The Worst Apparently Over: Agriculture Minister

george

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now all the news is its not over and worse then b4. This government is a bunch of clowns with no real knowledge. They track back on their words so fast. They should have prepared for flooding instead of preparing to get their leader back.

I thought things were not over when i saw the water rising here but i believed them for a short while. Only to see the water still higher today and all the news now indicating its getting worse.

one word... incompetence.

Now all the news is its not over and worse then b4. This government is a bunch of clowns with no real knowledge. They track back on their words so fast. They should have prepared for flooding instead of preparing to get their leader back.

I thought things were not over when i saw the water rising here but i believed them for a short while. Only to see the water still higher today and all the news now indicating its getting worse.

HUH! :huh:

You're blaming the current government for all this?

They have only been in power a few months, how could they possibly be to blame?

This crisis is the result of decades of mismanagement!

Ohhh, I get it.... K. Thaksin's fault right? :lol:

HUH! :huh:

You're blaming the current government for all this?

They have only been in power a few months, how could they possibly be to blame?

This crisis is the result of decades of mismanagement!

Ohhh, I get it.... K. Thaksin's fault right? :lol:

Yes i am, think the floods were here a few months ago too.. only started to act too late. Plus the reds have been in power longer as the Dems.

Anyway i can blame the goverment for the bad information they give out the utter incompetence their ministers display. Fine batch of cronies. Even if the flood is not their mistake the way they handle it says enough.

But i don't want to make this into a red verses dems slagging there are enough of those already.

If these were the Dems id complain them just as hard for the faulty information and if they were as incompetent i would complain just as hard.

News changes from one day to an other.

I believe the Chinese word/s for crisis translates to a dangerous opportunity. Maybe the best thing that could happen is some entrepeneur will start up a business based on this dangerous opportunity.

post-56811-0-71912000-1318892876_thumb.j

Demographics would indicate every chance of success

Yes. For sure. When the flood thing will just about to the end somebody will put forward the proposal to your the Prime Minister for put ting up a few new dams in order to improve flood control capability. That will cost you a lot of money. When it comes to the next flood event you have for dams to release water to make a 1 in 50 years flood event to look like 1 in 2500 years flood event.

The hard fact is a flood control dam cannot release all the water it collects during flood season. It has to keep most of it until the flood is over. That is how a flood control dam work in the first place!

I believe the Chinese word/s for crisis translates to a dangerous opportunity. Maybe the best thing that could happen is some entrepeneur will start up a business based on this dangerous opportunity.

Yes, that does seem to address the USCWAP problem. Those USCS paddles are big enough that purchasing a boat (apparently, sold separately, batteries not included) would be optional (image - Could be used by Red Shirts to facilitate a water-bound siege of Bangkok - or anywhere else).

post-120659-0-25222700-1318909064_thumb.

Thai Soldiers Rush to Reinforce Bangkok Flood Walls

Officials said early Monday that the flood threat to the city had passed. But authorities have discovered new weaknesses in barriers erected north of the city, where an industrial estate was inundated Monday. They say they have until Wednesday evening to shore up the flood walls.

Government officials were on the front lines north of Bangkok Tuesday, urging soldiers and workers to improve their efforts.

An official told workers in one location they needed to make the barrier higher.

Government officials say the impact of the flooding on the nation's economic growth will be severe.

Continues:

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/asia/Thai-Soldiers-Rush-to-Reinforce-Bangkok-Flood-Walls-132036703.html

VOA News - 39 minutes ago

Yes, that does seem to address the USCWAP problem. Those USCS paddles are big enough that purchasing a boat (apparently, sold separately, batteries not included) would be optional (image - Could be used by Red Shirts to facilitate a water-bound siege of Bangkok - or anywhere else).

Actually I thought they looked about right for the barges usually seen of the river about this time of year, but those boats wont be on the water any time soon. So out of work paddles. Actually the later articles are getting worrying. Is there any clues as to what the peaks in Bangkok will be?

Rapipat Levee Loses 30 More Meters

UPDATE : 18 October 2011

The Rapipat Canal levee has reportedly lost an additional 30 meters after its initial collapse at around 3 P.M.

Military personnel are hurrying to plug the gaping hole, but have so far failed due to strong currents.

