Govt 'Will Heed' His Majesty's Advice : PM Yingluck

webfact

Govt 'will heed' His Majesty's advice : PM

The Nation

Special waterways will be built as a long-term measure, premier vows

His Majesty the King's advice to build waterways to protect the capital and its suburbs from inundation will be taken into consideration as a long-term measure, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said yesterday. His Majesty had made this suggestion after the 1980 and 1995 deluges.

A committee overseeing the permanent drainage system will further study His Majesty's advice, though for the short term, the government will concentrate on the rehabilitation of transport routes, she said.

Floods in Bangkok are still at a critical level and keep expanding, especially in the hard-to-control eastern and western parts of the capital.

The authorities are currently relying on dykes made with so-called big bags on roads in the Rangsit area to control run-offs from the upper part of the country, in addition to the embankments along the Chao Phraya River and major canals.

Begging for cooperation

Affected people in several areas have tried to break down flood barriers to ease their situation, though Yingluck has been begging people to stop destroying dykes because it will only make matters worse in other areas.

"I beg for understanding and am asking you not to destroy the barricades. It will not reduce the water in your area, but will instead make floods worse in other areas."

She added that the government might have to take legal measures if residents refused to comply.

"The government does not want to take legal action, but would like local people to cooperate with the authorities to overcome difficulties," Yingluck said, adding that she was in a very difficult position.

"It's terrible for me to see people suffering. Many are stressed out and battling problems, but I guarantee that the government and all concerned officials are doing their best to control the situation. It's important to have people's trust."

Asked whether people in Don Muang were dissatisfied with the government's assistance measures, Yingluck said the district was under the jurisdiction of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, though the central authorities were doing their best to support them.

The Social Development and Human Security Ministry has been instructed to handle affected areas, and governors from non-flooded provinces have been told to dispatch manpower and resources to help those in inundated areas, she said.

Froc not to be moved

Asked whether the office of the Flood Relief Operations Centre needed to be moved again since water was approaching from the east, Yingluck said she would have a raised corridor built connecting the Energy Complex with the Don Muang Tollway.

Deputy Prime Minister General Kowit Wattana yesterday met with a rehabilitation committee to come up with measures to restore inundated areas.

Concerned ministries will take care of the flooded areas and look for solutions to rehabilitate them. Kowit has also instructed ministries to take action as soon as the water starts receding.

Culture Minister Sukumol Kunplome said her ministry would take care of submerged historical sites, notably those in Ayutthaya.

Natural Resources and Environment Minister Preecha Rengsomboonsuk said his ministry would help remove contaminated water in 14 flooded provinces in the Central region, and would provide drinking water in 28 provinces.

The ministry would also help repair waste-management systems for 47 local administrative bodies as well as rehabilitate the environment in 2,500 communities across the country, he said.

Education Minister Woravat Auapinyakul said floods had damaged 2,396 schools and it would cost at least Bt1.5 billion to have them repaired.

Also, many schools will have to postpone opening the new semester further if the floods in their areas do not recede in time for the currently planned reopening, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-04

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A year from now, all of these grand plans will be shelved, the country's government will again be too busy money and power grabbing to do anything of substantial good as HM has suggested. It takes very little time for Thai people to 'forgive and forget', even if it is a massive flood. And then 5, 10, 20 years down the line when there is another massive flood, the whole cycle will repeat itself.

A year from now, all of these grand plans will be shelved, the country's government will again be too busy money and power grabbing to do anything of substantial good as HM has suggested. It takes very little time for Thai people to 'forgive and forget', even if it is a massive flood. And then 5, 10, 20 years down the line when there is another massive flood, the whole cycle will repeat itself.

Tom,

Well said.

The difference of opinion I have is Thais here in Isaan are like elephants, they never forget. Forgiveness can be purchased, temporarily. Hopefully Bangkokians and those in the central are a little closer to what you say. I suppose any populist government can only try to please all the people some of the time. Unfortunate but true that Thai governments usually end up only having to please such a select few. If history does repeat itself, then well and good, at least we will all know what to expect, TIT.

Asked whether people in Don Muang were dissatisfied with the government's assistance measures, Yingluck said the district was under the jurisdiction of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, though the central authorities were doing their best to support them.

I thought the Disaster Act put her in charge of everything?

Like the bit where she said it was the responsibility of the BMA, am sure the Governor is gonna hit that ball back over the net in her direction.

He could refer her to...

Posted 2011-10-21

Disaster warning issued for Bangkok

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Friday issued the disaster warning for Bangkok, consolidating power for flood control and drainage.

