The Dark Side Is The Plaice

glanville63

"might try it then, as it is, i personally i would rather drive for 30 minutes right past 9999 minimart into town to the Jolly Friar/Village Chippy/Gooses to get my occasional Brit feed and avoid the expat BS banter that so adversely affects my appetite ............:"

I didn't realize you could not read wink.gif i highlighted it for you and BS means bullshit if you didn't know..............rolleyes.gif

Edited by MrRed

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

glanville63, sssshhhhh its my local, yes its the best fish and chips about but its also my local watering hole. maybe its because he worked in michilin star restuarant and owned couple of hotels before he came here. was in one today off third road as i was in the area and it will be the last time. lakeside chips are the real mcCoy as in not out of a bag in a feezer, chips as they should be. but at 40 baht for san mig and good expat crowd with a view straight over the lake dont want it getting to popular. best have it timekeeprs way who has never been there and tried them and has a problem believing people.

dear marston,

you are making ASSumptions and only ASSes make ASSumptions

'''best have it timekeeprs way who has never been there and tried them and has a problem believing people''

marston, i can walk to the 9999 mini mart from my house and over the years, i have done so on very rare occasions to get unforeseen needed supplies but did not feel inclined to stay for a beer even when the only choice was going home to the stimulating company of the wife's visiting family

i could join the crowd of expat cheap charlies that inhabit the plaice (pun intended) but i choose not to

the fact that its morphed into a Lakeside chippy AND the 9999 minimart in the last two weeks with a little sitting area outside, does not make it any more attractive to me (sows ear/silk purse)

having said that, the fish and chip area's concrete seats look marginally more inviting than the big red high chairs that you 32 baht Leo boys with the tough tonka trucks covet so much

the cooling breezes ''straight over'' from the lake, i get for free everyday, not from the 45 degrees angle to it on a dust bowl corner, overlooking more grass than there is water

so as familiarity breeds contempt, the view or breeze such that it is at 9999, is not quite as appealing for me, as it clearly is for you

however, that said i hope it works for him/her (whoever it is and there are a few contenders in this thread), in fact i hope it grows into much more of a restaurant than the cheap charlie drinker it is now

i might try it then, as it is, i personally i would rather drive for 30 minutes right past 9999 minimart into town to the Jolly Friar/Village Chippy/Gooses to get my occasional Brit feed and avoid the expat BS banter that so adversely affects my appetite ............

You could always take your plates for them to warm as you live so close,then walk home alone with your fish and chips without speaking to anyone.

No need to make a big issue about people who drink outside who most probably you know nothing about and accuse of chatting shit.....oh intellectual one blink.gif i see.

dear Mr RED i think by noting your chosen RED forum name and your RED avatar and your proud announcement to be a RED shirt, even though i know nothing about you, i think i can make a sound judgement about you

if 9999 welcomes such folk into their midst, its now sunk down even further in my estimation

if this fish & chip restaurant now incorporated into 9999 survives & succeeds it will not be because of its current patrons

it will be to the owners credit IN SPITE of its current patrons...........

glanville63, sssshhhhh its my local, yes its the best fish and chips about but its also my local watering hole. maybe its because he worked in michilin star restuarant and owned couple of hotels before he came here. was in one today off third road as i was in the area and it will be the last time. lakeside chips are the real mcCoy as in not out of a bag in a feezer, chips as they should be. but at 40 baht for san mig and good expat crowd with a view straight over the lake dont want it getting to popular. best have it timekeeprs way who has never been there and tried them and has a problem believing people.

dear marston,

'''best have it timekeeprs way who has never been there and tried them and has a problem believing people''

marston, i can walk to the 9999 mini mart from my house and over the years, i have done so on very rare occasions to get unforeseen needed supplies but did not feel inclined to stay for a beer even when the only choice was going home to the stimulating company of the wife's visiting family

i could join the crowd of expat cheap charlies that inhabit the plaice (pun intended) but i choose not to

the fact that its morphed into a Lakeside chippy AND the 9999 minimart in the last two weeks with a little sitting area outside, does not make it any more attractive to me (sows ear/silk purse)

having said that, the fish and chip area's concrete seats look marginally more inviting than the big red high chairs that you 32 baht Leo boys with the tough tonka trucks covet so much

the cooling breezes ''straight over'' from the lake, i get for free everyday, not from the 45 degrees angle to it on a dust bowl corner, overlooking more grass than there is water

so as familiarity breeds contempt, the view or breeze such that it is at 9999, is not quite as appealing for me, as it clearly is for you

however, that said i hope it works for him/her (whoever it is and there are a few contenders in this thread), in fact i hope it grows into much more of a restaurant than the cheap charlie drinker it is now

i might try it then, as it is, i personally i would rather drive for 30 minutes right past 9999 minimart into town to the Jolly Friar/Village Chippy/Gooses to get my occasional Brit feed and avoid the expat BS banter that so adversely affects my appetite ............