[tan][/tan]

"the worst apparently over: Agriculture Minister".....please someone, please kick out that government.

I would happily accept Gaddafi as Premier (he is jobless at the moment).

Or Surajud, Abhisit, Banharn, Chuvit or Samak (even if he is dead he would do a better job)

Metro Police on guard against flooding across Bangkok

BANGKOK, 18 October 2011 (NNT) – The Metropolitan Police Bureau has ordered its officials to be on high alert for possible flooding in all areas of Bangkok and to prepare vehicles and equipment for the rescue of flood-affected residents.

Metropolitan Police Spokesperson Police Major General Piya Uthayo stated that the flood relief operation unit of the Metropolitan Police Bureau had commanded officers at all police stations within Bangkok to maintain close vigilance for inundation in their areas and to have a plan ready for assisting local residents.

If the city becomes deluged with high floodwater, rapid response teams comprising ten officers each will be dispatched to aid flood victims around the clock while large trucks and rescue equipment will also be provided.

In terms of current traffic problems in many flooded areas in the vicinities of Bangkok, Pol Maj Gen Piya said nearly 100 officers had been sent to provide convenience for motorists. Trucks transporting materials for flood prevention have also been allowed to operate outside their normal timetable.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-10-18 footer_n.gif

Bangkok may face new eastern flood front

BANGKOK (AP) — Floodwaters are pressing toward Bangkok on several fronts as soldiers and residents pile sandbags, and officials sound a new alarm for neighborhoods east of the capital near the international airport.

The Royal Irrigation Department on Tuesday advised residents in a flood plain east of Bangkok near Suvarnabhumi Airport to build sand-bag walls and move valuables to upper floors because water levels there were rapidly rising.

Continues:

http://in.news.yahoo.com/bangkok-may-face-eastern-flood-front-104107725.html

Associated Press – 1 hour 13 minutes ago

Metropolitan Police Spokesperson Police Major General Piya Uthayo stated that the flood relief operation unit of the Metropolitan Police Bureau had commanded officers at all police stations within Bangkok to maintain close vigilance for inundation in their areas and to have a plan ready for assisting local residents.

Looking at the above quote from The Metropolitan Police Bureau it certainly seems as if there is still no city nor a countrywide disaster plan in place.

How long has this flooding scenario been going on ?

It seems as if all of a sudden it's a case of " we have a problem we need to make a plan." Indeed a wonderful scenario, It just confirms that the whole lot of these officials are a total bunch of incompetent buffoons, who having gained their positions through nepotism or by purchase do not have the brains of a rocking horse.

Edited by siampolee

Flood Relief Operation Center confirms 200,000 paper bags sent to BMA can be used as sandbags /TANN

I do hope that the material that these bage are made of is not paper and that the bags are in fact plastic heavy duty bags and were desined for actually wrapping paper or holding paper rubbish. Possibly something was, is, has been lost in the translation? Well I do hope so.

I fear that paper bags full of sand will indeed be as useful as a lead zeppelin.

Edited by siampolee

PM: Flood Crisis out of Government's Control

The prime minister admits the flood situation has spun out of her government's control given the water volume is extremely larger than in past years.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said the flood situation has already worsened beyond the government's control as the volume of floodwater is larger than that in previous years and she is only a part of the system in charge of resolving the problem.

Yingluck admitted related agencies must work more systematically and cooperation from all parties is needed to tackle the current crisis.

The prime minister maintained the information given by the Flood Relief Operations Center is accurate and extensive, but the comments made by relevant parties may be different so the center will provide information in the form of an official statement.

Yingluck said she is not sure if Bangkok's Don Muang District will be submerged under one to two meters deep water as suggested by Science and Technology Minister Plodprasop Surasawadee while adding she is unable to determine which areas of the capital will be inundated.

She remarked the drainage gates of canals 1 to 6 in Pathum Thani's Rangsit District are opened now to help ease the floods in their vicinities.

She pledged the government will do its utmost to protect inner Bangkok from flooding.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-10-19

footer_n.gif

The prime minister admits the flood situation has spun out of her government's control given the water volume is extremely larger than in past years.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said the flood situation has already worsened beyond the government's control as the volume of floodwater is larger than that in previous years and she is only a part of the system in charge of resolving the problem.

