Unregistered Pre-paid Mobiles To Be Disconnected

Jai Dee

its all pointless ,the london bombers just used their mobile phones to set off the train bombs using just the alarm timer on the phone and on modern phones you dont need a functional SIM card to do this ! there was no signal to the phone activated bombs because the train tunnels were too deep. just the timer was used .

so someone tell taksin despite no SIM card the timer alarm will still work and setoff a bomb!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A question, O Great Native Farangs:

I travel to Thailand from time to time, and I changed my cellular to a double-SIM back, so I can put a Thai pre-paid SIM while in Thailand and still have my original SIM in the phone.

With this new regulation, when I next travel to Thailand, does it means I won't be able to use a Thai Pre-paid SIM ? What is the "registration" requirement for two-weeks' visitors ?

Thanks,

RB.

I don't understand this whole thing sorry. Some posters seem to be saying it's only the southern Thai provinces that need to register but others sound like it's nationwide:

"Minister of Information and Communication Technology Sora-at Klinpratoom (สรอรรถ กลิ่นประทุม ) reiterated that all signals from prepaid mobile phones will be discontinued if they are not registered by Novermber the 15th 2005."

When I first bought my SIM card 4 years ago and signed the papers.... does that mean I am registered????????

Help????

Seonai

I don't understand this whole thing sorry. Some posters seem to be saying it's only the southern Thai provinces that need to register but others sound like it's nationwide:

"Minister of Information and Communication Technology Sora-at Klinpratoom (สรอรรถ กลิ่นประทุม ) reiterated that all signals from prepaid mobile phones will be discontinued if they are not registered by Novermber the 15th 2005."

When I first bought my SIM card 4 years ago and signed the papers.... does that mean I am registered????????

Help????

Seonai

It's late and you should be sleeping! :o

Help????

Seonai

Go to your nearest phone shop... DTAC or AIS or whatever. What are you afraid of? Talk to them!

I travel to Thailand from time to time, and I changed my cellular to a double-SIM back, so I can put a Thai pre-paid SIM while in Thailand and still have my original SIM in the phone.

With this new regulation, when I next travel to Thailand, does it means I won't be able to use a Thai Pre-paid SIM ? What is the "registration" requirement for two-weeks' visitors ?

Thanks,

RB.

"I changed my cellular to a double-SIM back"

Please tell me more, make and model?

News to moi :o

Hi, can anyone help...

I have a Thai SIM card, but will be in the UK until January. How do I register it and if I can get someone to do it for me, do they need the actual SIM card, (as it's in England with me)?! Are you able to change the registered keep at a later date?

Thanks.

I'm in the same boat but downunder, and no chance of being back in LOS by 31/12.

One sim card is in my wallet, the others are packed away in storage in soi 26.

What to do??? :o

Thanks,

RB.

63 users are reading this topic. We want the facts!

Hi, can anyone help...

I have a Thai SIM card, but will be in the UK until January. How do I register it and if I can get someone to do it for me, do they need the actual SIM card, (as it's in England with me)?! Are you able to change the registered keep at a later date?

Thanks.

I'm in the same boat but downunder, and no chance of being back in LOS by 31/12.

One sim card is in my wallet, the others are packed away in storage in soi 26.

What to do??? :o

You have a friend back in Thailand who can register it for you, then "transfer" it to you when you come back? You have to send them the sim of course.

cv

Passport and short form to one of the totes that sells sim cards.  I had my gf do mine .

It was reported since July if I recall.

ditto for me.....only i was with her when the form was filled out and added to the huuuge pile the shop assistant had in tuc com in pattaya.

i wasnt brave enough to ask what happened to the pile of forms she already had.

proof of the pudding will be if my sim card still works when i get back in january.

if it doesnt..does that mean i have lost the X number of baht credit that is on my sim card?

Thanks,

RB.

what make and model of phone has this feature?

AIS currently have ~ 16 million subscribers, with 14 million being pre-paid and the remaining 2 million are post-paid customers. I am certain AIS wishes this were reversed. Foreigners are required to have a work-permit in order to get a post-paid account.

Not correct. I, and several friends (all of us from Europe), have post-paid accounts and none of us has a work-permit.

AIS currently have ~ 16 million subscribers, with 14 million being pre-paid and the remaining 2 million are post-paid customers. I am certain AIS wishes this were reversed. Foreigners are required to have a work-permit in order to get a post-paid account.

Not correct. I, and several friends (all of us from Europe), have post-paid accounts and none of us has a work-permit.

