All Bangkok Districts To Be Flooded If Klong Sam Wa's Sluice Gate Further Opened: Deputy Governor

webfact

All Bangkok districts to be flooded if Klong Sam Wa's sluice gate further opened: deputy governor

The Nation

Deputy Bangkok Governor Thirachon Manopaipibul said Tuesday that if the sluice gate of Klong Samwa is lifted to be one metre wide as demanded by angry local residents, all Bangkok could be flooded.

Thirachon explained that the further draining of floodwater from Klong Sam Wan Canal into Saen Saeb Canal would cause the floodwater to overflow into roadside dishes and reach the inner Bangkok behind major flood embankments.

"If the government cannot control the protesters and if we are not cool down, the earlier announcement that 20 districts will be safe will have to be reevaluated. The situation will worse and all districts will be flooded," the deputy governor said.

"We will have to protect the area inside the embankments, that were initiated by His Majesty. If we can drain the water to Tha Chin, Chao Phraya and Bang Pakong, [inner] Bangkok will be safe."

He said the further opening of sluice gate to one-metre wide would also cause the Bang Chan industrial estate to be flooded.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-01

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dep Bkk Gov: 19 Districts Now at Risk of Flooding After Sam Wa Floodgate Forced Open

Deputy Bangkok Governor Teerachon Manomaipipul says the 19 districts in Bangkok earlier believed to be able to escape the floods in the city are now at risk again after the locals near Sam Wa Canal forced the government to open the Sam Wa floodgate.

The deputy Bangkok governor earlier said 19 districts in Bangkok are 80 percent safe from flooding. These districts include Bang Kun Tien, Bang Bon, Tung Krue, Ratchaburana, Chom Thong, Pasicharoen, Wattana, Din Daeng, Sathon, Ratchathewi, Phayathai, Pathumwan, Pom Prap, Suan Luang, Prawes, Huay Kwang, Wang Thonglang, Bangsue and Bangkok Noi.

The 3 at risk areas are communities located along San Saeb Canal in Saphan Soong, Bangkapi and Bung Kum.

According to the deputy Bangkok governor; 11 riverside communities are at risk of flooding when the tide rises. These include Dusit, Phra Nakhon, Sampan Tawong, Bangrak, Bang Kor Laem, Yannawa, Klongtoey, Phra Kanong, Klongsarn, Bangkok Yai and Bangna.

Five areas that will face serious flooding are Klong Samwa, Minburi, Lad Krabang, Nong Jok and Bangkae. Seriously affected areas also include Don Muang, Bang Plad, Sai Mai, Taweewattana, Lak Si, Bang Kaen and Talingchan.

However, his optimism dimmed after approximatley 1,000 local near Sam wa Canal gathered to demand the government open the floodgate there. Deputy governor Teerachon now says he's no longer confident those 19 mentioned districts will remain safe from floods. He warned due to the interconnected nature of the underground sewage and drainage pipes in Bangkok, more water flowing in through Sam Wa into San Saeb Canal may cause flooding in areas not connected to districts that have already seen flooding.

For details on areas and roads affected by the floods go here

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-01

footer_n.gif

Looking at the above statement one is indeed led to wonder who will control this situation . B.M.A. or F.R.O.C.. police or military, this could be a rather nasty powder keg as the fuse is burning faster all the time, who or what will stop the fuse burning or are we in for a big explosion ? One can only but hope the powder gets wet and the fuse fizzles out.

powderkeg.gif

Edited by siampolee

Thanks,

now i understand more of the problem. Wuite logical that they want that opened more. It drains through BKK straight in the sea. Its madness blocking North to South connections and expecting the locals to endure more hardship.

Can anyone point this floodgate out on a map ? I'm looking for it.

Maybe ... http://maps.google.c...Sam+Wa&t=m&z=12

Thanks,

now i understand more of the problem. Wuite logical that they want that opened more. It drains through BKK straight in the sea. Its madness blocking North to South connections and expecting the locals to endure more hardship.

I agree but.......lots of those people get their money from selling goods in bangkok or their kids working there and sending home money. Cant have it both ways or you can, have your house flooded either way, but if Bangkok dry then some income too help

It might GO through Bangkok straight to the sea, but how much will it flood on the way ... especially as it goes past Suvarnabhumi and not far from the Lam Lukka industrial estate.

It might GO through Bangkok straight to the sea, but how much will it flood on the way ... especially as it goes past Suvarnabhumi and not far from the Lam Lukka industrial estate.

