand Live thread. I went out to check. I think what they meant to say was that Lad Phrao Road was flooded up to Pawanna (Lad Phrao 41). Chok Chai 4 - Lad Phrao intersection is dry tonight. In fact, the flood water is unlikely to progress quickly along LP Rd. from Pawanna to Talaat Chok Chai 4, because the road rises approaching 2 gentle bridges over canals. More likely the water will increasingly spread sideways onto low lying sois (as its already done). Local hydrology is a little complicated as there is a confluence of several canals, one of them being Khlong Lad Phrao.

I've been to Wat Lad Phrao and along Lad Phrao-Wang Hin Rd. over several days now, checking the advance of the water. As of earlier today, I could drive all the way from Wat Lat Phrao to Wang Hin intersection with minimal water on the road. North towards Sena Nikom and Nawamin - Lad Phla Khao is absolutely flooded.

I think the lower sections of Chok Chai 4 are not likely to get wet anytime soon, although i notice recent reports of water further up, on Chok Chai 4 sois 39 & 41, caused by flooding of a small canal that should feed west into Khlong Lad Phrao but clearly is failing to do so.

Edited by bluegum

Water seems to have stopped its advance on Ratchada. As it has done more often in the past few weeks. It stops somewhere for 1 or 2 days, builds up and then jumps to the next location along the way.

W

Phew!!! I thought it was already at Phaholyothin soi 18 and would move forward to Saphan Kwai and further. Saw pictures of flooded street under BTS Mochit this afternoon.

I was at Mo Chit at 8am this morning and again sundown. Water didn't seem to have gained anything throughout the day except it did migrate a bit to the southbound lane. For how fast it went from Ratchayothin to the BTS Friday night I would expect Saphan Kwai to have water by Sunday, now it's not looking that way. Same old story as it's been for weeks, no one knows when but it seems imminent.

1320515770[/url]' post='4825116']
1320509136[/url]' post='4824987']
1320508142[/url]' post='4824960']

W

I was at Mo Chit at 8am this morning and again sundown. Water didn't seem to have gained anything throughout the day except it did migrate a bit to the southbound lane. For how fast it went from Ratchayothin to the BTS Friday night I would expect Saphan Kwai to have water by Sunday, now it's not looking that way. Same old story as it's been for weeks, no one knows when but it seems imminent.

Thanks for the information.

I was out in the Suwanaphum area today and everything is bone dry as far as the eye can see.

The airport is now perhaps the world's biggest parking lot -- if by some chance it were to flood, hundreds of thousands of cars, buses and taxis are going to be rendered useless (until the second-hand car mafia get organised)

Hundreds of thousands of cars? That's a big if somewhat vague figure. Where did you get it from?

I think the stoppage at Rachada has to do with the closing of sluice gate #10 and #12 plus the big sandbags they put up on the north. If they don't get more pumps to pump out the water that's being blocked, Rachada will get worst once the blocked water finds its way out from the surface and underground.

For people who live in multi-storey houses I suggest they check on their circuit boxes to find out which breaker controls which floor. I just finished doing mine.

To the admin: though this post here does not contain direct information on where it's flooding I believe the information contains herein may benefit some readers. Please bear with it. Thank you.

You second paragraph is quite interesting. Why would I want to know about the breakers for my floor? What did you finish?

I think the lower sections of Chok Chai 4 are not likely to get wet anytime soon, although i notice recent reports of water further up, on Chok Chai 4 sois 39 & 41, caused by flooding of a small canal that should feed west into Khlong Lad Phrao but clearly is failing to do so.

There are a couple small canals in Chokchai 4 that have actually been dammed up by locals to prevent water from Klong Ladprao going up into them and flooding other areas. Mostly drainage canals that the street drains pour into. At these dams they've put pumps to pump the water up into the higher Klong Ladprao. I know for sure the small canal that runs N-S from soi 36 to soi 12 and feeds into an E-W canal is dammed somewhere between Paolo Hospital Chokchai 4 and Klong Ladprao. So far it seems to be keeping the water at bay. They must not have done this with the one around 39 & 41.

I might take a wander up in the morning and look at 39 & 41 and see what's going on in that area. I'm not far from there.

Today travelled up Lad Phrao Road and 6 kms from Bang Kapi mall the flooding starts. We then travelled back to Ramkamhaeng Road all the way out past Min Buri with no sign of flooding.

We have videos of Lad Phrao road and the intersection with VR Road where the bike died in deep water

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.c...uC5M?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ok all the videos from Lad Phrao Road along to Chatuchak are in the links

Hope they give you an idea of the water flow....2 days ago we travelled the same road and there was NO water....

Thanks. There is Informaton that we need.

The flooding of Bangkok is a slow process, the water flows at a slow walking pace which means that it should travel at least 20Km in a day. in the conduit which is Phaholyothin Road it doesn't, because it is filling all the infrastructure before it appears above ground; in this area it took hours to travel about 200meters on the surface.

Evacuation orders have been issued, but I felt that the house being dry there was no need. Am I living in a fool's paradise?

Food water is no problem but there is no infrastructure, when the loo is flushed it must be filling the system because it can't go trough the drains. So, like the roads, is the house going to flood from within when its infrastructure is full? How long can I afford to wait?

I suppose when the sink in the kitchen sends its waste to the downstairs loo, I shouldn't bring any more water in, is that when I leave?

