Flood-Hit Thailand Declines Offer Of Help: US Navy

webfact

According to wiki,

"A typical aircraft carrier in the U.S. military uses nuclear power to desalinate 400,000 US gallons (1,500,000 lt; 330,000 imp gal) of water per day"

But there's loads of water here already. That's the main problem. Why on earth would Thailand want more?

Is the "loads of water" of which you speak of drinkable and proximate?

That's usually a problem during a flood.

" A Thai company that distributes drinking water across the city sent out an SMS to customers announcing deliveries had been halted because of the crisis."

http://www.huffingto..._n_1026351.html

That's what I thought.

Sorry.... I didn't use an emoticon and make it easy for you.

Yes there's flooding.

No, there's no disaster.

You made 3 other comments to 3 other posters in the same post you replied to me.

The other three appeared to be serious responses.

Who could guess you were being sardonic with me?

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Letting in military from other countries is just not an easy decision to make, and US forces are not popular everywhere, ask Japan.

If there was a problem in Texas or California, and the Mexican Armed Forces offered to help it would not just be welcomed with open arms.

I am not saying they should not do it, only that it is understandable if they hesitate.

Too many Thai people dont get angry with their government and politicians about serious issues but would rather cause chaos about an absent former PM, I would furthermore suggest they have this sicophantic loyalty to certain politicians from a family who couldnt care less about them after receiving their vote

Given how much the government has used the Thai military, is it any surprise that they refused the US military help?

Explain this comment, I don't get it. The US military is here on training missions every year as well as regular regional military exercieses. Most all the military equipment is US and if the US didn't come here, the Thai military wouldn't know which end of the barrel to point with.

...today the US help you, tomorrow they'll be ready to reclaim the favor and put it in your a**...

and don't tell me it never happened before

Yeah..........yippie. Finally someone who hits the nail on the head.

US starts moving 3 battle ships into the Thai Gulf.......offer their help which is declined and then they start to moan that their help is declined.

Please US, stay out of this and solve your own shit first. (Oh and please do not refer to the Marshall plan, that was more than 60 years ago and Europe is still suffering.)

Help should come from UN and Red Cross. US is represented in both organisation and that should do it.

Letting in military from other countries is just not an easy decision to make, and US forces are not popular everywhere, ask Japan.

If there was a problem in Texas or California, and the Mexican Armed Forces offered to help it would not just be welcomed with open arms.

I am not saying they should not do it, only that it is understandable if they hesitate.

Actually, in the aftermath of Katrina, with Louisianans being relocated all over Texas, especially in Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, and San Antonio, the Mexican army did organize a food relief convoy to San Antonio, which was graciously accepted, even though they insisted on painting large mexican flags on the entire sides of the trucks, something which American forces usually downplay when they go into a disaster zone.

"There were two channels (in the Thai government)," the defense official told AFP. "One was saying 'Yes' and one was saying 'No.'"

I wonder which channel of the Thai government said no? I sure hope this fact is revealed.

Is this a trick question?

The governing channel OBVIOUSLY.

"You say yes, I say no

You say stop and I say go, go, go

Oh, no

You say goodbye and I say hello

Hello, hello

I don't know why you say goodbye

I say hello

Hello, hello

I say hello"

Perhaps this song was a prophecy. John Lennon

Though the songwriting credit is Lennon/McCartney, it was written solely by Paul McCartney.(Per Alistair Taylor: assistant to Beatles manager Brian Epstein)

... this massive, MASSIVE tragedy.

Where? Have I missed something? The northeast, north, central plains and south has been inundated to varying degrees since March. Now that the Bangkokians can't get down to the club or go for dinner without some measure of inconvenience, only NOW is the time for US military assistance?

If I remember correctly, the USA accepted foreign assistance with the Katrina flooding.

The post- Katrina assistance was due to the total upreparedness of the relevant US government entities and NGO's for the rapidly deteriorating situation after landfall. The Great Flood of Bangkok will be a slow-motion affair; up to 6 weeks to adapt to the dynamics.

