Saturday Follies

richardjm65

Here's one for the bemused of Issan - I live in Lahansai where, on Saturdays, we have a market. Some local worthy has decided that it is unseemly for the foreigners that gather at the tables outside the fishing tackle shop (whilst their wives, girlfriends or gender-bender companions squander the purses of the assembled at that market), to drink beer before 5.00pm. Thus, it becomes necessary to wrap bottles and cans in newspaper, thoughtfully provided by the management, the newspaper being secured by a rubber band. This, apparently, satisfies the concerns of the worthy.

At 5.00pm precisely, it becomes acceptable to be seen consuming un-wrapped beer. I've been in Lahansai since 1997. Nobody has been able to explain this and I can only conclude that it is possible that the "worthy" who decreed this piece of local legislation might have been concerned that the sight of johnny foreigner drinking beer before 5.00pm might inflame local passions which could lead to indiscriminate debauchery.

What do you think?

:lol:

That is too funny. I guess the sight of you guys having a quiet drink was driving down the property values. :lol:

In Muang Buriram some bars only have a licence to sell beer from 17:00 to 24:00 so maybe it a BIB thing?

Did this not come about when Thaksin shut gas stations ,stopped beer sales in Garage shops like 7/11 , turned off floodlights and neons all over Thailand. Stopped Lotus selling take homos drink at certain times.All the Lights came on but the BIB lost a cash cow. Is it Law or Myth. ?.

As Albert is almost entirely 5.2% by vol alcohol, do you have to wrap him in newspaper?

Albert drinks Leo. The Leo round here is 5% by vol alcohol. Would the additional .2% suggest he started early on something more nourishing?

So far, nobody has suggested that we wrap him in newspaper, but what an interesting mental picture that conjures up.

Actually, it sounds a little bit like the "2pm to 5pm" no alcohol law that is sometimes being enforced everyday across thailand. "Sometimes" being the pivotal word.

You may be right Ken, but if so it's very selective. I was there again yesterday where the procedure was the same, and so decided to check the next beer outlet about 100 metres away. There was no evidence of wrapped beer there, so I still can't figure it out. Not that it matters much - as long as beer's available I don't mind if it's wrapped or nude - it seems to taste the same!

Actually, it sounds a little bit like the "2pm to 5pm" no alcohol law that is sometimes being enforced everyday across thailand. "Sometimes" being the pivotal word.

You may be right Ken, but if so it's very selective. I was there again yesterday where the procedure was the same, and so decided to check the next beer outlet about 100 metres away. There was no evidence of wrapped beer there, so I still can't figure it out. Not that it matters much - as long as beer's available I don't mind if it's wrapped or nude - it seems to taste the same!

"Sometimes" it will depend on whether the store/vendor is willing to pay the BIB.

"Sometimes" it will depend on whether the store/vendor is willing to pay the BIB.

Or.

As it is fairly accepted that Thais are retroactive, maybe this place has had a run-in with the BiB before and the others, as yet, haven't.