Yingluck admitted related agencies must work more systematically and cooperation from all parties is needed to tackle the current crisis.

The prime minister maintained the information given by the Flood Relief Operations Center is accurate and extensive, but the comments made by relevant parties may be different so the center will provide information in the form of an official statement.

Yingluck said she is not sure if Bangkok's Don Muang District will be submerged under one to two meters deep water as suggested by Science and Technology Minister Plodprasop Surasawadee while adding she is unable to determine which areas of the capital will be inundated.

She remarked the drainage gates of canals 1 to 6 in Pathum Thani's Rangsit District are opened now to help ease the floods in their vicinities.

She pledged the government will do its utmost to protect inner Bangkok from flooding.

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

Oh please!:rolleyes:

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

Oh please!:rolleyes:

It seems that the PM is doing u turn after u turn and it is becoming difficult to know what is the real situation and what is being fabricated for the media, and in a bid to keep the population 'calm'. Lives and industry are being put at risk because the Government is not fronting up with quality, honest information.

The Worst Apparently Over: Agriculture Minister

Subsequent OP's, said

Exodus In Flooded Areas As Waters Near Bangkok

Thai PM Says Floods In Parts Of Bangkok Inevitable

and now

Whole of Bangkok 'could flood today'

The Straits Times

Publication Date : 27-10-2011

http://www.asianewsn...ws.php?id=23176

File Under:

Dewey Defeats Truman

Prosperity is Just Around the Corner--Herbert Hoover, 1932

The Third Reich will Last a Thousand Years

There is a Light at the End of the Tunnel--William Westmoreland, 1968

I am Not a Crook--Richard Nixon, 1978

:D

Thanks GentlemanJim that's the funniest comment (the photo) on the floods I've seen in a long time.

My Thai family happened to be watching the usual BS afternoon briefing on television from them just as I came across your post and photo on Thaivisa.

My whole Thai family started laughing.

Now they actually believe I do something on my computer except just play games.

B)

:whistling: Dont worry I read what they said 10 days ago ALL will be ok...................... pheeeeeeeeeeeew thats a relief then, dont know why i bothered coming down to Pranburi???

Anyway ALL HOTELS are safe so if you need somewhere to go now you know, just say this guy told u so :unsure:

BANGKOK: -- Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut assured Bangkok residents living along the Chao Phraya River that the worst is over, as water peaked yesterday at 2.29 metres against the 2.5-metre flood barrier height.

At the Flood Relief Operations Centre press conference today, he added that water level in Singburi and Ayutthaya tends to be lower today as massive run-off from Nakhon Sawan has passed Bangkok.

This is an assurance to Bangkok residents, now that all five industrial estates in Ayutthaya are submerged in water, with Factory Land being the latest victim. Full efforts are being mobilised to protect Nava Nakorn Industrial Estate and Bang Kradi Industrial Estate in Pathum Thani.

Royal Irrigation Department Director-General Chalit Damrongsak added that from this day on, the water level in Chao Phraya River will stabilise while water from Ayutthaya will be diverted to East of Bangkok and possibly Chiang Rak Noi in Pathum Thani with consent from villagers.

He also thanked residents along Rangsit Khlong 8-10 for their cooperation. Now, the department is putting as many pumps as possible at Khlong 10 to drain water to the Gulf of Thailand.

He said that as much water as possible would be drained before the sea level would rise during October 28-30.

At the subsequent press conference, FROC also announced that the Royal Thai Army would handle the water management in five provinces - Nakhon Sawan, Ayutthaya, Lop Buri, Pathum Thani and Nonthaburi.

Amid news that foreign travellers are cancelling their trips to Thailand, FROC said that Suvarnabhumi Airport and other transportation modes as well as hotels in Bangkok are safe from floods.

Edited by travelmann

"Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut assured Bangkok residents.....

Royal Irrigation Department Director-General Chalit Damrongsak added that from this day on....."

Can we trust these two political jokers? These are the two who are responsible for ignoring readily available weather forecasts and refusing to release water from the dams till it was too late. They were both in their jobs in the Abhisit government too, so there has been no disruption in continuity in the post elections period. I would love to believe them but they enjoy something of a wide credibility gap to say the least.

Edited by Arkady