Signs Of Public Doubting Yingluck's Abilities As Bangkok Braces For Deluge

webfact

I suspect there are quite a few red shirt supporters that wish that they had not taken that 500 baht to vote Yingluck into office. As her stated platform during the election was to bring her brother back to Thailand, the red shirts cannot be too surprised that she has proven herself to completely incompetent in the face of an actual crisis. I feel sad for the Thai people......

Another fallacy. There was no need to spread any money around. I know for a FACT that up north there was no money given out.

As has wisely been stated by Ozemade and I quote again:

It would not matter who was in power, they were not going to stop this flood.

New Orleans natural disaster, could not stop flooding.

Brisbane Queensland natural disaster, could not stop flooding.

Thailand, natural disaster, could not stop flooding.

North Queensland Australia, has just had 14 inches of rain in 24 hours, natural disaster cant stop flooding.

To mention a few recent ones.

Do you think she is GOD, give me a break.

Oh, NOT freaking again!

No ONE ever blamed her for flood, BUT for her incompete.... Oh forget it. :angry:

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is becoming insane. just taking the flood as the background for the endless political game.

This Government has only 2 months, they are inheriting of a messy organisation pin-pointed by UN. Who has set up those agencies? dozens of years of successive government.

I think the stupid people are the posters who continue their bashing. It is time to be adult and try to help instead to blackmail systematically....

What abilities did they think she had? She is a complete political novice, a clone, and a puppet. Seriously there is little any one politician could do in the face of this natural disaster, but the PM's handling of it has been awful. Maybe next time Thais should look for some sort of competence in the people they elect.

When she comes to TV - she looks completely LOST in the mess. She can only idiotically smile (yet her eyes not smiling at all) and nervously talk to the ppl with lots of her common "kor thod/mai roo/na ja"- and nothing more than just that.

But this is not the answers ppl are waiting from their PM and from the leader of the country.

It's reflected in the opinion polls that reveal such a huge majority of people are disappointed in her and her government's abysmal response to the flood.

It's been a rude wake-up call for the populace.

in this case, sadly, the populace got not what they deserved, but exactly what they asked for.

Agreed.

North Queensland Australia, has just had 14 inches of rain in 24 hours, natural disaster cant stop flooding.

give it a rest and leave it to your friends reds to spout nonsense crying lets get 10,000 boats drop stones, dont worry no problem the Un and rest say they have cooked it up 100% They cant stop floods but for 2 months they have done nothing to lessen the effects or help people prepare for it. Misinformation and crazy plans and ideas. They are totally plainly incompetent and most know it except blinkered totally brainwashed people like you To say what your comments are worth would for sure get me banned. Grow up and smell coffee

I suspect there are quite a few red shirt supporters that wish that they had not taken that 500 baht to vote Yingluck into office. As her stated platform during the election was to bring her brother back to Thailand, the red shirts cannot be too surprised that she has proven herself to completely incompetent in the face of an actual crisis. I feel sad for the Thai people......

Another fallacy. There was no need to spread any money around. I know for a FACT that up north there was no money given out.

As has wisely been stated by Ozemade and I quote again:

A posting that states that no money was given out, does not deserve to be read any further than that.

Real everyone know how the last elections were. And this time ALL major parties paid.

What abilities did they think she had? She is a complete political novice, a clone, and a puppet. Seriously there is little any one politician could do in the face of this natural disaster, but the PM's handling of it has been awful. Maybe next time Thais should look for some sort of competence in the people they elect.

"Yingluck has a lot to learn if she wants to hold on to power. First, she needs to assemble a coterie of her own supporters, not those who back her brother. Through these people, she can exercise her power to get things done the way she wants".

But she did!!!! she said so herself. I can clearly remember her saying "my brother has no input into the selection of the cabinet and government officers - surely the prime minister wasn't lieing, was she????? Thaksin was a complete bystander when the government was set up - you don't think he was up to something when a sizable number of (the now cabinet) went to pay him a visit for his birthday bash, surely!!!!

Its funny though because the foreign minister and this and that minister in a position to argue the case for getting Thaksin an amnesty seemed to have been ever so quiet on the matters relating to their actual job remit and are for some reason furiously beavering away, searching for a means in which they can expedite Thaksins return to Thailand, get him his passport back and plead for him to be allowed into countries like Japan so that he look like a statesman again (just like in times gone by).