Evacuation orders have been issued for this area, the authorities know what they mean, are they not telling us in order to avoid panic?

I would like to know the experience of posters who have lived through or are still living in the flood.

My situation is their's of weeks or months ago.

The flooding of Bangkok is a slow process, the water flows at a slow walking pace which means that it should travel at least 20Km in a day. in the conduit which is Phaholyothin Road it doesn't, because it is filling all the infrastructure before it appears above ground; in this area it took hours to travel about 200meters on the surface.

Evacuation orders have been issued, but I felt that the house being dry there was no need. Am I living in a fool's paradise?

Food water is no problem but there is no infrastructure, when the loo is flushed it must be filling the system because it can't go trough the drains. So, like the roads, is the house going to flood from within when its infrastructure is full? How long can I afford to wait?

I suppose when the sink in the kitchen sends its waste to the downstairs loo, I shouldn't bring any more water in, is that when I leave?

Evacuation orders have been issued for this area, the authorities know what they mean, are they not telling us in order to avoid panic?

I would like to know the experience of posters who have lived through or are still living in the flood.

A colleague ignored the evacuation order because there was no water in sight. Then he ignored it because it was shallow and did not seem like a big issue. Now he is cut off. Dont hang around waiting for the water to arrive. It makes life harder for the authorities if people stay in affected areas and then need some kind of help.

If you plan to evacuate, then it's a good plan to get out while you can. If you have young children or people with health issues, then earlier is better than later.

Have necessary medication on hand as well as food and drinking water. It's not just whether or not you get flooded, it's also a matter of being completely cut off from everything.

I waded through waist deep water for about 1 kilometer to get some supplies yesterday. Walking in the water is really difficult and carrying supplies back was at the limits of my physical ability.

Pets are also a concern--I won't leave mine behind.

Suwintawong (Highway 304) about waist deep past the Rankamheng intersection.

A colleague ignored the evacuation order because there was no water in sight. Then he ignored it because it was shallow and did not seem like a big issue. Now he is cut off. Dont hang around waiting for the water to arrive. It makes life harder for the authorities if people stay in affected areas and then need some kind of help.

Thank's for that. It is human nature to try to preserve what you have. There are boats and our situation is not yet critical. Only 100 yards away in Sena Nikom the water is flooding the buildings.

This soi is dry, acting as a drain for the houses. I hope that this flow isn't stopped downstream, although I know that that is likely.

I estimate that if the flow remains stable, I have about two or three days at most before the water accumulates in the soi enough to flood to my car parking area.

As the saying goes; 'When there is doubt, then there is no doubt', but any opinions ideas experiences all add to my ability to rationalize the situation and get the timing right.

If you plan to evacuate, then it's a good plan to get out while you can. If you have young children or people with health issues, then earlier is better than later.

Have necessary medication on hand as well as food and drinking water. It's not just whether or not you get flooded, it's also a matter of being completely cut off from everything.

I waded through waist deep water for about 1 kilometer to get some supplies yesterday. Walking in the water is really difficult and carrying supplies back was at the limits of my physical ability.

Pets are also a concern--I won't leave mine behind.

Suwintawong (Highway 304) about waist deep past the Rankamheng intersection.

Your situation is critical, I am sorry to hear of it.

How long do you think you can keep it up? No one is saying what the prospects are and if you haven't been told to evacuate your situation may be under some sort of control. I feel that an evacuation order means that the authorities are abandoning the area, no rubbish collection, no relief, no information etc. Actually there has been little of any of that in my experience which is why I am here on the forum.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.c...uC5M?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ok all the videos from Lad Phrao Road along to Chatuchak are in the links

Hope they give you an idea of the water flow....2 days ago we traveled the same road and there was NO water....

That was courageous of you!

On Lad Prao between Union Mall and Big C the water level hasn't changed much, if at all, overnight. It's at curb level. The center strip is above the water.

I don't know if I'm imagining being able to see the current.

The pic is from a webcam behind a window in my condo. Not exactly high-res, but it's convenient.

post-32175-0-65198500-1320537847_thumb.j

Crush: on the other hand if you have a higher building and enough food and water and medication for a month (like we have) than it is doable to stay....just boring

You second paragraph is quite interesting. Why would I want to know about the breakers for my floor? What did you finish?

He said for those living in multi storey houses! You need to find which circuit breakers will isolate all the electrics downstairs and which will allow you to have power upstairs. If you do not bother to spend time to find out such a simple thing then you may likely join the 426 as yet another statistic when you go wading through the water downstairs. What he said was very clear really. Were you just trying to be witty?...Fail!

Another reason to find and isolate the circuit breakers on the first floor is to ensure that if water enters your house, you or others won't be electrocuted wading through the first floor. Keep the breakers on the second floor on, and if you have a burglar alarm working, that will ensure that if you leave the house, the alarm will remain active and will work in the event of unlawful entry into the second floor of the house.

Flooding from within !!! I thought i had had it cracked by blocking all drains, toilet downstairs and wasing machine drain but was so frustrated to find water coming through the grouting between the floor tiles.

Water inside house is about 20 cms deep now and has caught up with the level outside which is about 50 cms in village and 1 m+ around Viphawadhi hospital.

Have moved up a level and already cut the power to 1st floor as advised by another post; had to run power down to mezzanine for the refrigerator as did not want to lug it all the way upstairs.

Water level seems stable this morning maybe up 1 cm or so. Still have beer so wont be bugging out today!!