Marriage

Invasian

Hello,

I am a Newbie here and thanks for having me.

I was reading through all the forums on here about marriage and so forth.

I wanted to ask, as my heart has skipped a beat.

I did not do complete a pro-forma Statutory Declaration and got married at an Amphur. I have the certificate and only needed to show my passport. Is it still legit?

Thanks

Edited by thaiphoon
Line spacing adjusted for better reading

I would think not, but best you wait for one of the mods who might know comes on and gives you a more specific answer.

As far as I am aware you cannot get married in Thailand without the MFA certified letter, if someone has married you without it then you and that person would "probably" be in trouble. However, saying that when you apply for an extension, you need the certificate and the registration in the Amphur records, nothing else, and maybe MFA and Immigration computers are not linked so they would never know.

If you were at the amphur, signed the wedding register and got a marriage certificate you are married. You can further check it by requiesting a khor rhor 2 form from any amphur. That is the form that gives the entry details in the wedding register and is used to show one is still married. Immigration for example want's that form.The problem with your marriage is however that is was not according to regulations. That might make it void or gives one the opportunity to go to court and claim there is no marriage. You will probably not be able to say that the marriage is void to other persons than your wife, as others must be able to rely on the information entered at the amphur that you are indeed married.I would advise contacting a lawyer to get more information about your legal position.

Edit:

Some immigration offices are known to also ask for a copy of the Embassy letter confirming you are allowed to marry/MFA certification.

Mario hit the nail on the head, I remember at my local office having to supply the Affirmation to Marry and the Certification from the MFA, but this was only the first time if my memory serves me right, but I take a copy everytime.

Mario hit the nail on the head, I remember at my local office having to supply the Affirmation to Marry and the Certification from the MFA, but this was only the first time if my memory serves me right, but I take a copy everytime.

But if you loose the Affirmation to Marry you would not be able to get a new one because you are now married. :ermm:

But if you loose the Affirmation to Marry you would not be able to get a new one because you are now married. :ermm:

When you get married at the Amphur office, they keep the original Affirmation of freedom to marry and the translation.

How can you take it anywhere a second time, if the Amphur office kept it?

PS LOSE not LOOSE

While forum rules insist I do not alter quoted posts, I hesitate to perpetuate language errors in my own.

Edited by ludditeman

The affirmation to get married is indeed kept by the amphur. One needs to make a copy of the certified docuemtn for immigration, as said they can ask for it. A new marriage would of course require a new affirmation letter, the letter has a limited validity of 2 or 3 months anyway.

The affirmation to get married is indeed kept by the amphur. One needs to make a copy of the certified docuemtn for immigration, as said they can ask for it. A new marriage would of course require a new affirmation letter, the letter has a limited validity of 2 or 3 months anyway.

Well if a copy will do, you can copy anyone's and just photoshop the name to yours.

Sounds a silly requirement when so easily manufactured.

Well if a copy will do, you can copy anyone's and just photoshop the name to yours.

Sounds a silly requirement when so easily manufactured.

As long as you translate all the names into Thai as well as in English, then should be no problem!!

Yes I have photocopies of my Affirmation to Marry and the docs from the MFA.

When you get married at the Amphur office, they keep the original Affirmation of freedom to marry and the translation.

How can you take it anywhere a second time, if the Amphur office kept it?

They didn't keep mine.

Have it in my safe.

• 3 months later...

UPDATE........

Hello,

I have just gone through the exhausting process of Divorce. I had tried in vain to find a lawyer for years. I am an Aussie so any international advice in the end is a waste. They really can't do shit and you'll have to go through the Thai system. I know as I researched this for many years.

Finally after biting the bullet and valuable intel from this site I contacted Nida Rayburn.

To cut a long story short, which included various processes; like out of court settlement agreement, locating her and finally a court order summons sent to my Thai wife. We did it. I am now a free man. The process with Nida took 6 months, from the initial contact.

Here is a brief account…………

My wife fist said 1.2 Million Baht out of Court; mind you she deserted and ripped me off. I had not heard from her in 7 years. Then she agreed to meet us and settle for a fee. She reneged. Then we decided to pull her into court, via a summons. She really shit herself and decided she wanted to settle, but I said not. On advice from Nida we decided to pay some money as she and her lawyer have the right to adjourn the case up to three times, meaning that all parties would have to go again and again.

I met her in Bangkok and she looked after me very well. My marriage was in the north which complicated things but she sent her loyal staff and they took care of the matter.

The best thing to do is take a deep breath and remain patient. The bill was 250,000THB all up.

So just do it. It is really worth it. We have all been burnt but you have to get over the fact and move on. Life is good!

Oh, if you need any help or advice, please feel free