Second, with help from these advisers, she can toughen her stance against whatever forces rock the stability of her government. She needs this and she should act fast. Sadly for her, with a disaster of this scale, the honeymoon period is over.

Stability???? What is she to do??? sack the whole blooming lot of them (and herself for that matter) and start again??? A tad late for that I think - is the water going to suddenly recede or disappear if that happens - Khun Thaksin wouldn't take too kindly to younger sis dismantling his baby either (what am I saying, I forgot, they are Yingluck's chosen ones) silly me!!!!:blink:.

"The honeymoon period is over"!!!! - they have finalised the divorce more like it. Her ministers do not have any faith in her, she does not have any faith in them (or herself). The people do not have any faith in any of them!!!! What an incredulous shambles this is!!!

Regrets???? I bet she has quite a few now!!! Thanks bruv - that's another fine mess you've gotten me into (absense of smile):unsure:.

your having a laugh aren't you she does not have one single thought except how she looks and getting her brother back come on you are taking piss aren't you or re their people so naive like you around Sorry i just reread and yes your being ironic but you see so many here seeming to believe Jingluk is anything more than a 100% puppet I know its hard to believe their are people who genuinely believe she is something other and also amazingly several who seem to believe Taksin and his lot etc have any care at all for Thailand and its people instead of just for themselves but then their are still people who believe the earth is flat and earth is centre of universe

"Yingluck has a lot to learn if she wants to hold on to power. First, she needs to assemble a coterie of her own supporters, not those who back her brother. Through these people, she can exercise her power to get things done the way she wants".

But she did!!!! she said so herself. I can clearly remember her saying "my brother has no input into the selection of the cabinet and government officers - surely the prime minister wasn't lieing, was she????? Thaksin was a complete bystander when the government was set up - you don't think he was up to something when a sizable number of (the now cabinet) went to pay him a visit for his birthday bash, surely!!!!

Its funny though because the foreign minister and this and that minister in a position to argue the case for getting Thaksin an amnesty seemed to have been ever so quiet on the matters relating to their actual job remit and are for some reason furiously beavering away, searching for a means in which they can expedite Thaksins return to Thailand, get him his passport back and plead for him to be allowed into countries like Japan so that he look like a statesman again (just like in times gone by).

Second, with help from these advisers, she can toughen her stance against whatever forces rock the stability of her government. She needs this and she should act fast. Sadly for her, with a disaster of this scale, the honeymoon period is over.

Stability???? What is she to do??? sack the whole blooming lot of them (and herself for that matter) and start again??? A tad late for that I think - is the water going to suddenly recede or disappear if that happens - Khun Thaksin wouldn't take too kindly to younger sis dismantling his baby either (what am I saying, I forgot, they are Yingluck's chosen ones) silly me!!!!:blink:.

"The honeymoon period is over"!!!! - they have finalised the divorce more like it. Her ministers do not have any faith in her, she does not have any faith in them (or herself). The people do not have any faith in any of them!!!! What an incredulous shambles this is!!!

Regrets???? I bet she has quite a few now!!! Thanks bruv - that's another fine mess you've gotten me into (absense of smile):unsure:.

your having a laugh aren't you she does not have one single thought except how she looks and getting her brother back come on you are taking piss aren't you or re their people so naive like you around Sorry i just reread and yes your being ironic but you see so many here seeming to believe Jingluk is anything more than a 100% puppet I know its hard to believe their are people who genuinely believe she is something other and also amazingly several who seem to believe Taksin and his lot etc have any care at all for Thailand and its people instead of just for themselves but then their are still people who believe the earth is flat and earth is centre of universe

Punctuation is your friend.

Punctuation is your friend.

Or just a glancing acquaintance..

Katrina came up in the Gulf and hit NO over a matter of 5 days. This flooding situation has built over months. No comparison.

It is a bad comparison but surely if we all put our heads together we can help OZEMADE come up with a better one. Anything to avoid actually addressing this current government's performance... or lack thereof.

Someone tell ozemade that these monsoons, big rains , just started in Thailand this year, we have never had them in the past 200 years, never, nope, no rain at all.

Then put him on ignore, he sounds like thaksins brother in law.

haha brilliant!

Looking at the larger picture, it seems that Thaksin is running the cabinet with Yingluck only a puppet. Perhaps this shows the inability of Thaksin to do anything in an intelligent way - he's great at opening his big mouth and often coming up with nonsensical rubbish, but managing something like this? He's shown that he is absolutely not capable. And once again the poor people of Thailand suffer, losing their jobs and homes. One disaster after another ................