You could always take your plates for them to warm as you live so close,then walk home alone with your fish and chips without speaking to anyone.

No need to make a big issue about people who drink outside who most probably you know nothing about and accuse of chatting shit.....oh intellectual one blink.gif i see.

dear Mr RED i think by noting your chosen RED forum name and your RED avatar and your proud announcement to be a RED shirt, even though i know nothing about you, i think i can make a sound judgement about you

if 9999 welcomes such folk into their midst, its now sunk down even further in my estimation

if this fish & chip restaurant now incorporated into 9999 survives & succeeds it will not be because of its current patrons

biggrin.gif Amazing Thailand,get down to the chippy you soft arse and stop moaning about a plaice that gives a choice to people in the community.

dear marston,

biggrin.gif Amazing Thailand,get down to the chippy you soft arse and stop moaning about a plaice that gives a choice to people in the community.

Hey REDHEAD ,i am going to the chippy tonight as it happens

i am grateful for the food choices offered in the Lakeside community that i live in (not just visit in my Tonka truck to get drunk on 32 baht Leo)

so i will be exercising that choice and going to the THE JOLLY FRIAR in Pattaya

i can only guess that the fish & chips are better than 9999, as i have never eaten at the 9999 CC drinker

i know the Jolly Friar is cheaper than 9999 though from the information imparted in this thread

another thing i know for sure, is that the company in The Jolly Friar will be more amiable..........

Edited by timekeeper

dear marston,

Very well said. I have lived within walking distance for the last 4 years and have only gone there 2 times

Tried Lakeside chippy for the first time the other night and it was really really good. We live around the lake so got the food to takeaway. Hubbie had battered sausage, I had the dory as did the kids. I found the chips were particularly nice and had a real "chippy" flavour. I also thought the price was really good and the portions large. If I had read this post before I went I would have taken more notice of the price, however at the time I noticed I got change from 400baht, whereas just 1 portion of chips to go costs 150baht at the Peacock Inn which is just up a little for the Chippy.

I can only concur as a Dark Side resident that the Chippy is a welcome addition to the Lake :-)

Thank goodness we've brought this thread back to normality with some positive postings. When I opened the forum, little did I know what a can of worms I was getting into. Isn't it peculiar how some people are always searching for the negative things in their lives and can't accentuate the positives. Thankfully they are a minority.

Thank goodness we've brought this thread back to normality with some positive postings. When I opened the forum, little did I know what a can of worms I was getting into. Isn't it peculiar how some people are always searching for the negative things in their lives and can't accentuate the positives. Thankfully they are a minority.

by normality you mean that you are happy that someone finally agrees with your admitted ''paid for in kind'' free advert promotion of this plaice?

its notable that the most recent endorser had a takeaway, which in my opinion would be the only way, especially if you had children with you

however, you may not have noted that at least three nearby Lakeside residents do not concur with your assessment of 9999.

we don't even have to drive to get there, we can walk there but we choose not to

its clear that we certainly don't feel its the Lakeside hub of gourmet eating and good humored expat carousing

shouldn't that tell you something?

as to being in a minority about this place , if you read the comments that address the issues, i think the score is three positive contributors and three negative contributors

so maybe you should get your facts right before making a social comment about things you seem to know little about

maybe its time for another 32 baht Leo, i am sure its not too early for you.............

