Thai Nationality For Foreign Males?

I'm wondering if somebody knows for sure whether it is possible for a foreign male to get Thai nationality?

I've heard that foreign females married to Thai males can become Thai nationals; but it's impossible for foreign males married to Thai females to receive it.

Sometimes I hear that it is possible anyway!

It's very confusing!

Can somebody please clarify the situation with a simple yes or no?

Has a foreign male ever been successful in obtaining Thai nationality?

I mean a Western male!

My situation...

1.I have lived permanently in Thailand for over ten years and I got my "Resident

Permit" about two years ago.

2.I have my name in the house registration papers.

3.I've been married to a Thai female for more than ten years

4.I can speak,read and write Thai well.

5.Have got work and workpermit

Thanks in advance for all informed answers!

Snowleopard.

You are probably closer than 99% of the board members to qualifying for thai nationality. It's relatively straightforward for resident permit holder who can speak, read and write the language to a reasonable level. Follow the link posted in the reply above and act asap before the rules change again. Good luck.

It's relatively straightforward for resident permit holder who can speak, read and write the language to a reasonable level

Hello davidm,

Thank you very much for replying.

Do you know of anyone who has applied and been successful?

I've read in another thread that a male cannot get Thai nationality by being married to a Thai female!

Is this the same issue as having a Permanent Resident Permit and then applying for Thai nationality;or are they separate issues?

I'm still a bit confused!

Could you or somebody else give me some more detailed information about cases of which you know?

Thanks in advance!

Snowleopard.

Just to clarify something here, I was told by the special branch office in bangkok that I must apply for citizenship in the province my spouse is registered in. I duly attempted this but no one knew what to do or how to do it! So, I would suggest you call the special branch office in bangkok and find out exactly what you need. The number I have for it is: 02-252-1714. Good luck, I have had none in trying to do this (and I am a western female with a thai husband). Get back to us if you get some good info, like you don't have to apply in your home province, since mine is clueless!

I am a western male who has obtained Thai citizenship. It is not easy but you sound like you fit the bill. If you have speacial skills it helps and if you our not above 55 years of age. I don't now many who have obtained Thai citizenship(speaking males) but it is takes persistence. Good Luck

Easymoney,

Would you please give us more details on two points:

1. Special skills - would you please expand on this.

2. Not above 55 years old - I'm hoping I'm misinterpreting your words here, because I take it you mean foreigners above 55 are ineligible.

I"ve had PR for about 6 years. My company lawyers suggest from time to time that they submit an application for Thai citizenship.

They say they are confident of success, I'm over 55 but they have never mentioned any 55 age limit.

They have suggested that it would take 2 to 3 years to process, and they have indicated that it would be quite expensive, whereas a link given by another poster says the fee is 5,000 Baht. However this perhaps means that the application fee is 5,000 Baht, rather than the fee to actually issue the passport.

Look forward to your commenst

Thanks, regards

Alanw

I am not sure if this is the right forum, but the subject has been mentioned twice in the thread so here goes.

Regarding permanent residency:- does anybody know how many of the 100 places per year per nationality are taken up? ie is there a surplus of applicants? I am English, Do palms have to be greased? (Heavens Forbid)

The non-refundable application fee is a fairt bit of money and I would hate to apply not having a chance to start with.

Thanks for any help,

Regards,

Derek

Khon Kaen

Alanw, I think the expensive part would be the lawyer fees, the application fee is 5000 baht. Again, call the special branch guy yourself, see what he says. Sometimes going through lawyers isn't the best way (but if it is in this case let me know 'cause like I said, I am having no luck doing it on my own).

Lungbing,

My experience was about 6 years ago, so could be a little out of date.

- My understanding is that it's not 100 per country, the number is different per country, smaller number for 'smaller' countries.

- The year I got PR, most of the allocations were unfilled. The allocation for my home country was 100, the number approved was 4. From memory the number of applications was 25.

- I used a Thai agent who was excellent, but unfortunately he has since moved to live in US.

- In my case (if I do apply for citizenship) my company lawyers would be involved. I won't name the company but it's probably the best known most respected international law firm in existence. Their fees are expensive, but they are absolutely not 'rip-off' merchants, they are much too aware of protecting their very excellent reputation. However I'm not going to disagree that there are plenty of local lawyers who won't hesitate to tell you blatant lies, and attempt to clear out your pockets.

- The 'process' does need a 'helping hand', I'm sure you can interpret my meaning.

- I called my lawyers this morning re the age limit. They called their senior contact at Immigration. The comment was something like 'there is no age limit, no reason to impose any age limit'.

Easymoney,

Would you please give us some expansion re 'special skills'. Does this mean a specific skill, or does it mean higher education?

I find this thread very useful. I look forward to reading other contributions.

Good luck

Alanw

Regarding permanent residency:- does anybody know how many of the 100 places per year per nationality are taken up?
When I applied about three years ago,there were only two applicants of one hundred for my country.
I am English

I heard that England had the highest number of applicants but I don't think one hundred qualified that year.