Its a canal going straight to the sea.... They are not utilizing it keeping many people flooded deeper and longer. True.. there is a risk.. but id say take it. But that is because i am living flooded (this canal wont affect me)

With Bangkok making up around 40% of the GDP of Thailand, it's understandable they're trying to protect it. The damage is already done in the surrounding areas, does it really have to get even worse? It's terrible for the locals who are now up to their waste in water, but forcing more of Bangkok to flood will not lessen their damage, and will cripple the Thai economy even further.

Besides that, it's pretty insane that the government is allowing local people to affect their plans so much. Normally if people would forcibly try to do major damage to a major city like Bangkok they'd be branded terrorists.... Someone needs to take charge and look at the bigger picture, then enforce the plan for the greater good of the country. If the local police can't handle it, have the army protect the sluice gates and dams....

Its a canal going straight to the sea.... They are not utilizing it keeping many people flooded deeper and longer. True.. there is a risk.. but id say take it. But that is because i am living flooded (this canal wont affect me)

They are utilising it. The locals just want to "utilise" it more.

Do you think they should risk flooding the main airport?

I am fully in agreement with these people, why should they endure more days of flooding just to keep a few places dry! Here in Don Muang I as still experiencing rising water in my house, I will be unable to work today and will lose income because of it, why should I have a few more days of this if it can be lessened?

While I may not agree with the actions of these people in forcing open flood gates and tearing down barriers to try and get some relief from the flooding in their area, I can fully understand their anger and frustration.

These people are tired of the property, their houses and their lives being destroyed just save precious Bangkok year after year. How would you feel if your moo ban was flooded year in and year out just to so the one next to you could be saved? If you can imagine that, then you can understand these people and their actions.

While Yingluck & Company can be, and should be, blamed for the mismanagement of this situation, they can't be blamed for the flood itself. And no one can convince me that any other government could/would do a better job.

For to many years the rich and powerful, which means about .05% of the population, have been allowed to destroy what is, supposedly, protected forest areas to build their mansions and resorts, thereby destroying the ecological balance that Mother Nature provided. For too many years these same people have built, or have allowed to be built, factories, housing and condo projects, and other structures in low lying areas that block the natural flow of water, with zero forethought of what might happen. For too many years the experts, both Thai and foreign, have done studies, made recommendations, and issued serious warnings about what could/would happen, but since there was no "graft" or "corruption" money in it for anyone, they were ignored.

If anyone is to blame for this situation it is EVERY member of EVERY government for the past 50+ years since the last flood for not doing what was necessary to prevent it from happening again.

The one good thing from this is now maybe, just maybe, they will listen to the experts and finally do what needs to be done for ALL of Thailand, and not just Bangkok. We can only hope.

Edited by Just1Voice

is this an attempt by the government to pass the blame onto the local people for the flooding???

Just my view ! good luck Bangers and all the people living in and around there, it sounds like everyone's getting caught up in the "political war' please be safe !

Kevin

The longer the gates are kept shut the worse the division. This is a divided country and BKK is a very divided place as someone else pointed out too. The political divide worsens the flood water management problem and is another example of why the political divide needs quick resolution. It is making everything in the country more difficult to manage

inner Bangkok dry, you get relief , food, shelter and donation......inner Bangkok wet you get nothing because now people have to worry for themself, simple as that.

Donations?!!! You're dreaming. Thai people have no concept of charity! They could watch you die in the street.... Just look how wealth is distributed in a RICH country like Thailand. How many humanitarian THAI organizations do you know of?

The longer the gates are kept shut the worse the division. This is a divided country and BKK is a very divided place as someone else pointed out too. The political divide worsens the flood water management problem and is another example of why the political divide needs quick resolution. It is making everything in the country more difficult to manage

Except these gates have NOT been kept shut.

Oddly, only one official is talking about the water mass from Sukothai, estimated at nearly the mass we are seeing now from Ayuddayah, according to satellite imagery and available information from sources exterior to Thailand, being NOAA and NASA satellites. We were told there would be no flooding in Bangbon, but see water creeping our way east from Mahidol University region and on nearby roads leading from here to there. Yesterday, we saw flooding from Khlong Kwan near the intersection of Bangbon 3 and Petkasem, ankle deep, and that was before the above-mentioned gate opened and before the second high tide yesterday (2:30 PM). His quote is "The water (from Sukhothai) is flowing down to the western zone without any flood barrier." He believed that the house of Deputy Premier Chalerm Yoobamrung, which is in Bang Bon, would be flooded as well." This is from an unmentionable online newspaper.

