Bangkok's Sukhumvit Sois 48, 50 Flooded

webfact

Wow two streets in the whole of Bangkok, what a joke, yes lets all run.........

It is this type of attitude that excuses the government of the responsibility of informing the Bangkok masses in a 'timely' manner. The fact is that if Bangkok were told to evacuate one week ago, people would have stayed. They would have looked around at all the dry ground and thought 'where is the evidence'. Bangkok barriers begin to fail, the northern section of the city is inundated and still people will look around their little world and say, 'where is the evidence'.

This is not a flaw and I am not picking on the poster; it is human nature. In psychology, denial is a subconscious defense mechanism characterized by refusal to acknowledge painful realities, thoughts, or feelings. We were all blessed with this defense mechanism.

I myself was the same way in Chiang Mai at the end of September... we were being told that water was incoming and I looked for all of the reasons that this would not effect 'me'. I was as much a putz as the poster with this comment and shame on both of us.

My house and my business ended up being flooded by just over 1.5 meter flood levels. I was stranded on the second floor of my office building for 4 days, with food, water, electricity, Internet and it was still hell. I cannot comprehend in my worst imaginings what going through 3 or 4 weeks would be like. My advice is to pay heed to the government warnings, think worst case, and evacuate... including Sukhumvuit and Silom. You will realize that, once the water hits, your options are considerably reduced.

My post is to warn people not to fall into false comforts (and to later throw in some political commentary)... it is safer to avoid denial and give some thought about what life would be like with water levels up to your chest or neck (and that is for tall people). My thoughts go out to all of you in BKK... I hope that the water does not reach central areas but the reality is that you have an ocean of water above you and, any breach in flood defenses, physics takes over and water level inside the city will find equilibrium with levels outside of the barriers.

It is truly a scary thought, that it could happen in BKK; please do not be unprepared. In my opinion, any actions over the past couple of days, and in the coming days, are individual decisions... shame on anyone that wants to use this potential disaster for caterwauling, mudslinging, and general uneducated tripe we endure so much on this forum.

It is time to stop the armchair quarterbacking and take care of yourselves and your neighbors. If you are not in the flood effected areas, even some positive karma in this time of need is going to take this country a lot further than the moanings of a bunch of expat curmudgeons.

Perhaps if more than a small fraction of farangs on this forum understood the Thai language and ways, you would know that the work that is being accomplished and the level of support and cooperation of Thai people is humbling, regardless of shirt color. I am not a PTP supporter by any stretch but I think Yingluk is doing an outstanding job and I am certain beyond doubt that every decision she is making is with the intention to be in the best interest of the Thai people. That is all anyone can hope for or ask for, so lay off people.

Thai culture is 'amazing' and most of those of us that live here have realized this at some point in time... it is a shame that many of us have let this slide so easily as we return to our western ways and pick at every bloody detail like we are king shit of the universe (generally speaking, of course).

My belief is that Thailand will survive this catastrophe better than any other country I can imagine. It is the reason I love this country and it's people and I understand that I am an outsider being welcomed into a world different than any I knew before.

Couldn't agree with you more, as a foreigner living here in Bangkok, I would say that PM Yingluck did a pretty good job, making tough decisions that would affect her standing among the Bangkokians and Elites by letting more flood water flow through Bangkok and it's border.

I would not consider her tears to be that of weakness, but rather tears of compassion for the making decision that will cause the suffering of some people in the hope of saving more people. Most Thai Politicians will rather keep Bangkokians and the Elites happy and let the majority suffers.

Because of the tough decisions she made, people in Ayutthaya, Lopburi and Nakhon Sawan finally have hope of seeing dry land after their homes were submerged in flood water for months.

