Jet-Ski Operators, Beach Vendors To Protect Phuket Tourists

webfact

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fox in charge of the hen house comes to mind.

Patong Police also plan to spend 15 million baht on installing more than 100 CCTV cameras.

15 million for installing empty boxes? laugh.gif

So 150,000 thb per camera? That sounds like a bargain.... I presume that cost already includes the new Benz for the person in charge of awarding the contract

what's next, putting proven sex offenders in charge of orphanages?

The police chief and governor there in Phuket are really off their rockers. Yet another reason to steer a wide path around the island.

Ha ha ha. Will the jet ski operators report themselves to the police when they see themselves ripping off some tourists? Seems like that would increase the protection money they already have to pay to the police.

Will they use the same contractor used by BMA to install dummy CCTV cameras?

Seems like these jokers are now resorting to taking the piss out of themselves.

At first I thought this article was indicating that some kind of a task force and system was being put into place to keep tourists safe from the Jetski and Tuk Tuk scammers. "Great" I thought,- about time! Then I realized that in fact they're now pinning badges on their chests and giving them more power.

"The recruitment of motorcycle taxi drivers, jet-ski rental operators, beachfront shop owners and other people who work along the beachfront as Civil Protection Volunteers is part of Patong Police Station’s plan to gear up for November."

This is getting worse as time rolls on, ... and could only be possible in Thailand.

That said,... what of the responsiveness (or lack thereof) of international travel and tour agencies that don't do enough (if anything) to warn people of the very real dangers of visiting places like Phuket and Pattaya. Truth be told, most of them just don't care and turn a blind eye in favor of making profit from sending truckloads of gullible tourists there.

Amazing Thailand,.... if it ever changes it'll be a Miracle!

This kind of thing is exactly why Thaivisa and PG are so successful with there April fools stories. Some of the true stories are stranger than the fictional ones. I mean, what is this guy thinking making jet ski operators police volunteers with the ongoing reports of scams and extortion? Why not just deputize the tuk tuk mafia while you're at it. Idiotic. I understand why some expats I know living here haven't been to Patong in 10 years.

Now with high season coming up these scams could generate an extra 1 million baht a week for the scammers and their connections it's been going on in Thailand for 20 years and never stops . Embassy's are not doing enough to many people don't see the warnings. Time for a dedicated web site to report all scams time for the central government to make a commitment to visitors that they will ban every jet ski operator and corrupt connection.

Ban jet ski' s is the best option.

Very much so,presumably with these staunch defenders of tourists, police presence will be reduced giving the "foxes' carte blanche. They can even be witnesses that nothing happened and the penniless tourist repeatedly hit himself.I personally avoid all the southern tourist destinations like the plague. Am very happy in friendly, reasonable Chiang Mai.

Look on the bright side everyone - it gave us all a good laugh! :lol:

Obviously this can only make things worse, but as most of us are ex-pats rather than tourists - its not our problem.

The tourists will enjoy this 'new service' and doubtless report the joys when they get back home.... Should do wonders for the tourist industry :o.

I was just imagining how this would go .... jet ski operator , "please mr policeman i wanna report some of my co-workers who

just have beaten up some tourists because they didn't wanna pay 50.000 baht for some imagenary scratches on my jetski ,

can you please put these crooks in jail for a few years , rofl .

Just to be far Thai Visa has posted a lot of lies and calls it news, even calls it a joke later. It seems everyday is April 1 with Thai Visa, I do not believe it and ignore everything I read. Please guys get your news someplace else

Patong Police Superintendent Arayapan Pukbuakao will be taking up his new position as director of morale,amusement and telling jokes to tourists in the new Cabinet when they meet for the first time after the floods have subsided, which will be on Thursday, according to the Arts Minister who is in charge of flood prevention.

They really don't get it, do they?

To everyone bar himself and his cohorts in the police stations, this is laughable and an absurd suggestion. To even suggest the inclusion of anyone even remotely involved with hiring jet skis flies in the face of reason and is a direct insult to those who have been robbed, cheated and assaulted by these world renowned thugs.

But then it makes for good press to those outside Thailand.

surely this idea will be stopped before it gets started, ....INCREDIBLE , for as long as i can remember this island has been geared to get as much money from foriegn tousists as possible , i was thinking of going there in a month or 2 cos i hav'nt returned for 10 yrs now. ....CANCELLED !!....... i'll go to zimbabwe instead, better safe than sorry !:ermm:

I hurt myself when I fell off my chair laughing. Did he really say he would ask the main criminals in Phuket to watch out for tourists??? OMG!

Yea me too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!--------I have just read it about 6 times and still cannot believe what I am seeing---------- this has got to be a mistake surely. Dougal

+1

Exactly what I was about to write.

im back to phuket in december to visit tilak, im aware of the scams so wont get grief but there is always the

new wave of naive first timers who are easily duped, what a shame, Thailand just does not seem to want

to leave the world of corruption, why is it so?

+1

Exactly what I was about to write.

im back to phuket in december to visit tilak, im aware of the scams so wont get grief but there is always the

new wave of naive first timers who are easily duped, what a shame, Thailand just does not seem to want

to leave the world of corruption, why is it so?

One Answer Too many people have their snouts in the trough.

Now, when the Tuk Tuk Gang blockades a cruise ship passengers or the US Navy, the Jet Ski guys could be called in to negotiate....

GOOGLE: Phuket tuk tuk blockade.

"Many of the 472 passengers aboard the Silver Spirit cruise liner had planned to take half-day minivan tours of Phuket, returning to the vessel before its scheduled departure at 1pm.

Their Phuket experience will not be a fond one, however, as they were not allowed past the blockade of some 200 angry taxi and tuk-tuk drivers.

The drivers were protesting the fact that local tour agents pick up most of the passengers who disembark from cruise ships at the port, leaving them with no work and no income."......

More info here: http://www.google.co...=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Edited by pauljones