Thai Court Jails 13 'Red Shirts' For Arson

webfact

Well the anti red shirt expats will still be complaining and claiming thaksin interfered because they did not get the death sentence.

<snip>

There doesn't seem to be any "anti red shirt expats" around with that opinion.

well here is one the whole lot of these rabid animals should be put down and dont worry for your mates they will do no more than 1 month if that that I 100% guarantee All show while your master continues his plans for total 100% control

Calling for the extermination of the majority of thai people is a little over the top. I know many of these people and they are wonderful, would give you the shirt of thier back. If you don't like the majority of people in the country then don't come.

Well the anti red shirt expats will still be complaining and claiming thaksin interfered because they did not get the death sentence.

<snip>

There doesn't seem to be any "anti red shirt expats" around with that opinion.

well here is one the whole lot of these rabid animals should be put down and dont worry for your mates they will do no more than 1 month if that that I 100% guarantee All show while your master continues his plans for total 100% control

Calling for the extermination of the majority of thai people is a little over the top. I know many of these people and they are wonderful, would give you the shirt of thier back. If you don't like the majority of people in the country then don't come.

Did a "majority of the Thai people" burn down the provincial hall?

"Anon said he would appeal against the convictions and would ask for the 13 to be released in the meantime.

"We have applied for bail for all of them," he said, adding that a ruling on the request was expected on Friday."

Yep. They'll be there. Front row, centre!!

Will Red Shirt Leader who are also Pheu Thai Party MP's be offering their parliamentary status as guarantees for the bail as they have done in the past for other Red Shirt members up for bail?

20 years is a bit harsh.

Less harsh than the death penalty.

A Thai court on Thursday sentenced 13 "Red Shirt" supporters of fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra to 20 years each in prison

:thumbsup:

Hopefully now that will free up some space on the court's docket for the Red Shirt's 2007 riot

I really am at a loss here. Bail is considered for those who have been arrested on suspicision of having committed an offence and awaiting legal proceedings. How does one apply for bail for someone who has been convicted of the offence?

Sure, you can appeal, and if the case is won, what often happens (certainly in the UK) is that the sentence is commuted to the time already served (so as to avoid proceedings for wrongful imprisonment). Based upon my experience as a court reporter for a few years in the UK, I never ever heard of anyone being released on bail after being sentenced (perhaps someone will prove me wrong in the Thai case...!!).

20 years is a bit harsh.

And it would be interesting to see who can actually throw a burnig tyre at the building.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/treason

Death penalty seems harsh for arson (20 years seems right to me) however given the nature of this specific incident it would not and should not be considered simple arson. This is violence directed towards the government which has the elements of treason.

I really am at a loss here. Bail is considered for those who have been arrested on suspicision of having committed an offence and awaiting legal proceedings. How does one apply for bail for someone who has been convicted of the offence?

Sure, you can appeal, and if the case is won, what often happens (certainly in the UK) is that the sentence is commuted to the time already served (so as to avoid proceedings for wrongful imprisonment). Based upon my experience as a court reporter for a few years in the UK, I never ever heard of anyone being released on bail after being sentenced (perhaps someone will prove me wrong in the Thai case...!!).

One has to bear in mind that Thai laws are written by the people most likely to break them. With that in mind it is most certtainly a facet of Thai law that those found guilty can be placed on bail. Unless they are poor that is. While on bail thgey go shopping for the right judge or government that reverses the lower court ruling. Bear in mind too that an appeal is not just on the basis of irregulatities in the original court case, but in fact the whole case can be heard again. Oh and when you get found guilty upon appeal you can then get bail again as you proceed to the next higher court.

I asked a panel judges here on TV to explain this peculiarity of Thai law to me, but they have as yet to respond.

A defendant can remain on bail following conviction until an appeal to that conviction can be heard. Potjaman was out on bail for more than 3 years, after having been convicted and sentenced to 3 years in prison, before her case came up.

Even with very serious criminal convictions, one can still go free on bail until their appeal is heard. Kamnan Poh is a good example of that. He was found guilty of murder and was sentenced to 25 years in prison. He was released on bail to appeal that conviction and hasn't been heard from since (five years).

13 red shirts sentenced to 20 years in jail for arson

The Mukdahan Court has found 13 red shirts guilty of torching the provincial hall in connection with the 2010 political mayhem and sentenced each to 20-year imprisonment.

The provincial court invoked Article 90 of the Criminal Code for punishment on arson attack at a government installation.

Of the 29 defendants, 16 were acquitted due to lack of evidence.

Following the dispersal of Ratchaprasong rally on May 19, 2010 in Bangkok, red shirts in Mukdahan stormed and torched their provincial hall.

The defence is expected to appeal the decision in 30 days.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-28

9 reds sentenced for arson in Udon Thani

Nine red-shirt supporters in Udon Thani were sentenced yesterday for torching the provincial hall in the aftermath of the riots in Bangkok in May last year, while 13 others were acquitted because they had done their time for smaller crimes.

The Udon Thani court also ordered the nine, convicted of arson or damaging government property, to pay for the damages.

Three of the arsonists need to come up with 142 million baht, two have to pay 57.7 million baht, while four of the convicts need to pay Bt20,000 each. They will be charged 7.5 per cent annual interest until all the money is paid.

The longest jail terms for the five arsonists, including a man who was a minor at the time of the crime, range between 20-and-a-half and 22-and-a-half years.

One convict was sentenced to four-and-a-half years in jail, while three others got two-and-a-half years.

Defence lawyer Khanittha Ratthakarn said she would appeal the verdict.

The 13 convicted for lesser crimes were initially sentenced to six months, which was then halved because they confessed and later waived because the judges believed they had served enough for their crimes.

On Thursday, 13 red-shirt supporters in Mukdahan were each handed a 20-year term for torching the city hall, while 16 others were acquitted. Defence lawyer Anont Nampha said they would file an appeal against the verdict.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-29

Edited by Buchholz

• 7 months later...

A Thai court on Thursday sentenced 13 "Red Shirt" supporters of fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra to 20 years each in prison for setting fire to a provincial hall during political unrest last year.

Today, the 13 convicted Red Shirt Arsonists were released from prison on bail.

They are appealing their conviction and were set free on 2 million baht bail each.

The Justice Ministry's Department of Rights and Liberties Protection provided the total of 26 million baht for their release.

40 other convicted Red Shirts are having their bail requests considered in Ubon Ratchathani, Udon Thani, Maha Sarakham, and Bangkok.

Edited by Buchholz

A Thai court on Thursday sentenced 13 "Red Shirt" supporters of fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra to 20 years each in prison for setting fire to a provincial hall during political unrest last year.

They are appealing their conviction and were set free on 2 million baht bail each.

The Justice Ministry's Department of Rights and Liberties Protection provided the total of 26 million baht for their release.

40 other convicted Red Shirts are having their bail requests considered in Ubon Ratchathani, Udon Thani, Maha Sarakham, and Bangkok.

If ever there was a case of wanting people to spontaneously combust.

Edited by Moruya

If ever there was a case of wanting people to spontaneously combust.

It'll be an interesting time at the next Red Shirt Rally to have 53 convicted Red Shirt Arsonists on hand.

In light of the the Red Shirt threats on the Court judges, one might think that's a concern.

Edited by Buchholz