" I would say that PM Yingluck did a pretty good job, making tough decisions that would affect her standing among the Bangkokians and Elites by letting more flood water flow through Bangkok and it's border. "

I second that! And for all those on Thai Visa that repeatedly criticise the way the authorities are handling this disaster, considering the overwhelming size of what is happening I remember about how those clowns handled the BP Oil Spill in the Gulf of Mexico last year :rolleyes:

Clearly there is some infighting at the top. Just look at ThaiVisa reporting last night on the possibility of creating channels in the roads for water flow. Two different opinions on the road channeling to resolve some flooding running parallel in the news. I would say Yingluck is having a tough time keeping everybody on the same page or maybe some of these Thai guys don't like having a woman as a leader. Either way coordination must be a nightmare.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is this type of attitude that excuses the government of the responsibility of informing the Bangkok masses in a 'timely' manner. The fact is that if Bangkok were told to evacuate one week ago, people would have stayed. They would have looked around at all the dry ground and thought 'where is the evidence'. Bangkok barriers begin to fail, the northern section of the city is inundated and still people will look around their little world and say, 'where is the evidence'.

This is not a flaw and I am not picking on the poster; it is human nature. In psychology, denial is a subconscious defense mechanism characterized by refusal to acknowledge painful realities, thoughts, or feelings. We were all blessed with this defense mechanism.

I myself was the same way in Chiang Mai at the end of September... we were being told that water was incoming and I looked for all of the reasons that this would not effect 'me'. I was as much a putz as the poster with this comment and shame on both of us.

My house and my business ended up being flooded by just over 1.5 meter flood levels. I was stranded on the second floor of my office building for 4 days, with food, water, electricity, Internet and it was still hell. I cannot comprehend in my worst imaginings what going through 3 or 4 weeks would be like. My advice is to pay heed to the government warnings, think worst case, and evacuate... including Sukhumvuit and Silom. You will realize that, once the water hits, your options are considerably reduced.

My post is to warn people not to fall into false comforts (and to later throw in some political commentary)... it is safer to avoid denial and give some thought about what life would be like with water levels up to your chest or neck (and that is for tall people). My thoughts go out to all of you in BKK... I hope that the water does not reach central areas but the reality is that you have an ocean of water above you and, any breach in flood defenses, physics takes over and water level inside the city will find equilibrium with levels outside of the barriers.

It is truly a scary thought, that it could happen in BKK; please do not be unprepared. In my opinion, any actions over the past couple of days, and in the coming days, are individual decisions... shame on anyone that wants to use this potential disaster for caterwauling, mudslinging, and general uneducated tripe we endure so much on this forum.

It is time to stop the armchair quarterbacking and take care of yourselves and your neighbors. If you are not in the flood effected areas, even some positive karma in this time of need is going to take this country a lot further than the moanings of a bunch of expat curmudgeons.

Perhaps if more than a small fraction of farangs on this forum understood the Thai language and ways, you would know that the work that is being accomplished and the level of support and cooperation of Thai people is humbling, regardless of shirt color. I am not a PTP supporter by any stretch but I think Yingluk is doing an outstanding job and I am certain beyond doubt that every decision she is making is with the intention to be in the best interest of the Thai people. That is all anyone can hope for or ask for, so lay off people.

Thai culture is 'amazing' and most of those of us that live here have realized this at some point in time... it is a shame that many of us have let this slide so easily as we return to our western ways and pick at every bloody detail like we are king shit of the universe (generally speaking, of course).

My belief is that Thailand will survive this catastrophe better than any other country I can imagine. It is the reason I love this country and it's people and I understand that I am an outsider being welcomed into a world different than any I knew before.

Don't count on Thailand surviving this better than most countries. And it did not handle this well at all in fact. In a civilized country you don't have the prime minister ordering the agencies in charge of flood management to listen to pseudo-experts that were brought in to pay back political favors yet have no expertise in flood management. You don't have different arms of the government giving different accounts of what's going on and giving conflicting orders on diverting flood waters or building levees. And no civilized country would refuse help from the US navy in a time of need just to save face. There is much that could have been done to lessen the impact of the floods and you will see how the amazing Thais act in desperate circumstances as they already have by gouging people like they do.

