Plan Mulled To Cut Channel Through Bangkok Roads

webfact

cutting a trench in a road cuts a lot more than the road itself. There can be electric, gas, telephone, water pipes running underground. Woops, almost forgot, this is Thailand, and electric lines are all strung overhead like a giant manic spiders' nests.

When the roads are cut, do they have a plan to put temporary bridge spans in place?

It sounds to me like a knee jerk reaction to the flooding. Plus, there should already by culverts and storm drains in parts, which would enable at least some portion of the water to move downstream.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wasn't there a prediction that large swathes of Thailand will be covered in water made last century?

Well, you're sorta correct. There is a prophecy that dates from the time of the first of the Chakri Kings, Rama 1, that stated that in the year 2555 that the area of Siam where Bangkok now sits would be "swallowed by the sea and be no more".

The man actually made 5 major predictions. This was one of them Another was how the Burmese would occupy what is now Chiang Mai for almost 200 years, which happened. The others, due to the sensitivity of dealing with the Royal Lineage, can't be talked about on here. Anyway, so far the guy has "nailed" it in regards to his predictions. Let's see if he's right about this one as well.

Oh, and if ya didn't notice, HE said the year 2555, but wasn't specific as to any month, etc. And what's the date now? Humm, almost November 2554.

:jap:

I am confident that no one here could handle this situation as well as the current Prime Minister.

And you state this having absolutely no idea what most of us do as professionals.

Blurry line between belief and facts, for some...

A series of off-topic posts and replies to them as well as one that is critical of the royal family have been removed.

Please stay on the topic of the thread. There are people who will be effected by this action and wading, pardon the pun, through nonsensical posts, is not constructive or helpful.

According to reports it seems as if the whole idea has been shelved.

Govt not to demolish roads for drainage

The Nation

Transport Minister Sukumpol Suwanathat on Friday confirmed the government would not demolish roads in eastern Bangkok for drainage of floodwater into the sea via Samut Prakan.

"After a thorough survey of eastern Bangkok, no roads have been found to block the water flaw," he said.

Sukumpol said efforts will be intensified to dredge existing canals and waterways in order to speed up the diversion of floodwater to the sea.

One wonders whether this particular Freudian slip was intended or not. water flaw

Certainly a flaw regarding the amount of water we have at this moment in time .laugh.gif

Edited by siampolee

Wasn't there a prediction that large swathes of Thailand will be covered in water made last century?

Well, you're sorta correct. There is a prophecy that dates from the time of the first of the Chakri Kings, Rama 1, that stated that in the year 2555 that the area of Siam where Bangkok now sits would be "swallowed by the sea and be no more".

The man actually made 5 major predictions. This was one of them Another was how the Burmese would occupy what is now Chiang Mai for almost 200 years, which happened. The others, due to the sensitivity of dealing with the Royal Lineage, can't be talked about on here. Anyway, so far the guy has "nailed" it in regards to his predictions. Let's see if he's right about this one as well.

Oh, and if ya didn't notice, HE said the year 2555, but wasn't specific as to any month, etc. And what's the date now? Humm, almost November 2554.

Rama I: 1782-1809

Burmese occupation of Chiang Mai ended 1774

Not a difficult prediction! I predict England will win the World Cup in 1966

I quote:

"However, Seri Suparathit, an expert in public disasters from Rangsit University, yesterday expressed opposition to the plan, saying it would not work as the water level in the eastern Bang Pakong River was higher than that in Bangkok.

He suggested that the best solution would be to remove the floodwalls along Canals 9 to 13 and focus on pumping water out at 50 million cubic metres per second."

