Whole Bangkok At Risk Of Flooding After Opening Of Key Sluice Gate

webfact

Fully agree. Better 9 Million wet feet for 10 Days, than rotten water for3 Million Million for Months. Makes a huge difference for house struktures and health. But there is still a big chance for the flood to creap into inner Bangkokwhatever is done. Who knows wether them dikes are holding on. It is by far not over.

What makes you think that they will only be wet for 10 days if Bangkok is flooded? Either the ones in Bangkok or the ones up river?

When Yingluck said a week or two ago that Bangkok was going to be under a metre of water, she said that it would be like that for 4-6 weeks.

I think it's really important to spread the suffering to the greatest extent possible if they hope to get their hands on that 900 Billion before the next coup.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Downtown Bangkok won't stop if flooded. In the not too distant past, parts of the inner city was flooded regularly and people still got to work. What will be really damaging to the economy is if the central plains are under water for months, and that may well happen since much of the water is now in areas where it can't be controlled. Hundreds of thousands will be out of work, many of them permanently since industries will go elsewhere. There will be a shortage of food plus an increase in food prices that many people simply can't afford. There are already small food production businesses in areas that are not affected by the flood directly that are forced out of business due to high prices and/or scarcity of produce.

After a visit to flooded districts yesterday, the picture doesn't look very promising. Water in areas without natural runoffs will probably suffer from flooding and the after effects well into the new year. It's very democratic though; farmers and the middle class are flooded equally high :rolleyes:

The "Bottom Line" is that for the past 50+ years since the last major flood, nothing has been done to prepare for another one. The "protect BKK" mentality is now coming back to bite them where they sit. There have been at least 2 separate Dutch experts brought in who did studies and made recommendations, and gave warnings of what would happen. They were ignored. There have been Thai experts who have done the same. Also ignored. Why? Maybe because the politicians couldn't figure out how to work in the graft & corruption they always need to get anything done. And let's face it, the attitude of far to many in BKK think and feel that BKK actually IS Thailand, and the provinces are "just there" and don't really mean anything. Until this mentality changes, things will continue to get worse, not better. As has been pointed out in more than one article of various news media, this flood is causing an even bigger rift between the rich & poor, and further dividing the country.

In their emotional state many in the areas outside of BKK feel that it is being protected to protect the rich, and don't always stop to consider how many people in BKK are from the provinces but just WORKING in BKK to help support their families. Their "tunnel vision" only focuses on the politicians, the rich and elite, and that is where their anger is directed, not realizing that it will also have a serious effect on the millions of poor who live/work there as well.

As I've stated before in other posts, there could be something good come from this if it finally serves as a "wake up call" for the government to finally bring in the experts, both Thai & foreign, and this time actually listen to them, then do what is needed to be done for ALL of Thailand to try and prevent this from happening again. But as I said in the beginning, no government for the past 50+ years has bothered to do it, so I don't hold out much hope this one will be any different. Which means it WILL happen again, and possibly a lot sooner than they expect with the already noted climate changes that are taking place world wide. All we can do is hope someone finally flips the switch that turns on the lights in the minds of those who have the power and ability to do something, and get them out of the dark.

The "Bottom Line" is that for the past 50+ years since the last major flood, nothing has been done to prepare for another one. The "protect BKK" mentality is now coming back to bite them where they sit. There have been at least 2 separate Dutch experts brought in who did studies and made recommendations, and gave warnings of what would happen. They were ignored. There have been Thai experts who have done the same. Also ignored. Why? Maybe because the politicians couldn't figure out how to work in the graft & corruption they always need to get anything done. And let's face it, the attitude of far to many in BKK think and feel that BKK actually IS Thailand, and the provinces are "just there" and don't really mean anything. Until this mentality changes, things will continue to get worse, not better. As has been pointed out in more than one article of various news media, this flood is causing an even bigger rift between the rich & poor, and further dividing the country.

In their emotional state many in the areas outside of BKK feel that it is being protected to protect the rich, and don't always stop to consider how many people in BKK are from the provinces but just WORKING in BKK to help support their families. Their "tunnel vision" only focuses on the politicians, the rich and elite, and that is where their anger is directed, not realizing that it will also have a serious effect on the millions of poor who live/work there as well.

