Trip Itinerary For Young Couple

Arkadia

Hi :) I have a trip to Thailand planned for four days from now, and I'm having a mild panic as my laptop died yesterday, taking with it the pages of notes I had written about destinations, accomodation and other Thailand related info. My partner and I planned to go for Thailand for a month and just 'wing it', but not wing it so much that we don't have a clue where we're going from Phuket (our arrival destination). Helpfully enough I barely recall anything I researched and have no idea where to go from here.

So I come to you, dear ThaiVisa forum goers, begging for help. Can anyone tell me what cities/provinces/islands/whathaveyou you would recommend a couple (21-25), based on the following information:

-We're looking to do a mix of relaxing and experiencing Thai culture.

-Nice beaches are important to me and I'd like to experience as much cultural difference as I can (although I'm a big fan of flushing toilets. But whatev.).

-We're fairly well traveled and aren't much interested in the 'touristy' sides of Thailand (but not averse if it's worth experiencing)

-We're social but don't typically go out of our way to meet strangers, we probably won't be doing too much clubbing/social drinking.

-I'd like to go snorkeling and possibly diving at least once (never done either before) but my boyfriend is what he refers to as a 'land animal' - any place for great snorkeling that will still have something interesting for him to do on/near that beach?

We're staying for a month (flexible return date) and want to see everything worth seeing, but I also want some relaxation time and don't want to travel around tooo much, so I'm thinking maybe 5 big destination changes will be good (but I might be wrong!). We land in Phuket and it's open-ended from there. I know I want to see Chiang Mai, but other than that, I'm gunning for seaside destinations/islands. So can any of you kind folk offer any destination advice based on our interests/timeframe? Feel free to offer a complete itinerary, I will actually love you forever. :)

Thanks <3

Agree with Bkk James. I would add Similan islands( top 10 dive sites on the world. Good snorkelling too).

If you go to Chiang mai I would stay in Nimminhemin rd rather than near the town centre. It is a student hangout and a much nicer area.

Kanchanaburi is worth a look too, especially Erawan falls.

Enjoy!

Great recommendations. Phi Phi can be a bit of a tourist trap. If you want some isolation, I've heard there are some places around the other parts of the island that offer this.

In CM, rent a car and do the Pai-Mae Hong Son-CM loop. Easy to drive and beautiful country. Try the rafting near Pai. Do a trek to see the hill tribes when you are in MHS. You can even do an overnight one, which is real fun.

The golden triangle is pretty cool also. You can scoot across to Laos for a beer without a visa there. Or do a day trip to Myanmar from Mae Sai. Interesting temple to see there.

A fun trip is a boat from Tha Ton to Chiang Rai. TT is a nice, small town. You can stay right on the river. Nice boat trip from there back to CR.

OMG-do these young kids have lost any common sense? Never heard or seen that old standby used by millions of people before you: a GUIDEBOOK.

Can even be bought for less as 2nd hand here in Thaild.

BTW; at least 50% of all Qs posted here on tourism are more easy and better solved too by opening a guidebook as trusting these posters here.

Once landing in Phuket get to the Nai Harn Rawai area, if you can wing it, get to Nai Harn Lagoon and at the start of Soi Naya which is a road to the right after the reggae bar, there are some bungalows there. Ao Sane and Yanui beach are o.k. for snorkeling. Also, big Loy Kratong party set to happen right at Nai Harn Beach.

Get seafood on the beach at Rawai beach, you can eat on mats in the sand, very nice.

Get a boat to Phi Phi, stay in outer areas, not in Tonsai/Phi Phi Don Village. I use a company called Andaman Wave Master. They then can take you onto Koh Lanta. Inexpensive options on Khlong Dao beach, Kantiang is also very nice. Couple days there then boat to Koh Lipe or Koh Muk (Mook).

Get back to Krabi Airport to fly to CM. Don't stay at The Downtown Mansion, seems they have a problem making ghosts.

Have fun !!!

I've been to Phi Phi four time in my twenty years of living here. I got food poisoning there twice! Besides that, it's simply a tacky tourist trap. There are literally hundreds of day trippers in addition to the hundreds of longer stay tourists on Phi Phi EVERY day. It's a dam_n zoo. You couldn't pay me to go out there ever again.

Environmentally-speaking, it's a disaster.

Phi Phi is a must see! but dont stay in the centre of town where all the party animal backpackers are. When the ferry pulls into the wharf look left and up against the cliff there are 3 bungalows for 1000bht per night approx and its right on the beach and quite at night and your able to hire peddle bikes to get to the waterfront restaurants or just cycle around town. Lots of dive shops

Leave Bangkok for last depending on the floods but it would be a shame not to include this crazy city in your trip.