Yingluck invoked the 2007 Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Act to oversee flood control

Posted 2011-10-22

Thai PM invokes natural disaster law

Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Friday assumed powers under the natural disaster law giving her full authority to implement a nationwide disaster relief plan

The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Act gives the prime minister full authority over state officials around the country. Those who refuse to follow orders can be prosecuted for negligence of duty, according to the report

I think the Government does have the necessary powers, but the BMA remains in charge of the city and has a key role.

Incidentally Abhisit in the last few days gave an interview to a foreign journalist (sorry can't find the link) in which he talked a great deal of sense.Not for the first time I wished he was in charge at this time, not least for his excellent communication skills (I don't just mean his facility in English).The problem is that he is such a charmless figure, lacking in magnanimity and generous spiritedness.His whole tone was political and tetchy.If one didn't know, there would be no clue that Bangkok is run by his own Democrat party.

I think the Government does have the necessary powers, but the BMA remains in charge of the city and has a key role.

Incidentally Abhisit in the last few days gave an interview to a foreign journalist (sorry can't find the link) in which he talked a great deal of sense.Not for the first time I wished he was in charge at this time, not least for his excellent communication skills (I don't just mean his facility in English).The problem is that he is such a charmless figure, lacking in magnanimity and generous spiritedness.His whole tone was political and tetchy.If one didn't know, there would be no clue that Bangkok is run by his own Democrat party.

What did he say that had relevance to who was running Bangkok?

What did he say that had relevance to who was running Bangkok?

I will look again for the link, but the interview referred to the problems and mismanagement of the flooding situation in Bangkok with exclusive reference to the responsibility of the government.Not a whisper that Bangkok is under the Democrat Party's political control including the Mayor and the BMA.

I will look again for the link, but the interview referred to the problems and mismanagement of the flooding situation in Bangkok with exclusive reference to the responsibility of the government.Not a whisper that Bangkok is under the Democrat Party's political control including the Mayor and the BMA.

What has the BMA mismanaged?

In accordance with the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Act, while the Bangkok Governor is assigned the title of Local Director and is placed in charge of responding to the disaster in his area, the Prime Minister is assigned by the act the title of Commander-in-Chief and is in charge on a nation-wide basis. She is empowered to over-ride any decision made by a Local Director.

such as:

PM steps up control

The Nation

October 22, 2011

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday overrode the mandate of the city administration by invoking the disaster law to take over the supervision of flood control and drainage in Bangkok.

Under Article 31 of the 2550 Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Act, the central government has in effect sidelined the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration in terms of dealing with floods.

"The written order as mandated by the disaster law would be clear for all relevant agencies to comply with in uniformity, such as the issue of opening sluice gates to regulate the water flow," Yingluck said.

==============

another example is her opening of Klong Sam Wa water gate.

Edited by Buchholz

Nothing at all, absolutely perfect.No political games have been played and every Sukhumband decision has been in the interests of the nation as a whole.Satisfied now?

Actually I didn't talk about BMA's mismanagement or the errors of the Mayor, simply that Abhisit overlooked the awkward fact that his party controls the city.

In accordance with the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Act, while the Bangkok Governor is assigned the title of Local Director and is placed in charge of responding to the disaster in his area, the Prime Minister is assigned by the act the title of Commander-in-Chief and is in charge on a nation-wide basis. She is empowered to over-ride any decision made by a Local Director.

This is exactly the point I'm making.An outsider listening to Abhisit's interview would have no idea that the Democrats are in charge in Bangkok, subject as is pointed out to the PM having final say.That's all, no political points being made here.

Sorry I still can't find the link but will keep looking.

Nothing at all, absolutely perfect.No political games have been played and every Sukhumband decision has been in the interests of the nation as a whole.Satisfied now?

Actually I didn't talk about BMA's mismanagement or the errors of the Mayor, simply that Abhisit overlooked the awkward fact that his party controls the city.

Sukhumband isn't responsible for the "nation as a whole". He is the governor of Bangkok. He is doing the same as Yingluck:- Protecting Bangkok.

You talked about "the problems and mismanagement of the flooding situation in Bangkok" and then said "Not a whisper that Bangkok is under the Democrat Party's political control". That is implying that he should have linked the BMA to the problems and mismanagement.

Why would it be awkward that Abhisit "overlooked" that his party controls the city? Since enabling the Disaster Act, Yingluck has control of the management of the floods even in Bangkok.

edit: But anyway, hopefully you can find the link so we can discuss what was actually said.

Edited by whybother

I liked this part

"Yingluck has been begging people to stop destroying dykes because it will only make matters worse in other areas.

"I beg for understanding and am asking you not to destroy the barricades. It will not reduce the water in your area, but will instead make floods worse in other areas."

How can it make matters worse in other areas if it does not lower the water the dykes are holding back. Has she repealed the law of gravity.

Secondly what other areas is it going to make matters worse in. The ones where there is no water now and her handlers have their money ?