Edited by timekeeper

now you see whay very few people open threads, and people dont post. a normal post hijacked but somebody with a chip on his shoulder. (no pun intended) refered to me as a cheap charlie, all the bucch of regulars as cheap charlies, mentioned it as a dusty corner bar, as you say its a nice spot for people to have a beer with friends, without the hallse of girls and loud music, apparanty he he feels the company is not amicable. well as a regular the food is, great as is the company of the elder age group. cheap charlie bars are usually full of bikes, how ever this one is usually full of vehicles, cetainly not cheap charlies. nice quite place, and no need for all timekeepers flaming, of me and the regulars. guess thats a few more put off posting anything.

but nice atteampt glanville63 at trying to start a post on a new eating place around the lake.

The supercilious and patronising inanities posted by someone who seems to think he God’s gift to Darkside culture and enjoys belittling his fellow countrymen who are merely out for a beer and a friendly chat with their mates, is the reason why you will rarely see me contribute to any Thai Visa threads these days.

People who seem to get off on ridiculing their fellow expats for no good reason other than to derive some vicarious pleasure in their discomfort, are totally beyond my comprehension. If they don’t enjoy eating or drinking in such places, then go somewhere else – why on earth can’t they just live and let live?

Such posters must live sad, sick lives.

The only reason I have even seen this thread today is because someone mentioned it to me as an example of how the meaningless bickering and insults traded between members has rendered all sensible, and constructive discussion virtually impossible.

As for the Chippy 9999 – thank you Glanville for bringing it to my attention and good luck to the proprietor – I will give it a try one of these evenings when I pass by on my evening stroll around the lake with my dogs… ;)

I may even take a seat and have a chat to anyone who is willing to talk to me…. :)

Edited by Mobi

"might try it then, as it is, i personally i would rather drive for 30 minutes right past 9999 minimart into town to the Jolly Friar/Village Chippy/Gooses to get my occasional Brit feed and avoid the expat BS banter that so adversely affects my appetite ............:"

I didn't realize you could not read wink.gif i highlighted it for you and BS means bullshit if you didn't know..............rolleyes.gif

I have tried some places, but they do not seem to be serving real cod. And what they do serve is not that similar to cod. Gooses/Village Chippy/Jolly Friar/9999/Simons....... Real cod?

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

Certainly sounds like a place worth a visit - have to make the effort over the next few days as it is closer to me than the other chippys in the area.

It is also a relief to know that a certain poster won't be there to regale me with his uninformed opinions about something he has no knowledge or experience of.

Well as they say, there's no time like the present.

A friend and I were planning to go to have lunch at a Swiss restaurant that has recently opened on the Lake near my house, (and is also very good), but as luck wouldn't have it, it didn't open until 3 p.m so we decided to give the new Chippy a go.

They have smartened up the whole area and it is very clean and have a large, comfortable t-shaped bar, plus a number of decent tables and chairs for customers; both inside and outside the building.

In all, there were 4 of us, and we had 2 dory and chips and one Atlantic cod and chips plus a few onion rings and other stuff.

The food was excellent, both the dory (which I had) and the Atlantic cod, (according to my friend's American son in law), and the chips were freshly cooked and just right.

It was plentiful and as I write this post I am still feeling very full.

I cannot say if it is better or worse than some of the other restaurants quoted in this thread as I have never eaten there, but I can say that in the opinion me and my party, it was of a very acceptable standard.

And I didn't notice any Neanderthals gagging into their beer.

The supercilious and patronising inanities posted by someone who seems to think he God's gift to Darkside culture and enjoys belittling his fellow countrymen who are merely out for a beer and a friendly chat with their mates, is the reason why you will rarely see me contribute to any Thai Visa threads these days.

People who seem to get off on ridiculing their fellow expats for no good reason other than to derive some vicarious pleasure in their discomfort, are totally beyond my comprehension. If they don't enjoy eating or drinking in such places, then go somewhere else – why on earth can't they just live and let live?

The only reason I have even seen this thread today is because someone mentioned it to me as an example of how the meaningless bickering and insults traded between members has rendered all sensible, and constructive discussion virtually impossible.

As for the Chippy 9999 – thank you Glanville for bringing it to my attention and good luck to the proprietor – I will give it a try one of these evenings when I pass by on my evening stroll around the lake with my dogs… ;)

I may even take a seat and have a chat to anyone who is willing to talk to me…. :)

Mobi, as someone who on occasion has certainly been guilty of all the things you mention in this post

i would say you are a hypocrite with a short memory for making this one......

Edited by timekeeper

Well as they say, there's no time like the present.

