Tesco Chaweng Shutting Down?

Great...when is Waitrose moving in?.....time to dust off the credit cards.....

In all seriousness though I don't believe it.

Samui could do with an Asda, they have some good deals on at the moment...

Anyway, is it Tesco opening a shopping Centre, or will it be like a Central? .. would make sense to turn into a central Plaza type place, they have the space

Since those rumours of Big C closing, business there seems to have picked up, certainly more vendors in the common areas... Not that I use Big C very much...

It would be very surprising to see The Chawang Tesco close, surely the busiest store on the island? I cannot see the Lamai store taking up the slack... and increase in traffic headed to Lamai would be too much!

It might even make Soi 1 from Maenam too busy, my preferred route to Lamai, to beat the traffic ... (Except for two spots on that road which are still a little rough....very small sections, it's a good road... in daylight ....)

Lamai Tesco store is getting quite well stocked now, except for frozen foods and vegetables...

but.... no more Fruit and Nut Bars! :D

Isn't there going to be a new Tesco (Express, or whatever they call it) in Maenam? Would be odd to close the main one if this is true?

They tried to put on mini Tesco in Maenam two or three years ago, it meet with great protest and idea abandoned... (corner of Soi 5, was the plan.)

As for Chawang Tesco, quite well stocked today, even frozen food section full of stuff, whereas Lamai had none yesterday... Even seemed to be some new items... although veggies still in short supply... oh and noticed beer shelves were quite empty too... guess some people using beer instead of water? :bah::D

No Fruit and Nut bars or dark chocolate either! ;)

Frankly, some how I think this is a bunch of "BS" floating around.... :o:D

Since those rumours of Big C closing, business there seems to have picked up, certainly more vendors in the common areas... Not that I use Big C very much...

It would be very surprising to see The Chawang Tesco close, surely the busiest store on the island? I cannot see the Lamai store taking up the slack... and increase in traffic headed to Lamai would be too much!

It might even make Soi 1 from Maenam too busy, my preferred route to Lamai, to beat the traffic ... (Except for two spots on that road which are still a little rough....very small sections, it's a good road... in daylight ....)

Lamai Tesco store is getting quite well stocked now, except for frozen foods and vegetables...

but.... no more Fruit and Nut Bars! :D

Easy to get a park at Big C!

Cannot believe this is even remotely true.

After Tesco opened (and before the expansion) the Chaweng store had the unbelievable record of the highest sales per square metre of any Tesco store in Thailand. That was information I received at the time from one of the Bangkok Farang semior managers. That of course prompted the expansion. Even with todays logistical problems they are doing pretty well so there is no reason why the would even consider closing down. Another one if these typical nonsense island rumours.