Musical Overkill

Exhausted and shattered after my sleepless and uncomfortable, backpacker amonia scented "VIP" bus ride back from Ko Chang via Rayong, I am staying a stones throw from Kaosan Rd, a place that has long since held any happy memories for me and probably the lonliest place in Thailand I can be without technically being alone.

Anyway, I was not surprised to notice that EVERY one of the cd stalls was playing the new James Blunt album, almost as if it were the only thing for a backpacker to listen to (which it probably is, being one of those albums that's fasionable to listen to) but sadly, it's quite a good album and one which I probably would have parted with bt100 for had I not been force fed it everytime I set foot in the road, previously notorious for killing Dido and Jack Johnson.

It's bad enough that so many young farang listen to whatever their peers listen to instead of exploring the wide range of music that thankfully is available, but the Thai's seem to have an unlimited tolerance for repitition.

'Hotel California', 'Zombie' and anything by that nauseating 4 piece male doll group Blue - namely 'All Rise' are still relentlessly pumped out of speakers all over Thailand, especially in tourist areas.

Now are they playing what they think we want to hear or are they playing what they like to hear that they think we will like also or are they under the impression that they are cool by playing the western music which they believe to be in fashion?

I once played 'Sir Duke' by Stevie Wonder to an ex Thai girlfriend who took more interest in the straw in her Baccy Breezer.

Not surprisingly, she failed to get excited by Dusty Springfield, The Sex Pistols, Tchaicovsky, Gorillaz, Tony Bennet, The Velvet Underground, Beck, Madness or Queen - though she did recognise 'We Will Rock You' but only because it too has been over covered and over played.

Danny Elfman's work of pure, contemporary orchestrated genius that is The Simpsons theme tune raised an eyebrow but it turned out she thought her phone was ringing.

Edited by The Gentleman Scamp

Yea I've wondered about this - in all types of environment like taxis, are they playing what they like or what they think we like? Luckily the trip goes quite quickly for me as I can debate with myself if I should say 'I don't like this music, feel free to switch to look-tung FM..'.

Isn't it all a bit academic now.

With a cheap mp3 player you can be bloody well right even in the quietest moments?

How could I forget Supertramp!

They have just released an anthology though it's not available in the copy stalls probably because they are either too old, have not been on stage with S Club 7 or sampled by J-Lo.

]

'Hotel California', 'Zombie' and anything by that nauseating 4 piece male doll group Blue - namely 'All Rise' are still relentlessly pumped out of speakers all over Thailand, especially in tourist areas.

It's good to hear that somethings never change :o

Whenever i arrive back in Thailand and go out for the evening, the sound of 'All Rise' that accompanies me wherever i go makes me think to myself 'i'm back' :D

To be honest with you my Step-mum likes the song 'All Rise' by Blue and when I asked her if she thought it was "cool" she said....

"It is good song I just like to listen"

The first time I came to Thailand I was lucky enough to be taught the way some TG's dance to that song, fancy that :o

Britney Spears seems to be a common artist to be played also and if you go around the markets you may be lucky enough to find a T-shirt with her face slapped on the front of it near a Thai girl thinking about spending her weeks wages on it.

To be honest with you my Step-mum likes the song 'All Rise' by Blue and when I asked her if she thought it was "cool" she said....

"It is good song I just like to listen"

How many times has she heard it, or had to hear it?

It is a good song in the opinion of the majority but the majority have little or no interest in music or anything creative and musically will eat what you feed them, which is why BMG, the label who own Blue, are so obscenely rich because they create a package and make it look cool and sound catchy, knowing how much young people all over the world need to be part of the in crowd, and there you have it - millionaires are born, the members of Blue will get some of that too and so will the team who write and compose their songs.

'Fool's Garden - Lemon Tree' was another popular one. A while back, I seemed to hear it playing somewhere every 5 minutes or so in Thailand.

That on the other hand is a proper song and a good one too that was created with passion, and not greed, in mind.

