Where To Buy A Sword, Spear Or Really Large Knife?

chanchao

Soi dogs are becoming a problem and I worry about my family.. Not looking to go hunt them down, merely something to bring along when walking around that would make a dog think twice about getting close.

Of course it would be better if it still looked respectable when walking around.

A baseball bat comes to mind. Pepper spray would be great but don't know if you can get it here. Perhaps a water pistol with concentrated red pepper juice in it. They won't do it again once sprayed in the face.

Our moo bahn guard rides his bicycle around carrying a long bamboo stick.

There are small electronic keychain size dog whistles available in pet stores that are very effective in chasing away unwanted dogs. I can't say I’ve seen them in Thailand. Not that I’ve been looking.

These whistles emit a high pitched sound only dogs can hear. The sound is annoying but not harmful to dogs and you won’t be in trouble with the MIB.

You may be lucky and find them where you are or in Bangkok.

if you carry around a stick, the dogs will be scared of you, but unfortunately they will still follow you around and bark at you---from a moderate distance.

i agree with the ronz28---a squirt gun filled with a solution of water and vinegar will make the dogs leave you alone without causing them to think you are a threat. i think you'll notice that they'll keep an eye on you, but not follow and bark.

good luck

White vinegar works well but it is very hard to find an accurate water pistol that does not also leak all over you.

Look in the kid's toy sections and you will eventually find little plastic 'cap' pistols (about 15-20 baht) that use the red rings of multiple caps. These things are VERY loud, can be dropped into even a smallish pocket, are totally legal, and will not injure the dog but will have even the largest and most determined dog fall all over himself trying to get away from you. In my experience, they will not approach you again either. If you think you are in serious danger of a bite, let the dog get close and go for an eye or an ear...

You have eight shots to get it right...

White vinegar works well but it is very hard to find an accurate water pistol that does not also leak all over you.

Look in the kid's toy sections and you will eventually find little plastic 'cap' pistols (about 15-20 baht) that use the red rings of multiple caps. These things are VERY loud, can be dropped into even a smallish pocket, are totally legal, and will not injure the dog but will have even the largest and most determined dog fall all over himself trying to get away from you.  In my experience, they will not approach you again either.  If you think you are in serious danger of a bite, let the dog get close and go for an eye or an ear...

You have eight shots to get it right...

:o 55555555555555

Yes that's the answer a cap gun! Then the dogs will run and you'll be in a <deleted> gun fight with the MIB or the local street mafia 5555555555555 to funny.

Go with the bamboo that's the correct choice for not paying bribes or getting dropped.

Soi dogs are becoming a problem and I worry about my family.. Not looking to go hunt them down, merely something  to bring along when walking  around  that would make a dog think twice about getting close.

Of course it would be better if it still looked respectable when walking around.

Don't know how respectable it looks, but a few rocks in your pocket goes a long way. Even pretending to throw a rock (or picking up a rock) will have most dogs running for cover.

If required, they are also silent, very effective and reasonably safe to carry around. No cost, no maintenance, no lincence required. Available in a range of sizes.

Thanks for the replies!!! So what I do is boil vinegar, add chee faa chillies and simmer. Then get the proper super soaker I have left over from Songkran, wait until the dog is close and let him have it full in teh face. Excellent. :o))

Was also considering a high powered cross-bow. Have seen them before but right now cant remember where.. FIshing shops I think. (Then again, those are too dangerous to keep around.)

Thanks for the replies!!!  So what I do is boil vinegar, add chee faa chillies and simmer. Then get the proper super soaker I have left over from Songkran, wait until the dog is close and let him have it full in teh face. Excellent. :o))

Was also considering a high powered cross-bow. Have seen them before but right now cant remember where.. FIshing shops I think. (Then again, those are too dangerous to keep around.)

If you are really set on something potentially lethal than a sling shot and some ball bearings would be more portable (slip in back pocket). However may still have issues with the MIB. :D

Ammonia solution in a spray bottle is the only thing I have found to get rid of unwanted dogs. Other methods sometimes work but fall down if the dog is determined, or rabid.

