International Bandwidt Article

Temp

Just in time for Christmas for the big boys at XXLoxXXX. Trough, and the other charlatans. If you really believe that savings will be passed on to us here, I have a bridge in Brookly, that I would like to interest you in.

"The Sea-Me-We4 submarine cable network would nearly span 20,000 km - approximately half of the circumference of the globe - linking 14 countries from Singapore to France via Malaysia, Thailand, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria and Italy, and with 16 landing points."

Now we'll all have higher speed access to all those websites in the Asia and the Middle East. :o

I love the name they came up with for this network, Sea-me-we. :D

Related news:

NTC pushes more Internet gateways

BANGKOK: -- The National Telecommunications Commission will go ahead and issue more international Internet gateway (IIG) licences, currently monopolised by CAT Telecom, after deciding that it would not affect frequency bandwidth allocations. The regulatory body reached its conclusion after four hearings with industry leaders, according to Gen Choochart Promprasit, the NTC chairman.

Operations that involve frequency bandwidth need approval from the combined 14 members of the NTC and the yet-to-be set up National Broadcasting Commission (NBC). Satellite and third-generation (3G) operations require bandwidth allocations and so licensing must have both NTC and NBC approval.

Despite conducting two public hearings on satellite licensing, the NTC could not reach a conclusion without the formation of the NBC.

However, because Shin Satellite, which already has four satellites, can operate without changing its bandwidth frequency, the NTC could issue the company a licence. New satellite operators would have to wait for the NBC, he said.

At the last hearing on IIG licences early this month, private operators said the service would be cheaper when there were more operators, he added.

One representative from True Corporation said lower licence fees would enable the company to offer high-speed Internet service at one megabit a second at just 590 baht a month.

Currently, users who pay 590 baht a month can obtain access speeds of 256 kilobytes a second, he said.

Gen Choochart said the NTC had not fixed the number of IIG operators that would be approved.

CAT Telecom Plc monopolises IIG operations, with TOT Plc hoping to enter the market next year.

The NTC wants to complete a basic framework for 3G licences by the end of the year with final details, including licence and spectrum fees, by mid-2006.

Two public hearings have been held to date to discuss the terms of the licences, with the final hearing to take place today.

But uncertainties over the formation of the NBC could result in more delays.

--Bangkok Post 2005-11-14

I can understand your skepticism, but the point is this will vastly improve connectivity between Europe and SouthEast Asia. Bandwith improvements on the Internet are somewhat contagious if bottlenecks can be escaped so I at least think this will not be a bad thing.:o

Europe has good link to USA and SEA will have good link to Europe.

Cheers.

However, because Shin Satellite, which already has four satellites, can operate without changing its bandwidth frequency, the NTC could issue the company a licence. New satellite operators would have to wait for the NBC, he said.
Boxhead just *has no shame*...I think this should read:
However, because Shin Satellite is owned by the PM, the NTC could issue the company a licence no problemo. New satellite operators would just have to wait until hel_l freezes over, or until the NBC gives them approval. The former seemed more likely, he said.
Edited by Crushdepth

Boxhead just *has no shame*...I think this should read:

However, because Shin Satellite is owned by the PM, the NTC could issue the company a licence no problemo. New satellite operators would just have to wait until hel_l freezes over, or until the NBC gives them approval. The former seemed more likely, he said.

:o Is someone actually trying to set up a competing satellite company? If so, they must crazy?

It is good news that "The National Telecommunications Commission will go ahead and issue more international Internet gateway (IIG) licences...".

Now let's see some follow-up. When are they going to issue them? And to whom?

Temp I do agree that any additional international bandwidth is a good thing.