As I've stated before in other posts, there could be something good come from this if it finally serves as a "wake up call" for the government to finally bring in the experts, both Thai & foreign, and this time actually listen to them, then do what is needed to be done for ALL of Thailand to try and prevent this from happening again. But as I said in the beginning, no government for the past 50+ years has bothered to do it, so I don't hold out much hope this one will be any different. Which means it WILL happen again, and possibly a lot sooner than they expect with the already noted climate changes that are taking place world wide. All we can do is hope someone finally flips the switch that turns on the lights in the minds of those who have the power and ability to do something, and get them out of the dark.

No government in the past 50 years has bothered to enhance flood measures? Every passing year brings greater capacity to control flooding. What hasn't changed is human stupidity and corruptibility. It's getting worse if anything.

Thank you for this informations, I agree 100%, they do same than all the time, block water and flooding all around BKK.

I think it's political fight between yellow BKK and Rest-Thailand, the old rabbit hit the young chicken...

Sukumbhand have the most responsibillity for the disaster we have.

Spirit47 - Clearly you are frustrated but you frustration is clouding your judgement. If Bangkok goes under YOUR COUNTRY is broken and your house and community will still be flooded. I think you need to look at the Japanese and their fortitude in dealing with the tsunami or even the Brits during the Blitz. Unless you pull together as a people and stop looking with jealous eyes at your brothers and sisters your suffering will continue.

In other words if your house was dry and your fellow Thais were trying to flood it by tearing down barriers to flood your house, how would you feel towards your Thai brothers and sisters who were tearing down the barriers? Would you offer them help or would you fight them?

And you are wrong with your assertion of the Governor - The buck stops at Yinglucks door. She is the PM it is her responsibility to lead, co-ordinate and work with the relevant agencies to produce a clear plan of action in which all parties understand their roles. If these things do not happen it is her fault. And remember this ultimately boils down to the people who made the judgement and voted her in as the person in the whole country with the qualities best suited to lead Thailand. Remember that next time you put your cross in the box when you vote. Does this person have the qualities and experiences required to led my great country? As opposed to what will we be given for free.

P.S. i live in Minburi

Sorry but what a crock of the brown stuff when you cite experience in dealing with this flood which is the worst for fifty years and that you should have voted those people in, there is no politician in power that experienced the floods fifty yrs ago and last year when there was a drought, how was that handled, yes I know, just wonderful by the then incumbent, for christs sake stop putting politics into this and encourage the people to try and pull together for the good of the country.

Your basic approach is laudable and your basic reasoning is right on target. We must all work together without reference to politics not only to handle this flood, but all the other massive problems that this country faces. You only slipped a little bit when you got pulled into comparing a previous government run by the present opposition to the government presently in power. That, my friend, was a political statement. Worse yet, it was also totally irrelevant. Who cares whether government A was better or worse than government B? We want and deserve a government better than either. The choice should not be between Tweedle Dee Dee and Tweedle Dee Dum. If you think the old government was bad and the new government is bad, then perhpas you should be looking for a third choice.

So yes, we need to pull together, and yes, we must all learn from our politicians' performances (of ALL parties) and as soon as there is another opportunity, we must choose perhaps a little bit more carefully and wisely to whom we'll give the keys to the gates.

It's probably not something that is measurable.

There was a tweet yesterday saying that the water level behind the gate was 50cm higher, which was due to the high tides. If the levels go lower, it will also be mainly from the lower tides.

That's sort of the point, I'd think. If they break open the sluice gate and water remains the same height, or varies back and forth around the same height, then even accounting for the variance due to all the inputs in the system you'd have to assume that at absolute best it didn't improve the situation. On the other hand, you could more easily measure whether other communities were flooded because of it in many cases. I think the specific grievances would be the easiest to test, like the people who tore down the embankment because the school they were sheltering in was under a meter and a half of water (or however much), Go back and check it once a day, see if it's still under water or less under water or what. Obviously you can't measure what would have happened absent the change and there are a lot of variables, but you can at least measure what did happen.

