Floods And Livestock

IsaanAussie

I sat in with a new litter of piglets today and suddenly thought about the pigs in Lop Buri and Nakorn Pathom. How the hell do you relocate those populations of pigs. This evening the industry newsfeed offered this.... 10 million animals, my God... The United Nations’s Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) says significant flooding and devastation across Southeast Asia – including Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, the Philippines and Thailand – has caused severe damage to housing, infrastructure and agriculture.

Official estimates indicate that 1.6 million hectares, or 12.5% of the total rice farmland has been damaged in Thailand alone. The region has also seen scores of livestock killed or displaced, with significant numbers considered to still be at risk. In Thailand alone, 9.9 million head of livestock are at risk according to the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives, though this number is set to rise as the flood situation worsens.

We had a report that just one farm lost 1 million chickens over night, that was two days ago. Prices in food shops in BKK have gone up 100%. As I drove 400 km today I saw some very badley hit rice. Its going up and everything will follow.

I think on a lighter note the flooding is getting better as Indian have sent an Expert to help Mustafia Dinghy said " Ill Do all I can"

The floods and pigs and chickens, whats the difference? Chickens cannot swim.

post-56811-0-37445900-1319788155_thumb.j

Stop kidding us --- thats you and the kids in the pond

OK you almost got it right. Thais will bet on anything, even flies crawling up a wall, so why not piglets in a pond? No actually the situation for livestock is pretty grim(ley). Perhaps this picture shows it better.

post-56811-0-11187000-1319845338_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

13.3 million livestock dead in Thai floods

[8 November 2011] Thailand's Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives has reported an estimated losses of 13.3 million of livestock in the ongoing floods that have swept through central Thailand. As of end October, a total of 162,180 livestock farmers were affected and 13.3 million livestock were damaged. Of the total, 12.82 million were poultry, 254,706 were cattle and cows, and 189,904 were pigs. Estimated 194,012 fish farms were affected and about 11 million rai of plantation area were damaged. The government has approved an initial budget of THB 3.645 billion (USD 119.27 million) to three key departments including the Department of Agricultural Extension, Livestock Department and Fisheries Department.