A friend and I were planning to go to have lunch at a Swiss restaurant that has recently opened on the Lake near my house, (and is also very good), but as luck wouldn't have it, it didn't open until 3 p.m so we decided to give the new Chippy a go.

They have smartened up the whole area and it is very clean and have a large, comfortable t-shaped bar, plus a number of decent tables and chairs for customers; both inside and outside the building.

In all, there were 4 of us, and we had 2 dory and chips and one Atlantic cod and chips plus a few onion rings and other stuff.

The food was excellent, both the dory (which I had) and the Atlantic cod, (according to my friend's American son in law), and the chips were freshly cooked and just right.

It was plentiful and as I write this post I am still feeling very full.

I cannot say if it is better or worse than some of the other restaurants quoted in this thread as I have never eaten there, but I can say that in the opinion me and my party, it was of a very acceptable standard.

And I didn't notice any Neanderthals gagging into their beer.

maybe i would have if i had been there........

Certainly sounds like a place worth a visit - have to make the effort over the next few days as it is closer to me than the other chippys in the area.

It is also a relief to know that a certain poster won't be there to regale me with his uninformed opinions about something he has no knowledge or experience of.

i have no experience of the fish and chips, that's true

just of the cheap charlies that normally inhabit the place

but there's really no need to worry about me regaling you with opinions about anything

i won't be there and even if i chose to go i would make sure i was not found talking to the likes of you ...........

I have tried some places, but they do not seem to be serving real cod. And what they do serve is not that similar to cod. Gooses/Village Chippy/Jolly Friar/9999/Simons....... Real cod?

i always have what i think is cod at jolly friar and village

my wife has the Dory

its distinctly different

i think mines Cod, it has the flavor and consistency but i am not a fishmonger by trade......

The supercilious and patronising inanities posted by someone who seems to think he God's gift to Darkside culture and enjoys belittling his fellow countrymen who are merely out for a beer and a friendly chat with their mates, is the reason why you will rarely see me contribute to any Thai Visa threads these days.

People who seem to get off on ridiculing their fellow expats for no good reason other than to derive some vicarious pleasure in their discomfort, are totally beyond my comprehension. If they don't enjoy eating or drinking in such places, then go somewhere else – why on earth can't they just live and let live?

Mobi, as someone who on occasion has certainly been guilty of all the things you mention in this post

I have never, ever, launched an unprovoked attack on anyone on Thai Visa.

In fact, I have often exercised considerable constraint when debating with people who insist on hurling insults at me.

Someone starts an innocuous thread, advising us on a new place which serves fish and chips (which incidentally are very tasty), and you, without a shred of evidence, accuse him of being in the pay of the owner and proceed to denigrate the place in the most shoddy and reprehensible manner.

No wonder Thai Visa doesn't allow bars, restaurants and other establishment to be 'named and shamed' any more, which is a pity, as intelligent debate on the merits or otherwise of any particular place would be to everyone's interests. We only have the mindless, unjustified and unfair clap trap that people like you seek to post to thank for this seemingly draconian action.

But I will not deny that if someone does take it into their minds to insult me or others , then I will often jump to my (or their) defence as I consider such action to be cyber-bullying and totally detrimental to the ethos of what Thai Visa is all about.

It is nasty, senseless, and stifles intelligent debate.

Surely we are better than that? :(

This is my last post on this subject. :angry:

I have never, ever, launched an unprovoked attack on anyone on Thai Visa.

In fact, I have often exercised considerable constraint when debating with people who insist on hurling insults at me.

Someone starts an innocuous thread, advising us on a new place which serves fish and chips (which incidentally are very tasty), and you, without a shred of evidence, accuse him of being in the pay of the owner and proceed to denigrate the place in the most shoddy and reprehensible manner.

No wonder Thai Visa doesn't allow bars, restaurants and other establishment to be 'named and shamed' any more, which is a pity, as intelligent debate on the merits or otherwise of any particular place would be to everyone's interests. We only have the mindless, unjustified and unfair clap trap that people like you seek to post to thank for this seemingly draconian action.

But I will not deny that if someone does take it into their minds to insult me or others , then I will often jump to my (or their) defence as I consider such action to be cyber-bullying and totally detrimental to the ethos of what Thai Visa is all about.

It is nasty, senseless, and stifles intelligent debate.