Its a very hard thing to measure as it also depends on the water flow 'into' the community that is being flooded behind the gates.. This kind of detailed data is hard to access.

What is certain tho, is if your in a flooded area, and water is not being allowed to leave it as fast as possible, your flooding is being made worse, either for longer duration or higher flood levels, the restriction on water leaving makes that obvious.

Thats without getting into the rights and wrongs of choosing who is flooded or what areas have higher or lesser importance. Of course protecting business and infrastructure is important, of course hard moral choices have to be made, to put pain in some areas to save pain in others, but the question is who has the right to make those choices, and on what variables are they calculated.

The bottom line is a bunch of people who are making decisions are usually employed enriching themselves, I know nothing about flood control and from what I have seen and read neither do these clowns.

Flooding Bangkok is not going to help anyone. Over 60% of Thailand's financial income is created in Bangkok. Flood Bangkok and you will have several million more poor people and no tourist income for a long time to come. Sometimes you have to make hard decisions, that's life. Protect your wealth then you will have monies to help those poor souls who have suffered and yes I have already been flooded but I still say protect your capital.

I just noticed that my wife is outside watering the garden, as it is very dry.

We live in Korat. If industry want to relocate to a stable region with good education facilities and a willing workforce I'm sure our community would be very welcoming.

Mmmmmm.....wasn't that the thinking of the previous government with the plan for high speed trains....now this current government has put it on the back burner and limited the area the network is to cover whilst they work out the skim money....oh well :whistling:

It's been proven time and time again that this government is utterly incompetent - but they'll probably keep winning elections so whatever...

But bowing to the mob? Seriously? Sod where most of the revenue for the entire country is generated, let's wreck it all because a few people are angry.

Utterly pathetic. What a sham. Raise your kids here at your peril.

I totally agree with your comments about bowing to mob rule. Open the gates or close the gates, but don't do it because you're afraid of a mob.

I also love your signature about Asian political studies and the golden rule. I'm just wondering if you might feel that the new Asian golden rule is "The one with the gold, rules"?

It's probably not something that is measurable.

There was a tweet yesterday saying that the water level behind the gate was 50cm higher, which was due to the high tides. If the levels go lower, it will also be mainly from the lower tides.

That's sort of the point, I'd think. If they break open the sluice gate and water remains the same height, or varies back and forth around the same height, then even accounting for the variance due to all the inputs in the system you'd have to assume that at absolute best it didn't improve the situation. On the other hand, you could more easily measure whether other communities were flooded because of it in many cases. I think the specific grievances would be the easiest to test, like the people who tore down the embankment because the school they were sheltering in was under a meter and a half of water (or however much), Go back and check it once a day, see if it's still under water or less under water or what. Obviously you can't measure what would have happened absent the change and there are a lot of variables, but you can at least measure what did happen.

Its a very hard thing to measure as it also depends on the water flow 'into' the community that is being flooded behind the gates.. This kind of detailed data is hard to access.

What is certain tho, is if your in a flooded area, and water is not being allowed to leave it as fast as possible, your flooding is being made worse, either for longer duration or higher flood levels, the restriction on water leaving makes that obvious.

Thats without getting into the rights and wrongs of choosing who is flooded or what areas have higher or lesser importance. Of course protecting business and infrastructure is important, of course hard moral choices have to be made, to put pain in some areas to save pain in others, but the question is who has the right to make those choices, and on what variables are they calculated.

The bottom line is a bunch of people who are making decisions are usually employed enriching themselves, I know nothing about flood control and from what I have seen and read neither do these clowns.

......the words of the hit song of a few years back just hit home with a powerful impact.......who was it Judy Collins........." ...send in the clowns....... don't bother ..... they're here " :(

Flooding Bangkok is not going to help anyone. Over 60% of Thailand's financial income is created in Bangkok. Flood Bangkok and you will have several million more poor people and no tourist income for a long time to come. Sometimes you have to make hard decisions, that's life. Protect your wealth then you will have monies to help those poor souls who have suffered and yes I have already been flooded but I still say protect your capital.