Ammonia is also the only sure-fire method to break up dog fights every time.

Soi dogs are becoming a problem and I worry about my family.. Not looking to go hunt them down, merely something  to bring along when walking  around  that would make a dog think twice about getting close.

I could rent you my ex wife for a while. My ex wife grew up in Arkansas where she was also a kick boxer. At the time our daughters were little 5 and 9 years old she was walking them down our farm road to see friends. A farmer had left his gate open and his two Dobermans set off on a flat run towards her and the kids. One of the dogs was faster and leaped at one of my girls. The wife kicked him in the head and knocked him out cold. The other dog looking at his mate laying on the ground took off running in the other direction.

It was funny to see the dogs run after that every time my wife walked down the road. And the country kids would point at her and say “There goes the dog kicker.”

My girls both grew up with three black belts each in various martial arts so as a family we never much worried about dogs. Of course I made sure I never went out by myself as long as one of the girls was with me I felt secure.

On arriving in Thailand it took me a while but I found a lady Muy Thai boxer that is also as the sweetest person in the world. But I do notice that dogs seem to run away when she walks by if they don’t she just growls a little and that seems to do the trick. Like my ex wife she is a country girl from Phichit and I guess Phichit is not really that much different from Arkansas.

• 2 years later...
Ammonia solution in a spray bottle is the only thing I have found to get rid of unwanted dogs. Other methods sometimes work but fall down if the dog is determined, or rabid.

Ammonia is excellent.

I'd problems with dogs pissing against the tyres for a while until a friend told me to put some ammonia on it.

My dogs hate it and haven't been pissing against the tyres since that.

In your case I would suggest just open up the ammonia bottle and splash it into the dogs direction or better onto its face.

I'm pretty sure that the dogs will remember that and wont bother you again.

Good luck with your soi dog battle ... :o

Something a good friend here in CM taught me...

bend down and pretend to pick up a rock, and pretend to throw it... Thais dogs seem to have a conditioned response to this..

or actually really pick up a rock...

anyway, may buy you a few seconds. Also fun to watch the yapping dogs 'lose face'

Edited by UKWEBPRO

He's absolutely correct; ammonia is the perfect solution. (No pun intended.)

But Dustoff is also correct in the fact that water pistols will leak like crazy and the last thing you want leaking in your pocket is ammonia. So don't use a water pistol. Get a small plastic pump spray bottle made for perfume and with a pin ream out the hole a bit so instead of spraying a mist it spays a stream. These things are made not to leak, are pocket sized (actually, in Warrarote Mkt you can find them finger sized...) and will shoot a stream out 6-8 feet. More than enough for beast or man... :D

However... it's a good idea to wrap some tape or rubber bands around the bottle for grip, and use a black marker to mark the direction of spray on the top of the pumper. :o

If you prefer to use pepper spray, it is sold by the military surplus shops on the north east corner of the moat as well as by the camping shop inside Airport Plaza. Just be sure to get the 'pepper spray' and NOT the tear gas spray. (The surplus stores sell both.) Tear gas has no effect on dogs.

But lastly, there is no need to use either. For a couple of hundred baht you can buy some dog biscuits and feed them for a few days. After they associate you with food, they will no longer lunge at you when you walk and will probably stop barking at you too. But bring the stick along for the first few days. As Al Capone said "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone." :D

Naw, it's officially High Season. A very sucky High Season, I hear tell.

We don't need to kill soi dogs with massive edged weapons....we just need to learn to avoid them and their turf/territory.

I was bit a couple of years ago....5 rabies shots @ 1200 B each. Not a pleasant experience.

But personally I wouldn't dream of suggesting that anyone kill a living creature, because of a perceived threat.

OK, if the dog (or snake or whatever) is beyond menacing, and is actually attacking....use your best judgment. Running fast works well! :o

Closed.