If you do Bangkok you may as well do Pattaya :rolleyes: only 2 hours away

I've been to Phi Phi four time in my twenty years of living here. I got food poisoning there twice! Besides that, it's simply a tacky tourist trap. There are literally hundreds of day trippers in addition to the hundreds of longer stay tourists on Phi Phi EVERY day. It's a dam_n zoo. You couldn't pay me to go out there ever again.

To add to this I have never ever met such impolite Thais in Thailand. I guess after dealing with hordes of "The Beach" backpacker crazies they have become ultra jaded.

Phuket, Krabi, Lanta, PhiPhi will keep you in the beach. Then fly to Chiang Mai from there - avoid Bangkok at the moment due to the flooding. In Chiang Mai you can skip over to Chiang Rai etc.

Thanks so much for your advice - all familiar names I'd had written down and now forgotten.

Sounds like you will be arriving just before Loy Krathong - not sure what happens in Phuket.

http://www.tatnews.o...11/nov/5229.asp

Thank you for the heads up about that - I almost changed my travel dates to a bit later but the festival sounds amazing so I'm making sure to arrive when the festivities start!

Agree with Bkk James. I would add Similan islands( top 10 dive sites on the world. Good snorkelling too).

If you go to Chiang mai I would stay in Nimminhemin rd rather than near the town centre. It is a student hangout and a much nicer area.

Kanchanaburi is worth a look too, especially Erawan falls.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the additional recommendations - I checked out Similan Islands and they look amazing! I had not heard of them before :) Also thanks for the tip about Nimminhemin Rd - I hate trying to work out what the best area to stay is, you have saved me a headache. I really hope I can check out Kanchanaburi; it's the other way I'm headed but I'm going to try to get there at the end of my trip, before I fly out of Phuket.

Great recommendations. Phi Phi can be a bit of a tourist trap. If you want some isolation, I've heard there are some places around the other parts of the island that offer this.

In CM, rent a car and do the Pai-Mae Hong Son-CM loop. Easy to drive and beautiful country. Try the rafting near Pai. Do a trek to see the hill tribes when you are in MHS. You can even do an overnight one, which is real fun.

The golden triangle is pretty cool also. You can scoot across to Laos for a beer without a visa there. Or do a day trip to Myanmar from Mae Sai. Interesting temple to see there.

A fun trip is a boat from Tha Ton to Chiang Rai. TT is a nice, small town. You can stay right on the river. Nice boat trip from there back to CR.

Phi Phi and Koh Samui are on my list of 'ehh' places to go. A lot of recommendations, but a lot of bad reports too. I mean, I'm sure they're wonderful in their own right, but when one only has so much time, I'm not sure if I should be going for more out of the way/less touristy places. I guess the answer is pretty obvious when I put it like that!

OMG-do these young kids have lost any common sense? Never heard or seen that old standby used by millions of people before you: a GUIDEBOOK.

Can even be bought for less as 2nd hand here in Thaild.

BTW; at least 50% of all Qs posted here on tourism are more easy and better solved too by opening a guidebook as trusting these posters here.

I have heard of, seen and in fact own a couple guidebooks for Thailand. However, I prefer to hear suggestions from a large group of people so I can get a feel for the general consensus on a subject, not take the opinions and recommendations of a nameless stranger at face value. I figure that's common sense, but hey, I'm just a young kid, what do I know :-)

Once landing in Phuket get to the Nai Harn Rawai area, if you can wing it, get to Nai Harn Lagoon and at the start of Soi Naya which is a road to the right after the reggae bar, there are some bungalows there. Ao Sane and Yanui beach are o.k. for snorkeling. Also, big Loy Kratong party set to happen right at Nai Harn Beach.

Get seafood on the beach at Rawai beach, you can eat on mats in the sand, very nice.

Get a boat to Phi Phi, stay in outer areas, not in Tonsai/Phi Phi Don Village. I use a company called Andaman Wave Master. They then can take you onto Koh Lanta. Inexpensive options on Khlong Dao beach, Kantiang is also very nice. Couple days there then boat to Koh Lipe or Koh Muk (Mook).

Get back to Krabi Airport to fly to CM. Don't stay at The Downtown Mansion, seems they have a problem making ghosts.

Have fun !!!

I hadn't heard of Nai Harn Rawai, thanks for the rec! I wasn't sure where to go from Phuket and sounds like this is the ticket. I definitely want to go to Koh Lanta so I'll check out Andaman Wave Master. The rest sounds great too - Koh Lipe is a must on my list so it's great to have a pathway lined up. Good call about the Downtown Inn - just read up on it, pretty scary. Thanks again.

