Minimum Salaries For Foreigners

I am employed in a Thai company and trying to organise to hire a Japanese staff member but I understand there are minimum salaries payable to different nationalities. Can somebody please tell me what is the minimum salary payable to a Japanese employee. (Also if you know it, please tell me same for a Russian).

Hoping somebody can help.

Tom Yum.

Minimum salary is pretty much irrelevant for Japanese hires. Unlike Westerners who fall in love with Thailand, most of whom would work for free if it got them a visa, the Japanese really do look at a Thailand as a hardship post and so you'll have to compensate them accordlingly.

Minimum salary is pretty much irrelevant for Japanese hires. Unlike Westerners who fall in love with Thailand, most of whom would work for free if it got them a visa, the Japanese really do look at a Thailand as a hardship post and so you'll have to compensate them accordlingly.

That sounds a bit contradictary. How can salary be irrelevant for Japanese if it is a hardship for them unlike others?

Changing gears, I was under the impression the reason foreigner minimum wage is set higher than Thai miminum wage is not that foreigners are somehow superior or get paid more, but rather to insure foreigners don't take away unskilled jobs that Thai's are able to do. But it is kind of curious different countries are set with different min wages.

Thanks for the info. people. I was just after the legal figure which seems is THB60,000 thank you. Actually this Japanese lady is coming to work under an "internship" to work on a resort. Just wants to experience life on a smallish Island (Koh Samui). Salary not an issue for them, we just needed to know what the legal salary is.

Thanks for the help.

That sounds a bit contradictary. How can salary be irrelevant for Japanese if it is a hardship for them unlike others?
It simply means the legally mandated minimum is well below the rate for which Japanese people are willing to work in the Kingdom. It would be comparable to a Westerner going to work in Afghanistan for US$ 5.15 / hour.

For Japanese in Japanese companies, Hardship postings in Asia are Indonesia, Philippines. Both are considered as a punishment. Not so for Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore.

Singapore is actually considered as good springboard to good positions in Japan.

Thailand is considered as a pre-retirement posting, life is easy, cost of living low, good golf courses and acceptable food for delicate stomachs, good health care services. Most are mid to end career people + a few young ones to keep things going.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the minimum monthly wage rates, which vary according to nationality, FOR THE EXTENSION OF STAY BASED ON BUSINESS

• Japanese, Americans and Canadians: 60,000 baht

• Europeans and Australians: 50,000 baht

• South Koreans, Taiwanese, Singaporean and Hongkongers: 45,000 baht

• Malaysians: 45,000 baht

• Indians and people from the Middle East: 35,000 baht

• Mainland Chinese, Indonesians and Filipinos: 35,000 baht

• Burmese, Laotians, Vietnamese, Cambodians and Africans: 25,000 baht

• Journalists working for newspapers: 20,000 baht Wages of journalists working for magazines and other media are categorized by nationalities.

Does it mean that ANY japanese working here with a work permit has 60000 thb salary at least?
No. Because on the work permit their is no official minimum. However they would like to see you pay a minimum tax of 18,000 baht. It is only Immigration that requires the minimum of 60K and ONLY in the case of the extension of stay based on business.
But I heard about full-time farang teachers (woth work permit) having less than 50000 ? How is this possible ?

Many ways...

1. Could be they are a teacher for a public or government school. Then the minimums don't apply for an extension of stay based on business.

2. Could be they do a visa run every 90 days on a multi entry visa and extend their work permit. This way they never have to file under Immigration for an extension.

3. Could be they are African and only need a salary of 25,000 Baht to apply for the extension of stay based on business.

4. Could be they are here on a investment visa and don't need to worry about the extension of stay based on business. Immigration does not require a minimum salary for a long term visa based on investment.

5. Could be they are on a support of a Thai wife and don't need to worry about the extension of stay based on business.

www.lawyer.th.com

5. Could be they are on a support of a Thai wife and don't need to worry about the extension of stay based on business.

www.lawyer.th.com

Feels like I missed something again.

So, since I'm here on O-visa (married)...I can ignore the salary-req. (50K, European) since my extension isn't based on my worksalary and getting a WP isn't much hassle even though the job might only pay 30K?

www.lawyer.th.com

Feels like I missed something again.

So, since I'm here on O-visa (married)...I can ignore the salary-req. (50K, European) since my extension isn't based on my worksalary and getting a WP isn't much hassle even though the job might only pay 30K?

Yes except your extension for support is going to require 40k. If you have the money (outside income) to meet the 400k the lower work wage should be ok.

What seems not to be clear here is, as Sunbelt pointed out above (for the extension of stay based on business), is that you can work at any wage - it is just that immigration will require these nationality rates to grant an extension of stay. It is not a "minimum wage law" as we may think of it and the employer is not going to jail because he only pays you 30k but you need 60k to extend.

Everybody listen to me !!!!

Do you seriusly about THE EXTENSION OF STAY BASED ON BUSINESS for the japanese ????? ,

If not.

"NO NEED !!! for the minimum monthly wage rates" because Thai government interested only TAX that you pay for the government of 18,000 baht [You should know thai government purpose].

If you have any problem, visit www.lawyer.th.com .

Don't say ''Thank You" with me , My life is service

WE_ZAA

As lopburi3 pointed out, the minimum salary of 50K is not a requirement for you.

Why?

Because you are on an extension of stay based support of a Thai wife.

This criteria is

40,000 Baht Salary per month

OR

400,000 Baht in a bank account.

Can't meet this criteria? Obtain a one year multi entry "O" visa. Then your minimum salary is just paying 18,000 Baht per year in tax.

www.lawyer.th.com

• 2 weeks later...
Tom Yam,

60,000B/month. for the Jap.

50,000B/month for Europeans

That amount of salaries does are the net of the taxes ? Or do you must deal yourself to pay for it?

Thanks

P.s. I'm not a native english, so I hope you excuse me if my english writing is not correct.

The tax is taken out of the salary.

www.lawyer.th.com

• 3 weeks later...
Minimum salary is pretty much irrelevant for Japanese hires. Unlike Westerners who fall in love with Thailand, most of whom would work for free if it got them a visa,

Well; not go too far. I may understand that some  aliens love Thailand and I still  understand that they could work for a few money. But not for free,because even Thailand have his costs of living,  not only  for thai people ,but for foreign too.

the Japanese really do look at a Thailand as a hardship post and so you'll have to compensate them accordlingly.