Do palms have to be greased? (Heavens Forbid)
They asked me several times in interviews if I had an inside contact who was trying to help my case and I assured them I didn't.That helped my application I think because I was finally successful;eventhough, it took a year and a half to get it decided!

The policy seems to be,"no bribes"!

It's the Interior Ministry that decides.

The non-refundable application fee is a fairt bit of money and I would hate to apply not having a chance to start with.

You have to be in it to win it! :o

You get free visa stamps while you're waiting for the decision!

I had several interviews and they video filmed me a couple of times.

I also got a test in Thai proficiency with questions about Thailand.

The test was very easy! :D

Cheers!

Snowleopard.

I am a western male who has obtained Thai citizenship.
How much,if anything,did you have to pay apart from the 5000 baht application fee?
I don't now many who have obtained Thai citizenship(speaking males) but it is takes persistence.

1.How long did it take from application until you got it?

2.How long had you lived in Thailand before you applied?

3.Are there more documents to submit than for a Permanent Resident Permit?

4.Could you keep your old nationality or did you have to give it up?

Thanks for replying and showing that it is indeed posible for a Western male to get Thai citizenship! :o

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

Hello again easymoney,

Could you please come back and elaborate a bit on some of your experiences in getting Thai citizenship? :o

I think some folks like alanw,sbk and myself would appreciate if you could explain a few things we're wondering about in our posts!

Thanks in advance! :D

Snowleopard.

Dear Easymoney,

I confirm Snowleopards comment / request.

Can I start with a few questions which are on my mind, which I guess would be of interest to all who are closely watching this thread:

1. Earlier you mentioned 'special skills' - can you please expand on this. Did you mean a very specific skill, or perhaps advanced education - if so, at what level? I have a PhD, so I'm hoping that would give me a few points.

Further, I've heard mention that the more important point is whether the applicant would be seen as very strongly contributing something which has strong benefits to the development of Thailand. Any comment here?

2. Age limit of 55 - As I posted earlier, my lawyers checked this point and were told there is no age limit - 'no reason for an age limit'. However I've since heard again that there is an age limit. Can you please give us more details on this point.

3. Thai language. From your experience, was language ability a serious requirement (compulsory), for example a certificate of proficiency, or was it a nice 'plus'? Further, was listening & speaking the more serious part, or was reading & writing ability also a serious part of the 'test'?

Look forward to your counsel, and to some other questions please.

Thanks

Regards

Alanw

Hi, I talked with easymoney about this a few months ago, and one thing I can confirm is that he did get to keep his nationality. Apparently it is up to your own govt. He told me that the Thai govt. sends notification to your govt and then they let you know if you are allowed dual citizenship. Americans are allowed to keep their original nationality in addition to the Thai nationality.

Here is the thread:

citizenship thread

Sorry for delay getting back and answering your questions but my internet connection was not operating up to snuff and too this thread just slipped past me.

1. It took me a little over two years after applying. That said it is the norm 3 or more years.

2. Special skills : It helps to bring something of value to the table. In my case I am one of 12 or 13 people in the world who has the special expertise in telecom/computer engineering.

3. I know 6 males who have been successful(including myself). 3 had Royal help, 2 political (me too) and 1 who had niether. I personally forced the issue as I made the staffs and ministers come see me out of country. They got tired and I believe helped things along. Too Thailand gained foriegn currency because I have a Thai company bringing in jobs from overseas.

4. 55 . It is what I was always told by officials but never read it in print.

5. I think 5k might be right although I spent much more on misc. no bribes

6 I am an American and have dual citizenship and it is up to each country.

7. The reason for such a hard time for farangs doesn't come from Thais as much as from Chinese/Thai type. There seems to be a phobia with them. This is not universal as you only have to look at Singapore as they embrace foriegners.

8. I think that times are a changing and over the next few years a slow liberacition of the laws will take place.

Hi Easymoney, I'm not looking (yet) for Thai citizenship but a couple of questions if its ok:

1 - What is your special telecoms expertise? I'm interested since I'm a technical expert in SMS and MMS, again one of a few :o

2 - Why did you want to gain Thai citizenship? Was this down to minimising all the visa/work permit requirements or for other reasons?

cheers

Simon

Alanw, having a Phd is an excellent start and yes as always some are more sought after than others. The special sills thing really comes into play where they can't find a Thai that can accomplish the same thing and none on the horizon. That said there are some areas where they just need more qualified people. One thing on Thaksin is he recognized that Japan , Korea ,China and India sent their people out to gain the expertise but they also imported some.

Simon43- will be glad to communicate with you via email this forum on related job experience. On underlying reason to become Thai. Many , children, land house and minor land holdings if wife preceded me, Thais after 33 years finally figured out I understood their language as well if not better than alot of them. I really never spoke in public Thai and this was an advantage to me. You do have to be able to control yourself. I guess though I love Thailand and will tae my peace here so wanted to be coon Thai