Getting My Baby Son To England

Hi all

I'm having a few probs with what to do about getting my baby to England. He was born 1 month ago and my wife and son are in BKK and i'm now at home and want them to come for December over xmass and new year.

He is regesterd with the british embasy and now I need to make his passport and they told me that will take 6 weeks, so I called again and they said I could get a 'emergency travel document' and it will only take 1 day with all the paperwork sorted out. But when my wife called they said 'no can not' 'need passport'

I tryed to call today but due to the heavy rain they are short of people to answer the phone!!

Has any one got any info how I could get him over here quite fast, i miss him!!

thanks

i beleive you cannot get an emergency passport if you havent had a passport before

Best to get your new born a passport ASAP, all forms can be downloaded for yu to fill in and send off to them, or scan to your missus... i dont think it takes 6 weeks , more like 3

also, if your kid is coming at xmas, have you also sorted th visa out for your missus to accompany him?

i beleive you cannot get an emergency passport if you havent had a passport before

Best to get your new born a passport ASAP, all forms can be downloaded for yu to fill in and send off to them, or scan to your missus... i dont think it takes 6 weeks , more like 3

also, if your kid is coming at xmas, have you also sorted th visa out for your missus to accompany him?

I've called and they asid I could get a emergency travel document for him, when she called they said can't, I was trying to call again today but like I said there was no one there to tell me.

And we are all ready to get her visa, we have everything waiting, but we need some of the same paperwork like our marrage papers and babys birth papers to do it, just trying to juggle them right to save time.

I was just trying to find out if anyone else has done the same.

Also was wondering if he comes on a emergency travel document if we can send of for his passport when he is here.

I've called and they asid I could get a emergency travel document for him, when she called they said can't,

I can't imagine our Embassy is as all over the place as that really, you'd either be able to do it or not..

A bit of advice from me would be to do it all yourself & not let May do anything with regards to our Embassy..

I think you need to be in an "emergency situation" to get the temporary travel document, and it doesn't sound like you qualify based on what you say. In your shoes I'd get a passport application lodged right away.

I'm presently waiting for two kids' passports, and the 6 week period passed yesterday. I have called the ridiculously priced passport careline, which cost me £16 and left me no wiser. I then emailed the Bangkok embassy, who were very quick to liaise with Hong Kong and establish that they have a backlog there due to a recent typhoon! I'm told that my passports will be leaving the UK in the next few days. The embassy staff have followed the matter up several times for me, and I really can't fault them for helpfulness and efficiency.

I've called and they asid I could get a emergency travel document for him, when she called they said can't, I was trying to call again today but like I said there was no one there to tell me.

And we are all ready to get her visa, we have everything waiting, but we need some of the same paperwork like our marrage papers and babys birth papers to do it, just trying to juggle them right to save time.

I was just trying to find out if anyone else has done the same.

Also was wondering if he comes on a emergency travel document if we can send of for his passport when he is here.

The British Embassy/Consulate don't keep any original documents when you apply for the child's passport.

You take all the originals to the Embassy/Consulate with you, they copy them and counter-sign your application to say they have seen the originals.

They then pass all your original documents back to you.

Not sure what you do, as your passport is in the UK with you.

A lot easier to do everything in Thailand when you are here.

Also they don't need your wifes Birth Certificate or passport (as many Thais don't have these documents), her ID card and translation in English are acceptable.

(You also need an English translation of the kids birth certificate and your marriage certificate)

One wonders why, you reported the birth but didn't get a passport at the same time.

As reporting the birth is unnecessary, and a purely voluntary step.

But getting a passport is quite important.

PS

I would be more worried about the VISA application for your wife.

Getting her one is not easy. Don't think her having an English baby and husband will count for anything.

Edited by ludditeman

I've called and they asid I could get a emergency travel document for him, when she called they said can't,

I can't imagine our Embassy is as all over the place as that really, you'd either be able to do it or not..

A bit of advice from me would be to do it all yourself & not let May do anything with regards to our Embassy..

I suspect The Embassy staff did not realise at first that the Emergency Passport was going to be a first passport, hence the original advice, once they were aware of this fact then they gave the correct advice.

I have to say I have always found embassy staff easy to deal with, be they staff from The UK or locally employed - maybe I'm just lucky.

There are two types of emergency documents - the Emergency Travel Document, which takes a few days to issue, and the Emergency passport, which is normally issued in one day. As far as i know, both of these documents are replacement documents, not for first time issue. The reasoning being that as they are issued overseas, then twe applicant had a passport to travel overseas in the first place. I don't think the baby will qualify for either of these documents.

Obviously, if this was an emergency of some kind, then arrangements would be made, but wanting your family in the UK for Xmas will not be seen as an emergency.

You should have your wife get the Thai passport ASAP.

There may be a problem there, as well.

I believe both parents have to sign to get the passport. Your wife should be able to sort out exactly what they need.

The Thai passport offices, in my experience, are very efficient and easy to deal with.

Good luck.

I believe both parents have to sign to get the passport. Your wife should be able to sort out exactly what they need.

