What Is The Better Way To Travel From Bkk To Phuket?

eddyxwb

The views from Doi Suthep

walking around the old city

visiting the night market

enjoying the countryside

enjoying the great northern Hospitality

the great northern food.

Why go to Bangkok if ur from a city, after all its only another city, shopping malls, traffic, restaurants etc etc.

IN fact why go anywhere?? :whistling:

The contrast between Bangkok, Chaing Mai and then Samui and or Phuket is night and day

enjoying the countryside

the great northern food.

Why go to Bangkok if ur from a city, after all its only another city, shopping malls, traffic, restaurants etc etc.

The contrast between Bangkok, Chaing Mai and then Samui and or Phuket is night and day

The question was:

What does Chang Mai offer that Bangkok doesn't .. in terms of in the city?

Your reply ...

enjoying the countryside

the great northern food.

1 - Not in the city and he will have great views, waterfalls and mountains available in Koh Samui

2 - He is already going to Ayutthaya and Bangkok also has an old city

3 - Bangkok has numerous and HUGE night markets

4 - Not in the city and IMO much nicer country side to explore in Koh Samui

5 - silly ... especially considering the number of northerners in Bangkok

6 - there is no food in Chang Mia that cannot be got in Bangkok easily

Again, my point being is the OP has stated he is concerned with price of getting between different locations and says he wants to go to Phuket, Bangkok, Ayutthaya, Ko Samui, Chang Mia and "other cities" with his family in tow on this 3- week vacation. Unless it was a much longer vacation I would recommend not wasting time on trains and buses when cheap airfare is available and because his time is limited he may want to consider nixing some places off the trip to really enjoy and explore the places he does visit. And if he does decide to do this then Chang Mia (the city) would be the best bet to nix as "the city" offers little more than Bangkok and Bangkok actually offers a lot more sights and experiences.

I could not even imagine being able to enjoy any of these places, except Ayutthya which can be enjoyed in a day (minus the 5 hour round trip train), given such a short time to see all and then adding your recommendation of spending 12 to 14 hours on various trains and/or buses to travel between locations.

Edited by Nisa

enjoying the countryside

the great northern food.

The question was:

What does Chang Mai offer that Bangkok doesn't .. in terms of in the city?

Your reply ...

enjoying the countryside

the great northern food.

1 - Not in the city and he will have great views, waterfalls and mountains available in Koh Samui

2 - He is already going to Ayutthaya and Bangkok also has an old city

3 - Bangkok has numerous and HUGE night markets

4 - Not in the city and IMO much nicer country side to explore in Koh Samui

5 - silly ... especially considering the number of northerners in Bangkok

6 - there is no food in Chang Mia that cannot be got in Bangkok easily

Again, my point being is the OP has stated he is concerned with price of getting between different locations and says he wants to go to Phuket, Bangkok, Ayutthaya, Ko Samui, Chang Mia and "other cities" with his family in tow on this 3- week vacation. Unless it was a much longer vacation I would recommend not wasting time on trains and buses when cheap airfare is available and because his time is limited he may want to consider nixing some places off the trip to really enjoy and explore the places he does visit. And if he does decide to do this then Chang Mia (the city) would be the best bet to nix as "the city" offers little more than Bangkok and Bangkok actually offers a lot more sights and experiences.

I could not even imagine being able to enjoy any of these places, except Ayutthya which can be enjoyed in a day (minus the 5 hour round trip train), given such a short time to see all and then adding your recommendation of spending 12 to 14 hours on various trains and/or buses to travel between locations.

I agree mostly Nisa. Altough I like the slower lifstyle in the northern provinces.

I have been to Chiang Mai before and I do agree that there are not much there so will see. What other places that I should be consider if I nixed Chiang Mai off my list beside Phuket, Ayuthaya, Ko Samui, and Bangkok?

You guys are great!

I have been to Chiang Mai before and I do agree that there are not much there so will see. What other places that I should be consider if I nixed Chiang Mai off my list beside Phuket, Ayuthaya, Ko Samui, and Bangkok?

You guys are great!

