Big Camera - New Purchase Question

TehBen

Hello,

My wife just bought me a new camera, the Olympus EP2, from Big Camera. The problem is that I actually wanted the EPL2 as it is better at most things and the same price (as well as being much newer). After speaking to the assistant in the shop, he told her that the EP2 is the better camera, and therefore the better purchase.

I, on the other hand, have my doubts. After researching on the net for a while it seems that the EPL2 is better in nearly every way, whilst also being cheaper in some countries. We called up the shop and asked them if we could replace the model (unopened) for the EPL2. The assistant refused, saying that while they advertise both models on their web site, they only have the EP2 in stock and therefore cannot change it for me.

Of course I am happy that I got a nice early xmas present, but I am not that happy that Big Camera effectively conned my wife in selling her an older model with false information.

So, I have 2 questions I hope somebody can help me with.

1. Me being a complete novice when it comes to photography, will I actually notice the difference between the 2 models or am I over-reacting. Are they really that different and is the EP2 still able to stand up against the new-boys in the micro four thirds market (is that what it is?)?

2. If I really do want to change, is the assistant being a bit of an arse, and should I contact the Big Camera head office to see if I can get it changed?

N.B The camera was bought today, I havent turned anything on or even opened the manual.

Considering they are both the same price as a consumer you should be able to exchange within a short period of the purchase.

Often, i feel a response like that just means they can't be bothered...I would speak to a manager!

Quite often the newer model is the better camera...but there have been many exceptions so try this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Olympus+EP2+versus+EPL2&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Cheers,

Alex