If you have such a low opinion of Thais why would you patronize a Web board focused on Thailand?? Thailand obviously wasn't for you (failed relationship, failed business??) so why not move on?

Interesting....thais never miss a chance in this forum to say, "If you don't like it then get out!". Personally I think the flooding is the topic here. I can handle a bit of venting from the westerners in here. Maybe you should consider that approach as well.

Also.... I am very happy how ThaiVisa is rapid firing these reports. Maybe we can get a heads up on when or if our area will be flooded.

Everything is dry Sukhumvit 77 , and up to Bang Na .

----------------

Thank you for that information.

Soi 50 if I still recall correctly is on the of the opposite side of the road road from the Rex Hotel which is Soi 34...again if I remember correctly. That is a known low point in elevation on Sukhumvit road, so naturally water runs down and pools there...even during heavy raibstorms.

I used to live in Soi 38, so I know the area well.

There was once a German girl living in the Soi 38 where I lived. A German guy asked her out to dinner and drinks. It was during the rainy season, and Soi 50 was flooded from a heavy thunderstorm. On their way home their taxi broke down and they had to wade to Soi 38. The German girl lost her lost her favorite high heel shoes in the water and the German guy litterly jumped into the storm drain to pull one of them out of the water in that storm drain.

They became a pair...and I was told that about a year later when he went back to Germany she went with him... eventually marrying him.

So Soi 50 and Soi 34 on the other side of the road are fixed in my mind.

That was long ago, before the storm drain pumps were put in however.

:D

IMA_Farange take a walk down memory lane when this is over. Soi 50 is beyond Soi On Nut with the Tesco Lotus across the street and the Sky Train station as well.

etc, etc. .. cut in the interst of length.

Don't count on Thailand surviving this better than most countries. And it did not handle this well at all in fact. In a civilized country you don't have the prime minister ordering the agencies in charge of flood management to listen to pseudo-experts that were brought in to pay back political favors yet have no expertise in flood management. You don't have different arms of the government giving different accounts of what's going on and giving conflicting orders on diverting flood waters or building levees. And no civilized country would refuse help from the US navy in a time of need just to save face. There is much that could have been done to lessen the impact of the floods and you will see how the amazing Thais act in desperate circumstances as they already have by gouging people like they do.

'In a civilized country', <deleted> ??? Are you blind to political incompetence in every country? Civilized!!! Get out of Dodge man! Thanks spermwhale for proving the point. You are a sheep falling in with a bunch of ascerbic bystanders and a garbage tabloid newspaper. If you took the time to learn the realities of the situation your insight might be useful.

BTW the US Embassy categorically denies that Thailand refused help from the vaunted US Navy and that they are working in close cooperation. Your other comments are regurgitated rhetoric and that usually means it tastes much worse coming out than it did going in; not worth adressing. Study your subject and form some educated thoughts before you carry on with this type of uninformed, unproductive hype.

I'm not one of the people on this board that kisses Thai booties. I call it as I see it and I'm well studied and read on what's happening here. I'm in the media and stories on the flooding come by my desk everyday. Nothing acerbic about my comments and nothing copied from anybody else. This government knew for months that the floods would come to Bangkok but did nothing to prepare. They sat on their hands worrying about how to get Thaksin back to the country. They had time to prepare to brainstorm, but instead they were busy with apparently more pressing issues. This is not like a tsunami or an earthquake. They knew it was coming, but apparently disaster preparedness and prudent risk management was too much work. And yes, a civilized country has an emergency agency in place with experts that don't have to take orders from a prime minister who knows NOTHING about flood management. And the people she sent in to advise, like Sudarat, have nothing to add but their own egos.

While my sympathies go out to ALL who are affected by this disaster, the more pragmatic, or critical side, if you will, fixes the blame for this squarely on the shoulder of the Thai. Not the AVERAGE Thai, but those with money, power, and who have had the ability to prevent this.