Thanks for the tip - I think I'll take a day trip to Phi Phi and skip the stay.

Phi Phi is a must see! but dont stay in the centre of town where all the party animal backpackers are. When the ferry pulls into the wharf look left and up against the cliff there are 3 bungalows for 1000bht per night approx and its right on the beach and quite at night and your able to hire peddle bikes to get to the waterfront restaurants or just cycle around town. Lots of dive shops

Leave Bangkok for last depending on the floods but it would be a shame not to include this crazy city in your trip.

If you do Bangkok you may as well do Pattaya :rolleyes: only 2 hours away

Thanks for this tip too - if I like Phi Phi I'll check out the bungalows you mentioned for accommodation. Sounds great!

To add to this I have never ever met such impolite Thais in Thailand. I guess after dealing with hordes of "The Beach" backpacker crazies they have become ultra jaded.

I suppose you can't blame them... my attitude probably wouldn't fare too well ever if I had to deal with that kind of crowd every day. Yikes.

Take any advise you receive here with a pinch of salt. This place is full of old sad doom and gloom gits.

Thailand is great. You will have a great time no matter what. If you go somewhere that is not to your liking then it is very easy to pack up and move on. Talk to as many other travellers as you can and ask about their travel experiences. I can guarantee you will want to come back to Thailand, so don't think you have to try and do everything on this trip.

Have a read at

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thailand

http://www.lonelypla...jspa?forumID=51

http://www.travelfis.../topic/thailand

http://www.backpackt...nd.com/home.htm

But most of all, Relax and enjoy :-)

Hope you have a great trip.

Edited by IrishMick

Phi Phi and Pai are for sure tourist traps, but they are like that for a reason...beautiful places people want to see. As mentioned before, there are places all around Phi Phi where you can escape the crowds. Same with Pai.

I didn't like downtown Pai, but we had a bungalow right on the river and it was beautiful. We ate at their restaurant and only ventured into town one time. Pai is incredibly beautiful.

I don't have access to my pics, but if you want a bit of the "off the beaten track" try Tha Ton. Places right on the river also. Really cool. I was there for a festival years ago and I only saw a few other farang the whole night.

Reading this thread makes me want to go on holidays ! But I already live here :unsure:

think I need a European winter so I can appreciate Thailand more

HA! For sure. I'm with my Mom in the US right now, helping her out for a few months. I'm looking at frozen landscape right now. Can't wait to go home in 8 days!!!!!

Take any advise you receive here with a pinch of salt. This place is full of old sad doom and gloom gits.

Thailand is great. You will have a great time no matter what. If you go somewhere that is not to your liking then it is very easy to pack up and move on. Talk to as many other travellers as you can and ask about their travel experiences. I can guarantee you will want to come back to Thailand, so don't think you have to try and do everything on this trip.

Have a read at

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thailand

http://www.lonelypla...jspa?forumID=51

http://www.travelfis.../topic/thailand

http://www.backpackt...nd.com/home.htm

But most of all, Relax and enjoy :-)

Hope you have a great trip.

'Thailand is great. You will have a great time no matter what. If you go somewhere that is not to your liking then it is very easy to pack up and move on'

best advice, your only a cheap boat,bus,train or short flight to some where new . Dont book in advance :)

Reading this thread makes me want to go on holidays ! But I already live here :unsure:

think I need a European winter so I can appreciate Thailand more

HA! For sure. I'm with my Mom in the US right now, helping her out for a few months. I'm looking at frozen landscape right now. Can't wait to go home in 8 days!!!!!

Absence makes the heart grow fonder....

especially if your freezing your butt off :)

Andaman side -Kata beach on Phuket. Then Kao Lak is a beautiful beach with day trips to the Similan isles, Phi Phi, Lanta etc. Then to Krabi. Then I'd head to Samui via prehaps a jungle safari at Kho Sok. Then Ko Samui or Ko Phangnan - it must be done. Catch a boat or fly to the eastern airport near Patayya - but don't go to Pattaya - visit the perfect little Ko Sichang islet (not to be confused with ko Chang), then I'd take a taxi from Sri Racha to Bangkok airport - Fly to Changmai - Fly back and catch a connecting flight back to Phuket.

How long you spend at each place is up to you. Something like this might work:

1 Phuket Kata

2 Kao Lak

3 Krabi

4 Samui

5 Ko siChang

6 Chang Mai

7 Phuket - fly home.

Remeber that most of the places of historical interest like Autayya, Lopburi, Saraburi etc. Are pretty much devestated by the floods still. I'd avoid Bangkok city, which is a shame, but the airport should be fine.

Edited by Geekfreaklover