Internet Options

I am hoping someone can help me out. I live on Koh Phangan and am currently using an aircard, which is extremely slow and won't allow me to download anything (including updates for McAfee). TOT will not connect at my house because apparently it is too far from the road, although my landlord used to have internet and she is just a few metres away. Also, CAT does not service my area. Does anyone know of any other options? 3bb, True? I know someone that used to have a satelite before TOT was available. Anyone have any info on this?

Any useful information would be appreciated. Thus aircard is very frustrating.

Depending on where you are in KP, maybe worth checking out Truemove.

According to the promo material they were handing out in Lotus Samui a couple of weeks ago for their 3G+ service there is also some coverage in KP, although limited by the looks of the map.

They were advertising 7.2 Mbps download speed for their standard aircard and 3G wireless modem and 21 Mbps for the Power Surf aircard! Seemed to be a range of subscription packages which were reasonable. (Sorry can't remember any details).

• 2 weeks later...

It would be helpful to say where you are...

I took my CAT dongle to KP last week to the Mae Haad area and was unable to pickup a signal, yet the resort I was at has used CATCDMA for years. and get a good signal on their Wifi.

I am not sure if they have a land line now, a few years ago they used an aerial .. which I brought from them when I lived on KP, don't need here on Samui. (for sale if anyone needs!)

I don't think the Aircards work well in any area for speed, maybe I am wrong there...?

It's going to depend on how close to a Tower you are, for wireless signal, there a several parts of KP where it is hard to even get a DTAC phone signal, especially in the middle of the island...

I would say if you are in the South or West resort areas you would have a good chance of a signal... unless you are in one of the valleys, out of reach of signals..

I had no problem in Tongsala, with my CAT dongle.

I am out of the True and CAT area.

BUT, my boyfriend rang them up (he is Thai) again to see what the problem was and they said we are too far from the main road. But the house next door has it which is not actually next door but perhaps 100 metres further from the road. So he told them this and asked why again. So they said if we paid extra for the wire they would come.

Went to the TOT customer service noodle shop in Thong Sala who were aware that we were coming and had the amount on hand that we were expected to pay. We paid and are still waiting. It has been 2 weeks and they call everyday to say they are coming tomorrow. But still nothing. He even ran into them at another resort here and they knew to come here but said they didn't have enough wire with them. But if they knew that had to come why didn't they bring enough with them?

If I could use another provider I would as TOT is not in my good books at the moment but still can't find one.

Is anyone aware of the satellite option? I remember years back when people had them before TOT was on the island.

We called 3BB a few weeks ago. They told us to call TOT. sad.gif

Someone once told me that the 3BB service is provided on TOT telephone lines. I understand your frustration :blink:

Depends on where you live, sounds like guavagirl lives in an area controlled by TOT. Where I live 3bb is not on TOT lines since TOT doesn't come out here. Alternative is to check CAT and see if they can run a dedicated line to your house. Pricey tho.

So they said if we paid extra for the wire they would come.

I had the same issue on Samui. Cannot, cannot, cannot so I took 5k out of my wallet and it changed to can. Next day they installed 1km of CAT6 and I was up and running. I use 3bb and have found their service to be very good. It's mostly Thai where I live so I gave everyone the password to connect to my wifi for free.

I live in a rural area in Ratchaburi and been trying for 3 years to get TOT Internet. Finally one day I seen a TOT truck drive past my house and I stopped it and asked about the Internet. They told me yes I can have Internet but not a telephone line. What they did way put up a 30 meter pole from the top of my shed and it collects a signal from the TOT tower which is about 5 km away. Now I got wireless and it works great. Before I was just like you a air card that couldn't download anything.

Edited by Nowhereman60

So???

Did they come already or not?

For me it cost about 4000 B for a 100m line from a restaurant on the main road to my house.

I pay around 600B per month, and the actual speed i get is around 5M.

Not bad...

So I got a good deal for 1000m @ 5000 Baht. I've found that showing cash makes pretty much any 'cannot' into a 'can'. I quite like it to be honest. It was the same thing for the rent where I live. I knew my next 6 months rent was due so made sure I had plenty of cash at hand. I wanted 30k but she insisted on 35k, this went back and forth for maybe 10 minutes so I pulled 30k in nice crisp unfolded 1000 Baht notes out of my back pocket. She looked at the cash and then at me then said OK. Cash talks here, end of story.

No Barbi they haven't come yet.

Apparently the story now is that they don't have enough wire and had to order it from BKK. That was nearly 2 weeks ago. But with the floods it could take a while to get here.

I will be sure to let everyone know when they finally do arrive.