All civilized countries accept help (such as Japan this year) when they need to save lives during a tragedy.

Here we go.... uncivilised Thailand again. Japan's tsunami response and urgent need for assistance was compounded by the nuclear emergency that resulted from it.

(ok, Burma does not-- is Thailand wabt to be like Burma?)

Burma refused assistance post- Nargis because they truly don't give a sh!t. There's absolutely no comparison otherwise.

One member mentioned that some potential contributors are being asked to contribute money instead of relief articles. Here in CM I have seen several individuals soliciting money for "Thai people", but have not heard nor seen any collection point for donated necessities.

Backhanders are probably not at the top of the agenda for many at present, but the resilience/longevity displayed by some would indicated they will catch up quickly. The record of handling of cash donations during/after past natural disasters should be a big red flag for all potential contributors.

When we heard on the TV about being asked to donate money. My wife just said most of it will go into the governments pockets.

Yes there's flooding.

No, there's no disaster.

Maybe for you it's no disaster, especially as you posted in the Where Is It Flooding? thread above that you and your family were packing your bags and bugging out for Scotland tonight.

Not only because the farm in Isaan was washed away two months ago.

Edited by NanLaew

Help should come from UN and Red Cross. US is represented in both organisation and that should do it.

Help should come from any entity that offers it. 400 dead, millions adversely affected.

As said, a carrier task force offers tremendous resources.... and it was HERE... and it was here NOW...

and now, it's gone.

The Thai government uses the US military in many ways already and has since the early days of the cold war - read your history everyone. But you don't see the 75th Ranger Battalion training Thai military do you, but they do every year for the past many decades. You don't see the military equipment that is almost all US made from M16s, M60s, tanks to Humvees. All this is is the same that Abhisit did during the red-shirt protests. The US government offered negotiating/mediating assistance and the thai government rejected it. So, the US does play a vital role around the world in many ways they don't get credit for.

And, if you think the US is hated everywhere, you should read the recent article on the King of Jordan very scared the US will shift their focus to the 2012 election and away from the negotiations needed between the Palestinians and Isreal. He is quoted as saying that if the US shifts their attention a vacum will be created and war will be certain. I think that pretty well sums up the need for the US's involvement since the countries of Asia, the Middle East, and many in Europe can't seem to manage their own affairs in a way that doesn't disrupt the entire world.

The Thai gov't also rejected help from the UN over the issue with Cambodia. Those who have mentioned "loss of face" are 100%, bingo, nail-on-the-head correct. They will take the help when it is not in the public eye, under the table, discrete, and when someone can line their pockets.

If all the people who post what they think are facts when they are only opinions, would research the issues and study a little history, you wouldn't be making such ignorant comments.

The Netherlands offered help as well and did sent experts but it was impossible for them to work as no one was in charge and they "the Thai experts" knew everything better. So the left Thailand already.

I agree that the 8 departments that mismanage Thailand's water resources are a bunch of clowns but I think you made that one up.

Help should come from any entity that offers it. 400 dead, millions adversely affected.

As said, a carrier task force offers tremendous resources.... and it was HERE... and it was here NOW...

and now, it's gone.

They will be back in the not too distant future to assist. I can see a lot of sickness and disease happening here, no drinking water already and food is now critical and they have up to 6 weeks of flooding to come and thats if they get no more heavy rain. I am glad they dont have Neuclear Power stations or they would really be in trouble.:ermm:

The Government turned down help from the USA unbelievable. Properly it's because there is no cash been handed out. Just let the Thai's get on with it, They can do anything they are so clever, Farangs we are stupid. When will they ever learn.

Hmmm....

Wonder what the Thai words are for :

Forward planning, common sense and self criticism.

Someone should really translate these words, and send them to younger sister and big brother, asking :

If you apply these words, would the outcome of the entire flooding disaster be any different ?

