Blood Pressure

nong38

I came back to Thailand in June and brought with me a blood pressure testing machine from a company called SANITAS ( Germany). I did not use it until the floods stopped me getting to the hospital for a monthly check. My laast 2 monthly checks were 132/76 and the most upto date was 130/74. Since using this unit my BP has gone up to 142/105 if I can get it to do a reading 50% of the time it tells me an error has occured, I will get back to the hospital ASAP but could be 3 weeks before they are up and running again, any thoughts? I feel OK, 65 years, 5'7" weight last time at hospital was 70kg and have lost some since then which was 2 months ago. Bike ride every morning at least 8kms, 5 beers a week, eating lots of fruit and veg so thinking I am doing all the right things.:blink:

Likely that the problem is with the machine but you need to get that checked. Why does it display an "error" message? Is this a wrist type of cuff? They are not accurate anyway..

The measurement needs to be done on the same arm, same position and repeated if the reading fluctuates much..

i have a german one visomat 300,i would check the batterys first,if you have a cuff band is there a description showing how to take your bp.wrap the cuff arround your left wrist with your elbow on the table,the arm raised so that the cuff is in line with your heart and the parm of your hand facing you and the machine is directly under your left hand,i always give it a couple of minutes before testing.

the device should have an owner's manual that should have descriptions for error messages...if you don't have one look on the internet (google the brand name) and download...

I have an OMRON machine and the most common error reading is for a bad 'cuff' placement which is in line with the other posters' comments...next time at the hospital do a reading with the machine and see how it compares with the doctor's reading using professional equipment...

if you're around 140/100 it's high but not to be alarmed about; last month I collapsed with 197/124 and uncontrolled diabetes and now I'm struggling to get below 165/100 after being off work and resting at home for 6 weeks...most of us geezers on thaivisa are terminal anyway; one foot in the grave and the other onna banana peel, etc...you're doing pretty good...

Checked the batteries and they seemed ok, I have a battery tester. Still coming up with the same figures or there abouts, so I guess what I need to do is when the hospital is up and running again, its under water right now, is to take my machine a long ask them to check me theirs and then ask for them to use mine and see what comes up.

Thanks for all your help and comments, I will sleep easier now........... after a red wine.:rolleyes: