Moving To Bangkok Next Week...

phuturatica

I'm meant to be moving to BKK on November 2nd and I land at approximate 12:30pm however I am very worried about the current flooding situation. Several of my friends who are from BKK have told me to land there and evacuate from there ASAP and get somewhere safe. Is it really that bad? Is there no sign of it improving or is it only going to get worse?

I am supposed to be living in a house in Bang Yai in the Nonthaburi district which I have heard is inaccessible right and now and is submerged in over a metre of water. I have another option of staying in a guesthouse in the backpackers area until the situation gets sorted however I'm worried about food shortages and whatnot due to the whole crisis. Also my health is quite tempermental and I'm dreading to think what kind of diseases and illnesses are going to be lurking in the flood waters.

I don't really have the option of changing my flight so am I better off landing in BKK and waiting it out in the backpackers Khao San Road area or am I better off relocating somewhere like Chiang Mai where the floods have subsided?

What do you think I should do?

In my view you will have to NOT stay in Bangkok at all. If it were me I would imediately get transport from the airport to pattaya. Not the best place to stay for long in my opinion but it would allow you to get your bearings. ChiangMai and Chiangrai arre only affected by the increased demand on accomodation due to displaced people, both local and travellers and possible increased food prices as the flood bites more.

Hope things work out. ChiangMai has the medical treatment your previous posts indicated desirable.

Kao san will likely get flooded as its pretty close to the river.

We will know more about the actual flooding in inner-bangkok before you come.

Suffice to say the airport is in a prime position to get flooded although they are working hard to prevent it.

If it does become flooded, flights will be cancelled/diverted to chiang mai, phuket and u-tapao.

You have people you can contact or meet you when you arrive?

As you dont have the option of cancelling your flight, you will have to make inquiries as to where you can stay outside of Bangkok as you seem to be arriving when the flood will possibly be at it's worst.

I would suggest you look at staying at Pattaya if the roads are not cut by then, where there is plenty of places on the high and dry for rent until you can move. Check out Pattaya thread and make inquiries there.

I would not be overly sure about Pattaya

tulsathit

@tulsathit tulsathit

RT @veen_NT: A friend who's been in Pattaya since Sat says almost all rooms & apts have been booked. Find accommodation b4 leaving BKK.

Edited by Orac

Suffice to say the airport is in a prime position to get flooded although they are working hard to prevent it.

If it does become flooded, flights will be cancelled/diverted to chiang mai, phuket and u-tapao.

Well I am being picked up from airport by a friend and he doesn't seem to be too bothered. He just said "It's just water hun!" But I think he fails to realise the implications it could all have on my health!

This all sounds like a total nightmare! I take it the floods have worsened in BKK then? I have been trying my hardest to follow them from the UK but I'm not really getting the full story of how much is being affected. However after all these replies it seems quite clear that BKK is not the place to be right now. :(

If the tickets itself are a problem, contact the airline. Given the situation many now allow a change of flight date.

Right now Nonthaburi is not the place to be, but there are large parts of Thailand that are unaffected and Chiang Mai is indeed a nice place to stay for a few weeks and cheaper than Bangkok.

Well without getting into your health issues, I would suggest alternate plans. But your friend who said, it's just water seems none too bothered, is aware of your health issues I assume.

Why do you have to be here then? Work? If we are under water, there will be no working.

The thing nobody can make your decision. Right now its not flooding in inner bangkok but the warnings that this could change quickly are getting more frequent.

The latest from FROC

@TAN_Network TAN News Network

FROC asks BKK residents to move out to the provinces as evacuation centers have been set up due to possible flooding of capital tonight

I wouldn't go anywhere near Bangkok for the moment and, with potentially millions leaving there, it will be pretty chaotic everywhere else in Thailand as well in the coming days/weeks.

Call your airline and inquire about cancelations due to a crisis... which it truly is. You should be able to cancel. I would advise not to fly into Thailand right now. Many, many things have the potential of getting a lot worse here. Electricity, Telecommunications, internet, food and water supply chain. etc. etc. This crisis is not getting enough international attention. Stay tuned to Thai Visa www.bangkokpost.com, nationmulimedia.com We will all know a lot more in a few days. Right now we're just all braced and very nervous. It's not good for any of our health right now. Really tough times. Total flux!

Edited by jaiyen17

Hi:

I am arriving to Bkk next day 2, from Puket.

I think is not way to fly away when Bkk is under problem.

In my case, I will go with a 4*4 full of Watter and Food to give to the pleople who needs.

But travel to Thailand that time and no to be involved I think is unfair.

Sorry for my english, I am from Spain.

Sandra

Call your airline and inquire about cancelations due to a crisis... which it truly is. You should be able to cancel. I would advise not to fly into Thailand right now. Many, many things have the potential of getting a lot worse here. Electricity, Telecommunications, internet, food and water supply chain. etc. etc. This crisis is not getting enough international attention. Stay tuned to Thai Visa www.bangkokpost.com, nationmulimedia.com We will all know a lot more in a few days. Right now we're just all braced and very nervous. It's not good for any of our health right now. Really tough times. Total flux!

I've already spoken to my airline and right now there are no reported cancellations due to a crisis and no re-direction of flights to other airports within Thailand. They said everything seems to be running smoothly despite the floods and the airport is not flooded.

I think what I will do is land in BKK and weigh up the situation and if I feel the need to evacuate, I'll head north to Chiang Mai as they have good hospital links there if anything should happen regarding my health.

BKKJames - I am not going to be working until after the New Year so work doesn't concern me right now. If it gets worse in the next couple of days I will consider re-scheduling my flight for when it's safer but I guess only time will tell.

I'm aware that you can't all make the decision for me, however I was hoping someone would shed some light on what their opinion is on the crisis right now and you have all done so quite clearly. Thank you!

I guess I can only pray for those out there who bracing themselves and hoping the worse is over.

Thanks a lot for all your guidance guys! I hope you all stay safe and be careful during this difficult time!

Well I am being picked up from airport by a friend and he doesn't seem to be too bothered. He just said "It's just water hun!" But I think he fails to realise the implications it could all have on my health!

This all sounds like a total nightmare! I take it the floods have worsened in BKK then? I have been trying my hardest to follow them from the UK but I'm not really getting the full story of how much is being affected. However after all these replies it seems quite clear that BKK is not the place to be right now. :(

Your friend won't be coming to pick you up unless he has a speedboat if it's 2m> deep. I see no reason to be in Bangkok now unless you work here (we have clients for houses still strangely) and most have holidays or can work from home outside Bangkok.

All tourists should be offered a free transfer to Pattaya / CM / Phuket, the capital is in panic now and you will know in the next 24-48 hours. On the way home around 9pm I went to Tesco and Big C both were deserted and you could not even get toilet tissue, I have never seen it so quiet or low on stock.

My wife and I have (or had) a house in Bangbuathong, to the north of the district of Bang Yai. We are anticipating the flooded house sitting in water for at least a month. If you have health problems, I would avoid staying in any house that is subject to anything similar to our place, since there will be a greater chance of longer term health problems unless the walls are stripped down and redone.

If you don't need to be in Thailand now, I would advise you to delay your trip for 4-6 weeks.

As you dont have the option of cancelling your flight, you will have to make inquiries as to where you can stay outside of Bangkok as you seem to be arriving when the flood will possibly be at it's worst.

I would suggest you look at staying at Pattaya if the roads are not cut by then, where there is plenty of places on the high and dry for rent until you can move. Check out Pattaya thread and make inquiries there.

Jomtien is near Pattaya ( same thing). Nice place to be as well. I believe most of the highway to Pattaya /Jomtien is raised (starting around the airport).

Taxie from the airport to Jomtien is usually under 2,000 Baht. I would think that road would be open if the airport is open.

High tide is coming this weekend

By Monday you will have an idea what is the worst

case scenario for Bkk and surrounding areas

Certain areas of Bangkok are already under water

A lot could change in the next few days, if all bkk is

under water, try change the flight, even if you have to

pay a few, moving to a new city is stress and hassles

enough, moving here when it is under water is not a

wise move.

If Bangkok does flood, the chances of finding a vacant room anywhere in Thailand are pretty slim. If the area your home is in is flooded, the chances of picking up a respiratory infection are pretty high until they gut the place and replace the walls where it was flooded- (and they'll probably just slap a coat of paint on over the mold and mildew and call it good for a rental....)

Unless they're mailing your paycheck to Bangkok, I'd get another flight after the dust has settled. Pull up and download some old documentaries from the aftermath of Katrina if you want to know what happens when a major city floods. And New Orleans was around 1/2 million people- Bangkok has how many million?

Edited by impulse