The Thai passport offices, in my experience, are very efficient and easy to deal with.

Yes, but as I have already said, the child would need a visa if travelling on a Thai passport.

Yes, but as I have already said, the child would need a visa if travelling on a Thai passport.

And if the kid only has an English passport, will need a VISA to re-enter Thailand.

So stuffed at both ends!

Well I called again today and no one could help me again as there was not the right person at work again because of the floodings. I cant do it all my self she has got to do a lot of it, im in englsnd now.

Good idea, thats what I was thinking today, but the my wife said I need to be there aswell.....arrrr.....

so my options are wait 6 weeks for english passport.

or get thai passport and get a visa for him. cant be hard to get a visa for my son.

but looks like I will have to fly there just to go and wright my nane on a bit of paper!!! ting tong!!

I dont care what way round it all goes i'm just trying to find the fastest way now for them to come over, after new year we will be back in thailand and have got all the time in the word to do what needs doing, I just want them here, its my wife and son, I have already had to spend 6 months away from my wife because they didnt want a pregnant non english person here.

any more options anyone???

Good idea, thats what I was thinking today, but the my wife said I need to be there aswell.....arrrr.....

so my options are wait 6 weeks for english passport.

or get thai passport and get a visa for him. cant be hard to get a visa for my son.

but looks like I will have to fly there just to go and wright my nane on a bit of paper!!! ting tong!!

I dont care what way round it all goes i'm just trying to find the fastest way now for them to come over, after new year we will be back in thailand and have got all the time in the word to do what needs doing, I just want them here, its my wife and son, I have already had to spend 6 months away from my wife because they didnt want a pregnant non english person here.

any more options anyone???

You'll need to get your son BOTH passports, the UK one which means he isn't going to need a visa for the UK, and a Thai one for departure and entry into Thailand.

The last thing you want is your son re-entering Thailand on a UK passport, as it makes him subject to Thai visa rules. Best to get the Thai passport straight off the bat.

The Thai passport is generally fairly easy with a three day turn around in normal cases, but it does require both parents to sign for it. Best bet, given you are overseas, is to approach the Thai embassy in the country you are in. Ask them if there is a power of attorney form there you can sign and then can post to Thailand. Your wife can then take this form to the passport centre and the passport can be organised.

As I'm not a UK citizen, I'm not familiar with UK passport protocol.

Also get his mother to get him a Thai Passport straight away. Good Luck.

By all means get a Thai passport, but if your child travels with that he will need a visa to enter the UK.

child can (and should) have both passports to negate the need for ANY visa's.

My questions are:

Are you officialy married to your wife or is she a girlfriend that you describe as a wife?

Why is your family in Thailand and you in another country?

These are the same questions the Embassy may ask.

And if you really do miss them so much, why not just visit them in Thailand over the Christmas period and while you are there, make all the arrangments for getting the lady and your child over to your own country? Because unfortunately there is no ways that you can fast track this service.

My questions are:

Are you officialy married to your wife or is she a girlfriend that you describe as a wife?

Why is your family in Thailand and you in another country?

These are the same questions the Embassy may ask.

And if you really do miss them so much, why not just visit them in Thailand over the Christmas period and while you are there, make all the arrangments for getting the lady and your child over to your own country? Because unfortunately there is no ways that you can fast track this service.

Yes we are married :)

and...

They are in BKK because my son is only 1month and 4 days old, he could not fly till 4 days ago. I regesterd him with the british embasy when he was 3 days old, that took 3 weeks for the papers to come back, and the Hospital did it all anyway, What I did'nt know was it would take 6 weeks to get his pasport. The other prob is we need the same paperwork to give to the British embasy to get my wifes visa, and that takes 2'ish weeks,

Yes I do need to sign to get a thaipassport but they tols her today that it can be send to UK.

And the reason i'm here is i only work 6 months, from jan till july im in Thailand I just want them here, They would not let her here all summer because she was pregnant and the gov dont want the hospital to spend a penny on my son and so she had to stay there on her own and not have me to help her being 2 times bigger than normal.

And now she has to take care of the baby on here own for months while the piss about sending all the paper work to Hong kong for them to have a look at it and tell the English to make a passport and send it to Hong Kong to have a look at then send it to BKK.....

and why is there Thai people answering the phone in the British Embasy...Its ok to have a chat to the guy at the hotel or someting but to try and have a in depth conversation. They told me no one could get to work for the last 4 days because of the floods, so no one to help with my questions, Even told me someone would call me this morning and they shut a 1pm so would be 7am in UK but when I had had no call buy 6.50am I called and they sad "sorry we shut at 12 and holiday on monday so call back tuesday" a week to tell me the answer to a question that when I asked in English the answer was "yes" and my wife call's to find out what to do in Thai and they said "mai di"

Sorry for going ting tong but its driving me crazy not seeing my wife and little baby, I just wish some one would give me a straight answer what we need to do for now, In to months I'll sort any other things out just whats the fastest way to sort it out now.

By the looks of it getting a thai passport and then sending it of to get a visa along with my wifes is the fastest way.

