Bangkok's Sukhumvit Sois 48, 50 Flooded

webfact

Flood Barricade Defending Phra Khanong Canal Breaks Down

Disaster struck when the flood barricade defending the Phra Khanong canal’s embankments suddenly broke down, discharging large volumes of water to inundate Sukhumvit 48 and 50 roads.

Officials are confident that they will be able to repair the flood wall by this evening before the high tides from the sea bolsters the water volume.

Director of Klong Toei District, Wiparat Chainanukit, revealed that a ten-meter flood barricade built along the Phra Khanong canals are in the process of being rebuilt. Officers from the Department of Water Drainage and military personnel coordinated with each other to help fix cracks that emerged along the barrier. Recently, the water near the Sukhumvit areas has receded and has flowed down into down the drains leading to the Bang Chak canal.

From this incident, residents living in these areas are gradually moving their cars to be parked on expressway bridges within the exit routes of Sukhumvit 62 Road, filling up the bridge space as they fear that the increasing water will wreak havoc further and damage their property.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-10-28

footer_n.gif

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow two streets in the whole of Bangkok, what a joke, yes lets all run.........

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/view.php?id=76234&src=nha

look at the before and after picture

remember the whole of bangkok will not flood at once !, it does take a bit of time, and untill you are in a flood, you will realise how quick the water can come ....... or if a flood wall breaks, the water can come in dangerously quick

better to be safe , rather then sorry !, as if they dont evacuate and bkk does flood heavily and they DIDNT give out a warning, what would people say then?

If it doesnt flood, GREAT , but they took precatuions, if it DOES flood, then they have made the right choice

Correct, if "whole of Bangkok" means Sukhumvit to you.

No, I mean it is absolutely nothing, do I have to explain a sentence like that....

Is this all a ruse?

Who is guarding the banks and the gold shops?

I have it on good authority that Nemo is guarding the banks, and Charlie the Tuna has been assigned the gold shops.

:lol:

Thanks for the laugh...

grammaire corrections - good humority, (river) banks, and gold (fish) shops

smile.gif

Is this all a ruse?

I have it on good authority that Nemo is guarding the banks, and Charlie the Tuna has been assigned the gold shops.

Thanks for the laugh...

Hey, tlansford, you GOT it!! I was wondering if anyone would.

:cheesy:

You sound like some of my neighbors a few weeks ago, but when the slow trickles of water began to creep in, people still chuckled, "That's the great flood?" Soon is was ankle high, then waist high, before if got chest high and started to fill up homes, many left, including me.

Don't fool yourself, fool! If you think this is all a joke, please go elsewhere. I'm here for valid and useful information.

Edited by frodo

Correct, if "whole of Bangkok" means Sukhumvit to you.

No, I mean it is absolutely nothing, do I have to explain a sentence like that....

Don Muang and Sai Mai have heavy flooding, Pinklao has flooding bad enough that Central Pinklao and the Pinklao Bridge had to close, and many river areas are having flooding every day during every high tide. There is definitely flooding in the city now.

You sound like some of my neighbors a few weeks ago, but when the slow trickles of water began to creep in, people still chuckled, "That's the great flood?" Soon is was ankle high, then waist high, before if got chest high and started to fill up homes, many left, including me.

Don't fool yourself, fool! If you think this is all a joke, please go elsewhere. I'm here for valid and useful information.

I agree. Please don't make pathetic sneering comments here. Let's share important information instead.

We are only 2-3 km from those Sois, up Onnut way, and we took it as a red alert, moving more things upstairs. This whole area of Sukhumvit in Prakanong, Wattana and Suan Luang is on low lying ground and some of it, including the two sois affected are below sea level. This is no time for complacency or being blase about things. Now heavy rain has started which won't help before tomorrow morning's mega high tide.

I am puzzled as to why the dyke could break on both sides of Klong Prakanong. It sounds rather suspicious to me and maybe someone is not telling the whole truth about what happens. However, sabotage is unlikely because no one would benefit.

just a reminder: the area of the OP is at the SOUTH end of Bangkok, which is not even supposed to be at the highest imminent risk yet.

It is a sobering sign that such areas are already experiencing trouble, and may be a preview of what is to come in OTHER WHOLE PROVINCES once the water gets through Bangkok. Samut Prakarn, certainly, and perhaps even Pattaya and Chonburi.

It is this type of attitude that excuses the government of the responsibility of informing the Bangkok masses in a 'timely' manner. The fact is that if Bangkok were told to evacuate one week ago, people would have stayed. They would have looked around at all the dry ground and thought 'where is the evidence'. Bangkok barriers begin to fail, the northern section of the city is inundated and still people will look around their little world and say, 'where is the evidence'.

This is not a flaw and I am not picking on the poster; it is human nature. In psychology, denial is a subconscious defense mechanism characterized by refusal to acknowledge painful realities, thoughts, or feelings. We were all blessed with this defense mechanism.

I myself was the same way in Chiang Mai at the end of September... we were being told that water was incoming and I looked for all of the reasons that this would not effect 'me'. I was as much a putz as the poster with this comment and shame on both of us.

My house and my business ended up being flooded by just over 1.5 meter flood levels. I was stranded on the second floor of my office building for 4 days, with food, water, electricity, Internet and it was still hell. I cannot comprehend in my worst imaginings what going through 3 or 4 weeks would be like. My advice is to pay heed to the government warnings, think worst case, and evacuate... including Sukhumvuit and Silom. You will realize that, once the water hits, your options are considerably reduced.

My post is to warn people not to fall into false comforts (and to later throw in some political commentary)... it is safer to avoid denial and give some thought about what life would be like with water levels up to your chest or neck (and that is for tall people). My thoughts go out to all of you in BKK... I hope that the water does not reach central areas but the reality is that you have an ocean of water above you and, any breach in flood defenses, physics takes over and water level inside the city will find equilibrium with levels outside of the barriers.

