Police Shakedown On Loi Kroh Rd

millwall_fan

Prostitution is part of the fabric of most societies but at the end of the day remains probably one of the most exploitative activities around. If hanging out with prostitutes is your bag, that's your business. It's capitalism 101, supply and demand for an agreed price, but it is still an industry that brings few people many long term favours, and needs to be recognized as such (if only on reflection).

How strange that I never noticed it in the UK, yet here every other girl I meet is in the trade.

That'd be pretty much by choice.. I guess if you really try to limit yourself to only visit certain bars consistently then you can get to that kind of average. Most people I meet, like most people in Thailand, aren't.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This debate is pretty pointless because at the end of the day we can all agree that prostitution is an exploitive practice.

However, so is paying a college graduate 8K a month.

The entire global economic system is built off exploitation. Its why over 1 billion children are starving and living in poverty.

Unless you disown all of your material possesions and live in solitude and refuse to participate in the global economy, you are an exploiter.

Whether its the clothes on your back, the food/ drink you partake, or the company you keep.

WTK

I get the feeling we are now almost singing from the same song sheet, if holding it by different corners.

As I have said twice before all the activities you have listed are indeed different shades of exploitation (so no singling out of prostitution), and as you now make clear each carries with them downside hazards, so we agree on that point.

I feel comparing prostitution to other forms of exploitation is akin to comparing rape with armed robbery. Both these offences involve taking something by force but the former is far more heinous IMHO. Perhaps it's just my old fashioned attitudes but I believe selling one's body is far sadder than "just" selling one's dignity, economic prospects or health as is required in other exploitative industries.

Not sure where the cracking down on providers line came from. I have a hard-wired abhorrence of prohibition and criminalisation of mass market products. I would far rather see a more German approach to prostitution (but taken further), with a focus on safety, quality control and marginalisation of criminal activity. War on Drugs, War on Whores....both utterly pointless and ultimately self-defeating. Legalize, regulate, tax and pick up the pieces using the revenue generated is a far more pragmatic approach.

Prostitution is part of the fabric of most societies but at the end of the day remains probably one of the most exploitative activities around. If hanging out with prostitutes is your bag, that's your business. It's capitalism 101, supply and demand for an agreed price, but it is still an industry that brings few people many long term favours, and needs to be recognized as such (if only on reflection).

How strange that I never noticed it in the UK, yet here every other girl I meet is in the trade.

I would have thought getting something for free was more exploitative than paying for it.

In the UK, prostitution is possibly more like it is in the US: A cut throat game where the men end up being the ones exploited. See link.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/housewife-charged-in-sexforsecurity-scam,1773/

Unless you disown all of your material possesions and live in solitude and refuse to participate in the global economy, you are an exploiter.

Thanks for writing that.

I really don't understand how someone can saw prostitution is somehow one of the worst. This is a completely subjective topic and it is certainly not ground in any kind of fact. How is paying a girl several times more than another job for sex an especially bad thing? How do you quantify that this is worse than things like:

A maid being paid 7,000 a month to clean 50 hours a week

A manual laborer being paid 6,000 a month to work in the heat all day

I bet most of the people on this forum, living in this country, don't do their own cleaning. And they certainly didn't build their own house that rents for such a low amount due to those manual laborers.

BTW this comes from a healthy 25 year old that doesn't have to pay for sex at all. I just empathize with the lonely 60 year old that wants to have a good time. Yeah there are some truly sadistic johns that can be used as examples for how crappy the lives of these ladies are. But I'd say that *most* of the old guys that use prostitutes are actually having an overall positive impact on these ladies' lives. Why do people try to demonize them so dam_n much? There are certainly way bigger problems in the world than this... and as far as opinion goes I feel *way* worse for the maid pulling in such a shitty wage for such a shitty job.

Edited by drnkurmlkshk

WTK

I get the feeling we are now almost singing from the same song sheet, if holding it by different corners.

