Flooded Bangkok's Defences Hold

webfact

Flooded Bangkok's defences hold

The high tide on Saturday was lower than expected and caused some localised flooding in the centre of the Thai capital.

The complex network of flood defences erected to shield Thailand's capital from the country's worst floods in nearly 60 years have held as coastal high tides hit their peak. No major breaches were immediately reported.

The high tide on Saturday morning was lower than expected and it caused some localised flooding in the centre of the city, Wayne Hay, Al Jazeera's correspondent in Bangkok, said.

Fear had gripped the city early in the day as tides along the Gulf of Thailand crested at about 9am and pushed the city's main waterway, the Chao Phraya river, to its brink. Overflows so far have lightly inundated riverside streets from Chinatown to the famed Temple of the Emerald Buddha.

But the white-walled royal Grand Palace was dry, less than 24 hours after being ringed by ankle-deep water, and the landmark remained open to tourists. Many visitors carried parasols to protect themselves from the blistering sunshine. [more]

Full story: http://english.aljazeera.net/news/asia-pacific/2011/10/2011102933224107508.html

-- english.aljazeera.net 2011-10-29

footer_n.gif

and this from the daily telegraph

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/breaking-news/bangkok-flood-shields-survive-first-peak/story-e6freuyi-1226180252511

Bangkok flood shields survive first peak

THE complex network of flood defences erected to shield Thailand's capital from the country's worst floods in nearly 60 years have been put to the test as coastal high tides hit their peak. No major breaches were immediately reported.

Many visitors carried parasols to protect themselves from the blistering sunshine.

20080601204052.jpg

Goodness me Hortense it seems as if the natives are friendly here.laugh.gif

Edited by siampolee

This is really great news! It has been a very stressful few days worrying about my family. Even though the flooding is far from over, I can breathe a sigh of relief.

And for those who migrated to Pattaya................................get out.

Just Kidding.:D

So can it be confirmed that the most dangerous part of the flood situation is over?

The super high tides run through tomorrow, there's another round in the middle of November and there's still the gigantic blob of water north of BKK.

So not over. But this good news and, hopefully, this this buys more time for water to flow/be diverted into the Gulf.

Inner Bangkok may escape flooding if no major barrier damage: Irrigation Department

The Royal Irrigation Department announced Saturday that inner Bangkok could escape flooding if there is no more major flood barrier damage between now and November 6.

The department explained that after November 6th, sea tide will not be a threat for flooding situation in the capital and the authorities will have only to deal with northern runoff and floodwaters around Bangkok.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-29

At last a bit of potential good news for the country, Bangkok and the government.

The TVF response after 2,661 views is about 12 inane posts.

Maybe the Prime Minister deserves a bit of praise at this point ??

Perhaps her hard efforts are starting to pay off ??

Some posters on here are going to love it when she, or her party, win the next election.

And, BTW, a red shirt is not defined as someone who disagrees with you.

At last a bit of potential good news for the country, Bangkok and the government.

... rest removed

I don't like the "could ... if" especially when another topic started today has "City's west may face metre-deep flood". Even if Inner Bangkok stays dry, there are millions of people in Greater Bangkok in flood water, some can't go home, 2- 3 meters of it.

If after six more days Inner Bangkok is still dry and never been wet, I'll praise the PM (a bit at least) as ultimately as PM of this government she has the responsibilities. I hope you'll excuse me if I denounce her (a little bit) when also Inner Bangkok sees flooding

Edited by rubl

Im sure you lot r taking the piss. The mass amount of water hasnt even reached bkk yet. has it?

if it has its all been a false alarm then. Jeez i was worried there for a minute.

Best i get everything downstairs again and go and pick my kids up.

Edited by maiphedmaiaroi

Im sure you lot r taking the piss. The mass amount of water hasnt even reached bkk yet. has it?

if it has its all been a false alarm then. Jeez i was worried there for a minute.

The mass of water is not the immediate concern. It's the high tides that would prevent draining into the Gulf. If the defences hold up over the weekend, then the backlog of water can continue to be let out. If this happens, kudos to the Government. Great move to invoke the disaster law. put the Governor in his place and take over the control of Bangkok's waterways.

Some posters on here are going to love it when she, or her party, win the next election.

And, BTW, a red shirt is not defined as someone who disagrees with you.

