Buying New From Dealer - Time Needed To Process Paperwork

Guest StephenB

Guest StephenB

Does anybody know if lets say I walk into the Kawisaki dealer on Rama 9 with money, non-Imm visa, drivers licence, embassy residence paperwork in hand - how long it would take until I can drive off. Does tea money assist a for a same day transaction to get insurance, plates and book. I plan to drive the bike home, just don't want to spend a few days in Bangkok waiting for Land Transport to issue book or whatever...

Hey mate I just bought a ksr so not exactly a big bike but good fun around the village, this was bought in Isaan so process may be different in Bangkok, anyways from paying it took maybe 20 - 30 mins to sort paperwork etc although no plate or book as this is supplied from the transport ministry not the bike dealer and was told it will be delivered to my house in a few weeks, I did get an official document/paper from the dealer confirming that the bike is all legal that I need to keep on my person whilst out riding just in case I get pulled until the plate/book etc arrives... This is my first proper purchase if you like since being in Thailand and the girlfriends dad done most of the talking with the girlfriend translating for me... All in all was an easy process and all seems quite ligit... But as I said process may be different in bkk... Hope this helps and I'm sure someone with more experience than me will shout up also with some advice.....

Cheers

Rudi

Kawasaki Rama 9 no longer sells bikes- they are a showroom and do service, but if you want to purchase a Kawasaki Big Bike in Bangkok you'll need to go to one of the new Bangkok dealers:

Buying a bike is pretty simply, assuming you have a valid passport and work permit or address verification letter. Just fill out the paperwork, pay, and ride.

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Tony

Guest StephenB

20-30 min sound great and then just keep the paperwork until book arrives. I suppose insurance is part of the paperwork you get at the dealer?

Thanks Tony for the links.

Yep, the dealer will process the registration papers and let you know when the plate and green book arrive. If you're from out of town, you can ask them to mail it to you. (I've done it before.)

The paperwork they give you with the bike will keep you out of strife with the BiB and provide the initial insurance cover info. The insurer will send you the final policy document in the mail a few weeks later. You can ride without a plate for up to 30 days. One of mine took more than two months to arrive, due to a paperwork problem, and I was stopped a couple of times after the 30 days... Just said I bought it "about a month ago" and paid my tea money... No problems.

Total time in dealer, assuming he has the bike in stock, is maybe an hour... Most of that will be the time to wipe the bike over and check it for pre delivery. (assuming your paperwork is fine.)

As Tony said, Rama 9 no longer sell bikes, so you will need to go to one of their dealers.

Cheers.

just got my new KLX250S from Motoaholic in Thunburi last Friday, took me less then an hour, just brought cash, letter from embassy, passport that's it. Got also a First Class insurance for 7.5k from them so no need to find another insurance. Bike is insured for around 80% for complete loss, in case of damage, insurance will pay for exchange of parts, deductable is 5k.