The flood problem has been staring every government of Thailand in the face for YEARS, and no one has done anything about it.

For too many YEARS, the rich and elite, and let's face it, mostly from BKK, have been allowed to encroach on what is supposed to be protected forest land to cut down trees and brush to build their mansions, private residences and resorts, destroying the natural habitat that absorbs and retains water.

For too many YEARS the rich and elite have built, or have allowed to have built, factories, housing projects, condos and other structures in areas that were previously natural run off areas for the rain.

For too many YEARS construction has run rampant with absolutely NO thought of the consequences to nature and the results of their actions.

Money and Greed are the mantras which drive those who have the ability, and authority to change things, but didn't because there wasn't a profit in it for them, or it wasn't politically "expedient" to do so.

If I could be like Moses and strike a deal with God, I wouldn't part any sea, but I'd sure as hell send the flood waters to the residence of EVERY politician, every "hi-so", every "elite", while keeping high and dry the REAL Thai who struggle from day to day just to survive and provide for their families. Maybe then the much needed changes would actually happen, and not just be sound bites about how "we won't let it happen again" that are forgotten as soon as the camera is turned off.

This may sound cold and callous, but if it takes BKK being flooded for those who have the ability to actually do something about it to finally DO something about it, then maybe that will be a good thing. Maybe this will be the wake up call, or lesson that things HAVE to change, that long term, viable projects have to begin A.S.A.P. so that no Thai has to suffer like this again.

You are callous and your attempt to turn my suffering into some kind of political statement favoring your precious red shirts and blame the Bangkok elite is offensive in the extreme. If you said this to my face I would have slapped you for your arrogance and malice.

Yes, deforestation is a problem by elite everywhere throughout Thailand. Not simply by the wealthy in Bangkok. Poor farmers are also guilty of clearing state forest land for their farms. Everyone who eats is guilty. But this problem we are having now is the result of a few people who mismanaged the reservoirs. There was not significantly more rain this year than last year, and there were no issues then. The Bangkok elite did not magically cut down enough trees in the past 12 months to justify your repugnant views.

Nobody deserves to be flooded for any reason. The water is already over the second floor of my home causing over 1 million baht of damage, and while I live in Bangkok I am far from "the Bangkok elite". I am no different than you. I hope your house floods, and that you find yourself having to beg on the streets of Pattaya for a few liters of bottled water to make your infant twin's formula. Because there isn't any water anywhere.

And if this sounds callous then you deserve it. It is people like you who make this world the cesspool that it is.

Edited by gregb

Soi 39 Sukhumvit still okay

According to some sources it seems that Sukhumvit soi 24 and it's side soi is being threatened by flooding. Bar staff have therefore quickly undressed to save their valuables and belongings and to keep their clothes dry. They are temporary taking shelter now on elevated platforms inside the bars, erected by Government agencies, like standing in BMT busses with copper poles... But this is unconfirmed and perhaps only a rumour coming from unreliable sources.

While my sympathies go out to ALL who are affected by this disaster, the more pragmatic, or critical side, if you will, fixes the blame for this squarely on the shoulder of the Thai. Not the AVERAGE Thai, but those with money, power, and who have had the ability to prevent this.

The flood problem has been staring every government of Thailand in the face for YEARS, and no one has done anything about it.

For too many YEARS, the rich and elite, and let's face it, mostly from BKK, have been allowed to encroach on what is supposed to be protected forest land to cut down trees and brush to build their mansions, private residences and resorts, destroying the natural habitat that absorbs and retains water.

For too many YEARS the rich and elite have built, or have allowed to have built, factories, housing projects, condos and other structures in areas that were previously natural run off areas for the rain.

For too many YEARS construction has run rampant with absolutely NO thought of the consequences to nature and the results of their actions.

Money and Greed are the mantras which drive those who have the ability, and authority to change things, but didn't because there wasn't a profit in it for them, or it wasn't politically "expedient" to do so.