Sukhumband isn't responsible for the "nation as a whole". He is the governor of Bangkok. He is doing the same as Yingluck:- Protecting Bangkok.

You talked about "the problems and mismanagement of the flooding situation in Bangkok" and then said "Not a whisper that Bangkok is under the Democrat Party's political control". That is implying that he should have linked the BMA to the problems and mismanagement.

Why would it be awkward that Abhisit "overlooked" that his party controls the city? Since enabling the Disaster Act, Yingluck has control of the management of the floods even in Bangkok.

Incredible.I thought you were one of the more reasonable critics of the government.Turns out otherwise.If you really don't understand why your comments are so misguided, I can't help you.Nobody's denying where ultimate authority lies by the way.

Anyway I found the link.

Lets pray that some good will come out of all of this, for the future of Thailand and all Thais.

Why should we pray.... corruption here is Never Ending... Let the place destroy itself and start again.... The Devil found a home in Thailand..!

edit: But anyway, hopefully you can find the link so we can discuss what was actually said.

Makes no difference what was said. The fact is Yingluck is in control of Bangkok. She is the one calling the shots. She has the power to put some one else in the position to follow her brothers wishes. What is so important about the party the person she puts in charge belongs to?

Am I missing some thing?

To me it looks like a thinly disguised way to discredit the democrats.

This is exactly the point I'm making.An outsider listening to Abhisit's interview would have no idea that the Democrats are in charge in Bangkok, subject as is pointed out to the PM having final say.That's all, no political points being made here.

Sorry I still can't find the link but will keep looking.

You don't need the link. The current governor of Bangkok is a Democrat, yes, but as the PM signed the Natural Disaster Act as numerous links have pointed out, Yingluck has usurped the power from the Democrat controlled governor. PTP are ingenious at putting blame, a skill that boded well with their role as opposition. Now that THEY are in power, perhaps it is time to learn that along with power comes responsibility and as PM the buck stops at her desk.

Any attempt to play the blame game then is just a reflection that she is better suited as a role in opposition and does not have the necessary skills to lead.

As a leader, you don't "negotiate" with mobs trying to destroy or control the sluice-gates. You protect them and prosecute violators. That is why there have been calls for emergency decree, because the police are either unwilling or incapable of enforcing the law.

In all of the scenes of flood relief efforts I have seen on Thai television, I have yet to see a police officer with their uniform wet.

PM Heeds HM's King Advice on Flood Prevention

The prime minister says the government will heed His Majesty the King's advice on building floodways as part of the long-term flood resolution plan.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has stated that the government is prepared to follow His Majesty the King's recommendation to build a floodway to handle future inundations.

Yingluck said she has assigned the water management panel to study His Majesty the King's advice and to draft a long-term flood prevention plan.

The prime minister said she has instructed provincial governors to exercise their power under Article 31 of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Act if there are any attempts to destroy levees built by the authorities.

Yingluck admitted that the flood crisis is a severe natural disaster, and noted that the government has faced challenges to coordinate with related agencies and local administrative bodies, but she maintained that she will try her best to resolve the problem.

Elsewhere, Police Chief Police General Priewpan Damapong and Deputy Governor of the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority, Wisit Wongwiwat, inspected the sandbag levee built the Prapa Canal.

The action spurred from yesterday's report on the removal of sandbags by a group of distressed locals from the Wat Phai Khiew Community, causing floodwater to flow into the Prapa Canal.

Community Chief Thaworn Bunkhum insisted that none of the locals attempted to remove sandbags and suggested the levee would not be able to cope with the flood, as it is only 15 centimeters high.

Wisit said the levee will be strengthened to prevent floodwater from gushing into the Prapa Canal and maintained that his agency has no plan to scale down the production base of tap water, but admitted that the amount of chlorine remains high.

Meanwhile, Preiwphan said his agency is attempting to create understanding among the people not to destroy the levee, but he declined to determine whether their actions are a crime.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-04

footer_n.gif

PM Heeds HM's King Advice on Flood Prevention

The prime minister says the government will heed His Majesty the King's advice on building floodways as part of the long-term flood resolution plan.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has stated that the government is prepared to follow His Majesty the King's recommendation to build a floodway to handle future inundations.

Yingluck said she has assigned the water management panel to study His Majesty the King's advice and to draft a long-term flood prevention plan.

The prime minister said she has instructed provincial governors to exercise their power under Article 31 of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Act if there are any attempts to destroy levees built by the authorities.

Yingluck admitted that the flood crisis is a severe natural disaster, and noted that the government has faced challenges to coordinate with related agencies and local administrative bodies, but she maintained that she will try her best to resolve the problem.

Elsewhere, Police Chief Police General Priewpan Damapong and Deputy Governor of the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority, Wisit Wongwiwat, inspected the sandbag levee built the Prapa Canal.

