Visa Assistance Required

Can anyone help me with a slight dilemma I have please.

I am coming to Thailand in January 2012 with the aim of completing two goals. One is to attend a TEFL course and the second is to marry my Thai girlfriend. Once I have completed the course my aim will be to obtain work in either a language or private school.

My dilemma is which type of visa to apply for here in the UK. Do I apply for an education visa, complete my course and using my MBA with my TEFL Diploma find a job and then marry?

Or, do I come over on a marriage visa, complete the course, marry and then find a job?

I am aware that I am not legally allowed to use a tourist visa as I will be studying and the last thing I want to do is get involved with the Thai authorities. Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated.

I am currently living in the UK and am 46 years of age.

You can only get a Visa based on Marriage when you are married.

Go for the Education visa with the correct paperwork from the school. Also you could get a tourist visa then get the course booked and get a Eduction visa from a neighbouring country.

A bit of a downer here - there are many teachers still looking for jobs, even with MBA's and experience. It might be more difficult than you think, and you might just get some part time work, which is not really gonna pay the bills. But it is your decision at the end of the day.

Edited by beano2274

You can hardly come over on a marriage Visa as you call it, if you are not yet married.

There is no such thing as a marriage visa, there is an extension based on having a Thai wife, and a NON -O visa issued because you are married to a Thai and will require a marriage certificate to be supplied with the application.

There is no reason why you cannot use a standard tourist visa initially and switch after you are married. You can also apply for an ED visa if you wish, the choice is yours.

A double entry tourist Visa will give you 6 months, 60 days + 30 day extension per entry, you will have to do a border run each 90 days.

An Ed visa requires a minimum of 4 hrs study per week, supporting paperwork from the school you are attending with the application and will require you to report each 90 days to immigration.

Hope this helps.jap.gif

Edited by CharlieH

You can only get a Visa based on Marriage when you are married.

Go for the Education visa with the correct paperwork from the school. Also you could get a tourist visa then get the course booked and get a Eduction visa from a neighbouring country.

A bit of a downer here - there are many teachers still looking for jobs, even with MBA's and experience. It might be more difficult than you think, and you might just get some part time work, which is not really gonna pay the bills. But it is your decision at the end of the day.

Thanks Beano

I did wonder about the amount of Teachers looking for work, but I will not be looking for work in BKK. As I am in shipping in the UK, there is every possibility that I will still be operating for my company in the UK from Thailand. I have hundreds of business contacts that import a number of goods from the Far East and I can always source products.

With an Education Visa would I need to do a Visa run every 3 months ?

I did wonder about the amount of Teachers looking for work, but I will not be looking for work in BKK. As I am in shipping in the UK, there is every possibility that I will still be operating for my company in the UK from Thailand. I have hundreds of business contacts that import a number of goods from the Far East and I can always source products.

You do know technically you would require a work permit to operate your UK business from Thailand ?.....as you would be working in Thailand.

Edited by Soutpeel