Nor for that matter is a yellow shirt, depending on your point of view, though that term is much more regularly misapplied.

The mass of water is not the immediate concern. It's the high tides that would prevent draining into the Gulf. If the defences hold up over the weekend, then the backlog of water can continue to be let out. If this happens, kudos to the Government. Great move to invoke the disaster law. put the Governor in his place and take over the control of Bangkok's waterways.

The mass of water is an immediate concern. Ask anyone who has a few meters of it preventing access to his/her house. The only extra problem high tides create is to block the run off from running off. Even without that block it will still take a month (or two?) to have all excess water drained off and a month to dry up :ermm:

Edited by rubl

Really. Can you let me know what has been done that he wasn't already doing?

The worst is yet to come

What happens when the water is gone

Lots of people lost everything ... their house .. their jobs ...ce the water is gon

You know once the water is gone the media will move on to the next story ..

Who will take care of these people ? Thaksin ? Yingluck ? .... who ?

The mass of water is an immediate concern. Ask anyone who has a few meters of it preventing access to his/her house. The only extra problem high tides create is to block the run off from running off. Even without that block it will still take a month (or two?) to have all excess water drained off and a month to dry up :ermm:

Yes, the mass of water is of concern, though I was referring to the next 24/48 hours, especially for Bangkok residents. Once we get over this period, the next (immediate) concern will of course be the mass of water north of Bangkok.

My heart goes out to those whose houses are currently submerged in water. However, they are probably counting in days and weeks as to when they can return home, rather than in hours. When the high tide is (eventually) behind us, then water can continue to be released (hopefully at a controlled rate, and resulting in 50 cm deep as opposed to 1 m or 2 m deep floods.I could live with 50 cm deep water for a month as opposed to 2 m deep water for a day.

Really. Can you let me know what has been done that he wasn't already doing?

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand (reading the threads here), he was resisting the current measures (ie letting Bangkok be partially flooded in certain areas) and as such, prolonging the suffering of those living further up north.

There may or may not have been political reasons for that. If there were, then he would have brought his party into disrepute. If there weren't, then he may well have overstepped his mark by protecting his constituency at the expense of others.

I understood that by invoking the disaster law, the relevant agencies (irrigation etc) could then finally look at the big picture and implement measures that are best for all, rather than just a select few.

Yes, the mass of water is of concern, though I was referring to the next 24/48 hours, especially for Bangkok residents. Once we get over this period, the next (immediate) concern will of course be the mass of water north of Bangkok.

My heart goes out to those whose houses are currently submerged in water. However, they are probably counting in days and weeks as to when they can return home, rather than in hours. When the high tide is (eventually) behind us, then water can continue to be released (hopefully at a controlled rate, and resulting in 50 cm deep as opposed to 1 m or 2 m deep floods.I could live with 50 cm deep water for a month as opposed to 2 m deep water for a day.

Yeah i understand what your saying but the complete focus now is only on central bangkok and what i mean by that is information. All information about eastern bangkok and the run off has completely stopped. Sure i can ask my thai neighbours but they are in the dark the same as me. Everyone is saying different.

Why is there no information out there just central bkk right now?

Having said that even the central bangkok info contradicts itself time after time.

All govements are the same. Thai, uk, yanks, europeans etc. Care about themselves and not about the people. They should serve us not us serve them.

Yeah i understand what your saying but the complete focus now is only on central bangkok and what i mean by that is information. All information about eastern bangkok and the run off has completely stopped. Sure i can ask my thai neighbours but they are in the dark the same as me. Everyone is saying different.

Why is there no information out there just central bkk right now?

Having said that even the central bangkok info contradicts itself time after time.

All govements are the same. Thai, uk, yanks, europeans etc. Care about themselves and not about the people. They should serve us not us serve them.

I fully agree with you. It would have been good if there is (for all I know, there may already be) a center strictly for dissemination of information, maybe a dedicated TV and/or radio channel in both Thai and English. It seems to me a bit haphazard.

I fully agree with you. It would have been good if there is (for all I know, there may already be) a center strictly for dissemination of information, maybe a dedicated TV and/or radio channel in both Thai and English. It seems to me a bit haphazard.

Very haphazard. Sure it would be good to have some station in english but it wouldnt make no difference as the thais dont even know whats going on around this neck of the woods lol

To much misinformation and not enough true information but i do understand its a very difficult situation lol