Capitol or Capital ????? of both

Nice argument about the gate. Meanwhile, the run off water is happily making it's way south along Vibhabdi road getting a little closer to inner Bangkok everyday. Is there a plan to stop that somewhere?

The klongs will eventually drain off some of that water ... as long as no other embankments or gates are opened.

Don Mueang is a good example with what would happen if everything was opened to flood Bangkok. The airport has been flooded for about a week now with more that a metre of water. And it's slowly moving down Vipivhardi-Rangsit at between 1/2 a metre to a metre deep. It hasn't been quickly drained off, and that's because the drainage can't handle that much water. All of Bangkok would basically be the same. Flood water to 1 - 2 metres. Electrical systems, pumps, etc ruined in basements. People stuck in their homes (condos, low-rise apartments, shacks). Doubling or tripling the number of people that need flood relief. Doubling or tripling (or more) the amount of money that needs to be spent fixing infrastructure.

It basically means less money and effort spent on the people, businesses, infrastructure that is already flooded.

A win for the poor.

This should be the way to fight double standard.

Why should bangkok be kept dry? Do bangkok people pay special tax for this privilege?

That was a totally worthless post containing a totally misdirected and worthless question. The equally worthless answer is: "Yes."

If one can believe what has been posted on TV regarding the fact that 40% of the income of Thailand is generated in the Greater Bangkok area, then it would probably be safe to assume that far more taxes are paid in Bangkok than in the poor villages (and certainly by the "poor" themselves as you have labelled them. Just how much income tax do you figure the "poor" pay each year?)

--- Hopefully by now you've realized that the answer is as stupid as the question.

And you do realize that some of the greater Bangkok is underwater? And where a corporation pays tax is not necessarily where they are located.

1) without infrastructure in place in capital effective and speedy recovery will not be possible - hilarious I invite you to view all the contradictions, infighting, self centered and self righteous bullshit coming from your precious infrastructure.

Not aimed at OP:

I've paid my dues for 12 years for your infrastructure to tell me the city is not equipped to deal with some of the run off and its much better for other tax payers to be evacuated with a single bag and leave their pets behind because they chose to live in a family house with a garden rather than a bachelor pad type condo! And that's not even taking into consideration those that have been flonotod victims for months already.

FYI those people aren't flocking to Bangkok - Bangkok is flocking off to resorts in case they get a bit wet. We spent 12 hours in our car, hitching on various pickups and then paddling a boat just so my Bangkok born and tax paying of 25 years, wife could go to work and not feel bad about taking advantage while the office is open.

Have any of you posters telling those to stop whining even helped personally? I have a spare paddle, you can help me row the 4km to my house so I can have the luxury of changing my underwear - thanks in advance. In the meantime carry on patronizing those that are generally suffering with selfish, spoilt, pampered and precious arguments based upon regurgitated spoon fed opinions.

I suppose, on a positive note, if Bangkok floods, your wife won't need to go to work for a while.

She works as a manager for an insurance brokerage... that intranet won't wait for floods to recede :P

In tray dam_n autocorrect

Fully agree. Better 9 Million wet feet for 10 Days, than rotten water for3 Million Million for Months. Makes a huge difference for house struktures and health. But there is still a big chance for the flood to creap into inner Bangkokwhatever is done. Who knows wether them dikes are holding on. It is by far not over.

What makes you think that they will only be wet for 10 days if Bangkok is flooded? Either the ones in Bangkok or the ones up river?

When Yingluck said a week or two ago that Bangkok was going to be under a metre of water, she said that it would be like that for 4-6 weeks.

Sorry but......woh cares what yingluck says. She misjudged the intire situation from the beginning. Seem that the Gouvoner s in charge. He does it, she talks about it. Her statements mostly had to be revised next day. My belive is: whatever they do,BANGKOK WILL FLOOD. Slowly but shurly. As longer they block the float of these floods, as longer the water will stay and built up at the northern, eastern and western dams. Thesemostly temporary dirt or sandbag dams will not withstand very much longer. ......and they know it.

There is a lot of anger and heartache out there. It is completely understandable. People have lost homes, buisness' and loved ones due to this flood. Then they look at central bangkok and believe we are being spared at their expense. I can totally sympathise with this.