If I could be like Moses and strike a deal with God, I wouldn't part any sea, but I'd sure as hell send the flood waters to the residence of EVERY politician, every "hi-so", every "elite", while keeping high and dry the REAL Thai who struggle from day to day just to survive and provide for their families. Maybe then the much needed changes would actually happen, and not just be sound bites about how "we won't let it happen again" that are forgotten as soon as the camera is turned off.

This may sound cold and callous, but if it takes BKK being flooded for those who have the ability to actually do something about it to finally DO something about it, then maybe that will be a good thing. Maybe this will be the wake up call, or lesson that things HAVE to change, that long term, viable projects have to begin A.S.A.P. so that no Thai has to suffer like this again.

You are callous and your attempt to turn my suffering into some kind of political statement favoring your precious red shirts and blame the Bangkok elite is offensive in the extreme. If you said this to my face I would have slapped you for your arrogance and malice.

Yes, deforestation is a problem by elite everywhere throughout Thailand. Not simply by the wealthy in Bangkok. Poor farmers are also guilty of clearing state forest land for their farms. Everyone who eats is guilty. But this problem we are having now is the result of a few people who mismanaged the reservoirs. There was not significantly more rain this year than last year, and there were no issues then. The Bangkok elite did not magically cut down enough trees in the past 12 months to justify your repugnant views.

Nobody deserves to be flooded for any reason. The water is already over the second floor of my home causing over 1 million baht of damage, and while I live in Bangkok I am far from "the Bangkok elite". I am no different than you. I hope your house floods, and that you find yourself having to beg on the streets of Pattaya for a few liters of bottled water to make your infant twin's formula. Because there isn't any water anywhere.

And if this sounds callous then you deserve it. It is people like you who make this world the cesspool that it is.

gregb

Me thinks you are way over reacting...a LOT. I can only suggest re reading just1voice's post and count to 10 and ask yourself if you wrote a measured response. I appreciate the stress you must be under but you are firing from the hip there mate.

Soi 39 Sukhumvit still okay

According to some sources it seems that Sukhumvit soi 24 and it's side soi is being threatened by flooding. Bar staff have therefore quickly undressed to save their valuables and belongings and to keep their clothes dry. They are temporary taking shelter now on elevated platforms inside the bars, erected by Government agencies, like standing in BMT busses with copper poles... But this is unconfirmed and perhaps only a rumour coming from unreliable sources.

I didn't know there were bars in Suk. Soi 24. Maybe I should get around a bit more? Now if someone would mention soi 22, Washington Square, or somewhat opposite soi 23, then I too might get concerned ;)

Edited by rubl

To the sound of applause! Hear him! Hear him!

Just a local update [ I am just a bit West of Bang Bua Thong ]. The water rose another cm overnight, it is now at 70 cm deep. Yesterday there was a noticeable flow towards Bangkok, today the water seems stationary. Trees are dying and falling over everywhere, could become yet another hazard.

The trees are probably not dying (yet).

But as the ground becomes waterlogged the big trees' root structures "lose their grip" so to speak and this is what brings them down.

Just a local update [ I am just a bit West of Bang Bua Thong ]. The water rose another cm overnight, it is now at 70 cm deep. Yesterday there was a noticeable flow towards Bangkok, today the water seems stationary. Trees are dying and falling over everywhere, could become yet another hazard.

The trees are probably not dying (yet).

But as the ground becomes waterlogged the big trees' root structures "lose their grip" so to speak and this is what brings them down.

