What Are The 'Golden Rules' Of Advice For Tourists?

snamos

I fall into this category but we are far and few between.

I'm talking about the guys who came for a holiday and never left and with minimal means of income.

They sell up back home only to become disillusioned with their poor choices in business (bars for example) and women (bars again), hence the posters with that 'don't come to phuket' attitude.

I guess its easier to live day to day and blame the island for poor choices rather than themselves but if that's the way people deal with their misery, all the power to them.

You can't tell me that a new victim doesn't arrive everyday.

You mean the guys who have never owned or run a successful business in there home country

Come here and invest 200000 to 2M baht in a business they cannot possibly own and think they are going to make a good living from it

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You mean the guys who have never owned or run a successful business in there home country

Come here and invest 200000 to 2M baht in a business they cannot possibly own and think they are going to make a good living from it

Exactly. One gets off every plane from Australia.

I looked back at ricksters posts and they are mostly phuket related so its obvious he lives here, I just don't understand if people are unhappy here, why stay and gripe?

I have met guys with this mindset and they are just plain miserable but have invested to the point that if they went home, they would be in the housing commision.

sad really.

Good thread snamos, and yes, as another poster once mentioned BTB is addicted.

My advice for the day: when riding the motorbike don't panic when Somchai is riding in your lane in the opposite direction, move a little closer to the lane divider and check the rearview for upcoming speeding cement truck.

Good thread snamos, and yes, as another poster once mentioned BTB is addicted.

My advice for the day: when riding the motorbike don't panic when Somchai is riding in your lane in the opposite direction, move a little closer to the lane divider and check the rearview for upcoming speeding cement truck.

Im actually suprised the thread lasted this long...normally when they start getting good they get shut downrolleyes.gif

#1 for me: Learn to recognise the 'split second delay' when asking any question. (i.e. taxi, tuk tuks, restaurants etc), It means one of the following:

a) They don't know, but don't want to admit.

B) They are sizing you up for a rip off.

IMO: The split second delay is the biggest tell that helps me observe if I am dealing with a cheat or someone stupid. In both cases saying thank-you and walking away anyway is the best option.

Sick buffalos are a myth.

They cannot be most bar ladies have at least one

V few tourists get attached to the local women. They may enjoy the 'service' provided, but only a small minority are stupid enough to believe they are 'hansum man' and end up in trouble.

Most tourists have a great time and, as long as they avoid the jet skis and motorbikes (unless they are used to riding them at home) - will be just fine and have a wonderful holiday.

The beaches are great, everybody is friendly (a tourist need not realise why) and the weather is a dam_n sight better than back at home!

Good thread :)

here are my 10

1. Get the best travelinsurance available at home and carry a copy on you with a copy of your passport. Gets you quick and good medical if needed

2 As anywhere in the world, do not wear expensive watches or gold or shit, It attracts attention. Carry no more than 20.000 baht in cash, split it on two pockets

3. Read up on culture and the countries values. Learn the currency exchange rate. Takes 30 minutes on the plane.

4. Agree on price every time you enter a tuk-tuk, and always tips 20 baht extra even if you feel cheated on high price for short distance. Everyone happy. Avoid rental bikes if you are not a daily rider back home

5. Do not get into an argument, smile and be polite

6. Learn a few Thai phrases. Maio kap means no thanks, and it does work even with the Nepalese tailors. English timeshare sellers understand f-ck off

7. get out of Patong as many days as possible. Phuket is beatiful when you leave the ghetto

8. Try all the food you fancy. Food poisining is usually caused by lack of hygiene when cooking farang food, so Thai food is often safer.

9. Do not believe anything a girl, Thai or farang, tell you, but pretend you do

10. Enjoy it. Phuket is wonderfull :)

V few tourists get attached to the local women. They may enjoy the 'service' provided, but only a small minority are stupid enough to believe they are 'hansum man' and end up in trouble.

Most tourists have a great time and, as long as they avoid the jet skis and motorbikes (unless they are used to riding them at home) - will be just fine and have a wonderful holiday.

The beaches are great, everybody is friendly (a tourist need not realise why) and the weather is a dam_n sight better than back at home!

Probably one sucker on every plane landing here.

More likely than you think.

2 yes have a good time

3 do some research about Phuket area or Thailand and its history.

4 Don't stand out, blend in as much as you can

5 Yelling and screaming Swear words get you nothing but Trouble

6 All bar girls are single ? Wrong

7 Enjoy the Thai people LOS

8 Never ever rent a jet ski, that's trouble. and will cost you 30,000 bht min.

1. Have a good time--- you're on holiday

Your advice is spot on but after having a guest house for 3years ( Disaster) and trying to to advise my guests to take care of themselves etc i soon realised that some people just dont listen and after a few beers it.s Happy days are here again some people just have to make mistakes to learn just as i did with the guest house i cant blame anybody i am a lot lighter in the pocket but i still love this place.

I'll say this just the once....

Read Thaivisa rule 21) Not to discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

I have removed quite a number of posts that discuss moderation. Any further posts WILL result in warnings and suspensions.

This topic was titled "What Are The 'Golden Rules' Of Advice For Tourists?"

That's just fine, but this topic will not be side tracked into a rant about Western vs Thai women. Any more posts like that will be removed without notice.

Seems like all the previous posts on this subject will need to be weeded out to stop even more posts. Doing it now.

Burping out loud after a meal shows you really enjoyed it.

Be sure to belch into a megaphone if you have one.

8. Phuket is the perfect location to meet nationalities from all over the globe. If you've never met, for example, an Australian, the island provides ample choice to meet these enchanting folk and be regaled by tales of their own beautiful country, at least 100 years of recorded history (really), their prized flannelette shirt collection, cult of the Bogan, etc. Compliment your treasured holiday experiences to Phuket with such; holiday + education, gotta be a bargain int hese tough times.

8. Phuket is the perfect location to meet nationalities from all over the globe. If you've never met, for example, an Australian, the island provides ample choice to meet these enchanting folk and be regaled by tales of their own beautiful country, at least 100 years of recorded history (really), their prized flannelette shirt collection, cult of the Bogan, etc. Compliment your treasured holiday experiences to Phuket with such; holiday + education, gotta be a bargain int hese tough times.

Never a truer word spoken.

phuket is piling these package deal bogans fresh out of Perth.

High season is here and it's summer back home so we are spared until next rainy season.