Bankok/Chiangmai

bobby67

Hi everyone, I am coming to Bangkok in a few weeks, However i met a guy who loves Chiangmai.

And with all the floods, recomends i try Chiangmai.

He told me the best thing to do, is find the Mad Dogs,

As it has good food, and is a good place to meet people and hang out.

Is he telling me the truth or pulling my leg.

Thanks

IMHO, pulling your leg regarding the quality of food. But everyone has different tastes. I haven't eaten there since the 1st time years ago, so I don't know about the social atmosphere. Wasn't anything remarkable back then or I would have remembered. Maybe it's changed over the years.

If you will be here a while, take a class at YMCA. You can learn some (more?) Thai and meet people whose interests extend beyond drinking - if yours do.

Join the people at Lanna Bowl wednesdays at 3:30 for a friendly roll.

Browse this forum for things to do in CM. You can find plenty.

G'luck

Edited by amexpat

IMO Mad Dog is good for the price which is reasonable. I suspect that it has improved since Venturalaw was there last as they brought in one of Chiang Mai's most famous restaurateurs who has improved the pizza and revamped the menu.

However, if you are the posh sort, you might not be impressed by the other patrons dining there.

Edited by Ulysses G.

IMO Mad Dog is good for the price which is reasonable. I suspect that it has improved since Venturalaw was there last as they brought in one of Chiang Mai's most famous restaurateurs who has improved the pizza and revamped the menu.

However, if you are the posh sort, you might not be impressed by the other patrons dining there.

I've enjoyed some of your other recommendations, so I'll give them another try. I went there last week and had the chicken cutlet with mashed potatoes - pretty bad. Although at least they had beer laos :) Maybe just a bad dish. The other diners seemed fine - i guess I'm not very posh.

The Queen Victoria is the best as its got a great breakfast with decent back bacon and nice sausage i give them 9/10 score-The old bell also scores a 9/10 with great western food.Gekko gargen scores 6/10 good value food but service bad.

I've enjoyed some of your other recommendations, so I'll give them another try. I went there last week and had the chicken cutlet with mashed potatoes - pretty bad. Although at least they had beer laos :) Maybe just a bad dish. The other diners seemed fine - i guess I'm not very posh.

I think Mad Dog is okay; not fine dining or even solid quality like Dukes, but for a brekkie or Lunch it's right for the price.

A place that I was impressed with recently in terms of value for money is called "The Best", next to Number 1 bar in Loi Kroh Soi 1. Had a pork chop there for I think 160 baht, but was very impressed with the solid but no frills stuff that came with it; good mash, nice crusty mini-baguette, veggies and sauce. It's also good for Farang-influenced Thai food, or Thai-influenced Farang food; spicy seafood spaghetti for example.

Tastes aside, one thing for certain - in Chiang Mai you'll receive far more for your money food-wise, and the quality is good. There are more choices in Bangkok, and the prices are significantly higher, but with that said, often the quality is superior. However Chiang Mai has some excellent restaurants that offer quality food for reasonable prices.

Edited by venturalaw