To be honest im more worried about my wife getting to deprest on her own, she is finding it hard on her own being a young mum away from any family to give her any help, and all this running around to the embasy and passport office and the 24 hours bus to north to sign his name her home town gov office, she is really lonly :(

Where thes a will theres a way.....and I normaly find it...cheway doway!!!

They are in BKK because my son is only 1month and 4 days old, he could not fly till 4 days ago. I regesterd him with the british embasy when he was 3 days old, that took 3 weeks for the papers to come back, and the Hospital did it all anyway, What I did'nt know was it would take 6 weeks to get his pasport. The other prob is we need the same paperwork to give to the British embasy to get my wifes visa, and that takes 2'ish weeks,

Yes I do need to sign to get a thaipassport but they tols her today that it can be send to UK.

Strange that your experience and mine differ so wildly.

I did the Passport and birth registration at the same time a few weeks back. They didn't keep any of my original paperwork, the originals were inspected, copied, and passed right back to me. I also did the Thai birth registration at the Amphur office myself.

So why did they keep your original documents for weeks?

If this is your wife doing the paperwork, are you sure she understands.

If you want something done in Thailand, you have to do it yourself, in person.

I think the answer is simple.

Wait for two months and do the application in person because by the time you get the passport for your son/visa for your wife you could be back in Thailand! :whistling:

RAZZ

I guess you never been away from ur first baby for long.....thanks but thats a shit answer!!!

Strange that your experience and mine differ so wildly.

I did the Passport and birth registration at the same time a few weeks back. They didn't keep any of my original paperwork, the originals were inspected, copied, and passed right back to me. I also did the Thai birth registration at the Amphur office myself.

So why did they keep your original documents for weeks?

If this is your wife doing the paperwork, are you sure she understands.

If you want something done in Thailand, you have to do it yourself, in person.

I've not given it to them yet, I want to know what to do first, any way just waiting for all the diff bits to come and sending the letters from here to there.

No i'm not totaly sure she undrstands!!!

If finding it hard to do everything from Uk :( and cant be flying london to bangkok all the time!!

I'm actually a couple of steps behind you but I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see how you resolve your problem.

My newborn was just born in Thailand, my last name is on the birth cert but I am not married to the mother. How do we get our child a Thai and/or a UK passport?

There is no rush as we might not go to the UK until next summer but I would like to do what I can as soon as I can.

TIA for help.

I think the answer is simple.

Wait for two months and do the application in person because by the time you get the passport for your son/visa for your wife you could be back in Thailand! :whistling:

RAZZ

I guess you never been away from ur first baby for long.....thanks but thats a shit answer!!!

Well - ask a silly question you get a silly answer!

As has been pointed out to you by some very knowledgeable posters there are rules and regulations and to adhere to them TAKE'S TIME...but by all means see if you can beat the system! :whistling:

You'll still be bleating on here in another 6 weeks...we've yet to hear about how to get you wife to the UK!

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

My friend got his GF to UK last weeks for a holiday and he's only known her 4 months, it took less than a week. But hes not 60 and shes not 25, he's in his 30s and shes in her 20s going to uni and he lives / works in Thailand.

Cracks me up how people have wifes and babys when they don't even live in thailand or same country for that matter ermm.gif imaginon all the old pervs and mail order brides the embassy has to deal with, no wonder they are busy.

I was on holiday for 1-3 months and I've fallen in love with a Asian girl half my age or 3x my looks with no degree or career, were married and I wanna take her back with me. Thats the 6 weeks waiting list right there laugh.gif

Edited by Bingo66

My friend got his GF to UK last weeks for a holiday and he's only known her 4 months, it took less than a week. But hes not 60 and shes not 25, he's in his 30s and shes in her 20s going to uni and he lives / works in Thailand.

Cracks me up how people have wifes and babys when they don't even live in thailand or same country for that matter ermm.gif

None of what you posted has anything to do with the OP.

I'm actually a couple of steps behind you but I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see how you resolve your problem.

My newborn was just born in Thailand, my last name is on the birth cert but I am not married to the mother. How do we get our child a Thai and/or a UK passport?

There is no rush as we might not go to the UK until next summer but I would like to do what I can as soon as I can.

TIA for help.

You just go along to the British consulate/embassy with

Thai birth certificate + certified translation in English

Your passport, your FULL birth certificate

Her ID card or passport or Birth certificate + certified translation in English (only one of these documents requited)

2 Passport photos of baby.

and fill out the forms.

UK doesn't require you to be married, your name on birth cert is OK

Cost for registration + passport 14,300bht, passport only about 7,500bht

Thai passport, gf just applies at the office that issues passports, you are not involved as Thailand do not recognise you as the father.

Edited by ludditeman

Well I called again today and no one could help me again as there was not the right person at work again because of the floodings. I cant do it all my self she has got to do a lot of it, im in englsnd now.

Sorry to hear that & after my 8 Years here i wish you all the best, because i get the feeling you're gonna need it, anyone would when leaving them in charge of doing something important..