I never hear it these days, but I do wonder how the Thai's discovered tracks like this that are not even prolific in the West anymore, and chose them to be regular plays... That one was a good choice.

Britney Spears seems to be a common artist to be played also and if you go around the markets you may be lucky enough to find a T-shirt with her face slapped on the front of it near a Thai girl thinking about spending her weeks wages on it.

We have a lot to answer for.

This has been a bit of a bugbear of mine for a while. Sure I have my 'Thailand songs' which often fall outside of my usual choice of listening matter i.e. those songs one hears in Thailand and whisks one back there in seconds of hearing them again; however I can no longer tolerate The Eagles or The RHCPs due to total overkill from Thailand.

My theory is simple. The Thais will just play over and over what they think is popular in the West without any real research. Its probably the same as having a Thai restaurant in the UK staffed by those ignorant in Thai music and only a handful of Carabao CDs to hand.

Myself and Big Fat Dave currently claim the record for being 'Eagled' the most in one night. 14 times in Pattaya in Christmas 2000. I also have a fair shout to the 'All Rise' record; 5 times in one night in Christmas 2002.

Scampy, bad luck on the choice of coach from KC. I would have thought that you would have known better! Bet it took weeks.........

This has been a bit of a bugbear of mine for a while. Sure I have my 'Thailand songs' which often fall outside of my usual choice of listening matter i.e. those songs one hears in Thailand and whisks one back there in seconds of hearing them again; however I can no longer tolerate The Eagles or The RHCPs due to total overkill from Thailand.

My theory is simple. The Thais will just play over and over what they think is popular in the West without any real research. Its probably the same as having a Thai restaurant in the UK staffed by those ignorant in Thai music and only a handful of Carabao CDs to hand.

Myself and Big Fat Dave currently claim the record for being 'Eagled' the most in one night. 14 times in Pattaya in Christmas 2000. I also have a fair shout to the 'All Rise' record; 5 times in one night in Christmas 2002.

Scampy, bad luck on the choice of coach from KC. I would have thought that you would have known better! Bet it took weeks.........

Music is overplayed indeed....instead of whinging and do smth about it - create some mix cds and hand them around the establishments. :o

Edited by britmaveric

its been my theory - and this just does not apply to thailand , throughout asia - that the tune needs to include the word "love" in the lyrics and the chorus must not contain words of more than 2 syllables - thus it becomes popular in asia , reflecting its popularity in the west..... :o

You've rung a bell there stumonster.

I recall being at a wedding in Chanthaburi a few years ago and the proceedings were reaching the raucous stage. The music had been totally Thai as were the rest of the guests bar the then Lady_Fart and myself. From out of nowhere the band began to play 'living next door to Alice' by Smokie and Roy 'Chubby' Brown. Now for those of you unfamiliar with this quality work, there is what is (probably - I'm guessing but who cares) known as a 'call and response' chorus which goes;

(call) 'Tum tee tum something something living next door to Alice'

(response) 'Alice? Alice? Who the <deleted> is Alice?'

Now, picture the scene of 150-200 Thais sitting around in the function room of the KP Grand hotel all shouting ''Alice? Alice? Who the <deleted> is Alice?' at the tops of their voices, not having a clue what it meant. From the young kids through to the beehived matrons everyone sang along with gusto while Lady Fart and self fought back the tears. Class.

'living next door to Alice' by Smokie and Roy 'Chubby' Brown. Now for those of you unfamiliar with this quality work, there is what is (probably - I'm guessing but who cares) known as a 'call and response' chorus which goes;

(call) 'Tum tee tum something something living next door to Alice'

(response) 'Alice? Alice? Who the <deleted> is Alice?'

Now, picture the scene of 150-200 Thais sitting around in the function room of the KP Grand hotel all shouting ''Alice? Alice? Who the <deleted> is Alice?' at the tops of their voices, not having a clue what it meant. From the young kids through to the beehived matrons everyone sang along with gusto while Lady Fart and self fought back the tears. Class.

Brilliant. :o