Why Do Foreigners Criticize Thailand?

Felix Lynn

I guess I'm one of the odd ones, I don't hate my country, I don't live there because my husband lives here, not because I was fleeing something I disliked.

Certainly I criticise Thailand, it has problems that need to be addressed, just as I criticise the problems in my own country.

If I didn't care then it wouldn't matter to me if it all went to he!! in a handbasket.

Are u living a happy life now, sbk? :o

I'm curious?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever notice that most folks the really "hate" the country they are born in and grew up in hate thailand too.

When I hear somesone talking down LOS I politely ask, where are you from? They say, USA, Europe, oh, how was that, "oh I hated it" I just smile knowen that they hate life itself, so it comes down to "you take you with you"

Ain't that the truth. The unhappiest people I've met (whether in LOS or elsewhere) were unhappy in their native land, jobs, relationships or whatever. The happiest ones can move around and still be happy.

(Says he, called sadman).

On the next Thailand Today,

The question: Why are foreigners so negative about Thailand?

I know the pair of them and dismiss every word they say.

Neither has a pot to piss in and talk crap to art form level. :o

They are both on a visa run today to get their thirty day stamps, so you will have to wait until later for their comments... :D

Well, well, well!

Another controversial topic. As an earlier post said, constructive criticism, open government, and a degree of responsibility for the views you express might have a much greater benefit than any emotional outburst.

As usual, take a lesson from local Thais, unconnected to powerful leaders; actions of kindness (including a smile) speak louder than words for most Thais, especially if expressed in a language other than Thai or the Issan dialect!

Laulen

:o

FACT:

People slag off Thailand because it is making more and more of the same mistakes that the countries where we came from have made.

Since the Thai's have been aware of the powerful and rich west they have tried to imitate us (understandably) but have adopted many of our social ills, bad habits and ludicrous laws in the process.

We flee the cancer only for it to catch up with us, yet we moan about it and get accused of wanting to deprive Thailand of it's right to be wealthy, which is missing the point.

Almost all the negative things about Thailand STEM FROM THE WEST- ESPECIALLY GREED.

Mine is a generaldislike of humanity and the realizeation that there's absolutely no escape from how <deleted>*ked up we are and we will always be outnumbered by the ignorant, blinkered and stupid.

Edited by The Gentleman Scamp

I guess I'm one of the odd ones, I don't hate my country, I don't live there because my husband lives here, not because I was fleeing something I disliked.

Certainly I criticise Thailand, it has problems that need to be addressed, just as I criticise the problems in my own country.

If I didn't care then it wouldn't matter to me if it all went to he!! in a handbasket.

Why would not hating one’s own country be considered odd? Your self-opinion seems odd. I think the majority of the people love their country, and have chosen not to flee it. I think this commonly referred to as Nationalistic Pride?

I try to limit my critical thoughts, and certainly try to avoid expressing critical opinions with regards to Thailand. I am guest here, subject to the terms of my visa. Thailand’s problems are not mine to address or remedy. That is the responsibility of the Monarch, Government and people of Thailand. For me to presume that I can address local problems seems to show a total lack of respect for my hosts? If I am a guest in someone’s house I do not feel obliged to criticize anything that I might find objectionable, or that they could possibly do better.

There is a huge difference between caring and criticizing, of course. Caring seems to be a bit more of a positive emotional response and is always welcome, while criticizing tends to be the result of a negative response or feeling.

Criticizing problems in one’s native country seems perfectly acceptable to me.

Ever notice that most folks the really "hate" the country they are born in and grew up in hate thailand too.

When I hear somesone talking down LOS I politely ask, where are you from? They say, USA, Europe, oh, how was that, "oh I hated it" I just smile knowen that they hate life itself, so it comes down to "you take you with you"

I think you may be reading too much into the real meaning of the words used, especially when it comes to the hate expression. :o

On the next Thailand Today,

An answer to a question that bedevils Thais when they hear foreigners criticize Thailand: The question: Why are foreigners so negative about Thailand? The answer: On the next Thailand Today…

Actually, it's just the soap dodgers who I think you'll find criticising the place. Its in their nature. The whining noise eminating from the latest BA flight to touch down at Don Muang continues long after the engines have been turned off.

Boom Boom. :o

Why would not hating one’s own country be considered odd? Your self-opinion seems odd. I think the majority of the people love their country, and have chosen not to flee it. I think this commonly referred to as Nationalistic Pride?

I try to limit my critical thoughts, and certainly try to avoid expressing critical opinions with regards to Thailand. I am guest here, subject to the terms of my visa. Thailand’s problems are not mine to address or remedy. That is the responsibility of the Monarch, Government and people of Thailand. For me to presume that I can address local problems seems to show a total lack of respect for my hosts? If I am a guest in someone’s house I do not feel obliged to criticize anything that I might find objectionable, or that they could possibly do better.

There is a huge difference between caring and criticizing, of course. Caring seems to be a bit more of a positive emotional response and is always welcome, while criticizing tends to be the result of a negative response or feeling.

Criticizing problems in one’s native country seems perfectly acceptable to me.