That depends what are you interested in? How many people? How old?What budget? Hotels, low budget, middle class or topclass?

Three weeks in Thailand literally fly.

Yours sincerely, JeanElie.

Jean,

Our intrerested are sight seeing, eating, and shopping. There will be four to six of us altogether between 20 to 40, mostly my nieces, sister, brothers. With this economy, we are trying to save as much as we can but the main thing is to have lots of fun vacationing.

Any recommendation or suggestion?

Edited by eddyxwb

Jean,

Our intrerested are sight seeing, eating, and shopping. There will be four to six of us altogether between 20 to 40, mostly my nieces, sister, brothers. With this economy, we are trying to save as much as we can but the main thing is to have lots of fun vacationing.

Consider too what kind of trip you and everyone want.

I used to be very content visiting many new places (in the US) and barely getting out of the car. In fact, I sometimes used to just take a picture from the car, especially if it was just some historical place that wasn't anything new to me beyond its specific significance.

Now, I am more into going places and experiencing things.

Also, don't forget you will want some days of relaxing too. 3-weeks will go by fast but it is also a long time to be hopping from sight to sight.

I think you can spend a week in Bangkok and be fine. The temples along the river can be done in a day and it is fun to take the ferry to see them. You may even want to avoid the big temple as it is usually crowded and you need to be dressed correctly as well as pay admission for everyone. There are a number of smaller temples that are great to check out. You can also visit China town on this day.

The night market(s) can be done any day.

You will also spend a day in Ayutthaya.

You might want to visit Chatuchak Week-end Market too and go to both Chatuchak Park as well as the much huger and quieter Suan Wachira Benchathat / Queen Sirikit Park which is less known. Both are in walking distance.

There are so many other places to visit and see too depending on your interests. Safari World? River Market(s)? Mall(s) ...

I would also recommend you stay at least a week (and make it your last) at the beaches. So, if you do get your self tired during the previous 2 weeks seeing all the sights then this last week+ will really be much more relaxing and truly feel like a vacation from the world.

The kids are probably going to also get a kick (I still do) going to Sukimvit or Silom and checking out all the cheap crap the vendors are selling. Also if you go to Silom then you can go to Lumpini Park and feed the fish and turtles as well as watch the huge monitor lizards.

We were talking about travel ... keep in mind you will do well to take a taxi most of the time because of the number of people you have. It will be tight but the rate (CHEAP) is the same as if you have 1 person or 6. The kids may want to check out the Sky Train and Subway but you will be paying more using these to get around. Even on the longer trips (Pattaya / Ayuttaya) you may find a taxi the cheapest. Also, it may be cheaper if you do stuff on the river to hire one of the small boats than take the ferry.

if there are no more than 5 of ya, I suggest when u fly to Phuket, After you spend a few days hanging put at the beach, rent a car, Drive down to Krabi, and stop at the Monkey temple on the way, stay the night at the beach than then next day drive down to Ko Lanta (stop at the tiger temple and climb the 1,300 steps to the top for a fantastic view)an spend a few days, take a boat trip out to an island ( if possible , July can be rough seas)

ON the way back take the road up and travel to Samui and spend a few days before ur return to Phuket. You can get cars for under 1,500 baht/day so that makes it a cheap way to travel. You can see alot an enjoy ursleve alot as well. Easy to drive down here in the south and very little traffic. 10-14 days for ur trip and the rest for Bangkok and Ayutthaya.

Thanks for all of your inputs and I appreciated greatly. We wants to spend couple days in Phuket only and the rest will probably be in Bangkok.

Semper, you are right. It may be much easier flying to Phuket. It may cost little more but I think it is better to sit in a plane for one hour rather then ten hours in the train.

I will discuss this with my families and see what is best for us. There might be four or five persons altogether in this trip so I am trying to gather some info of which direction is best suited for us.

How about a compromise. Book a private tour van with driver. Should be about Bt 3000/day + fuel. See the sights, stop when you feel like it, see the country at a more casual pace. More comfy than a bus, lots cheaper than air. Door to door service. Help with baggage.