It is truly a scary thought, that it could happen in BKK; please do not be unprepared. In my opinion, any actions over the past couple of days, and in the coming days, are individual decisions... shame on anyone that wants to use this potential disaster for caterwauling, mudslinging, and general uneducated tripe we endure so much on this forum.

It is time to stop the armchair quarterbacking and take care of yourselves and your neighbors. If you are not in the flood effected areas, even some positive karma in this time of need is going to take this country a lot further than the moanings of a bunch of expat curmudgeons.

Perhaps if more than a small fraction of farangs on this forum understood the Thai language and ways, you would know that the work that is being accomplished and the level of support and cooperation of Thai people is humbling, regardless of shirt color. I am not a PTP supporter by any stretch but I think Yingluk is doing an outstanding job and I am certain beyond doubt that every decision she is making is with the intention to be in the best interest of the Thai people. That is all anyone can hope for or ask for, so lay off people.

Thai culture is 'amazing' and most of those of us that live here have realized this at some point in time... it is a shame that many of us have let this slide so easily as we return to our western ways and pick at every bloody detail like we are king shit of the universe (generally speaking, of course).

My belief is that Thailand will survive this catastrophe better than any other country I can imagine. It is the reason I love this country and it's people and I understand that I am an outsider being welcomed into a world different than any I knew before.

God Forbid that it flood Soi Cowboy or Sukhumvit Soi 33 where the dead painters bars arerolleyes.gif

Is this all a ruse?

Thanks for the laugh...

smile.gif

just a reminder: the area of the OP is at the SOUTH end of Bangkok, which is not even supposed to be at the highest imminent risk yet.

It is a sobering sign that such areas are already experiencing trouble, and may be a preview of what is to come in OTHER WHOLE PROVINCES once the water gets through Bangkok. Samut Prakarn, certainly, and perhaps even Pattaya and Chonburi.

Sukhumvit Soi 50

Saw it on the CH3 evening bulletin - Sorayuth interviewing some hi-so cornflake who was wearing a voluminous hairdo and thick make-up. If the same amount of face powder had been applied to the dyke, it would probably have prevented that disaster. :rolleyes:

It is this type of attitude that excuses the government of the responsibility of informing the Bangkok masses in a 'timely' manner. The fact is that if Bangkok were told to evacuate one week ago, people would have stayed. They would have looked around at all the dry ground and thought 'where is the evidence'. Bangkok barriers begin to fail, the northern section of the city is inundated and still people will look around their little world and say, 'where is the evidence'.

This is not a flaw and I am not picking on the poster; it is human nature. In psychology, denial is a subconscious defense mechanism characterized by refusal to acknowledge painful realities, thoughts, or feelings. We were all blessed with this defense mechanism.

I myself was the same way in Chiang Mai at the end of September... we were being told that water was incoming and I looked for all of the reasons that this would not effect 'me'. I was as much a putz as the poster with this comment and shame on both of us.

My house and my business ended up being flooded by just over 1.5 meter flood levels. I was stranded on the second floor of my office building for 4 days, with food, water, electricity, Internet and it was still hell. I cannot comprehend in my worst imaginings what going through 3 or 4 weeks would be like. My advice is to pay heed to the government warnings, think worst case, and evacuate... including Sukhumvuit and Silom. You will realize that, once the water hits, your options are considerably reduced.

My post is to warn people not to fall into false comforts (and to later throw in some political commentary)... it is safer to avoid denial and give some thought about what life would be like with water levels up to your chest or neck (and that is for tall people). My thoughts go out to all of you in BKK... I hope that the water does not reach central areas but the reality is that you have an ocean of water above you and, any breach in flood defenses, physics takes over and water level inside the city will find equilibrium with levels outside of the barriers.

It is truly a scary thought, that it could happen in BKK; please do not be unprepared. In my opinion, any actions over the past couple of days, and in the coming days, are individual decisions... shame on anyone that wants to use this potential disaster for caterwauling, mudslinging, and general uneducated tripe we endure so much on this forum.

It is time to stop the armchair quarterbacking and take care of yourselves and your neighbors. If you are not in the flood effected areas, even some positive karma in this time of need is going to take this country a lot further than the moanings of a bunch of expat curmudgeons.

Perhaps if more than a small fraction of farangs on this forum understood the Thai language and ways, you would know that the work that is being accomplished and the level of support and cooperation of Thai people is humbling, regardless of shirt color. I am not a PTP supporter by any stretch but I think Yingluk is doing an outstanding job and I am certain beyond doubt that every decision she is making is with the intention to be in the best interest of the Thai people. That is all anyone can hope for or ask for, so lay off people.

Thai culture is 'amazing' and most of those of us that live here have realized this at some point in time... it is a shame that many of us have let this slide so easily as we return to our western ways and pick at every bloody detail like we are king shit of the universe (generally speaking, of course).

My belief is that Thailand will survive this catastrophe better than any other country I can imagine. It is the reason I love this country and it's people and I understand that I am an outsider being welcomed into a world different than any I knew before.

Don't count on Thailand surviving this better than most countries. And it did not handle this well at all in fact. In a civilized country you don't have the prime minister ordering the agencies in charge of flood management to listen to pseudo-experts that were brought in to pay back political favors yet have no expertise in flood management. You don't have different arms of the government giving different accounts of what's going on and giving conflicting orders on diverting flood waters or building levees. And no civilized country would refuse help from the US navy in a time of need just to save face. There is much that could have been done to lessen the impact of the floods and you will see how the amazing Thais act in desperate circumstances as they already have by gouging people like they do.