YS, a political novice with questionable leadership qualities, was well known before the election, but the Thai majority still elected her based on her "image". So, the only things to be said now is "you dealt it and you live with it".

Not only the poor Thai suffered, I believe everyone suffered to a certain degree. But hopefully next time around, the Thai people will get smarter to elect someone that can actually help and lead, not just look good.

Very constructive critisism, I think NOT. It is a natural disaster that no one was going to stop. The only thing that can be done here is like New Orleans and Queensland! CLEAN UP AFTER IT.

I am from New Orleans and even though everyone knew the storm was headed their way, the government did nothing; not the state nor the city. Hundreds of school busses that could have evacuated people were left to the flood, no shelters were prepared, no plans for the hospitals or anything, The state could have called out the Nationsl Guard to help with the evacuation and security of key installations but they didn't.. The federal govt. cannot get involved until after the damage is done.

I see strong parallels between New Orleans and Louisiana government inaction and the Yingluck government. When Chiang Mai was flooding and more depressions were shown on the satelites, Ms. Yingluck was visiting Asean countries, trading niceties and the rest of her government was deciding who to replace in the bureauocracy to put in the mechanisms to bring back Dr. Thaksin. Unlike the hurricane, this disaster has been building for months and only in the last two or three weeks has this government taken it seriously and even when the got serious, they have bungled it with power struggles and attention whoring. Now it is too late and it is time for finger pointing so that they can't just sweep their poor performance under the rug.

You cannot stop the skies from raining.

but you can certainly manage the effects and address.

This year is a massive rainfall year, everyone knew that since late July, when July's massive rainfall made it inevitable we would see flooding.

Shortfalls of the current government include:

- not starting to take action from the moment they became the government, as it was obvious this was going to be an issue

- ignoring providing aid from Aug - late Sep when multiple areas were underwater; no aid was provided

- failing to take any action during Sep when it was clear that a large amount of water was headed south; certain government factions also refused to open their areas to allow the flooding to the spread, slowing down the speed of runoff; BMA began preparing in isolation but not much else was mobilised to clear klongs etc

- once flooding became widespread, steady refusal to allow experts to manage relief, and reliance on government ministers who have zero knowledge experience to run operations

- as of today, still not actual relief program; heavy reliance on the private sector to do it; work is patchy and areas are being missed out/over supplied

- as of today, armed forces not fully mobilised nor heading up relief operations

- as of today, no clear single spokesperson explaining what is going on EXCEPT Bangkok where the BMA have now stepped in given the government's failure to do so; rumour control non existant (yesterday I was told variously Kosarn rd flooded; Sukhumvit flooded, Don muang flooded, offices to be shut tomorrow - none are true)

- as of today, no task force maintaining optimum water flow at every bridge/obstacle along the path of the water

- as of today, no clear strategy for compensating the people financially affected

- as of today, millions of baht wasted daily on a scheme to reward boat owners who wish to run their engines all day churning up water and doing not much else

- as of today, no clear strategy for dealing with infection and disease for areas who have been under the water for up to 90 days now

- as of today, no obvious listening to experts or any grand plan to coordinate various agencies; into that vacuum we are hearing loons and idiocy (refer to the point above on the boats)

- as of today a lack of armed forces and police ensuring civil order (up country it is getting 'a bit rough' in some places where food etc is scarce and there is some minor looting - also issues with flood barriers)

It isn't that one government is bad and one is good. But it is pretty simple.

- appoint the right people to administer relief (army)

- appoint a spokesperson to explain what is going on (one person) for both locals and foreign trade organisations who can then disseminate accurate information

- form a task force to address the flood waters and try to take action where it is possible (Thai met, royal irrigation, regional representatives, flood experts, engineers, BMA)

- change govt policy to provide immediate financial and personal relief

- mobilise healthcare and other experts to support people in need

- form camps in all available areas for those needing it; do not rely on private sector only; e.g. there are millions of acres of land in Chonburi available for camps (army to run)

Strutting around in burberry boots and taking pics answering the phone or crying - and waiting for the private sector to solve it with stubborn refusal to bring in the only massive source of manpower with the equipment to solve...can only do so much.

Ecellen post!

