Let The City Die

Soi Sauce

OP: Just how did you come up with Chiang Mai is free of flooding? CM was flooded only a few weeks ago. People are building barriers and putting up sandbags as many are convinced there will be MORE flooding in CM.

Yes some flooding a few weeks ago but very limited and life went on. Today dry, the ping river is high but not flooding and the rainy season is coming to an end. Nothing like Ayathuya. I can't see anyone putting up sandbags here today!

I think you are living in some other world/ planet/ town

With statements like that you probably live somewhere in Chiang Mai province but not Muang and certainly not within one kilometer of the river, otherwise, you would recognize the recent floods as being some of the worst the city has ever seen.

Agree that assessment of the flooding in Chiang Mai three weeks ago is exaggerated and it was nothing at all like what's been plaguing Nakhon Sawan, Ayuthaya and now the perimeter of Bangkok. I've lived in central Chiang Mai for 8 years and although it was catastrophic for hundreds of people along the Ping especially in Chang Klan district and downstream, it was very localised, was gone within days and had very little effect on most people. If you remember the 2005 floods they were a lot worse overall, lasting many days and much more widespread.

I was also here for the 2005 floods and living in the same building, from our viewpoint the water reached the same depth locally on both occasions and made accessibility equally as bad although I agree, the duration was shorter this time around (presumably to drainage works in our area) and was nowhere as bad as the floods seen in other parts of the country subsequently.

All this talk about Reuben s so I had to try one today - good quality ingredients in good quantities but the sum of the parts was not better than the finished product and really that was I think down to the preparation. In my experience it's not a good idea to grill the bread, assemble the sandwich and then finishing the grilling, I think the flavor of a Reuben comes from grilling the sandwich from start to finish so that the flavors meld and blend. Also, whether it's Russsian dressing or 100 Islands it doesn't matter, it should not be optional in a container on the side since the dressing is an integral part of the sandwich recipie, if folks don't like the dressing then they ought to request it be left out else order another sandwich. Overall I score the Reuben here at 7.5 out of 10 but with a couple of changes it could be higher.

A welcome diversion to take everyone's minds off the floods. :)

All this talk about Reuben s so I had to try one today - good quality ingredients in good quantities but the sum of the parts was not better than the finished product and really that was I think down to the preparation. In my experience it's not a good idea to grill the bread, assemble the sandwich and then finishing the grilling, I think the flavor of a Reuben comes from grilling the sandwich from start to finish so that the flavors meld and blend. Also, whether it's Russsian dressing or 100 Islands it doesn't matter, it should not be optional in a container on the side since the dressing is an integral part of the sandwich recipie, if folks don't like the dressing then they ought to request it be left out else order another sandwich. Overall I score the Reuben here at 7.5 out of 10 but with a couple of changes it could be higher.

A welcome diversion to take everyone's minds off the floods. :)

To say that my posts are screwed up would be an understatement!

OP: Just how did you come up with Chiang Mai is free of flooding? CM was flooded only a few weeks ago. People are building barriers and putting up sandbags as many are convinced there will be MORE flooding in CM.

Yes some flooding a few weeks ago but very limited and life went on. Today dry, the ping river is high but not flooding and the rainy season is coming to an end. Nothing like Ayathuya. I can't see anyone putting up sandbags here today!

I think you are living in some other world/ planet/ town

With statements like that you probably live somewhere in Chiang Mai province but not Muang and certainly not within one kilometer of the river, otherwise, you would recognize the recent floods as being some of the worst the city has ever seen.

Yes, the floods were worse than normal but there was only one day when it not easy to get into town. My wife works in the centre and got in every day.( and I went in every day too) The floods were localised, not like those we see north of Bangkok. A completely different scale and they only lasted a few days, not the weeks we see in the south. As a example, Pantip Plaza at the night market had the ground floor damaged but was open again within 2 days. As I said, a different scale entirely.

Edited by msg362

Yes, the floods were worse than normal but there was only one day when it not easy to get into town. My wife works in the centre and got in every day.( and I went in every day too) The floods were localised, not like those we see north of Bangkok. A completely different scale and they only lasted a few days, not the weeks we see in the south. As a example, Pantip Plaza at the night market had the ground floor damaged but was open again within 2 days. As I said, a different scale entirely.