The trees are dying, some have shed all their leaves. The hair rootlets of trees live in a relationship with soils organisms that are aerobic, additionally the root cellular osmotic pressure is disrupted and sap cannot rise. Some species are more water tolerant than others, mangrove being a classic example. I have noticed that tamarind, jackfruit and papaya seem particularly unhappy, plus others I cannot identify.

gregb

Me thinks you are way over reacting...a LOT. I can only suggest re reading just1voice's post and count to 10 and ask yourself if you wrote a measured response. I appreciate the stress you must be under but you are firing from the hip there mate.

definitely over reacting, there is truth in what Just1voice wrote but also truth in gregb's comments, all levels of Thai society are to blame from the richest most powerful elite to the poorest farmer. However it is only the self same elite that have the power to implement change, as long as they do not personally suffer it would seem that many of them (not all) do not care about the rest. If it takes them having to suffer also before they act then callous as it may seem I wish it upon them.

A nation cannot ignore its environment, particularly at a time of rapid climate change, this flood is indeed a wake up call, I just hopes it wakes up enough people with the power to introduce change.

Just heard it also flooded down by Soi 50 again. Two different areas of the same road.

Thanks for that Garry. You wouldn't happen to know the fate of the other side: Soi On Nut (On Nutch) Suk. 77 especially by the Big C area (Sukhumvit end)?

Just saw a report by australian media on the thai floods they are saying climate change is to blame!!

At least that s what the scientist on climate change said anyway!!

What a moron commenting on something they no nothing about!

To be expected i suppose they obviously could not come over and find out the real reason why it is flooding

Just heard it also flooded down by Soi 50 again. Two different areas of the same road.

Thanks for that Garry. You wouldn't happen to know the fate of the other side: Soi On Nut (On Nutch) Suk. 77 especially by the Big C area (Sukhumvit end)?

Just asked the mrs, she has family living in the area, latest is no problem in that area.

Just asked the mrs, she has family living in the area, latest is no problem in that area.

Thanks for the update mate!

Can confirm that own units at LPN 77 river level normal no flooding

Thanks for the update mate!

On Saturday I cycled the full length of Onnut and then some out to Ladkrabang. The klong was high but not overflowing. Again, yesterday, I cycled to Onnut 17 to check out whether the fish were biting and noted that the level of the klong had actually dropped. So far lower Onnut is looking fine.

other bits left out

On Saturday I cycled the full length of Onnut and then some out to Ladkrabang. The klong was high but not overflowing. Again, yesterday, I cycled to Onnut 17 to check out whether the fish were biting and noted that the level of the klong had actually dropped. So far lower Onnut is looking fine.

Thanks again Garry! Sounds like we might get away high and dry!!!

I really do hope Central Bangkok stays dry and avoids the floods as I would not want anybody to go through what we have experienced in the Nakhon Sawan area since June....4 months we have had problems with the rain and floods...Nakhon Sawan is still flooded in areas and our local town Phayuha Khiri is still underwater...I was there yesterday and it's dropped about a foot.....since last week.....still chest high in places....roads are still flooded...but hopefully it will keep falling....but then once it's gone there is gonna be a hell of alot of cleaning up to be done...it's going to take months to clean the mess up.......many people have also lost their homes and business's.

Maybe be if you had experienced what a lot of us have experienced ( Thai's and Farang ) RVDK....even for a day....it might make you realise that this is not something that you should be making fun of...this is deadly serious...nearly 400 people have died to date...due to the floods.

I really do hope Central Bangkok stays dry and avoids the floods as I would not want anybody to go through what we have experienced in the Nakhon Sawan area since June....4 months we have had problems with the rain and floods...Nakhon Sawan is still flooded in areas and our local town Phayuha Khiri is still underwater...I was there yesterday and it's dropped about a foot.....since last week.....still chest high in places....roads are still flooded...but hopefully it will keep falling....but then once it's gone there is gonna be a hell of alot of cleaning up to be done...it's going to take months to clean the mess up.......many people have also lost their homes and business's.

Maybe be if you had experienced what a lot of us have experienced ( Thai's and Farang ) RVDK....even for a day....it might make you realise that this is not something that you should be making fun of...this is deadly serious...nearly 400 people have died to date...due to the floods.

Thank you for your post, its a pity more members do not have the sympathy for others that you clearly do. Good luck with your flooding and I hope it clears up soon