But people need to realise that if the central business district of BKK is flooded it wont just affect people in BKK, it will affect the whole of Thailand. This is the capital city and the centre of Finance and Governance for the country. I am not saying that people who live here are more important, but the infrastructure in this area is of vital importance to the whole country. Whats more this view that only rich people live in Bangkok is ridiculous. It is a huge city, with a large amount of very poor and poor people. Most of whom are Thai. They will be the first to suffer if BKK is flooded. Other comments i have read recently (bangkok post e.t.c.) seems to blame Farangs??? People have to understand we have NO say in what happens and virtually no rights within this country. We live and work and pay our taxes. However the flood issues are solely controlled by the Thai government not rich Farang. Also not all Farang who live here are rich. In fact a large proportion are definately not even close to rich. Of course we do not want to get flooded. NO ONE wants to get flooded!! But these decisions are not ours to make. We simply have to accept what we are told, the same as all People. I sincerely hope that the flooded area's are drained quickly and that there is no more loss of life. I also sincerely hope my Soi and my home are not flooded.

No government in the past 50 years has bothered to enhance flood measures? Every passing year brings greater capacity to control flooding. What hasn't changed is human stupidity and corruptibility. It's getting worse if anything.

You are only partially correct. Each year improvements were made specifically for Bangkok, not the rest of Thailand, and THAT is the problem. And the steps and measures they have bother to take are only for seasonal rain. Nothing the did prepared them for something like what is happening now.

Lots of great posts here from both sides of the coffer. Perhaps a bit too-much of querulousness instead of focus.

While people tend to dis-like their neighbors, such behavior serves no beneficial purpose when addressing sweeping infrastructural developments.

Call me a fool if you like but I've endured some major flooding in my time.

These times represent an opportunity for all-of-us to come together and to encourage the right people to do the proper thing.

Kind regards to all afflicted.

Sorry but......woh cares what yingluck says. She misjudged the intire situation from the beginning. Seem that the Gouvoner s in charge. He does it, she talks about it. Her statements mostly had to be revised next day. My belive is: whatever they do,BANGKOK WILL FLOOD. Slowly but shurly. As longer they block the float of these floods, as longer the water will stay and built up at the northern, eastern and western dams. Thesemostly temporary dirt or sandbag dams will not withstand very much longer. ......and they know it.

OK. But what makes you think that if Bangkok floods, that it would be cleared within 10 days?

There is a lot of anger and heartache out there. It is completely understandable. People have lost homes, buisness' and loved ones due to this flood. Then they look at central bangkok and believe we are being spared at their expense. I can totally sympathise with this.

But people need to realise that if the central business district of BKK is flooded it wont just affect people in BKK, it will affect the whole of Thailand. This is the capital city and the centre of Finance and Governance for the country. I am not saying that people who live here are more important, but the infrastructure in this area is of vital importance to the whole country. Whats more this view that only rich people live in Bangkok is ridiculous. It is a huge city, with a large amount of very poor and poor people. Most of whom are Thai. They will be the first to suffer if BKK is flooded. Other comments i have read recently (bangkok post e.t.c.) seems to blame Farangs??? People have to understand we have NO say in what happens and virtually no rights within this country. We live and work and pay our taxes. However the flood issues are solely controlled by the Thai government not rich Farang. Also not all Farang who live here are rich. In fact a large proportion are definately not even close to rich. Of course we do not want to get flooded. NO ONE wants to get flooded!! But these decisions are not ours to make. We simply have to accept what we are told, the same as all People. I sincerely hope that the flooded area's are drained quickly and that there is no more loss of life. I also sincerely hope my Soi and my home are not flooded.

Agree. Good luck.

In the end the biggest, directly live threatening problem is there to come. It will not be the moving flood itself. It will be and is already the STANDING shallow water, which becomes very 'active' within a few days and even short contact can lead to basicly every disease. If these waters kept floating, there is indeffenetly a better chance for very many people to remain healthy. My opinion. Difficult desitions between money, infrastructure, jobs and HEALTH OF HUNDREDTHOUSANDS.

Quote:"Before we had roads we had boats". Summs it up, explains why Thais accept flooding and is "lifestyle" since Ayuthaya

Like it.....Lifestyle choice.....

just accept that the flooding is part of the scene although good idea buying a condomack sure its on at least the 6th Floor with backup Nm pao" supply from rooftop Wai nam and solar/UPS power (for the sat dish)

Got in from the Mai last night with eaasy transfer to Mac and down to Suk on underground (packed)confident lifestyle .....init.

A win for the poor.

This should be the way to fight double standard.

Why should bangkok be kept dry? Do bangkok people pay special tax for this privilege?

Well they probably pay tax.

Which would probably make them different to most of the people who are wet.

Floodwater is being diverted away from the Chao Phraya River to the east and west. That is what I meant by saying that the river is "closed". Of course the river is not closed. Stop diverting most of the water to the east and west. From Nakorn Sawan on down open all the the barriers all the way to the sea!!!!

Are there barriers on the Chao Phraya below the dams? I'm not sure.

Maybe you mean close any gates that allow water out of the river? That may produce the result you want of the river overflowing its banks in Bangkok. It would probably overflow in many other places too and it wouldn't save the likes Ayutthaya which was hit by the river overflowing.

Anyway Ned don't let me get in the way of a good rant.

First there is a history of people in the Minburi district forcing open watergates to attempt to drain their own houses. This is not new as being downstream, or down klong from them for many years I have received the outcome of this type of action before.

We do need to get real. If you build flood defenses there will always be an edge where on one side there is protection and on the other there is not. The only thing you can change is where that edge occurs. People on the outside of that edge will be wetter, and wetter for longer because of the flood defenses. The only ways to make their lives easier is to either expand the area covered by the defenses or do away with the defenses altogether.

Although I make no claim to be a water engineer I do doubt that Bangkok flood defenses detrimentally affect anyone but those very close to the outside of the defenses. I feel it's unlikely for instance that Bangkok flood defenses cause Ayutthaya to flood.

Having said all that are there people playing politics with the issue? Sure the Bangkok Governor relies on Bangkok voters and if Bangkok does flood he will want the national government to take the blame. On the other hand some of the areas just outside Bangkok voted for the Phue Thai and the government wouldn't like to be seen as not helping its supporters. Further afield the government knows that taking an anti-Bangkok stand is a vote winner in core regions and if it can persuade the Central Plains to swing behind them on a claim that they flooded because of Bangkok flood defenses they will.

So is there an answer? Where should the money be spent when this is over next month? Surely more flood defenses and higher levees around urban and industrial areas. The agricultural land can be temporarily sacrificed to take up the flood water as this a fairly natural occurrence anyway.

First there is a history of people in the Minburi district forcing open watergates to attempt to drain their own houses. This is not new as being downstream, or down klong from them for many years I have received the outcome of this type of action before.

We do need to get real. If you build flood defenses there will always be an edge where on one side there is protection and on the other there is not. The only thing you can change is where that edge occurs. People on the outside of that edge will be wetter, and wetter for longer because of the flood defenses. The only ways to make their lives easier is to either expand the area covered by the defenses or do away with the defenses altogether.

Although I make no claim to be a water engineer I do doubt that Bangkok flood defenses detrimentally affect anyone but those very close to the outside of the defenses. I feel it's unlikely for instance that Bangkok flood defenses cause Ayutthaya to flood.

Having said all that are there people playing politics with the issue? Sure the Bangkok Governor relies on Bangkok voters and if Bangkok does flood he will want the national government to take the blame. On the other hand some of the areas just outside Bangkok voted for the Phue Thai and the government wouldn't like to be seen as not helping its supporters. Further afield the government knows that taking an anti-Bangkok stand is a vote winner in core regions and if it can persuade the Central Plains to swing behind them on a claim that they flooded because of Bangkok flood defenses they will.

So is there an answer? Where should the money be spent when this is over next month? Surely more flood defenses and higher levees around urban and industrial areas. The agricultural land can be temporarily sacrificed to take up the flood water as this a fairly natural occurrence anyway.

a sensible level-headed post. thanks