That is some big mother of a pump --- 50,000,000 Tonnes of water every second? Without knowing the head I doubt if there is power enough in the whole world to drive it? Surely he said 50 mlps (ie: millilitres per second). But, that is far too modest to have much impact in my experience. Submersibles abound quite capable of 11 lps so an array of 5 or 6 would scorch along at 50 lps -- the only likely problem would be installing the power supply in short order

Rama I: 1782-1809

Burmese occupation of Chiang Mai ended 1774

Not a difficult prediction! I predict England will win the World Cup in 1966

Ok, I'm the one who may be incorrect on the dates, and if so, I stand corrected. Not the first, and certainly won't be the last, time I have been incorrect on something. However, I did have a copy of the old text, which my niece provided and translated for me, and pointed out the 5 major predictions. Three have come true, the 4th is looking very likely, but for reasons of LM, we can't talk about that. The 5th, and final, was about the area of Siam where BKK now sits being swallowed by the sea.

I was told directly by an adviser to "his primeminister" that Yingluck is simply the media puppet and Taksin is and will continue to be the 1 and only person that every politician on the red side reports to directly.

I am sure Yingluck is a nice person but everything going on is actually being channeled from her brother

No surprises there i suppose but what is the media doing????

I say "DO IT."

And a big THANK YOU for the lady Prime Minister who is holding up and doing remarkably well. I believe in you and I support you. You are dealing with an unprecedented situation in Thailand.

May the blessing of the Triple Gem be with you!!!

[6.21pm Weera Wongsaengnak declared road demolishment from Klong 9 - Klong 10 for drainage will be done tonight / TR @Rawangpai [/

Transport Minister Sukumpol Suwanathat on Friday confirmed the government would not demolish roads in eastern Bangkok for drainage of floodwater into the sea via Samut Prakan.

Once again ... conflicting info from the great leaders

50 million cabic metres per second?

Can anyone imagine the size of such a pump?

It is not how much but how far, moving 50 million cubic metres at one micrometre per second is feasiblebiggrin.gif

Had a little Skype chat to a friend of mine and he agrees that it could be done but where are you going to get the pump from? These things don't just appear, they are made for the job so we are talking a year maybe.

6:39pm PM Yingluck accelerated orders to demolish the road at Klong 9 Rangsit bit.ly/uQ5doY TR @Voice_TV

Dr Seri says govt is doing right thing in rejecting road breakup & focusing on canal system for draining water on eastern side.@terryfrd

It is not how much but how far, moving 50 million cubic metres at one micrometre per second is feasiblebiggrin.gif

Had a little Skype chat to a friend of mine and he agrees that it could be done but where are you going to get the pump from? These things don't just appear, they are made for the job so we are talking a year maybe.

Think about a big ejectulation (sp?) maybe from the Jolly Green Giant :sick:

<br>
<br>Tunnels through hills and deep underground yes, that is not what is needed.<br>Dig down 1-2 stories and pour cement over  steel, then build the road back over it.Much of the USA and European subways were done like this. Later deeper tunnels were done under them with stone cutting machines, but for Bangkok that would be under sea level and useless.not neccesary to empty water all year long, just flood season. But EVERY flood season.<br>
<br>Any tunnel underground in Bangkok would be under sea level.  That's why the use pumps everywhere.<br>
<br><br>Which is why just under street level, with or without pumps is the only way. Main problem is not enough ways of egress. And not all of Bkk is under sea level, nor is every day, nor every tide. If Bangkok were under sea level this wouldn't be an issue, because the water would flood the city EVERY tide, or 24/7.

Quote: [last paragraph],

"... and focus on pumping water out at 50 million cubic metres per second".

- really? are they saying that they have pumps that are pumping at 50 MILLION cubic metres PER SECOND????

doesn't that sound a bit high??? is this correct?

There are 3,600 seconds per hour. Do the math - 180,000,000,000, (180 billion), cubic metres per hour! That amount of water would cover 69,500 square miles to a depth of 1 metre. In a few hours the entire country would be devoid of water.:jap: The total land area of Thailand is 197,595 square miles. In 2.85 hours these 'pumps' could remove water 1 metre deep from the entire country!

Edited by Prairieboy

I totally agree , I have a similar situation with my wife and her family .

My Wife and her family's house would be put at risk if they do this. Her parents refuse to leave the house and my Wife won't leave Bangkok without them.

So don't give me this "give it a try" "maybe it will work" B.S.

Toyota has nothing to lose and everything to gain by this.

What about the people who have nothing to gain?