As I have said twice before all the activities you have listed are indeed different shades of exploitation (so no singling out of prostitution), and as you now make clear each carries with them downside hazards, so we agree on that point.

I feel comparing prostitution to other forms of exploitation is akin to comparing rape with armed robbery. Both these offences involve taking something by force but the former is far more heinous IMHO. Perhaps it's just my old fashioned attitudes but I believe selling one's body is far sadder than "just" selling one's dignity, economic prospects or health as is required in other exploitative industries.

Not sure where the cracking down on providers line came from. I have a hard-wired abhorrence of prohibition and criminalisation of mass market products. I would far rather see a more German approach to prostitution (but taken further), with a focus on safety, quality control and marginalisation of criminal activity. War on Drugs, War on Whores....both utterly pointless and ultimately self-defeating. Legalize, regulate, tax and pick up the pieces using the revenue generated is a far more pragmatic approach.

Any women that have continuous frequent sexual activities with a multitude of men are placing themselves at great risk, whether legalised or not.

To be honest, these women should get paid danger money, as they’re jobs probably carry more high risks than a building worker balancing 15 stories up on a piece of scaffold or a movie stunt man.

The practice of safe sex is a myth in the case of prostitutes. These women have not gained the reputation of being classified as dirty for nothing, even if they practise good hygiene techniques.

For example, the woman is exposing herself to any amount of germs, viruses or diseases the client may carry. TB, herpes, various forms of hepatitis, cervical cancer, pubic lice and all sorts of STDs including HIV and AIDs, and even a common cold. I could go on and on, the list is endless.

The women can become a walking biological germ and virus factory, either carrying or will suffer the affects that can be passed on to her next client and so on. Then of course they are placing themselves in great danger of physical violence, even murder in some cases from clients.

So any guy who goes with a prostitute should understand the risks involved to himself , including what he could pass on if he has a partner, and that being armed with a condom for having so called safe sex will not protect him from a multitude of serious diseases.

But nevertheless most of us are not idiots and are fully aware of the risks involved and that includes the prostitutes. Meaning that the choice is ours whether we proceed or not.

As the wise man says; it takes two to tango. If there is any exploitation involved, that can pertain both ways.

Most of these women are fully aware of what they are doing and willing to become bodily fluid receptacles for men as a means of making a living. In most cases this is something, which they choose to do. Without these women that transform themselves into a product for the desires of men, the flesh trade could no longer continue.

If you want to eradicate heterosexual prostitution, then you must begin at it`s source with the women. Many of these women truly believe they are doing a public service and what they do is not immoral but only see it as a job, far removed from that they are tragic victims of circumstance. And not forgetting that prostitution is the oldest profession in the world, so it`s going to be an extremely difficult or probably an impossible task trying to convince them to give it up.

So while the source is there, the men will continue to use and fuel this trade. It`s a vicious circle with two sides to the argument.

These are the facts, my dear, and time to enter into the real world.

Edited by Beetlejuice

To be honest, these women should get paid danger money, as they’re jobs probably carry more high risks than a building worker balancing 15 stories up on a piece of scaffold or a movie stunt man.

For example, the woman is exposing herself to any amount of germs, viruses or diseases the client may carry. TB, herpes, various forms of hepatitis, cervical cancer, pubic lice and all sorts of STDs including HIV and AIDs, and even a common cold. I could go on and on, the list is endless.

The women can become a walking biological germ and virus factory, either carrying or will suffer the affects that can be passed on to her next client and so on. Then of course they are placing themselves in great danger of physical violence, even murder in some cases from clients.

I believe you are a victim of too much "nanny state" medical propaganda.

Your analysis of the situation does not match up with what appears to be the reality of the girls.

WTK

Any women that have continuous frequent sexual activities with a multitude of men are placing themselves at great risk, whether legalised or not.

The practice of safe sex is a myth in the case of prostitutes. These women have not gained the reputation of being classified as dirty for nothing, even if they practise good hygiene techniques.

