The Boss Says Evacuate, So You Stay

theblether

So word is out today that it's time to evacuate Bangkok, ( or at least parts of it ). There are plenty of people having a go at the government for their slow reaction to the flood crisis. If your still in Bangkok, are you not suffering from the same malaise? Most farang have the funds and ability to leave, so why are you staying? and in doing so, are you not being selfish by putting undue strain on the local authorities and possibly health services?

How do you think the Thai populace that can't flee will react when they see the inevitable queue of farangs turning up at the local hospital with injury, disease and infection? How clever will you feel when the dysentery and cholera hits? and how do you think the Thais will react when there really is a crisis of water supply and you've bought the last bottle off the shelf in front of them?

This is not a troll post but I have no doubt it will get quite lively. Why would anyone that could avoid it want to live in a soup of sewage for anywhere between two to six weeks?

Is this not one example where caution is the best part of valour?

It is kind of obvious but... some people have to work.

I understand that, however the Human Resources departments of many overseas companies would have a fit at the implications of forcing their employees to work in these conditions.

When I lived in Africa, the short bursts of monsoons brought out a serious soup of sewage and disease, and that was in smallish towns and villages, I can't imagine what it is going to be like in a city of 9 million at the bottom of a gully where the effluence of 20 million is heading your way. Serious stuff.

I am sure you are correct about the sewage after the floods but I am wondering why when I spent a week in waist deep flood waters in both Chiang Mai and Pattaya in previous years why no such disease epidemics occurred.

I understand that, however the Human Resources departments of many overseas companies would have a fit at the implications of forcing their employees to work in these conditions.

When I lived in Africa, the short bursts of monsoons brought out a serious soup of sewage and disease, and that was in smallish towns and villages, I can't imagine what it is going to be like in a city of 9 million at the bottom of a gully where the effluence of 20 million is heading your way. Serious stuff.

Quite the opposite. International companies are terrified of closing down as that will leave a black mark on Bangkok's ability to be a productive place for business; even though the local branches are aware the disruption to their staff. Though I don't work for an International Company, I have to stay and work as 1, I need the money and 2 the company I work for can't afford to close down.

Also, your first point, is basically saying 'bad bad farangs, local needs come first'. If there was a disaster in the UK, do we put Brits first? Ignore the holiday makers who are hurt or foreign investers? No. We work to get through this together. It's not a Thai vs Farang thing which you're trying to create.

Humans are humans, never mind where we come from; we all have to survive. If a Thai gets upset that the last bottle of water was bought by a farang and not a Thai, then that Thai is just being racist, pure and simple.

Can't understand this view at all. If we have the funds to leave surely that also implies we have the funds to stay and prepare for the worst. I do work for an International company though not many foreigners here, but what sort of message would it send to my Thai colleagues if I jumped ship at the first sign of trouble ? most have stayed and carried on working

why should we be different ?

Besides it's not as bad as some make out and its pretty much business as usual at the minute, though I have run out of baked beans :)

Why would anyone that could avoid it want to live in a soup of sewage for anywhere between two to six weeks?

why would that decision be anyone's business to question? :huh:

I wouldn't mind if they did. A few questions aren't bad. My kids don't ask me anything anymore.

I've been in SEA through coups, floods, tsunamis, and wars.

I have been in the hospital for life threatening operations where no one spoke English and been chased by murdering masses from almost every country in SEA.

They don't call. They don't write. And when they do it is to ask me trite questions.

Of course I am fine as I live at a 100 foot elevation with no rivers near and always have at least a month of food in the cupboard. I always keep a case of antibiotics on hand for local pandemics.

A part of the allure of living in exotic locals is having friends and family in the West worry about you. But no one worries about me anymore. :(

Quite the opposite. International companies are terrified of closing down as that will leave a black mark on Bangkok's ability to be a productive place for business; even though the local branches are aware the disruption to their staff. Though I don't work for an International Company, I have to stay and work as 1, I need the money and 2 the company I work for can't afford to close down.

Also, your first point, is basically saying 'bad bad farangs, local needs come first'. If there was a disaster in the UK, do we put Brits first? Ignore the holiday makers who are hurt or foreign investers? No. We work to get through this together. It's not a Thai vs Farang thing which you're trying to create.

Humans are humans, never mind where we come from; we all have to survive. If a Thai gets upset that the last bottle of water was bought by a farang and not a Thai, then that Thai is just being racist, pure and simple.

Not sure I follow your logic, as you are implying that companies need to justify their presence in Thailand and are terrified to shut operations temporarily. Why would a company need to justify their presence and be terrified that the country was struck by a natural (and man made) disaster? Any division of any company only comes under scrutiny if they are non-productive and losing money. The multinational company I work for has regional offices in Bangkok. They shuddered the offices a week ago in BKK and moved to Pattaya temporarily. No harm, no foul, just carrying on business as usual.

As for the OP, your argument is flawed in that you make the assumption that "most" farang have the capital to evacuate. Why would you make that assumption? I know many farang in Thailand who are just regular working stiffs and not on a corporate package or pension.

