Whole Bangkok At Risk Of Flooding After Opening Of Key Sluice Gate

webfact

A win for the poor.

This should be the way to fight double standard.

Why should bangkok be kept dry? Do bangkok people pay special tax for this privilege?

Don't any poor people live in Bangkok?

Some of the people in flooded areas still have jobs in Bangkok. Do you want them to lose their jobs too?

Also, given that very few Thai's pay tax, maybe the people in Bangkok DO pay a special tax for this privilege.

there are so many reasons why this is a bad idea.... i personally dont care if it floods, if it happens it happens. but these people only care about the social injustice they face because the city which provides most of them with jobs, and not to mention food and water, isnt flooded. we'll just see what happens when they start whining about starving or because their government compensation package shrinks because bkk needs to be bailed out too. honestly, if they act like that, they totally deserve it. it's the collectivist mentality, one monkey does it, and all the other monkeys see and follow....

Is it your deliberate attempt to incite division, or your simple lack of understanding of logoistics that anger me? :annoyed:

You state, "I personally don't care", and then write "if it happens it happens" - if you accept that then accept it without retribution.

But then you incite division with, (quote)"these people don't care about the injustice they face", be it social or not,"because the CITY which provides most of them with jobs..."

You believe that the 88million people of Thailand work in BKK Centre? Really?

Do you believe your following statements of "jobs, food and water come from BKK centre" for the 76million who live outside of it???

"If they act like that,they totally deserve it.".... who's they please? Those that don't live in BKK??? - INCITE FOR DIVISION!

"collective mentality like monkeys" outside of BKK is that?? - INCITE FOR DIVISION? {Have you memoirs of Lopburi when you wrote that???}

You 'assume' all food, water bla bla and taxes come from BKK. You are far from correct!

BKK is a little part of the infrastructure, as the likes of Honda and Toyota and their suppliers have demonstrated.

Stop making eager, incited, immature and vile discriminations between those who live in BKK and the rest of the country.

-m.:D

if you're gonna quote what i say, then at least dont change what i said to fit your mood for a rant. highlighted some for you to look over again and compare with my original post.

thanks!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A win for the poor.

This should be the way to fight double standard.

Why should bangkok be kept dry? Do bangkok people pay special tax for this privilege?

A pretty fair point!.. if that's what the outcome is, that other (inner) Bkk areas should suffer likewise not just the poorest!!!:wai:

Fair enough comrade. If my neighbor looses his foot I am coming up to your place and hacking off your foot. Fair should be fair.

"BANGKOK, November 2, 2011 (AFP) - The death toll from Thailand's worst floods in decades surged above 400 .... ... ..

Flood Death Toll Rises to 446

UPDATE : 5 November 2011

As of today, the flooding crisis has claimed 446 lives with two still missing.

Over 3.1 million residents in 25 provinces have been affected.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-05

footer_n.gif

The "Bottom Line" is that for the past 50+ years since the last major flood, nothing has been done to prepare for another one. The "protect BKK" mentality is now coming back to bite them where they sit. There have been at least 2 separate Dutch experts brought in who did studies and made recommendations, and gave warnings of what would happen. They were ignored. There have been Thai experts who have done the same. Also ignored. Why? Maybe because the politicians couldn't figure out how to work in the graft & corruption they always need to get anything done. And let's face it, the attitude of far to many in BKK think and feel that BKK actually IS Thailand, and the provinces are "just there" and don't really mean anything. Until this mentality changes, things will continue to get worse, not better. As has been pointed out in more than one article of various news media, this flood is causing an even bigger rift between the rich & poor, and further dividing the country.

In their emotional state many in the areas outside of BKK feel that it is being protected to protect the rich, and don't always stop to consider how many people in BKK are from the provinces but just WORKING in BKK to help support their families. Their "tunnel vision" only focuses on the politicians, the rich and elite, and that is where their anger is directed, not realizing that it will also have a serious effect on the millions of poor who live/work there as well.

As I've stated before in other posts, there could be something good come from this if it finally serves as a "wake up call" for the government to finally bring in the experts, both Thai & foreign, and this time actually listen to them, then do what is needed to be done for ALL of Thailand to try and prevent this from happening again. But as I said in the beginning, no government for the past 50+ years has bothered to do it, so I don't hold out much hope this one will be any different. Which means it WILL happen again, and possibly a lot sooner than they expect with the already noted climate changes that are taking place world wide. All we can do is hope someone finally flips the switch that turns on the lights in the minds of those who have the power and ability to do something, and get them out of the dark.

No government in the past 50 years has bothered to enhance flood measures? Every passing year brings greater capacity to control flooding. What hasn't changed is human stupidity and corruptibility. It's getting worse if anything.

You are only partially correct. Each year improvements were made specifically for Bangkok, not the rest of Thailand, and THAT is the problem. And the steps and measures they have bother to take are only for seasonal rain. Nothing the did prepared them for something like what is happening now.

To make it simple for you to judge whether the past governments have done enough to combat floods I will provide you the lead. Thailand needs at least 17-20 billion cubic meter of flood control dams capacity just for the Choa Phraya catchment alone. This is barely minimum. This figure is based on 25% of annual average rainfall for Choa Phraya catchment measured at the river mouth, i.e. 70billion cubic meter per year. When we talk about flood, the least intensity and duration that we shall prepare to see at least twice in 50 years is 25% of annual average rainfall that falls in 7 days.

has it occurs to anyone at all that poor farmers are people too, just just bangkokians.

Why do you hate millions of poor that live in Bangkok?

I think that unfair TAWP - though I understand your point that the poor are ALL ABOUT Thailand and not just in areas outside Bangkok. I think the word 'hate' a little strong however as from what I've read sparebox2 didn't utter that word. I think these very frustrating times when people are getting flooded (poor or otherwise!) and we no doubt all feel the pressure of the situation. However, I took sparebox2 comments as those venting this frustration rather than expressing any hatred towards anybody...

Sending 'keep safe' messages to all - regardless of opinion. Let's not though put words into each others mouths and turn on each other. It doesn't matter. What happens will be. What matters is how we cope with the inevitable and I vote for 'sticking together' myself...

All the best!

has it occurs to anyone at all that poor farmers are people too, just just bangkokians.

I think that unfair TAWP - though I understand your point that the poor are ALL ABOUT Thailand and not just in areas outside Bangkok. I think the word 'hate' a little strong however as from what I've read sparebox2 didn't utter that word. I think these very frustrating times when people are getting flooded (poor or otherwise!) and we no doubt all feel the pressure of the situation. However, I took sparebox2 comments as those venting this frustration rather than expressing any hatred towards anybody...

Sending 'keep safe' messages to all - regardless of opinion. Let's not though put words into each others mouths and turn on each other. It doesn't matter. What happens will be. What matters is how we cope with the inevitable and I vote for 'sticking together' myself...

All the best!

I understand your point but his past post has been clear with hate for the 'rich bangkokians', calling for it to be flooded etc.

He is clearly missing the point that the rich flies out - the poor is left behind, struggling.

All the best!

I understand your point but his past post has been clear with hate for the 'rich bangkokians', calling for it to be flooded etc.

He is clearly missing the point that the rich flies out - the poor is left behind, struggling.

Well, in "flooding the 'rich'" then guess I'd be that!!! I live in a nice condo. but I am not going anywhere - with a family cannot afford it despite my comparative wealth to those living in huts! Don't take it personally however - these are frustrating times and people need vent! (Hoorah for TV and all...) I didn't see 'hate' mentioned though - we need just stick together and WHEN floods hit Bangkok so we will have a stronger community to further vent to... ;)

"BANGKOK, November 2, 2011 (AFP) - The death toll from Thailand's worst floods in decades surged above 400 .... ... ..

Flood Death Toll Rises to 446

UPDATE : 5 November 2011

As of today, the flooding crisis has claimed 446 lives with two still missing.

Over 3.1 million residents in 25 provinces have been affected.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-05

footer_n.gif

Death toll from Thailand floods rises past 500

The nationwide death toll from flooding in Thailand climbed past 500 on Sunday, as the polluted black water continued its march through northern Bangkok, pouring across major intersections and a road underneath the capital's elevated train line.

Floodwaters were also approaching a main road near the city's Mo Chit bus terminal, a major gateway to northern Thailand. But the bus station remained open, traffic police chief Uthaiwan Kaewsa-ard said.

Three months of intense rainfall have fueled Thailand's worst flooding in half a century, swamping much of the country since July and leaving 506 people dead, according to the government.

Continues:

http://www.cbs8.com/story/15969487/death-toll-from-thailand-floods-rises-past-500

Associate Press - 6 minutes ago