Surely we are better than that? :(

This is my last post on this subject. :angry:

give me a break Mobi, he even admitted later he expected to get free fish and chips and beer for doing it

i am surprised it was allowed to run it was so blatant, when you were a mod, you would have done the same as i did and called him on it.

it may have been cleaned up a bit from 9999 minimart but can you really deny its on a dusty corner, with lots of fast passing and fast slowing traffic to make the the right turn under the arch?

can you deny that you can barely see the lake past the trees and grass, never mind feel the benefit of its cooling breezes?

especially now a huge poster has been erected that blocks the view of anything to the right of the plot?

can you deny that as 9999 minimart it has a reputation that extends as far as some of the bars up Nungplabwan as a cheap drinkers cheap charlie joint?

i personally think thats a bit rich coming from them but there it is

i have met with people who live on the brightside at a bar in pattaya and when trying to explain where i live they have been known to say, '' oh yes OK, past magnolias, go on a bit, then is it past that cheap charlie bar on the right?''

i did not create that impression, the patrons of it did, its well know in the area for being exactly that and if you deny it then you are simply sugar coating it and misleading the viwers of this forum like Granville did

its a long drive out here to be disapointed, i know i make the drive there and back most days

i passed 9999 last night on the way home from Jolly friar and despite your glowing report , there were still around 12 men gathered around the outdoor table sitting on the red high chairs and the table was full of beer bottles

so not much has changed really

its still a drinker that now has a chippy

like the fisherman's with an indian

i am not going to deny a nice chippy is a welcome addition to the community.

i am not going to say wether the product is good or bad, i don't now

what i will say is this, as i have said before on this very thread:

'''if this fish & chip restaurant now incorporated into 9999 survives & succeeds it will not be because of its current patrons

it will be to the owners credit IN SPITE of its current patrons''

i genuinely wish them well, if they are so good they won't need bogus posters on TV extolling their virtues for the price of a plate of of fish, chips, mushy peas and a 32 baht Leo

which if one considers that statement, it rather makes my case about cheap charlies i think.......

as to the other stuff Mobi, methinks thou doest protesteth too mutt..........:P

Well there you have it. Yet again an innocent posting has been brought down to the lowest level by someone who has a chip on his shoulder. He's not tried the food and has only observed the customers from a distance but feels fully qualified to give an opinion as to the quality of the fair and the distinction of the patronage. Are we really going to take this person's opinions seriously. I don't think so.

Well there you have it. Yet again an innocent posting has been brought down to the lowest level by someone who has a chip on his shoulder. He's not tried the food and has only observed the customers from a distance but feels fully qualified to give an opinion as to the quality of the fair and the distinction of the patronage. Are we really going to take this person's opinions seriously. I don't think so.

not innocent Granville , paid for in kind by your own admission

so are we to take your ''innocent post'' seriously or view it as exactly it was made and what its intentions were

it was free advertising on Thai Visa designed purely to promote your friends plaice and paid for by your own admission by the reciept of free goods and my you work cheap.......

you can't read either, or can't remember, i told you i have been in 9999 before, i clearly stated it in an earlier post and having been in security work for 15 years, its not difficult to assess people with a mere glance

even if i had never been in there, it does not take much to assess the supposed quality of the patrons when the bar is known all over the area as the cheap charlie bar

seems to me you are a balanced person , you have a chip on both shoulders.........

Yes that's right and he could start selling champagne and maybe call it The Lakeside Hilton and that would keep everybody happy. LOL

i am flattered you are stalking me on other threads Granville but please do not try to address things that are way above your pay grade

i don't think there were be many takers for champagne in 9999 unless it was 32 baht a bottle.........

i always have what i think is cod at jolly friar and village

my wife has the Dory

its distinctly different

i think mines Cod, it has the flavor and consistency but i am not a fishmonger by trade......

Thanks. I should have stated what I know for certain: Simons does serve cod, which is a bit expensive, and another type of fish (no idea what it is) that is less expensive. I should not have listed Simons above. So, Simons does serve cod and it is likely given what you said that these two places also serve cod: Jolly Friar and Village Chippy. 9999 serves cod? Hey Brits, yes you, what is that other fish that is very similar to cod but is less expensive? Haddock? I like the firm, white meat and not the mushy fish stick crap. I think I heard a Thai girl say something similar to this the other day at one of the bars :)