But .... if she were to go, resign, get sick, give-up or whatever .... who would PTP replace her with? Chalerm? Banharn? Sudarat? or how about Jatruporn :ph34r:

Banharn and Sudarat are ineligible as they are banned politicians. Jatuporn is unacceptable even to Thaksin, as he is a red shirt leader and none of them were even allowed in the cabinet. Leaves only Chalerm.

If Chalerm is PM, Dr. Thaksin can never come back as Chalerm like power as much as Dr. T

It is becoming insane. just taking the flood as the background for the endless political game.

This Government has only 2 months, they are inheriting of a messy organisation pin-pointed by UN. Who has set up those agencies? dozens of years of successive government.

I think the stupid people are the posters who continue their bashing. It is time to be adult and try to help instead to blackmail systematically....

And the current government appointed the head of each and every one of those agencies and departments. Did they appoint qualified people ready to step up to the responsibility or did they reward political supporters? As Harry Truman said, "The buck stops here".

But .... if she were to go, resign, get sick, give-up or whatever .... who would PTP replace her with? Chalerm? Banharn? Sudarat? or how about Jatruporn :ph34r:

Banharn and Sudarat are ineligible as they are banned politicians. Jatuporn is unacceptable even to Thaksin, as he is a red shirt leader and none of them were even allowed in the cabinet. Leaves only Chalerm.

If Chalerm is PM, Dr. Thaksin can never come back as Chalerm like power as much as Dr. T

Give Payup Shinawatra a crack at it...

payup.jpg

Lack of government leadership to blame

Culture Ministry to launch cultural website to help flood victims

BANGKOK, 20 October 2011 (NNT) - The Culture Ministry is planning to launch a new comprehensive cultural website in the hope that its online media could be another marketing channel for the country after the floods recede.

According to Culture Minister Sukumol Kunplome, the new website will feature everything about Thai culture, including performing arts, the local wisdom, cultural attractions and annual festivals. Producers and operators of local products will be offered a space on the website to advertise their goods.

The Ministry has also planned to invite local wisdom gurus to help with its job training programs for flood-hit people and launch cultural fairs to enable local producers to sell their goods.

Furthermore, entertainment activities involving well-known performers will be held in flood-torn provinces to help rebuild the people’s spirits.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-10-20 footer_n.gif

Edited by Buchholz

And the current government appointed the head of each and every one of those agencies and departments.

Actually they didn't.Thailand does not have the US tradition of public officials being appointed by a new incoming administration.

And the current government appointed the head of each and every one of those agencies and departments.

Actually they didn't.Thailand does not have the US tradition of public officials being appointed by a new incoming administration.

You mean they didn't rep;ace the National Police chief or the head of the prison dept. or the head of ISOC or that Emergency managment post they transferred Wichean to. I read an article where it was reported the Dr. T spent two hours or Skype naming all the people he wanted to be department heads. If you get all your news from Red-Shirt publications, you miss a lot.

BANGKOK, 20 October 2011 (NNT) - The Culture Ministry is planning to launch a new comprehensive cultural website in the hope that its online media could be another marketing channel for the country after the floods recede.

According to Culture Minister Sukumol Kunplome, the new website will feature everything about Thai culture, including performing arts, the local wisdom, cultural attractions and annual festivals. Producers and operators of local products will be offered a space on the website to advertise their goods.

The Ministry has also planned to invite local wisdom gurus to help with its job training programs for flood-hit people and launch cultural fairs to enable local producers to sell their goods.

Furthermore, entertainment activities involving well-known performers will be held in flood-torn provinces to help rebuild the people’s spirits.

nntlogo.jpg

Where DO they find these guys.

Is there like a closet filled with myopic ministers in waiting????

nntlogo.jpg

Where DO they find these guys.

Is there like a closet filled with myopic ministers in waiting????

In this case, gal.

6642.jpg

Sukumol Kunplome (far right) is the wife of TRT Banned MP Sontaya Kunplome (center)and the daughter-in-law of convicted murderer and current fugitive Somchai Kunplome (below).

donotpassGo.jpg

Interestingly a couple of polls of a variety of flood affected provinces contradicted the poll heavily pushed by the unmentionable one that was conducted only in BKK and nearby surrounds

http://www.ryt9.com/s/abcp/1259604

http://nidapoll.nida.ac.th/files/NIDA_Poll20111019.pdf

Government scored over 8 out of 10 in both for performance on dealing with floods

Yes they do .... Minister of Health, Minister of Interior, Minister of Education, etc etc etc .... just like USA Secretary of Health, Secretary of Education, etc etc etc.

