Anyone Been To The New Ikea Yet Are There Queues?

daveb1

I can also remember these types of furniture stores back in the UK.

Total rubbish.

Stuff that did not fit together from the flat packs, would fall apart after a year.

These products became a standard joke.

At least in Thailand good quality furniture is still affordable and easy to avoid these junk places.

Index and SB have essentially the same (style) furniture. SB techs come to your home and assemble the same flat packed furniture that you can assemble yourself. Prices are competitive with SB and Index but Ikeas selection is far greater and on the first floor they have a multitude of gadgets for the kitchen, bathroom, etc etc. Yesterday by noon the store was buzzing. Mostly Thais, some westerners, some Japanese. Ikea offers optional delivery, assembly and installation thereby making it the sam/comparable as SB/Index but with greater selection.

The only furniture I can think of that may be heavier is the Thai stuff cut from logs that still looks like logs and is so heavy several people are needed to lift/move it. The furniture is not secured when the store is closed since it is so difficult to lift.

It highly unlikely Ikea has become the world biggest furnishings chain by selling products that are "a standard joke"

I have an Ikea kitchen for 20 years and is doing great. Their customer service is painless and bends over backwards to help.

One thing I noticed is on my ATM card receipt it said "no refunds". This may be the standard Thai paperwork.

No lack of angry, resentful, bitter old men in Thailand.

Could Thailand be the hub of angry, resentful, bitte(twisted)r old men ???

15 baht hotdogs, 7 baht ice cream, etc etc. 55 baht for 5 meatballs, potatoes, lingonberries.

I have assembled many flat packed Ikea furniture packs. Desks, kitchens, living rooms. Clear, straightforward, easy. I am not a carpenter nor have any special skills related to such. The diagrammatic instructions are very clear and "child proof"

Edited by atyclb

55 baht for 5 meatballs, potatoes, lingonberries.

Now that's what I wanted to hear! Gotta get there before the flood comes and stock up on frozen meatballs

I was disappointed with the meatballs. I asked the cook. They are a mix of pork and beef and are similar to pork/fish balls. Not the same taste/texture as their meatballs in italy, taipei, or usa.

Ikea stores all have the same layout and very clever because you have to pass every dept before you can exit so bigger chance of spending more.

I like all the accessories and nic nacs . Do they have framed pictures or art for the walls?

My son a big fan, bought an Ikea kitchen. Fantastic! Both the base and wall units had no recess at the back. So if you needed to run electric cables or pipes behind them, you had to remove the back panels and notch the units. He was not such a fan of Ikea by the time he had finished fitting it.

jb1

What are their delivery prices for those outside Bangkok?

Start from 650Bht (if you live next door), to have something moved more than 100km, 2800 Baht for a 4 wheel (utility) that was to Nakhon Pathom...... Ill take my own truck next time. For the important question, the meatballs gave me gas.....

Oz

Ikea stores all have the same layout and very clever because you have to pass every dept before you can exit so bigger chance of spending more.

I like all the accessories and nic nacs . Do they have framed pictures or art for the walls?

You only have to go through everything IF you follow the full itinary, there are loads of shortcuts in between, check out their floor map !

Total rubbish.

Stuff that did not fit together from the flat packs, would fall apart after a year.

At least in Thailand good quality furniture is still affordable and easy to avoid these junk places.

what a frivilous post :rolleyes:

Beatlejuice always seems negitive about all things

Total rubbish.

what a frivilous post :rolleyes:

Beatlejuice always seems negitive about all things

lol "Good quality affordable furniture in Thailand" blink.gifbiggrin.gif, please show me a link, just for a laugh

Edited by aneliane

In the UK it was MFI, they were totally shit.

Slightly OT, but as a teenager I used to work for MFI at the weekends. MFI actually stands for 'Manufacturers Foreign Imports'. I was supplied with a box of 6 inch nails which were used to hold together any showroom furniture that we built - otherwise they would 'shake, rattle and roll'

The only redeeming factor was the commission that I earned on every sale. I would earn about 2,000 baht a day in commissions, which was very good considering that this was about 35 years ago.