Agreed; more importantly though, Bangkok is completely at the ass-end of any rainfall that falls (almost) anywhere to the North. Chiang Mai just has the Chiang Mai valley to worry about, so while the river may have to deal with a lot of water in some years in September/October, it is relatively minor, and can be managed better.

Bangkok on the other hand has the problem that it lies so low that it's even hard to get water out to sea during high tide, AND it's sinking while sea water levels are rising. That's a very different proposation than a Northern town, even one located in a valley.

But I don't think Chiang Mai should be the capital, it just clearly isn't a capital for the whole of the country. So if becomes a capital then please only for the Northern Lanna provinces, after seceding. ;)

Wouldn't it just be easier to build dykes than move the capital to Chiang Mai?

Move the capital of Thailand from BKK to CM where there was "some" flooding but very "limited" and life went on. All I can say is, you two must have found some great smoke up there. Take it easy on it would you, before you come up with more brilliant solutions and denials. cheesy.gif

If you think that my posts say that the capital should be moved to CM then you should lay off the lao khao when posting or get a better understanding of the English language.

But is it water they are afraid of or a swarm of stupid self serving politicians :D

---------------

Not sure.

But water drains off and eventually goes away...even if it leaves a mighty stink behind.

Politicians on the other hand.....

;)

FYI, Chiang Mai was also underwater for a few days. The Ping River runs through it. Perhaps - Chiang Rai would be better. No flood here.

Wouldn't it just be easier to build dykes than move the capital to Chiang Mai?

Move the capital of Thailand from BKK to CM where there was "some" flooding but very "limited" and life went on. All I can say is, you two must have found some great smoke up there. Take it easy on it would you, before you come up with more brilliant solutions and denials. cheesy.gif

I agree. FIghting against the elements of nature is useless. The PM has conceded defeat; all hope is lost. The longer they block the flow of water, the chances of survival will decrease (due to food and water shortages). After so many days of "crying wolves", the finale of what we and the people are waiting for has yet to come. I bet some people is locked up in their own home eating their stockpile of food. When their food wand water supplies run out, only death awaits. I already hear that some areas of the water has turned yellow (from twitters). By the end of this disaster, this place will truly be called "the city of angels".

Edited by AngelofDeath

If Myanmar (Burma) can do it - Why not Thailand?

Changing the capital of one's country is not that easy..... just incase you don't know.....

As soon as their mental regime falls, that capital will be more or less abandoned. They didn't move it there for normal practical reasons.

If Myanmar (Burma) can do it - Why not Thailand?

Changing the capital of one's country is not that easy..... just incase you don't know.....

As soon as their mental regime falls, that capital will be more or less abandoned. They didn't move it there for normal practical reasons.

So where's the difference between them and PTP?

PTP ain't governing for normal practical reasons.

Edited by Soi Sauce

Chiang Mai is full, sorry, try Pattaya.

Finally we have a gentleman with a sense of reality and a great idea. Pattaya would be a great place and I second the motion....biggrin.gif

Pattaya would NOT be a good plcae for a new Thai capital!! It is still more or less at the same sea-level as BKK, i.e 3-4 meters!

A MUCH better move would be to make Kakorn Ratchasima the new Thai Capital for several reasons:

1. It's 187m above sea-level.

2. Floodings are quite rare, even though parts of the province witnessed flooidng last year due to a busrt dam in Khow Yai.

3. It is the 'bread-basket' of Thailand provinding fruits, meat, vegs., rice etc for most of Thailand.

4. Nakorn Ratchasims is THE biggest province in Thailand with thousands of rais of under-developed land just waiting to be developed.

5. Has a 1st. class domestic airport , which could easily be developed into an international one.

6. Good infrastructure, roads, largest university in Thailand (Suranaree Univ. of Technology)

and

7. ONLY 3 hours N.E of Bangkok!

These are only some of the reasons I can thinks of right now as to why Korat/Nakorn Ratchasima should be the BEST choice for a new capital.

Pattaya would NOT be a good plcae for a new Thai capital!! It is still more or less at the same sea-level as BKK, i.e 3-4 meters!

Is it built on a river system? That's the main flood risk rather than freak tides unless there's a tsunami.