With the taxi mafia hassles in Phuket, might be cheaper to have a private taxi service.

if there are no more than 5 of ya, I suggest when u fly to Phuket, After you spend a few days hanging put at the beach, rent a car, Drive down to Krabi, and stop at the Monkey temple on the way, stay the night at the beach than then next day drive down to Ko Lanta (stop at the tiger temple and climb the 1,300 steps to the top for a fantastic view)an spend a few days, take a boat trip out to an island ( if possible , July can be rough seas)

ON the way back take the road up and travel to Samui and spend a few days before ur return to Phuket. You can get cars for under 1,500 baht/day so that makes it a cheap way to travel. You can see alot an enjoy ursleve alot as well. Easy to drive down here in the south and very little traffic. 10-14 days for ur trip and the rest for Bangkok and Ayutthaya.

I agree 100% ... I live in Bangkok and it is a great place to visit and experience but I would spend most of the trip at the beach/islands and really recommend doing this after Bangkok. Okay, you can give yourself a couple days on the way back to stay in Bangkok again but I really think the trip south is going to be the real "vacation" . Don't get me wrong there are many experiences to be had in Bangkok and it will really add to your entire vacation experience because it will be such a contrast to the islands but I just think there are few places on earth that match the beauty of some of the islands in Thailand.

Jean,

Bangkok first that is the best way as Nisa told you already and eventually the last day(s) to. Bangkok a lot to visit. First look for a hotel in Khao San area. Easy to find a decent room for 1000bht or less with double occupancy and abf inclusive. This area is favorable as Nisa told already because it is nearby the national museum, Wat Pra Kaeo, the amulet market, wat Po, Wat Arun and lot of other places worth to visit. A lot can be done by foot. It is close to the river also. It is nice to see the riverlife from the sharing rivertaxi. For less then1/2$ you can go up or down the river and see the life around the vein of BKK. There is a pier not far from the amuletmarket.

Bangkok is a paradise for your tongue. 80.000 restaurants and some moving around the city. You find al styles of food in this wordly capital. Just discover.

Shoppingparadise Thailand. In BKK The nightmarkets are attractive. The chatuchak weekendmarket starting at 09.00 is a must for shoppers. May be best at the end of your trip because the suitcase risk to get loaded. For clothes there is the pratunam market and the 2 towers. For pc and related articles do not miss Panthip plaza. Do not go for diamond and other stone factories. There are huge shoppings as Paragon, Central Ploenchit-Chidlom, and others impressive and wonderfull foodcourts. In Paragon downfloor there is a huge foodcourt and in central Chidlom the 7TH floor foodloft (they have wonderfull tom Yam kung here).

Avoid Tuk-Tuk in BKK as well as Phuket.

Just discover, think positive and keep smiling. You will sure have the time of you life in excitingly beautiful Thailand.

Concerning Phuket and the southern area I am sure that you can get some more good tips from PhuketRichard.

Enjoy,

JeanElie.

Thanks so much for the great advices and I appreciated it very much. This will help me plan our trip now that I know what our expectation are.

What about some good/great and inexpensive restaurants in BKK and Phuket? Are the any food court/mall I should explore beside street vendors? We love Thai foods and have no problem eating it. Last time I was there, I mostly ate at street vendors.

Unless u enjoy being around backpackers and thai's that are out to get as much as they can avoid the Khao San area.

Ur better off finding a decent hotel for 1,200-1,800 off of Sukumvit road. (check out Agoda.com) Easy access to sky train and taxi's 24 hours/day and plenty of inexpensive to expensive places to eat and shopping galore, Chatuchakon Sat /sunday. Pratuman for clothes, MBK for everything. Head to the Jewelry trade center off the end of Silom for some deals on gems/jewelry and also the silver shops nearby. Boat trip is a good idea and u can grab the boat at the end of the sky train silom road exit

Bangkok and Phuket have plenty of shopping malls but as they all offer the same goods u can get back home why bother.

Best food court is under Paragon. Great seafood rests off of Sumumvit

Edited by phuketrichard