Just Arrived!

Rusticvilla

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Help is needed to find the true expat living in Thailand."

You probably find them in expensive lounges , clubs, restaurants, hotels, etc - often on corporate accounts.

You sound to me a British-educated Thai brat who tends to look down on normal people.

Definitely uneducated American - he talks about prices in dollars :whistling:

Maybe but I am American and have moved far far away from expat havens and really don't care if I come across another expat and generally hope I don't. I think in Celsius and Baht and really don't care what that half white President does.

Go back to where you came from and meet people there. Sounds like you have a rotten attitude. Not needed in Chiangmai.

It is my thought that he has a rotten attitude about the people that have a rotten attitude about Thailand. Accept the way it is not the way you want it to be.

I bought a bowl of food yesterday for my dinner, it cost 2 dollars. How can you complain at that.

Sorry, but to fit in your expat profile, I would have to complain that your food was far too expensive, 30-35bht for most local dishes.

Or maybe they doubled the price for your food as you were an obvious rube.

I'll have to agree. 1 dish is 20 baht. At the most an afternoon meal for 1 should be no more that 40 baht. How much is that in USD?

The foreigners here tend to be a diverse lot. Many of them have had experience of other parts of the world before coming to roost in Chiang Mai. Much can be learned from them even though they may not fully understand certain things about where they are now.

People who speak the language fluently and have lived among Thais long enough to see their children become teenagers and young adults are the ones you can learn the most from. But don't forget This Is Thailand, and things are not always what they seem.

As I often tell newcomers, listen to farangs who have been here awhile. If you don't you will get lessons from Thais that you won't forget anytime soon.