And nobody beaks rules in Thailand. :o

cv

This in not correct too. If you require getting a post-paid SIM card you need to show your passport (for foreigners) and a Thai national should sign as a guarantor. This was my case when I bought my SIM on year 2000. I am working here legally but working permit got no value in this case. :D

They send me few letters in Thai and I threw them back via email and asked for an English translation. :o I got an English translation together with an apologies letter. It said that they are working on a system to send information to none Thai speaking customers in English in the future. After 2 years I start getting all my letters in English. Even the brochures coming together with monthly bill is in English now. :D

They are not stupid. But some one must tell them hard what u prefers or else they stick into what they prefer. From my name they knew that I am not a Thai national from the very first day. But they didn’t give shit about it. :D

Thanks,

RB.

This is not new technology... they've been around for a couple of years already, and are available at many of the telephone accessory dealers you find in places like Panthip Plaza, Tucom etc.

I don't think there's any particular brand name, but depending on the phone type you have, a replacement back panel can be bought that has a twin SIM holder, that enables you to have two SIM cards in your phone.

And nobody beaks rules in Thailand. :o

cv

OK, Mr. Super Moderator, from Chaing (?) Mai or Victoria or wherever, earn your keep, what are the rules as there seems to be different understandings, and experiences, amongst some of the posters on this topic?

This in not correct too. If you require getting a post-paid SIM card you need to show your passport (for foreigners) and a Thai national should sign as a guarantor. This was my case when I bought my SIM on year 2000. I am working here legally but working permit got no value in this case. :D

They send me few letters in Thai and I threw them back via email and asked for an English translation. :o I got an English translation together with an apologies letter. It said that they are working on a system to send information to none Thai speaking customers in English in the future. After 2 years I start getting all my letters in English. Even the brochures coming together with monthly bill is in English now. :D

They are not stupid. But some one must tell them hard what u prefers or else they stick into what they prefer. From my name they knew that I am not a Thai national from the very first day. But they didn’t give shit about it. :D

My posting is correct!! If you read my very short post closely, you will see that I mention that a work permit is not required to have a post-paid SIM card. As foreigners, we had to submit our passports (a fundamental requirement to just be in Thailand...No?), a letter from the Immigration Office confirming our place of residence and, as each of us is married (legally) to a Thai national, a Thai marriage certificate.

As someone has said before, English speaking people are not the "Master Race" that they think they are, so what does it matter if the "AIS Digest" is in Thai as it is of little consequence.

MORE THAN 80% OF PRE-PAID MOBILE PHONE SUBSCRIBERS IN THREE SOUTHERN BORDER PROVINCES HAVE SHOWED UP TO REGISTER THEIR SIM CARDS

Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Minister Sora-at Klinpratoom(สรอรรถ กลิ่นประทุม) said that more than 70 % or 340,000 out of 470,000 phone subscribers in the three southern border provinces have registered their phones. It is expected that more would arrive at the registration counter as today is the last day for registration.

He added those who failed to have their phone registered, will have their signal disconnected from midnight onwards.

He said that such measure does not fully guarantee the prevention of mobile phones triggering offbombs. However it would facilitate investigations.

Source: thaisnews.com ประจำวันอังคารที่ 15 พฤศจิกายน 2548

/Edit - Please note that this news bulletin was issued before midnight last night.

Edited by Jai Dee

I registered 3 months ago, I do not read or speak Thai.

Here is the response from ais someone in udon got a few days ago

Here is the email response from them

Hi One-2-Call member

Thank you for your e-mail. We are glad to answer your question as follows:

This policy is issued for a security reason in Thailand and it is applied to all mobile phone operators in Thailand. However, if you would like to proceed this, you need to bring along an ID card together with SIM card at AIS branches & Outlets nationwide and Telewiz. As this policy relates to a security reason so Thai government requested a cooperation from all parties including people and distributor. This must be proceeded according to government policy and from a rule of Corporation Public Company Limited or (TOT) by December 31, 2005.

In addition, if you want to use your SIM card in the specific areas like Pattanee, Yala and Naratiwas, you have to identify yourself by November 15, 2005. If you do not do within the mentionable period, we will disconnect the service.

Additional Information : For more information of product and serive of One-2-Call you can visit website www.one-2-call.com that you can also apply for Freedom club and you will be able to check balance and validity or join in events held by AIS.

Any questions? Just dial *122# or email us at [email protected] 24 hours' a day.

Freedom Freestyle by one-2-call

Now all monitored calls in the south can be traced to reg users.

I doubt if it really is about terrorists as second hand sims or stolen phone would be easily got by guys who set of bombs.

What company owns DTAC now btw. was it just a rumour about whats his face buying it via a singapore company?

It really was a stupid question!

Here's another...  If you're going to detonate a bomb, does it matter if you're in the south or not?  Could someone do it from a neighbouring country?

Someone could do it from the other side of the planet using a phone bought in any country they like, without a registered SIM card. This current act has no relevance as far as terrorists are concerned and is about knee jerking and getting more control over the plebs. If you still want to set off a bomb remotely get a good car alarm with a decent range on the remote and wire it directly to the car bomb... why use a phone?