Can't understand this view at all. If we have the funds to leave surely that also implies we have the funds to stay and prepare for the worst. I do work for an International company though not many foreigners here, but what sort of message would it send to my Thai colleagues if I jumped ship at the first sign of trouble ? most have stayed and carried on working

why should we be different ?

Besides it's not as bad as some make out and its pretty much business as usual at the minute, though I have run out of baked beans :)

I agree with this post above.

If i was a regular turist i would get out of here asap, since i have an apartment that is 6 meters up from ground level im better off stocking up on food and water at home, and wait to see how my area gets affected. If my area indeed floods (Ratchada, Hua Kwang) then i will pack up and go somewhere, untill that happens im staying put.

Not sure I follow your logic, as you are implying that companies need to justify their presence in Thailand and are terrified to shut operations temporarily. Why would a company need to justify their presence and be terrified that the country was struck by a natural (and man made) disaster? Any division of any company only comes under scrutiny if they are non-productive and losing money. The multinational company I work for has regional offices in Bangkok. They shuddered the offices a week ago in BKK and moved to Pattaya temporarily. No harm, no foul, just carrying on business as usual.

As for the OP, your argument is flawed in that you make the assumption that "most" farang have the capital to evacuate. Why would you make that assumption? I know many farang in Thailand who are just regular working stiffs and not on a corporate package or pension.

I disagree with you

In this case the Governor of Bangkok is ordering evacuation, if any farang has got themselves into a position that they cannot financially afford to evacuate then they are in a sorry state. I understand a relocation back to farangland would cost serious money for many however a few hundred baht would get you out of the city, a few thousand baht would see you through for a while in another Thai location. If you cannot afford to respond to an emergency then your living too close to the edge.

Why would anyone that could avoid it want to live in a soup of sewage for anywhere between two to six weeks?

why would that decision be anyone's business to question? :huh:

This is an open forum and as far as I can see the topic abides by the rules. So if I want to ask why someone would want to live in sewage for 6 weeks that is a matter for me.

It may not have occurred to some people that is the scenario that they are facing. I can see a topic pinned in the Thailand News section discussing water borne diseases, as the topic has been pinned I will go on the assumption that someone else believes it is a serious issue.

I disagree with you

In this case the Governor of Bangkok is ordering evacuation, if any farang has got themselves into a position that they cannot financially afford to evacuate then they are in a sorry state. I understand a relocation back to farangland would cost serious money for many however a few hundred baht would get you out of the city, a few thousand baht would see you through for a while in another Thai location. If you cannot afford to respond to an emergency then your living too close to the edge.

"Living too close to the edge", like i said in my post above, the day my area actually floods, ill get out of here, untill that i wont get paranoid and or panick. We been living with this doomdays threat for three weeks now after all, every weekend is the weekend the great flood is coming, and so far so good for me, every morning the street down below is dry when i wake up, the restaurants and street vendors and my local market have food. The discos and bars are still open etc.

The logistics of moving a family of five, with a five, six and eight year old - coupled with preparing our house for the worst, moving all the furniture upstairs etc. And then there's work for my partner and I, and schools for the kids. The amount of people moving out of Bangkok, the traffic, where to go, how to get there and where to find a room to accomadate us all when we get there. It's all quite complicated when you actually live here as a working family and not a tourist, single-male expat or whatever. There are no physical signs of a flood yet in our location and the information is contradictory. We are about ready, things safe and bag packed to go, but, it's a difficult decision. We've just arrived back from a holiday on the islands and it's taken this long to prepare the house so we don't lose everything if the water hits. We will probably leave tomorrow. We are not being selfish just trying to prepare.

The logistics of moving a family of five, with a five, six and eight year old - coupled with preparing our house for the worst, moving all the furniture upstairs etc. And then there's work for my partner and I, and schools for the kids. The amount of people moving out of Bangkok, the traffic, where to go, how to get there and where to find a room to accomadate us all when we get there. It's all quite complicated when you actually live here as a working family and not a tourist, single-male expat or whatever. There are no physical signs of a flood yet in our location and the information is contradictory. We are about ready, things safe and bag packed to go, but, it's a difficult decision. We've just arrived back from a holiday on the islands and it's taken this long to prepare the house so we don't lose everything if the water hits. We will probably leave tomorrow. We are not being selfish just trying to prepare.

Your a family man and it is obviously stressful for you. I hope things work out well for you. I used the word " selfish " in the OP to possibly spur some people into thinking about what they are doing. You and the previous poster are obviously on top of your game.

To the previous poster, yes I can see why the conflicting information would be frustrating. Again I hope things work out well for you.

The OP is a troll no matter how hard he tries to deny it, maybe he dont realise it himself.

Anyone who lives in Central Bangkok knows why they decide to stay. It dont have to be explained really.

The statement in the OP "The boss says evacuate (or atleast part of it) is hillarious in itself.

I'm going to take a guess and say that the OP doesn't live in Bangkok. But let's just clarify it anyway- there hasn't been a citywide order- the majority of districts haven't been told to evacuate. So the whole premise of the original post doesn't really work- unless it just aimed at people who live in the districts that have been told to evacuate. And I'm thinking that none of the people replying so far do.

