Moon Beach Party

Since my last walk around four months ago I see a small resort on Plai Laem beach has now been demolished and replaced by a 'Moon Beach Party' concert venue with bars spreading halfway across the beach.

There is also a car park at the side which looks like it would take a couple of hundred cars easily.

Does anyone know when/how often the place is open? What is the noise problem like?

Bar prices look a bit on the high side to me, I sure won't be going.

post-22832-0-58935000-1319169651_thumb.j

post-22832-0-55855700-1319169676_thumb.j

At the moment the parties are twice a month. Black moon and then approx 2 weeks later.

Excessive noise from about 7 pm to 6 am. Absolutely no chance of a good nights sleep in the area nearby.

Not very well attended and they (illegally) block the beach.

I think that it was about 400 baht after 9 pm (or it could have been 500 baht after 10 pm). I do not care as I will not be going.

I will be doing the usual raindaince on the next one. :(

I think that it was about 400 baht after 9 pm (or it could have been 500 baht after 10 pm

Are you talking about entrance fees?

Sorry not to be clear - yes. That's the entrance fee

Entrance fee!! ahahahahaha......it just gets even worse!

Mugs the lot of 'em! biggrin.gif

i dont know if it is the same owner but i have never forgotten what a hight mare it was to try and sleep when the black moon opened on the lake road. Techno thump alll night long.

Yes it's the same people. I have been told that they will re-open on the lake road when all of the work there is finished. (So it should be quiet for a year or two!!!)

i dont know if it is the same owner but i have never forgotten what a hight mare it was to try and sleep when the black moon opened on the lake road. Techno thump alll night long.

Yes, it is the same owner. A lokal Thai who set himself abov the law.

I went for a ride down there the other day to check out the beach but saw a private property sign and thought better of it, really want to check out the beach there. Is it off limits during the day?

Is it actually possible to own beaches, or more specifically, parts of beaches that are in public places?

What do the major resorts do when they own hotels that are situated in the middle of a major beach? Surely they dont "own" that little bit that is fronting their hotel?

Is it actually possible to own beaches, or more specifically, parts of beaches that are in public places?

What do the major resorts do when they own hotels that are situated in the middle of a major beach? Surely they dont "own" that little bit that is fronting their hotel?

Yes, it is possible to own a beach.

HRH the King owns all the beaches in Thailand.

He does not sell.

Yes, it is possible to own a beach.

HRH the King owns all the beaches in Thailand.

He does not sell.

Poorsucker is spot on.:thumbsup:

Some staff at hotels try and say otherwise. They may own access to a beach, but they cannot own the beach itself. If they try to throw you off the beach, tell them that you wish to discuss it with their GM. :jap:

Most beaches have some public access. eg the entrance at the Sala in Choeng Mon is a government road. It just looks like a hotel road. (That is why the taxis can park inside the hotel grounds!)

Plai Laem Beach (where the BMP is) has a number of public access points. (I know of at least three.) Once on the beach, the public have a legal right of way to all of the beach. However, if you end up being beaten to a pulp by 'security', knowing that you are right is not that much of a consolation! :(

I went for a ride down there the other day to check out the beach but saw a private property sign and thought better of it, really want to check out the beach there. Is it off limits during the day?

No, we walk the beach most days.

Not off limits at any time. (Except as already said, maybe they block it off when they the venue is open).

Access to the beach is easy from at least two government paved roads.

At the moment the parties are twice a month. Black moon and then approx 2 weeks later.

Excessive noise from about 7 pm to 6 am. Absolutely no chance of a good nights sleep in the area nearby.

I think that it was about 400 baht after 9 pm (or it could have been 500 baht after 10 pm). I do not care as I will not be going.

How close are you to it? How far away can you hear the music?

I live on a hill next to the Arayaburi Resort - porbably about 1 kilometer as the crow flies.

To the north and west, the noise is heard from the Sixth Sense - The Rose Samui - Tongson Bay Bungalows (Coco) - Melati. I do not know how far south the noise travels.

At my place - we get almost no sleep at all. The noise level had been turned down a couple of times previously, but the last party - awake all night. :(

How the unfortunate people living close to the beach cope - GOK.

130 Baht for a Heineken?? blink.gif

Its a proper rip off aint it! laugh.gif

The whole island is a rip off.

the whole island is not a rip off.

I went to Honda yesterday to get a new seat clip fitted, and it cost a staggering 138 baht fitted

Had whole new seat fitted to a Honda Wave in CMX for 250.

I live on a hill next to the Arayaburi Resort - porbably about 1 kilometer as the crow flies.

To the north and west, the noise is heard from the Sixth Sense - The Rose Samui - Tongson Bay Bungalows (Coco) - Melati. I do not know how far south the noise travels.

At my place - we get almost no sleep at all. The noise level had been turned down a couple of times previously, but the last party - awake all night. :(

How the unfortunate people living close to the beach cope - GOK.

Hmm, I'm looking at some land that falls within that area :(

I also heard they were moving back to Lake View but because they aren't getting enough people out to Plai Laem.

Did you hear that from someone in the know or is it a chinese whisper?

I thought they had moved from Chaweng in the first place because of complaints over noise.

I also heard they had a 3 year lease.

Problem is I'm not going to spend £0.01 based on what people may or may not know.

Other problem being wherever you are something could pop up in the future!

I also heard they were moving back to Lake View but because they aren't getting enough people out to Plai Laem.

I thought they had moved from Chaweng in the first place because of complaints over noise.

Problem is I'm not going to spend £0.01 based on what people may or may not know.

As you say - lots of whispers and no matter where you are, some arxxhole can build a karaoke bar next door.

I was told that the party guys were not making money in Plai Laem (visits by friends confirms very low numbers) and that the party was going to move back to the lake after the roadworks there were completed.

I cannot name names, but the information is from senior guys responsible for large business ventures in the surrounding areas. They have been talking to the people involved. Their businesses are suffering because of the noise pollution. Not quite Chinese whispers.

(I edited out the nested quotes)

Edited by Tropicalevo

It is the BlackMoon party from Chaweng Lake View Arena, that has moved out there, arranged as usual by the owner of Sound Club/Bar Solo (they are closed, when BlackMoon party is held). Entrance fee usually 200 baht, but may be depending on some named foriegn DJ's playing. Party goes on from around 10 pm until 6 am. Can be quite noisy, if you do not fancy tech-house music. May just be a temporary solution, due to road work in front of Chaweng Lake View. However, they have before rented beach space in Chaweng (Big Bamboo) to expand the business with some beach parties - seems like the "old" stuff from Big Bamboo has been moved out there.

As you say - lots of whispers and no matter where you are, some arxxhole can build a karaoke bar next door.

I was told that the party guys were not making money in Plai Laem (visits by friends confirms very low numbers) and that the party was going to move back to the lake after the roadworks there were completed.

I cannot name names, but the information is from senior guys responsible for large business ventures in the surrounding areas. They have been talking to the people involved. Their businesses are suffering because of the noise pollution. Not quite Chinese whispers.

(I edited out the nested quotes)

Interesting, thanks TE. I imagine the roadworks in Chaweng will be finished long before I've finished my homework and made a decision, so will wait and see. Fingers crossed all round!

Well, I have just seen the poster advertising Black Moon Party on the beach 28th October TONIGHT!

Sounds like Plai Laem could be in for a sleepless night. :(

really??I thought it was on Wednesday night, well it sounded like it, now i'm wondering what it was on Wednesday night that we could hear in Maenam, it wasn't local.

Hope it gets rained off yorkie

Edited by BangrakBob