The action spurred from yesterday's report on the removal of sandbags by a group of distressed locals from the Wat Phai Khiew Community, causing floodwater to flow into the Prapa Canal.

Community Chief Thaworn Bunkhum insisted that none of the locals attempted to remove sandbags and suggested the levee would not be able to cope with the flood, as it is only 15 centimeters high.

Wisit said the levee will be strengthened to prevent floodwater from gushing into the Prapa Canal and maintained that his agency has no plan to scale down the production base of tap water, but admitted that the amount of chlorine remains high.

Meanwhile, Preiwphan said his agency is attempting to create understanding among the people not to destroy the levee, but he declined to determine whether their actions are a crime.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-11-04

footer_n.gif

You can't lower the river--then raise the land, no one has mentioned it !!!! I must be out of touch with this idea.

H.M. has suggested re-digging out new canal waterways--GOOD, and use the soil to raise the land both sides of the river and carry on over time to the rest of Bkk, there are plenty of hills and high ground to scrape the soil off that have been de forested. Just on low ground dig out massive craters for landfil tip sites-and use that soil to fill in parts of Bkk, even if you can make vital industrial, and safe lowcost housing for locals---lets get to work on this put the unemployed non skilled workers in action--the cost would be far less than money suggested be spent aftercare.

I believe if you are going to blame anyone it should be the election committee .

We've heard from the dam administrators that the dams were not full at the beginning of July and then we had a lot of rain through July and then August and September filling the dams.

They didn't release waters when they should have and this coincided with the election aftermath where, amongst other things, due to frivolous yellow shirt attempts to get Yingluk impeached the new government were prevented from taking office for over a month. The democrats were notionally in charge. Barnham and his party controlled the agriculture ministry responsible for the dams and irrigation and they still do!

The new government was running through its policies with the electorate and nobody was really paying attention to the impact of the flooding.

So blame Pheu Thai. Blame the democrats. Blame Chart Thai. Blame the water authorities. This is a perfect storm.

I point out that there was a power vacuum at the crucial time so I blame the Election committee as well.

Saw the british ambassador on TV last night and he talked a lot of sense and believes the thai people, working together will overcome this . Things are coming back slowly. Tesco's etc are restocking. New supply chains. The water contines to come. We're dry but for how much longer who knows.

This will happen again next year so now they are going to have to undertake major works. Like the BTS and airport major works have to be carried out. The future lies with the khlongs.

Lets pray that some good will come out of all of this, for the future of Thailand and all Thais.

Why should we pray.... corruption here is Never Ending... Let the place destroy itself and start again.... The Devil found a home in Thailand..!

What a happy camper you are.........

So, HM gave this (quite sensible) advice after flooding in 1980, 1995 and now in 2011. Everyone said yes & then ignored him. Does anyone want to bet that they will agree to do it and then ignore this advice again in 2025?<_<

The problem is, Democrats or Thaksin, this country is run by a bunch of knobs!

Incredible.I thought you were one of the more reasonable critics of the government.Turns out otherwise.If you really don't understand why your comments are so misguided, I can't help you.Nobody's denying where ultimate authority lies by the way.

Anyway I found the link.

Which comments are misguided? Does Yingluck have control or not?

The interview was interesting. Abhisit talked about the government "being clear" about what it was doing, which has been the major complaint by nearly everyone. And not a problem that Sukhumband has. He also mentioned that Yingluck has the power, so use it.

I believe if you are going to blame anyone it should be the election committee .

We've heard from the dam administrators that the dams were not full at the beginning of July and then we had a lot of rain through July and then August and September filling the dams.

They didn't release waters when they should have and this coincided with the election aftermath where, amongst other things, due to frivolous yellow shirt attempts to get Yingluk impeached the new government were prevented from taking office for over a month. The democrats were notionally in charge. Barnham and his party controlled the agriculture ministry responsible for the dams and irrigation and they still do!

The new government was running through its policies with the electorate and nobody was really paying attention to the impact of the flooding.

So blame Pheu Thai. Blame the democrats. Blame Chart Thai. Blame the water authorities. This is a perfect storm.

I point out that there was a power vacuum at the crucial time so I blame the Election committee as well.

Saw the british ambassador on TV last night and he talked a lot of sense and believes the thai people, working together will overcome this . Things are coming back slowly. Tesco's etc are restocking. New supply chains. The water contines to come. We're dry but for how much longer who knows.

This will happen again next year so now they are going to have to undertake major works. Like the BTS and airport major works have to be carried out. The future lies with the khlongs.

The election committee had 30 days to review all complaints. The new government were not going to be in office until the start of August regardless of who complained. The rains from the tropical storms didn't start until late August. The same party was in charge of the dams through all of this time.