The Racket That Is Soi Watboonkanjanara

hotandhumid

Has anyone taken a stroll down here at night? Up where the parade of shops are there are at least 3 bars with loud music, it's like walking through a music festival. There is one bar or should I say shack where the noise level is unbelievable, just poor Thais shouting/screaming into a microphone. It's like living in Walking street. Obviously nothing will ever be done about it.

" There is one bar or should I say shack where the noise level is unbelievable, just poor Thais shouting/screaming into a microphone."

Karaoke bars. Surely the world's most uncivilised noise, with the possible exception of barking dogs and screaming kids. Of course in most of Thailand you can get all three for the same price. :bah:

" There is one bar or should I say shack where the noise level is unbelievable, just poor Thais shouting/screaming into a microphone."

Karaoke bars. Surely the world's most uncivilised noise, with the possible exception of barking dogs and screaming kids. Of course in most of Thailand you can get all three for the same price. :bah:

It sounds more like a mosque than a karaoke bar. The police have been there before to shut the place but the following night it just starts again.

Oh how I long for the sound of church bells on a Sunday morning drifting across the fields calling us to church, then a pint or two in the local after our righteousness. What do we get? A racket that sounds like a troop of baboons trying to strangle each other and a bottle of fizzy lager. Folk back home don't realise what we sacrifice to be here!

It's: Soi Watboonkanjanaram (aka Soi Watboon, aka Soi Watbun), krap.

Op must be talking about the end of the soi near the beach- before Jomtien 2nd Rd. Thai karaoke joints- about three of 'em; very few farangs. That's "up the block" from 1 friendly farang bar, called Your Bar (mixed drinks @ 50 baht). Up the soi, after crossing Jomtien 2nd Rd. towards Sukhumvit, about 1/2 kilometer from there, just before and around the (very good) local market, and opposite Majestic Condominium are several good bars- especially the popular Market Bar (mixed drinks @ 55 baht & Live band often) & Bar Phoenix (serve authentic English food) and many small Thai restaurants (cheap!!)... Soi Watboon's a great place, krap !

B)