In the unlikely event that I was ill or injured, I wouldn't be at a local hospital, I'd paying for it at private hospital, so I'd be putting more money into the economy. And I'm not taking any bottles off the shelf as I've got a water purifier at home and have stocked up an emergency supply for a long time.

I kind of think posts like the original one are actually part of a bigger problem- that of people trying to cause unnecessary panic. Although the guy above me put it a lot better...

I disagree with you

Absolute bullshit, there has been no order of evacuation, just some advice to leave certain areas...I could leave tomorrow and choose any destination..but i like living and working here, Why should I leave..just because I am a Farang and have some Baht in my pocket and right now it's a bit of a hardship ?..This is the community I live in and will still be here long after the floods have gone. Think I'll stay and face what ever is coming with my fellow neighbours

I disagree with you

Absolute bullshit, there has been no order of evacuation, just some advice to leave certain areas...I could leave tomorrow and choose any destination..but i like living and working here, Why should I leave..just because I am a Farang and have some Baht in my pocket and right now it's a bit of a hardship ?..This is the community I live in and will still be here long after the floods have gone. Think I'll stay and face what ever is coming with my fellow neighbours

Spot on. At the moment if I leave my fellow Thai workers to it, their business will suffer; where we're living and working there is "currently" nothing to worry about. Not only will I lose their trust if I dart off, they will think I'm unreliable and all their help and hospitality they've given me has been spat back at them. Understandable if I was experiencinf floods now, but not while there isn't any.

To the OP - so, if farang darted out of BKK and took up all the last seats on buses, trains and planes instead of the locals, would that make them happier? Or by your logic, should Farang just walk, as Thais come first? DOn't mean to sound rude but I dont understand your logic.

A valid point, however, a close friend of mine who does work for an International company here in BKK and is high up in the chain gave this exact reason why they must stay open; closing down for fear of a 'possible' flood would not be good for the image of the BKK office. If the area is/was flooded then so be it; but at the moment people can come to work and people have the ability to do the work, so closing down now would be bad for its image.

Whether I personally agree with that strategy entirely is another thing, but that is what I guess many of the big companies are thinking.

:rolleyes:

It's really simple.

I could leave and also much of my Thai family could too.

My Thai wife however won't leave this house unless we drag her off kicking and screaming.

It's her pride and joy, the proof that 30 years married to a farang was worthwhile.

And, as for me, I'm staying here with her.

After all, I've got 30 plus years invested in her...and I'm not leaving until the situation is beyond control.

I don't really care one fig about what we "own"...but I do care about my Thai fanily.

In 1975 I was "evacuated" involuntarily from the the city then called Saigon.

I lost a lot more than useless "property" then...including a Vietnamese wife and (adopted) daughter.

So this time I'm sticking.

That's just a personal view...others can do what they feel is best for them.

:whistling:

:rolleyes:

But let me add...for 4 days I've been watching the warnings and evacuation advice on television.

So far there hasn't been any water outside my house except when my wife hoses down outside the gate to stop dust and dirt being tracked in.

At 9:30 a.m. Saturday 29 October 2011 Lad Phrao and my soi is still bone dry.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Where in the Op was there anything which prompted : "I understand that, however the Human Resources departments of many overseas companies would have a fit at the implications of forcing their employees to work in these conditions."

I live here, work, pay rent etc. I have just as much right as anyone else to stay put, as although I am a foreign national I am also a "local."

Perhaps during Katrina the locals should have vented their anger on any asians who did not evacuate, and according to your logic would be right to do so. Would you like to see a group of Thais working in New O being savagely beaten by a gang of african americans?

Geez, get a life.

I live here, work, pay rent etc. I have just as much right as anyone else to stay put, as although I am a foreign national I am also a "local."

Perhaps during Katrina the locals should have vented their anger on any asians who did not evacuate, and according to your logic would be right to do so. Would you like to see a group of Thais working in New O being savagely beaten by a gang of african americans?

Geez, get a life.

That's a big leap in logic, comparing Bangkok with Katrina. To my recollection there was a period during the approach of Katrina where people were saying " We're staying, we'll tough it out ", then they got hit with the worst natural disaster in modern US history, mainly due to the failure of the levees.

No one is suggesting that is going to happen to BKK, and your comparison is foolish, and your next crack about savage beatings gives an insight into the workings of your mind. Not a pretty sight.

I would suggest to many of the posters that the troll in the garden are the people who are not taking this issue seriously enough. In fact some people are not aware that the governor of Bangkok has ordered the evacuation of three districts already.

He's the governor, he's the boss......his orders will have an affect upon you whether you like it or not.

The British Foreign office has advised against all but essential travel to the flood affected areas in Thailand, and stated that local authority advice should be followed. I don't know what advice other countries have handed out to their citizens.

So that now begs a question.........are you now insured? We all know that insurance companies will sneak through any hole in their policy. So let's go back to the governor ordering evacuation, you stay, you get hurt, and you try to claim on your insurance.....................fill in the details yourself.

Some of you guys that are insisting on staying are the real trolls. Please note, I said some, not all, just some.

ps To the previous poster that asked, I left BKK 10 days ago. I don't have to be there just now so I am not there.