Nope she could not prevent the flood, but she had over a month to prepare the flood defenses, she should have made the order 4-6 weeks ago. A lot of preparation and defenses could have been put in place during that time. The canals could have been dredged, the reservoirs could have been drained, flood walls could have been built, action plans could have been drawn up, food supplies could have been prepared, evacuation plans could have been put in place.

Instead she focused on getting her brothers supporters into positions of power, back tracked on her election promises and did basically sweet <deleted> all.

Now that the waters are here, what is she doing? Photo ops, crying on TV, sending donation money to Cambodia and getting Thaksin's brother in law promoted to cheif of police... yay way to go YL, you rock!

+1

Excellent post. I couldn't agree more.

No, it's not signs of the public's doubt, it's just one more sign of how biased and mean-spirited The Nation newspaper is.

Shame on you, The Nation, for being so blatantly biased against the current administration.

No, it's not signs of the public's doubt, it's just one more sign of how biased and mean-spirited The Nation newspaper is.

Shame on you, The Nation, for being so blatantly biased against the current administration.

Yes ... as long as the government doesn't get any blame for their incompetence.

One might reasonably ask: why weren't any of these things you mention already in place? Thailand experiences flooding nearly every year and had very bad floods a few years back?

Other than the fact you a typical trash-talking, Taksin hater, there is no excuse that everything you say was not already prepared.

Taksin-Yingluck haters soooo transparent....

You cannot stop the skies from raining.

but you can certainly manage the effects and address.

This year is a massive rainfall year, everyone knew that since late July, when July's massive rainfall made it inevitable we would see flooding.

Shortfalls of the current government include:

- not starting to take action from the moment they became the government, as it was obvious this was going to be an issue

- ignoring providing aid from Aug - late Sep when multiple areas were underwater; no aid was provided

- failing to take any action during Sep when it was clear that a large amount of water was headed south; certain government factions also refused to open their areas to allow the flooding to the spread, slowing down the speed of runoff; BMA began preparing in isolation but not much else was mobilised to clear klongs etc

- once flooding became widespread, steady refusal to allow experts to manage relief, and reliance on government ministers who have zero knowledge experience to run operations

- as of today, still not actual relief program; heavy reliance on the private sector to do it; work is patchy and areas are being missed out/over supplied

- as of today, armed forces not fully mobilised nor heading up relief operations

- as of today, no clear single spokesperson explaining what is going on EXCEPT Bangkok where the BMA have now stepped in given the government's failure to do so; rumour control non existant (yesterday I was told variously Kosarn rd flooded; Sukhumvit flooded, Don muang flooded, offices to be shut tomorrow - none are true)

- as of today, no task force maintaining optimum water flow at every bridge/obstacle along the path of the water

- as of today, no clear strategy for compensating the people financially affected

- as of today, millions of baht wasted daily on a scheme to reward boat owners who wish to run their engines all day churning up water and doing not much else

- as of today, no clear strategy for dealing with infection and disease for areas who have been under the water for up to 90 days now

- as of today, no obvious listening to experts or any grand plan to coordinate various agencies; into that vacuum we are hearing loons and idiocy (refer to the point above on the boats)

- as of today a lack of armed forces and police ensuring civil order (up country it is getting 'a bit rough' in some places where food etc is scarce and there is some minor looting - also issues with flood barriers)

It isn't that one government is bad and one is good. But it is pretty simple.

- appoint the right people to administer relief (army)

- appoint a spokesperson to explain what is going on (one person) for both locals and foreign trade organisations who can then disseminate accurate information

- form a task force to address the flood waters and try to take action where it is possible (Thai met, royal irrigation, regional representatives, flood experts, engineers, BMA)

- change govt policy to provide immediate financial and personal relief

- mobilise healthcare and other experts to support people in need

- form camps in all available areas for those needing it; do not rely on private sector only; e.g. there are millions of acres of land in Chonburi available for camps (army to run)

Strutting around in burberry boots and taking pics answering the phone or crying - and waiting for the private sector to solve it with stubborn refusal to bring in the only massive source of manpower with the equipment to solve...can only do so much.

Ecellen post!

So you don't think the public has doubts about, for example, the OP photo of the banned politician with an non-engineering MBA acting as the Flood Control Adviser or even more dubious, the Criminal Justice major acting as Flood Control Adviser?

:blink: