No Radiation Contamination, Chemical Leak From Flooded Installations: Thailand

webfact

it's not about the test reactors here in Thailand. What worries me is how much came with the rain from Fukushima.

When there're record readings all over the world then Thailand too must have gotten a dose.

I would not be worried about that. Just go back in time and remember how many in air nuclear tests there has been in the world. And those were nuclear explosions, not just fires which lifted some hot particles up in to the air, like in Fukushima.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it's not about the test reactors here in Thailand. What worries me is how much came with the rain from Fukushima.

When there're record readings all over the world then Thailand too must have gotten a dose.

I would not be worried about that. Just go back in time and remember how many in air nuclear tests there has been in the world. And those were nuclear explosions, not just fires which lifted some hot particles up in to the air, like in Fukushima.

since it is official that the actual release of radiation is 2 times higher than previously admitted, the concerns are valid and serious.

I wonder why they need a nuclear reactor, is it for cooking mama noodles for the "scientists"? :unsure:

They've been around a long time - note the date - when Bangkok still had lots of canals and probably floods less of an issue. Even so, they did build it well above flood lines. Being in the same field I've met with them before and they are a very conscientious group of people.

I agree about the media being overly focused on them.

The Office of Atoms for Peace (OAP) of Thailand (สำนักงานปรมาณูเพื่อสันติ) located in Chatuchak district, Bangkok, Thailand, was established in 1961 as the Office of Atomic Energy for Peace, the OAP serves as the main authority in nuclear research in Thailand. The OAP employs approximately 400 people. The research topics and services provided at the OAP include radioisotope production, gamma radiography, neutron activation analysis, neutron radiography, and gemstone irradiation.

The OAP operates a 2-megawatt nuclear research reactor, Thai Research Reactor 1/Modification 1 (TRR-1/M1). The TRR-1/M1 is of the type TRIGA Mark III, built by General Atomics, and began operation in 1962 after being commissioned in 1961 as a 1MW reactor. The TRR-1/M1 underwent its modification during 1975-1977, at which point it began operation as a 2MW reactor. TRR-1/M1 is the only nuclear reactor in Thailand.

In 2006, OAP was divided into two separate entities: the original OAP, which will oversee nuclear and radiation regulations nationally, and the new Thailand Institute of Nuclear Technology (TINT), which will conduct peaceful nuclear research and offer services to the public.

Wiki

since it is official that the actual release of radiation is 2 times higher than previously admitted, the concerns are valid and serious.

In any case it's also important to understand what is twice of what. If you put 1 spoon of salt to food for 1000 people you can say there is salt on the food. If you double that, you can say it's more salty than before, but you can hardly say that the food is too salty to eat.

People tend to think that radiation is mystical and dangerous because we can not see it. Still every moment of our lives we get radiation from all kind of sources. From the space, from the ground, heck even from the wlan stations in our homes as well as inside our bodies.

In any case it's also important to understand what is twice of what. If you put 1 spoon of salt to food for 1000 people you can say there is salt on the food. If you double that, you can say it's more salty than before, but you can hardly say that the food is too salty to eat.

People tend to think that radiation is mystical and dangerous because we can not see it. Still every moment of our lives we get radiation from all kind of sources. From the space, from the ground, heck even from the wlan stations in our homes as well as inside our bodies.

Radiation is dangerous especially if it gets inside the body. Its especially bad for heart cells hence why nuclear workers are more likely to die of heart disease. Medical radiation from CAT scans has been calculated to cause 39,000 cancers per year in the US alone.

For more on Fukushima and all the lies, denials and corruption see:

And Bananas !!! :( believe me

http://chemistry.about.com/b/2011/07/10/bananas-are-radioactive.htm

http://chemistry.abo...radioactive.htm

More nuclear industry clap trap - other people have tested bananas and found no radiation in them at all.

Not an official chart by experts but it's to give reference to Laymen about radiation.

Be careful Eating two banana's gives TWICE the amount of radiation! Breathing twice gives TWICE the oxygen.

Saying something is double doesn't mean it's immediately dangerous when no measurements are given.

post-55678-0-62388600-1320301255_thumb.p

More nuclear industry clap trap - other people have tested bananas and found no radiation in them at all.

Bananas are radioactive. The fruit contains high levels of potassium. Radioactive K-40 has an isotopic abundance of 0.01% and a half-life of 1.25 billion years. The average banana contains around 450 mg of potassium and will experience about 14 decays each second. It's no big deal. You already have potassium in your body, 0.01% as K-40. You are fine. Your body can handle low levels of radioactivity.

Point being made here is that the world is full of radioactivity and most of it is harmless.

Radiation is dangerous especially if it gets inside the body. Its especially bad for heart cells hence why nuclear workers are more likely to die of heart disease. Medical radiation from CAT scans has been calculated to cause 39,000 cancers per year in the US alone.

If you had said radiation makes nuclear workers more prone to certain types of cancer such leukemia...I would have belived you....the only way nuclear workers are more prone to heart disease is because of all the cr*p they eat while on shift...same same as Homer Simpson and his donut's.....:D

There is absolutely no foundation to support the theory that radiation makes you more prone to heart diease.

First. This expert is representing this organization: Beyond Nuclear aims to educate and activate the public about the connections between nuclear power and nuclear weapons and the need to abandon both to safeguard our future.

So he is not likely to be fully objective to the issue.

Secondly: Even at the start he is mixing between radiation doses and the amount of radiation which was coming from the core. The difference is like amount of water compared to the flow of the water.

Then on the other hand. There are misinformation and hiding information from the people who wish to save their faces. That's true as well.

Still, in general, we have no reason to be afraid of the radiation leaks coming from Japan. It's just one spoonful of salt.

Bananas are radioactive. The fruit contains high levels of potassium. Radioactive K-40 has an isotopic abundance of 0.01% and a half-life of 1.25 billion years. The average banana contains around 450 mg of potassium and will experience about 14 decays each second. It's no big deal. You already have potassium in your body, 0.01% as K-40. You are fine. Your body can handle low levels of radioactivity.

Point being made here is that the world is full of radioactivity and most of it is harmless.

The article is about a nuclear facility - its contents are dangerous. We're not talking about back ground radiation.

If you had said radiation makes nuclear workers more prone to certain types of cancer such leukemia...I would have belived you....the only way nuclear workers are more prone to heart disease is because of all the cr*p they eat while on shift...same same as Homer Simpson and his donut's.....:D

There is absolutely no foundation to support the theory that radiation makes you more prone to heart diease.

Dr. Prof Busby reports research studies on post-Chernobyl Belarus identified the additional risk that exposure to Cesium-137 radiation concentrates in and kills heart muscle cells that are non-replaceable in a short period of time. Children die from heart disease due to radiation long before cancer develops.

Edited by Chopperboy

The article is about a nuclear facility - its contents are dangerous. We're not talking about back ground radiation.

Its all radiation....if you sit on the beach all day and get sunburned....that is in effect a radiation burn, sunburn can be dangerous as well to certain people.....:D

So lets not get all hysterical about the banana's shall we...

You stated above...nuclear industry clap trap, I would suggest to you, that the nuclear industry is not the only talking clap trap.....radiation worker are more prone to heart disease due to radiation..!!!!!....get my tin foil hat...

Dr. Prof Busby reports research studies on post-Chernobyl Belarus identified the additional risk that exposure to Cesium-137 radiation concentrates in and kills heart muscle cells that are non-replaceable in a short period of time. Children die from heart disease due to radiation long before cancer develops.

This relates to a nuclear accident...and the risk is in children...and you said radiation workers....I know russian labour laws are bit backward but I can assure there were no child radiation workers at Chernoble..

You seem to be adding 1+1 and getting an answer of 3.

Its all radiation....if you sit on the beach all day and get sunburned....that is in effect a radiation burn, sunburn can be dangerous as well to certain people.....:D

You are confusing different types of radiation there is a huge difference between sitting on a beach, and ingesting cesium 137 !!

This relates to a nuclear accident...and the risk is in children...and you said radiation workers....I know russian labour laws are bit backward but I can assure there were no child radiation workers at Chernoble..

Scientists discover possible radiation and heart disease link

Scientists studied workers at four UK nuclear sites, including Sellafield and discovered a potential connection between exposure to radiation and heart disease.

A study of nearly 65,000 nuclear industry workers over more than 60 years has found a possible link between high radiation exposure and heart disease.

The team studied 64,818 workers at the Sellafield, Springfields, Chapelcross and Capenhurst nuclear sites. Some of the workers began work in the industry as far back as 1946, and 42,426 were exposed to radiation as part of their job.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/mar/04/nuclear.nuclearpower

Scientists studied workers at four UK nuclear sites, including Sellafield and discovered a potential connection between exposure to radiation and heart disease.

A study of nearly 65,000 nuclear industry workers over more than 60 years has found a possible link between high radiation exposure and heart disease.

The team studied 64,818 workers at the Sellafield, Springfields, Chapelcross and Capenhurst nuclear sites. Some of the workers began work in the industry as far back as 1946, and 42,426 were exposed to radiation as part of their job.

http://www.guardian....ar.nuclearpower

It's time to check you computer from viruses as when copying the text you missed this chapter between those which were copied corretly.

"The finding was particularly surprising since there is no established biological mechanism that would explain how radiation exposure might cause heart disease. However, the research team stressed that its analysis could not rule out other factors that could explain the link, such as work-related stress or irregular shift patterns."

Do check out the Fukushima ThaiVisa website because its ALL there.

This is my favourite article:

Fukushima Smoking Gun Emerges: Founding Engineer Says Reactor 4 Has Always Been A "Time Bomb", Exposes Criminal Cover Up

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/fukushima-smoking-gun-emerges-founding-engineer-says-reactor-4-has-always-been-time-bomb-exp

You are confusing different types of radiation there is a huge difference between sitting on a beach, and ingesting cesium 137 !!

Do you have milk on your cornflakes in the morning ?.....if yes then you are ingested cesium 137 along with Potassium 40 and a few other radioactive isotopes...this morning...:whistling:

http://www.guardian....ar.nuclearpower

It's time to check you computer from viruses as when copying the text you missed this chapter between those which were copied corretly.

However, the research team stressed that its analysis could not rule out other factors that could explain the link, such as work-related stress or irregular shift patterns."

and they forgot to add the donut's Homer Simpson eats while on shift....:lol:

"The finding was particularly surprising since there is no established biological mechanism that would explain how radiation exposure might cause heart disease. However, the research team stressed that its analysis could not rule out other factors that could explain the link, such as work-related stress or irregular shift patterns.

That was 2008, now its know that its due to the fact that heart cells replace themselves very slowly and are susceptible to radiation. "Stress" please ???

Do check out the Fukushima ThaiVisa website because its ALL there.

Thanks but I gather my information from credited scientists rather than forum posters.

I would suggest you would do the same. The closer you are to the source of information, the less it's colored by opinions.

Do you have milk on your cornflakes in the morning ?.....if yes then you are ingested cesium 137 along with Potassium 40 and a few other radioactive isotopes...this morning...:whistling:

Perhaps you live in Vermont?

Cesium-137 has been found in American milk—in Montpelier, Vermont—for the first time since the Japan nuclear disaster began…

The cesium-137 found in milk in Vermont is the first cesium detected in milk since the Fukushima-Daichi nuclear accident occurred last month. The sample contained 1.9 picoCuries per liter of cesium-137.

Thanks but I gather my information from credited scientists rather than forum posters.

I would suggest you would do the same. The closer you are to the source of information, the less it's colored by opinions.

FYI - its mainly quotes from nuclear industry specialists

"The finding was particularly surprising since there is no established biological mechanism that would explain how radiation exposure might cause heart disease. However, the research team stressed that its analysis could not rule out other factors that could explain the link, such as work-related stress or irregular shift patterns.

That was 2008, now its know that its due to the fact that heart cells replace themselves very slowly and are susceptible to radiation. "Stress" please ???

Mate, think you are losing a the battle here, why are heart cells more susceptible to radiation than say liver cells, blood cells etc....the most prevalant radiation related diease occuring in radiation worker is luekemia and that is scientifically proven.

It seems to be you post some random link or comment and when some proves you wrong, you do not debate but just post another random link.

further if you read up in scientific journals you will find stress is a proven in contributing to heart disease..

FYI - its mainly quotes from nuclear industry specialists

Well. I think your computer virus already made the point of quotations on forum discussions.

the most prevalant radiation related diease occuring in radiation worker is luekemia and that is scientifically proven.

Radiation can cause cancer AND now discovered, can cause heart disease. Not good then is it??

Edited by Chopperboy