Funny, I don't really consider myself a "guest" and I don't think my husband does either, especially not after living here 16 years.

And no, I don't think my opinion is odd, I was just responding to the idea that most farang live here because they "hate" their own countries.

The thread lives beyond the show!

What I tried to get at on Thailand Today, was that the way the western mind works, criticism is inevitable. The western mind works in a analytical, critical way. We look at things, find fault and offer suggestions on how to improve them. Sometimes our offers sound negative. Sometimes they are! But it's how we think. We are taught critical thinking.

I'll give an example from my Thailand teaching days. The Thais mark students "present" with a circle. They mark absent with a check. In the states, we mark only a check for absent and leave the space blank for present, SAVING US TONS OF LABOR TIME! I offered the change to my then boss but was rebuffed. He said: "It's the Thai way. We've always done it that way." He seemed genuinely insulted when I persisted, another trait alien to Thais when dealing with a superior.

So, I came, I saw fault and I made the attempt at improvement, but alas, I failed at changing the way things are done here. Now if I tell that story, it could come across as negative to some.

Brits are critical because its been built into their DNA over centuries of religious strife and turmoil .

thats why all the major inventions have come from the uk ,neversatisfied with the status quo, always searching for improvements . whereas an aussie will just crack open another beer and get pissed, and emit a loud fart.

Thais are taught to be subserviant and comotose . you could get shot for rocking the boat not so many years ago.

No room for Martin Luthers in LOS i am afraid.

Everyone is sensitive about outside criticism of their country, but because Thai nationalism is so strong, I think Thais may be a bit more sensitive than most (plus internal criticism is not something they hear too often since Thai media is tightly regulated).

When I was living in the US, I had a Thai friend stay with me for a few months and she was amazed at the popularity of Thai food and culture. Over that time, she only encouted two incidents of criticism of Thailand - a news story about child labor (which was actually condemning the Western countries that profit from it) and the sex trade (hey, it exists). After those two bits of criticism, she became convinced that Americans always criticize Thailand. I thought it was an odd reaction since you cannot go a day in Thailand without Thais slagging the US.

I get to know a lot of Thai graduate students who come to study in the UK. After seeing a front page in the "News of the World " (National Enquirer equivalent) about the Thai sex/child labour/whatever trade they always complain about farang criticising Thailand. It's only after they've been here for a couple of years and see that we criticise many things that they realise that the criticisms aren't aimed at Thailand itself but at the particular behaviour. It's quite gratifying to see how they open up and rid themselves of one of the most pernicious attributes that Thailand has to offer - that of kreng jai :o

That people criticize should not be seen as a necessarily bad thing.

I'm critical of the things I care about. Road Safety, Corruption, Educational Standards, Standards of Service..........

Constructive criticism can be a good thing if it is conveyed properly, has the potential to result in improvement and the party on the recieving end of the criticism is receptive to it.

However sometimes people will criticize things and people just to feel they or their ideas are superior.

I agree with your observation. Seems many farang have an inbuilt genetic defect called Arrogance. Not surprising since the last two centuries have seen them slaughtering each other in the millions and this predisposition has mutated to this form of critical behaviour. Surprising still those who criticize are still in LOS, better for them to do real things to improve their immediate environment. Better to watch and criticize oneself than to do to others.

It's only after they've been here for a couple of years and see that we criticise many things that they realise that the criticisms aren't aimed at Thailand itself but at the particular behaviour. It's quite gratifying to see how they open up and rid themselves of one of the most pernicious attributes that Thailand has to offer - that of kreng jai  :D

Very good observation endure.

It can be one of the most frustrating traits for us farangs to deal with in Thailand, and hence criticise. :o

since you cannot go a day in Thailand without Thais slagging the US.

Don't know what Thais you frequent but that's the opposite of what I experience.

Either you are joking, have become too accustomed to it, or accept negative American stereotypes as fact. Mind you, it is no where near what I see in the UK. It has become an unnatural obssesion to slag Americans.

since you cannot go a day in Thailand without Thais slagging the US.

Don't know what Thais you frequent but that's the opposite of what I experience.

Either you are joking, have become too accustomed to it, or accept negative American stereotypes as fact. Mind you, it is no where near what I see in the UK. It has become an unnatural obssesion to slag Americans.

While many of America's recent decisions have sparked criticism worldwide, I rarely hear Thais "slag off" the US or anybody. About the strongest thing they'll say is something like: "So, how about Bush?" or something like that.

Nary a bitter word, unlike our European bretheren. :o

I'm curious?

Yes, I am. But then, I think I would be happy if I were living in the US as well, as long as I had my husband with me. I don't think places make you happy, the ability to be happy resides inside yourself.

I'm curious?

Yes, I am. But then, I think I would be happy if I were living in the US as well, as long as I had my husband with me. I don't think places make you happy, the ability to be happy resides inside yourself.

Well said - but the climate is better in Thailand! :D

Change comes from within.

Instead of becoming bitter and whiny, take a good look at yourself, try to do your best to be a good person, live as you learn, and when criticizing, be constructive. Especially important if you want to get your criticism across the cultural barrier.

My latest favorite:

The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.