I fail to understand why Toxic is doing something that can only harm his business... I think he may be planning something that I have not realised yet. Maybe he intends to use the records he will gain for marketting.

Passport and short form to one of the totes that sells sim cards.  I had my gf do mine .

It was reported since July if I recall.

ditto for me.....only i was with her when the form was filled out and added to the huuuge pile the shop assistant had in tuc com in pattaya.

i wasnt brave enough to ask what happened to the pile of forms she already had.

I registered my phone some 2 weeks ago. All I had to do was write down my name and my passport number. The form was in Thai, but the staff was very helpful. Actually, too helpful...

SHE DID NOT WANT TO SEE MY PASSPORT! I feel much more secure now... :o

This and the questions of stolen phones, unregistered numbers from countries other than malaysia, bombs set off by the alarm function, render this huge bureaucratic action useless. Add it to the list of Emperor Thaksin's achievements.

Now all monitored calls in the south can be traced to reg users.

I doubt if it really is about terrorists as second hand sims or stolen phone would be easily got by guys who set of bombs.

What company owns DTAC now btw. was it just a rumour about whats his face buying it via a singapore company?

There have been a few articles in the Bangkok Post and The Nation re: DTAC's currently on-going change in ownership. As I understand it DTAC is jointly owned by Telenor and a Thai family (UCOM) (and of course by shareholders as it is listed on at least the Singapore stock exchange). Telenor is attempting to assume more complete control buy buying shares from the UCOM in part of a very complex transaction, which would take it's position to something north of 49%. I percieve this to be a controversial and troubling occurrence, for some Thais anyway. I do not believe "whats his face" is involved in the transaction.

Apologies for posting mis-information earlier about the requirement for a foreigner to hold work-permit in order to obtain a post-paid mobile account. I thought that I read of such a requirement in more than one post//thread here on TV, but I am obviously mistaken.

I wonder if the service providers have to share the details of the registration records with any government agencies, or do they just have to have them available in the event of a criminal investigation?

I agree that the SIM registration process appears to have little to do with the actual prevention of the remote detonation of explosive devices, but rather everything to do with keeping tabs on the general populace. Maybe it's no worse than having video cameras everywhere? I am pretty sure I read about a proposal that would require any Thai person posting on the Internet to be first registered with thei ID card. Obviously this would make it easy to locate anyone found posting anything that the government might find 'questionable', and somewhat dissaude the any sort of free expression.

In America, where 90+ percent of the mobile accounts are post-paid, you do need to show a picture ID, have a credit check run on you and provide a home address to open a account. For those purchasing a pre-paid SIM, like from T-Mobile which operates a GSM 1900 network in the U.S.A., you also need to show an ID and provide an address.

Also, it is not difficult to envision a scenario whereby all those DTAC registration records might accidently, through the fault of some lower level government bureaucrat, end up in the hands of AIS who could then target and deliver specific programs and message to DTAC customers encouraging them to switch to AIS. It would be interesting to see what would happen if they had local number portability (the ability to take your mobile phone number with you when you change service providers) here! But I am fairly certain this will never be allowed here.

Edited by lomatopo

Thousands of southern mobile phone users face service cut 

The telephone companies had repeatedly asked their customers via SMS to register over the past few months.

--TNA 2005-11-15

I've had the same number and the same handset for 5 years now

I've never had an SMS telling me to register it - at least not in English, and as I can't read Thai (like the several hundred thousand other farang users of pre-paid in the kingdom) it's no use sending me an SMS in Thai - the phone companies should recognise that from the default language set on my handset - the language setting is part of the ID signal that monitors which cell you're currently in.

I have no idea where I have to do it

I have no idea what documents I have to provide

I had no idea of the deadline until reading this at almost 10pm

They really publicised this well didn't they?

Far be it from me to question anyone but isn't Thai the National Language in the Kingdom?

Thousands of southern mobile phone users face service cut 

The telephone companies had repeatedly asked their customers via SMS to register over the past few months.

--TNA 2005-11-15

I've had the same number and the same handset for 5 years now

I've never had an SMS telling me to register it - at least not in English, and as I can't read Thai (like the several hundred thousand other farang users of pre-paid in the kingdom) it's no use sending me an SMS in Thai - the phone companies should recognise that from the default language set on my handset - the language setting is part of the ID signal that monitors which cell you're currently in.

I have no idea where I have to do it

I have no idea what documents I have to provide

I had no idea of the deadline until reading this at almost 10pm

They really publicised this well didn't they?

Far be it from me to question anyone but isn't Thai the National Language in the Kingdom?

That's the problem, Mr. Visitor from Canada. There are many arrogant foreigners in Thailand who are believe they have the God-given right to be spoon fed with everything in their own language....mostly English.