Edited by expat4life

Think about a big ejectulation (sp?) maybe from the Jolly Green Giant :sick:

He said it wouldn't be an issue given the length of time it would take to manufacture the pump. 4-5m wide pipe going to the sea wouldn't take half as long to construct.

Well, the Japanese certainly know about blowing things up; ask the guys at Pearl. But I say destroying Bangkok's key thoroughfares (Bangna Trat!) is simply not enough.

I don't work for Toyota (or even Mazda for that matter) but I suggest the selective use of thermonuclear weapons to clear a few channels between the water and the sea is what's really needed.

Now where's the USS G. Washington, and more specifically it's arsenal, when you REALLY need it.

Guaranteed delivery in 30 minutes or the next one's free..

Has to be an error. Can you imagine the size of the exit pipe that would be required?

"World's Biggest Water Pump Under Construction In New Orleans,

The Army Corps of Engineers has broken ground on a serious construction project: a 150,000-gallon-per-second"

This is equivalent to about 568 cubic metres/second. Therfore to pump 50 million cubic metres/sec one would need 88,000 such pumps B) .

Edited by Prairieboy

Plan is total desperation. Chanel would need to be over 100 meters wide and 100 meters deep and that won't put a dent on it even if it was physically possible to do. Just saw the Dr. on TV who proposed the idea. His numbers are way off and fall short. Nice idea in theory but just not practical.

Flood control must be done BEFORE the flood, not AFTER. After Katrina, flood waters remained for months before they finally drained away. And they did that naturally. Will be the same here in Bangkok. So starting from the gulf working your way north start removing any barriers that go East or West. Make clear paths southward to the gulf. And finally remove that levee that goes East to West along Hwy 9 and let the water drain. Damage already done, you can't do any more but let the water takes its course.

TMHO :jap:

Believe it or not, at peak flow rate, Niagra Falls delivers a flow rate of 168,000 m3 per minute!!! which is equal to 2800 m3 per second so the pump in question would be just under 18000 times more powerful than the water going over Niagra Falls every second. I'd definitely buy tickets to watch that ! :)

Believe it or not, at peak flow rate, Niagra Falls delivers a flow rate of 168,000 m3 per minute!!! which is equal to 2800 m3 per second so the pump in question would be just under 18000 times more powerful than the water going over Niagra Falls every second. I'd definitely buy tickets to watch that ! :)

The flow from the Amazon River is 300,000 cumecs at peak flow - these pumps could handle the volume of 167 Amazon Rivers. They could also pump Lake Superior (in North America) dry in 67 hours B)

Absolute rubbish. There is not one pump that can displace that much water in existance, not even close. I clould not even imagine what would even power a pump 1/100th of the size they're claiming.

Absolute rubbish. There is not one pump that can displace that much water in existance, not even close. I clould not even imagine what would even power a pump 1/100th of the size they're claiming.

I tend to agree. I imagine the source was misquoted or otherwise just pulled that figure out of their ass without considering the implication. You should hear my wife trying to quote mathmatical figures in engrish......."Lek says they paid twenty five....uh.... hundred.... thousand for their house !!!"

According to reports it seems as if the whole idea has been shelved.

Govt not to demolish roads for drainage

The Nation

"After a thorough survey of eastern Bangkok, no roads have been found to block the water flaw," he said.

Followed by:

6.21pm Weera Wongsaengnak declared road demolishment from Klong 9 - Klong 10 for drainage will be done tonight / TR @Rawangpai

Followed by:

6:39pm PM Yingluck accelerated orders to demolish the road at Klong 9 Rangsit bit.ly/uQ5doY TR @Voice_TV

FROC's SOP:

doubleturn.jpg

You seen the desalinisation pump in Dubai? I'd say it's around 100m x 100m x 100m. Is, or was, the biggest in the world.

You seen the desalinisation pump in Dubai? I'd say it's around 100m x 100m x 100m. Is, or was, the biggest in the world.

Or that milk power factory just south of Gore (south island NZ). Can suck a 20,000 litre tanker full of milk out in 20 seconds?