Non O Marriage - Visa, Extension, Confusion

So I am considering this route to stay in Thailand,

I have read as far back in this forum as I can and after a while it just gets extremely confusing, so I was wondering if any of you could help me out.

A non-imm O visa on the basis of marriage can be multiple or single entry. Now this means that you can either get 90 days or multiple entries of 90 days. I understand all this.

The question is, how does one turn this into a 1 year visa which only needs to be renewed once a year? Is this even possible?

I see people talking about extensions and things but this is unclear to me. In Thailand it seems you need 400,000 in the bank and a range of other documents. If you have these requirements does this mean you can get a 1 year extension or is it only another 90 day extension?

Also what is the difference between a non-O and a non-O-A

Obviously it seems better to apply from outside of Thailand for these things. This whole visa thing here - as you all will agree - seems extremely complicated!

Thanks

The difference bewteen a non-O and a O-A visa is that the O-A visa is specifically for retirement and allows you to stay for 1 year instead of 90 days at a time.

You can not get a visa in Thailand, you can get a 1 year extension of stay, which you can rebew again each year as long as you qualify. You would not have to leave the country at any time.

The requirement is of course that you are marreid to a Thai national or are the legal father of a Thai child, live togehter, and can show 400,000 baht in a Thai bankaccount for at least 2 months OR have an income of 40,000 baht a month (can be from abroad).

All other documents are more or less to proof that you are indeed married. it is a lot of work, but should be easy to provide.

If you are over 50 you could get an extension of stay based on retirement, if you can show 800,000 baht in a bank account in Thailand OR an income of 65,000 baht OR a combinaiton of yearly income and bankaccount totaling 800,000. This extension gives the same rights and is much less paperwork.

O-A is only available in your home country and is for retirement.

O is for other (marriage, children and other reasons).

If you want to get an extension you need to qualify, the money is 400,000baht in the bank or a monthly income of 40,000baht, in your bank account not a joint one.

You go to your local immigration office with piles of paperwork, they will issue you a 2 or 3 month initial extension, whilst they wait for the result from Bangkok (as this is where they send everything), you report back on the date stamped on the extension and will normally receive a 1yr extension to your visa, every 90days you have to go back to your local Immigration office to report your address.

The difference bewteen a non-O and a O-A visa is that the O-A visa is specifically for retirement and allows you to stay for 1 year instead of 90 days at a time.

You can not get a visa in Thailand, you can get a 1 year extension of stay, which you can rebew again each year as long as you qualify. You would not have to leave the country at any time.

The requirement is of course that you are marreid to a Thai national or are the legal father of a Thai child, live togehter, and can show 400,000 baht in a Thai bankaccount for at least 2 months OR have an income of 40,000 baht a month (can be from abroad).

All other documents are more or less to proof that you are indeed married. it is a lot of work, but should be easy to provide.

If you are over 50 you could get an extension of stay based on retirement, if you can show 800,000 baht in a bank account in Thailand OR an income of 65,000 baht OR a combinaiton of yearly income and bankaccount totaling 800,000. This extension gives the same rights and is much less paperwork.

right, thanks for the reply. No not over 50, still another 20+ years to go before I'll be eligible for that.

Do you have to show that you have 400,000 bank balance each year or is it just for the initial extension of stay?

Finally, where can I find a list of all the required documents to apply for this? Are they available online or is this all just better done through a law firm?

400,000 is a lot of money for me - for people who cannot show this, what do they usually do? Go the 1 year multiple entry Savannaket route?

Thanks again man,

The requirement is 400k in account in Thailand for two months prior to application each year or 40k per month income proof. Multi entry non immigrant O is normal for those unable to obtain extension (and any entry could be extend for one year if funds become available). Only Savannakhet seems to issue without any financials but KL has set 100k in bank requirement that will always get the multi - most probably obtain during a visit to home country however. There is also a 60 day extension available from any entry for those married. The expectation is a male will be taking wife to there home country. If foreigner is female there is no financial requirement for extension of stay for her.

Ask local office what paperwork they require. Basically it is copies of passport/arrival card/her id/home register/marriage certificate and ledger entry and financials plus photos/map/residence proof type things.

Is it true that if you have a multiple non-O based on marriage, you can register at the nearest immigration to the wife's hometown and report there every 90 days instead of the leaving the country for extensions?

Edited by engrin

No that is not true. Visa only allows a 90 day stay per entry and you must exit to obtain a new stay. If you can financially qualify for one year extension of stay that could be obtained during the last 30 days of any entry and after than would only require reporting your address every 90 days (if you do not leave country) to immigration.

Is it true that if you have a multiple non-O based on marriage, you can register at the nearest immigration to the wife's hometown and report there every 90 days instead of the leaving the country for extensions?

You would not be leaving the country for an extension. You are required to leave every 90 days as part of the conditions for having the visa.

I understand your confusion - it took me ages to get to grips with terminology. Once you do it is quite straight-forward (there are always complicated exceptions).

Think - VISA is the 12 month permit that allows you entry into the Kingdom. It is stamped on a full page of your passport and you get it in your home country.

Think - EXTENSION is the 12 month extension of that visa that allows you to stay full time, subject to 90 day reporting.

Yes, you have to show the 400,000 Baht bank balance, seasoned for 2 months (or 40,000 Baht income) at every renewal.

You have suggested that may be difficult for you. In which case the Non-Imm 'O' is favourite with you doing border runs every 90 days. Timing your visa run or exit carefully you can get 15 months out of a 12 month visa.

Your own circumstances will dictate what is best for you.

From an older ThaiVisa post:-

Non-Imm O extension based on marriage with a Thai National

List of documents for extension Thai spouse visa

Note: 2 copies of each item are required.

1. Application form T.M. 7 with one photograph size 4x6 cm. and Visa Fee 1900.-Baht
  2. Copy of passport ( with certified true copy )
  3. Required documentation for applying visa in case of
    • For supporting Thai wife
    1. Marriage Certificate
    2. Child's birth certificate (if any)
    3. Wife’s house registration
    4. Wife’s identity card

• In the case of Working
    1. A copy of work permit or receiving work permit form ( WP.2 )
    2. Letter from the applicant’s company to certify salary that the applicant receives not less than 40,000 baht per month (identifier position and salary) or 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account, these funds must have been in the account for a minimum term of 2 months.
    3. Personal Corporation income Tax (PND.1) in latest 3 months and personal income tax for previous year with receipt
    4. Recording interviewing the husband and wife for confirming status of husband and wife
    5. House’s map
    6. Other such as Registration Company
    7. Picture of house and family

Edited by cardholder

The requirement is 400k in account in Thailand for two months prior to application each year or 40k per month income proof. Multi entry non immigrant O is normal for those unable to obtain extension (and any entry could be extend for one year if funds become available). Only Savannakhet seems to issue without any financials but KL has set 100k in bank requirement that will always get the multi - most probably obtain during a visit to home country however. There is also a 60 day extension available from any entry for those married. The expectation is a male will be taking wife to there home country. If foreigner is female there is no financial requirement for extension of stay for her.

Ask local office what paperwork they require. Basically it is copies of passport/arrival card/her id/home register/marriage certificate and ledger entry and financials plus photos/map/residence proof type things.

Funny enough, was JUST on the phone with the Consulate in Savannakhet today (this afternoon). My wife called them to double check on any requirements for the Multi Non O visa. They told her that they require proof of 200,00 Baht in the bank (bank book with latest entry seems fine). Other than that, no new requirements from other reports. Will be there on the 6th of November and do the visa on the 7th. One day turn around they say.