FROC Warns People In Nine Bangkok Districts To Prepare For Evacuation

webfact

FROC warns people in nine districts of Bangkok to prepare for evacuation

BANGKOK, 25 October 2011 (NNT)-The Flood Relief Operations Center (FROC) released its 9th statement last night alerting residents in nine districts of Bangkok to evacuation preparedness as the remaining large amount of flood water around the capital still poses a threat to their communities.

FROC Director Police General Pracha Promnog, also Justice Minister, said the latest announcement was made following the FROC’s continuous monitoring of the flood situation, which was seen to possibly inflict damage on lives and property. The nine districts mentioned in the statement include Lak Si, Don Muang, Sai Mai, Nong Chok, Minburi, Khan Na Yao, Lat Krabang, Bang Phlat and Thawee Wattana.

The statement advised residents in the communities to constantly monitor the water levels and prepare to evacuate whenever necessary. They are encouraged to contact the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) for more information on the prepared sites of evacuation centers.

Also, people living in Lak Hok sub district of Pathum Thani province and its surrounding areas should frequently monitor the water level in Rangsit Canal. As for those who wish to move from the areas, the army has made ready vehicles to facilitate their journey.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-10-25 footer_n.gif

Does anyone think the river will swell and hit sukhumvit?

YES because the Government says NO

Also all the businesses are putting a lot of barriers and sand back in place. They also have no confidence

in the government

Edited by givenall

While I think it very unlikely, I do have concerns about the availability of electricity and tap water, not to mention food.

Most supermarkets are very low on canned and dried goods.  The government made noises about setting up a distribution center for getting food to the supermarkets, but so far nothing seems to be happening.

Most probably not, however some buildings have sand bags and walls up over 8ft.

7/11 stores have been bare for days, Big C and Tesco @ soi 26 is a joke and do not even have toilet paper for sale.

Have not seen any of the government assistance to these stores as heard.

On soi 4 while walking home from work a lady was selling 12packs of 600ml water for 250 baht and said "If you don't want, you go away"

While I think it very unlikely, I do have concerns about the availability of electricity and tap water, not to mention food.

Most supermarkets are very low on canned and dried goods. The government made noises about setting up a distribution center for getting food to the supermarkets, but so far nothing seems to be happening.

I bought tons of food and stuff 2 weeks ago. I will sell it shortly at hugely inflated prices.

Most supermarkets are very low on canned and dried goods. The government made noises about setting up a distribution center for getting food to the supermarkets, but so far nothing seems to be happening.

I bought tons of food and stuff 2 weeks ago. I will sell it shortly at hugely inflated prices.

Hoarding and profitering. Be careful, if the SoE is declared we can have you shot on the spot :rolleyes:

So you can buy some new friends with your new money to replace all the old friends you lost, I suppose?

I'm really hoping your post is a big wind-up, otherwise...post-133770-0-54154200-1319523836_thumb.

as you all know - or not; the issue isn't only with your area being flooded or not. you have to prepare yourself in the event you are stranded at home and cant get out of your apartment to get supplies - if supplies are even available. all the shops around asoke and sukhumvit have been out of water and basic supplies for nearly 2 weeks. no signs of it getting better.

i should note however, i dont practice what i preach. if i get stranded in my apartment i'll be drinking toilet water and eating raw spaghetti ;)

So you can buy some new friends with your new money to replace all the old friends you lost, I suppose?

I'm really hoping your post is a big wind-up, otherwise...post-133770-0-54154200-1319523836_thumb.

Brother gotta make a dollar

Will Silom, Siam be affected? :(

Sukhumvit and Silom were both flooded in the 1995 floods (I don't know about Siam Sq), although the water was pumped out to manageable levels within a day or two and you cold get around by car after that. This situation is different because those floods were caused largely by relentless heavy rains in Bangkok, whereas we are now facing a wall of water coming from the North and being forced through low capacity klongs, combined with high tides. Thus we have to look at the klongs and I would think that Sukhumvit has a high risk of being flooded by water coming from the North into Klong Saen Saeb which runs just below Petchburi Road and turns right at Klong Tan to run along Soi 71. Another major canal, Klong Prakanong, runs along Soi 77 to meet Klong Saen Saep before running into the Chaopraya. As well as coming from klong overflows water can be forced up the drains and sewers by the pressure from the klongs. BMA's largest pumping station is on Klong Prakanong near the river. I hope that will stop water backing up into Klongs Prakanong and Saen Saep at high tide.

Brother gotta make a dollar

Mutha - you ain't no REAL post-133770-0-55761700-1319552592_thumb.brother.

Will Silom, Siam be affected? :(

Sukhumvit and Silom were both flooded in the 1995 floods (I don't know about Siam Sq), although the water was pumped out to manageable levels within a day or two and you cold get around by car after that. This situation is different because those floods were caused largely by relentless heavy rains in Bangkok, whereas we are now facing a wall of water coming from the North and being forced through low capacity klongs, combined with high tides. Thus we have to look at the klongs and I would think that Sukhumvit has a high risk of being flooded by water coming from the North into Klong Saen Saeb which runs just below Petchburi Road and turns right at Klong Tan to run along Soi 71. Another major canal, Klong Prakanong, runs along Soi 77 to meet Klong Saen Saep before running into the Chaopraya. As well as coming from klong overflows water can be forced up the drains and sewers by the pressure from the klongs. BMA's largest pumping station is on Klong Prakanong near the river. I hope that will stop water backing up into Klongs Prakanong and Saen Saep at high tide.

I think you're right. I predict Sukhumvit, Silom and Siam Square areas will all be flooded along with Phetburi Road and a lot of others. In my mind the question is how deep.

The PM referred to 50cm - 1.5 meters, for Bangkok but she didn't say where. She said the 1.5 meter level would be if the walls didn't hold. But really this info is almost meaningless information.

If there is a sustained few cm overflow of the flood walls (along a significant length of floodwalls, even if they don't break) for two days this weekend I think parts of Bangkok will be as much as two meters (or more) deep while other areas will be a few cm or maybe even dry. This is because Bangkok isn't nice and flat and there are areas as much as a meter or two lower than other areas. Several localized areas below sea level. The water will flow to the lowest elevations and will stay there until it's pumped out. And it's not going to be possible to pump much out this coming weekend with the high tides.

Also it won't matter much if the walls hold or not because the water will come in thru the drains and culverts that haven't been blocked and will even simply seep up thru the ground in areas near the river ... and then flow on to the low spots from there.

Thonburi will be worse than Bangkok. But I think even the PM and FROC have said that.

Well watching the water rising here in Bangkrauy Nonthaburi, not far from Pinkloa, I feel that a lot of water is destined to seep through. Its rising here by about 5 inches a day and is up to 30 inches out side my house, although it has not come in yet.

When the high tides hit at the end of the week, water is just going to flow all over Bangkok and make a hell of a mess.

Get out while you can. My neighbours have all left, but I am staying as I have belongings to safeguard.

I have a large stock of water and some food to last. A good woman to keep me company and as long as the electricity lasts my computer to see me through these dark days.

Funny how most of my neighbours have moved to Sukhumvit to escape the water. Could come back to bite them too.