I once sold 5,000 pounds worth of kitchen furniture to an Iranian couple who were going to ship the goods back to Iran - but I didn't have the heart (==> too greedy for my commission) to tell them that all the unit doors would crack in the heat in just a few days...

Simon

Was there opening day there were standard busy weekend lines but that is normal at ikea. as room the nay sayers they are totally off the mark. sb and index will sion be shadows of there former selves and hopefully will just disappear also kinda funny a few months back they started "naming" all there stuff with ikea like names and all of a sudden saw lots of yellow and blue signs in them. yeah ikea thanks for finally coming!

Was there opening day there were standard busy weekend lines but that is normal at ikea. as room the nay sayers they are totally off the mark. sb and index will sion be shadows of there former selves and hopefully will just disappear also kinda funny a few months back they started "naming" all there stuff with ikea like names and all of a sudden saw lots of yellow and blue signs in them. yeah ikea thanks for finally coming!

How can you have been there "on the first day busy with weekend lines", when the first day was actually Thursday 3rd of Nov ? blink.gif

Last time I checked Thursday is a weekdayhuh.gif

Can anyone who has actually been to IKEA tell me if they are selling kitchen appliances, such as dishwashers, fridges, ovens etc? There is no mention of any electrical appliance on their website. I want to travel from Korat as soon as possible Floods permitting) to organise a new kitchen, but it would be a bit of a nightmare if I had to buy the cabinets only from IKEA and then try to find the correct sized appliances to fit. Thanks in advance.

Drove there yesterday from banchalong, No parking at all, absolute chaos, parking attendants didnt have a clue. Only stopped by because we were heading to Sikarin hospital to visit a sick friend. After 35 minutes of driving round looking for a free spot we left. Guess saturday was a bad day to try, but the wife was curious. I have no problem with Ikea furniture, it does the job and is probably slightly better than the stuff I have bought from Index/SB. But they really screwed up on parking.

Can anyone who has actually been to IKEA tell me if they are selling kitchen appliances, such as dishwashers, fridges, ovens etc? There is no mention of any electrical appliance on their website. I want to travel from Korat as soon as possible Floods permitting) to organise a new kitchen, but it would be a bit of a nightmare if I had to buy the cabinets only from IKEA and then try to find the correct sized appliances to fit. Thanks in advance.

No, IKEA does not sell that. Anywhere. You have been to an IKEA before, right?

Kitchen, yes, appliances, no.

Before retiring to thailand, I built custom furiture for a small market. I also bought and used Ikea as who would put a bunch of kids in a rec room on furiture that took 40 hours to custom build? The stuff stands up well, does exactly what it is supposed to do and is well designed for an average guy to assemble. Some of the upper lines are really quite nice and, yes, it hurts my ego to admit it, I stole a few design ideas from them.

I have indeed been to an IKEA before. I'm sorry to directly contradict you, but you are wrong. IKEA UK for example does sell appliances. As does IKEA Australia. And IKEA USA. Ovens, fridges, dishwashers etc. etc. Check their website under 'appliances' and you will see! Does anyone else who has been to IKEA Bangkok know if the same applies here? There is no mention on their website or in their Kitchen brochure, hence my concern. Can anyone else who has been confirm this please?

Give us the important info, how much are the meatballs?

5 pieces + lignon + french fries + soft drink now on promotion: THB 59

10 pieces + lignon + french fries + soft drink: THB 95

Message from Swedish HQ: The food is mostly imported from Sweden and causes some problems (freshness). In the future some food products (e.g. meatballs) will be made in Thailand. HQ is concerned about quality.

Edited by saengsureeya

• 2 weeks later...

Give us the important info, how much are the meatballs?

5 pieces + lignon + french fries + soft drink now on promotion: THB 59

10 pieces + lignon + french fries + soft drink: THB 95

Message from Swedish HQ: The food is mostly imported from Sweden and causes some problems (freshness). In the future some food products (e.g. meatballs) will be made in Thailand. HQ is concerned about quality.

Thanks for that info. Better stock up while they still have the real thing then.