Seems both political parties are setting up scenarios for the blame game, whereas scientists are saying it's a natural disaster that will ease in central and eastern Bankok, but worsen in areas west of the central city economic/governmental hub.

From posts I am reading here, many people are choosing sides in the blame game already, with very few defections of viewpoint no matter what information they read, meaning those that support one side are geared up to blame the other no matter what, and most such posts are conveniently ignoring incorrect information from their chosen side altogether. Essentially, it means stalemate in perpetuity, aggravated by visiting people -- who are not citizens -- taking sides like this country's political landscape is a cricket match in which most have already placed their bets with the coin of self-interest.

In short, guess who taught the opposition and current government how to spin, lie, misinform and divert attention? ---we did, and this western education was thorough for all involved, excepting the voters.

Can anyone point this floodgate out on a map ? I'm looking for it.

Maybe ... http://maps.google.c...Sam+Wa&t=m&z=12

Thanks,

Edited by FangFerang

I am fully in agreement with these people, why should they endure more days of flooding just to keep a few places dry! Here in Don Muang I as still experiencing rising water in my house, I will be unable to work today and will lose income because of it, why should I have a few more days of this if it can be lessened?

Because if the inner centre of Bangkok will be flooded, everything will be much more difficult to organize, communication, economy, helping other people, everything will just collapse.

Edited by thaiphoon
Flame removed.

Normally if people would forcibly try to do major damage to a major city like Bangkok they'd be branded terrorists....

The Reds who damaged Bkk in Spring '09 and Spring '10 were terrorists in every sense of the word (remember commandeering LP gas truck? .....and raiding hospital?). Yet Thais like them, and voted their leaders in to political power positions months later. The message: It's ok to be a Thai terrorist, particularly if it relates to damaging Bkk.

Thanks,

Quite logical, if one accepts not to get any help or donations from that few million people who'll need to fix their own properties first.

:D You put a smile on my face. Donations.. all things here in my flooded moo bahn have been from the royals. Also once the water is gone we can fend for ourselfs. That is much better as getting a handout.

Hind sight is 20/20 but had the government had called in experts and had they opened the flood gates from the beginning all wouldn't be in the situation they are now. You don't wait to open the flood gates when everything is already flooded north of you when the water has to flow south.

The short sightedness of many on this forum amazes me. If Bangkok floods, the situation will only get worse. Right now they're already slashing the economic growth of the country by several percentage points. With Bangkok making up almost half of the countries GDP, guess what will happen to the economy if the city floods for several weeks? Companies shut down, economy will shrink, more people will lose their jobs (lots of them not living in Bangkok, only working there...). And why? Because others want another "quick fix" to their own problems.

I say again, I feel incredibly sorry for those who have lost their homes, everything they had, and are now desperately waiting for the water to drain, but just putting that same water on your neighbor's porch is not going to fix this problem for the country as a whole. The individual needs will have to be set aside for the good of the country, difficult as that may be.

Just to clarify, I am not trying to choose sides here on a political basis. This is just common sense, try to limit the damage to those areas already hit. Using this disaster for political gain is a very sad state of affairs, which just goes to show how low the political climate in this country has sunk.

Because if the inner centre of Bangkok will be flooded, everything will be much more difficult to organize, communication, economy, helping other people, everything will just collapse.

<Flame removed>

Everything here in the suburbs of BKK is organised by us.. not by outsiders. You are over estimating how much BKK is helping. Just look at all the wasted supplies at don muang. We arranged a truck and boats.. we buy food as a unit.

Edited by thaiphoon

In short, guess who taught the opposition and current government how to spin, lie, misinform and divert attention? ---we did, and this western education was thorough for all involved, excepting the voters.

Self delusion and denial along with face saving has and is still a prevailing national trait.

No one from the West taught the Thai's these traits Never been colonised by the West so there is little or no chance of Western taint coming into the local mindset.

Perchance there was and is a little more influence from near friends who were here for a year or two in the past as " guests" who are now here as investors and lately as "advisers" concerning flood problems. whistling.gif

Edited by siampolee

Hind sight is 20/20 but had the government had called in experts and had they opened the flood gates from the beginning all wouldn't be in the situation they are now. You don't wait to open the flood gates when everything is already flooded north of you when the water has to flow south.

"all wouldn't be in the situation they are now"

ALL would be in a worse situation.

I sympathise with you but why do you want to inflict misery on others just to help you a little? Your thinking is seriously flawed.