Sending off a US carrier with loads of helicopters, that usually don't crash, or at least not 3 in one location, could be very helpful.

Those amongst us, asking what use a "ship" could be - try and remember the massive massive aid a "ship" was, during the disaster relief effort in Indonesia.

Practically the only way to get food, medical supplies, water to stranded people.

In many cases evacuating them as well.

I am not sure how many flying helicopters the Thai army have left, but refusing the aid of a carrier full of them, just seems FUBAR.

Edited by peterdk

US help never comes for free and the hidden payback is always much bigger than the actual help.

I am an Aussie and personally think the Yanks have helped all over the world in hundreads of crisis situations. I dont know of any hidden costs or paybacks to date. Can you elaborate on your comment.

"There were two channels (in the Thai government)," the defense official told AFP. "One was saying 'Yes' and one was saying 'No.'"

I wonder which channel of the Thai government said no? I sure hope this fact is revealed.

Is this a trick question?

The governing channel OBVIOUSLY.

"You say yes, I say no

You say stop and I say go, go, go

Oh, no

You say goodbye and I say hello

Hello, hello

I say hello

Hello, hello

I say hello"

Perhaps this song was a prophecy. John Lennon

Though the songwriting credit is Lennon/McCartney, it was written solely by Paul McCartney.(Per Alistair Taylor: assistant to Beatles manager Brian Epstein)

More disconcerting than which said yes and which said no....A high ranking member of the United States Department of Defense just publicly acknowledged that they have two separate and distinct channels of communication open with Thailand, presumably Military, and Political, who are openly in conflict with each other. That is not an indicator of peace and stability in the near future.

...today the US help you, tomorrow they'll be ready to reclaim the favor and put it in your a**...

Are you on drugs? What paranoid planet are you living on?

I thought they liked it up the a@@ because don't they love US soldiers coming over here to pay for the great sex tourist vacations?

If this isn't absolute proof of their bona fide stupidity, nothing is. It's as if they want people to die.

. "One was saying 'Yes' and one was saying 'No.'

I like "maybe" much more, as our Thai staff is answering questions using it all the time....jap.gif

Edited by sirchai

If this isn't absolute proof of their bona fide stupidity, nothing is. It's as if they want people to die.

It's starting to look that way...

It certainly does. A nuclear-powered aircraft carrier task force is capable of providing an astounding amount of assistance from electricity to medical care to food to water to manpower to evacuation helicopters. It runs the whole gamut of help that is unrivaled.

This is absolutely absurd of the government to turn it ALL away.

It's criminal

Post deleted due to the below forum rule:

31) Members are not allowed to quote news articles or material from Bangkokpost.com or Phuketwan inside topics on Thaivisa.com. Posts from members containing quotes will be deleted from the forum. Members posting links referring back to the sites is also not allowed and will be deleted.

1319502821[/url]' post='4791745']

According to wiki,

"A typical aircraft carrier in the U.S. military uses nuclear power to desalinate 400,000 US gallons (1,500,000 lt; 330,000 imp gal) of water per day"

Between this water capability, and built in delivery systems, this alone is reason enough to ask for assistance. We will becoming hard pressed in coming days to find adequate adjectives to describe the incompetance on display.

It's starting to look that way...

It's the same old "loss of Face" stupidity. When was the last time a Thai Government

accepted the offer of help from foreign government? If they had called in people from

foreign countries with experience in water management in low lying areas (Netherlands

to name one) many, many years ago, then perhaps this flood may have been less of a

disaster than it is now. The least that could have been done was to make a study of

other countries defenses against flooding and adapted them to suit Thailand.

I believe that Thaksin had called in Israeli water management experts. One of the few positive things he did. Of course the later governments dismissed their suggestions.

It would seem that Thailand takes the same stand towards helping their citizens that Burma took when they had their flooding problems two years ago.

Wonder how they will spin this to the public as a positive thing.

Then again the public is not exactly what you would call quick on the uptake. They will look back on this as another disaster that Mr T got them through.