So any guy who goes with a prostitute should understand the risks involved to himself , including what he could pass on if he has a partner, and that being armed with a condom for having so called safe sex will not protect him from a multitude of serious diseases.

But nevertheless most of us are not idiots and are fully aware of the risks involved and that includes the prostitutes. Meaning that the choice is ours whether we proceed or not.

As the wise man says; it takes two to tango. If there is any exploitation involved, that can pertain both ways.

Most of these women are fully aware of what they are doing and willing to become bodily fluid receptacles for men as a means of making a living. In most cases this is something, which they choose to do. Without these women that transform themselves into a product for the desires of men, the flesh trade could no longer continue.

If you want to eradicate heterosexual prostitution, then you must begin at it`s source with the women. Many of these women truly believe they are doing a public service and what they do is not immoral but only see it as a job, far removed from that they are tragic victims of circumstance. And not forgetting that prostitution is the oldest profession in the world, so it`s going to be an extremely difficult or probably an impossible task trying to convince them to give it up.

So while the source is there, the men will continue to use and fuel this trade. It`s a vicious circle with two sides to the argument.

These are the facts, my dear, and time to enter into the real world.

And so it has been since the begining of the human race and so it will be until the end of the same, some things never change and others simply don't require changing.

it is the oldest profession in the world they say.how can you stop it.the police still have the club 101 it is just behind the old spicy.oppostite cowboys bar

tell me more about club 101 please rolleyes.gif

Don't bother. As long as I've been here there are the same homely looking girls sitting out there under the red lights at night. The only men I've ever seen enter the place are Thai guys that look as though they are very drunk.

wtk

re .. some of the places on Chang Klan / CM Land anyway. I almost crash my car every time driving past there around 6pm.

bad boy : (

dave2

That's not quite the one; the one that's by far the biggest traffic hazard in that area is a bit North of CM Land, on the left side when heading downtown.

My Thai friends inform me - only rumored, but sounds reasonable - that some of the Thai-Chinese residents on the Chang Moi Road are irritated by the crowd and noise (and lest we forget - late-night peeing on peoples' doorsteps)that the new Spice is bringing, and so they sent a letter to high-ups down in BKK, causing a stir. And like others have said, they're compelled to make a show elsewhere as well in enforcing the 'rules.'

So.. that can't be a big cash cow then. Not compared to some of the places on Chang Klan / CM Land anyway. I almost crash my car every time driving past there around 6pm.

I've almost crashed my car a couple of times on Chang Klan too! Sometimes the girls jump out in street and try to get oncoming cars to stop which has happened to me a few times. The girls which are so lovely approach the drivers to come inside but the karaoke places where they work are such rip offs that I would not go inside.

The women can become a walking biological germ and virus factory, either carrying or will suffer the affects that can be passed on to her next client and so on.

I'm sure that is just the short list of some of the diseases they carry. They should just legalize the whole industry and have mandatory health checks including monthly blood tests like they have in some countries. There will always be a demand. Why not legalize it?

My Thai friends inform me - only rumored, but sounds reasonable - that some of the Thai-Chinese residents on the Chang Moi Road are irritated by the crowd and noise (and lest we forget - late-night peeing on peoples' doorsteps)that the new Spice is bringing, and so they sent a letter to high-ups down in BKK, causing a stir. And like others have said, they're compelled to make a show elsewhere as well in enforcing the 'rules.'

I think that's pretty much correct. Hence the signs going up along the street.

BTW this comes from a healthy 25 year old that doesn't have to pay for sex at all.

From Belle De Jour: You don't pay for sex, you pay for them to go home in the morning.

Another Belle De Jour wisdom - said her mom when she found out Belle was working as a lady of the night: "Well, at least you're getting paid for it. We used to do it for free. "

555 :lol:

IMO who's getting exploited by whom is a bit hard to tell. But since the transaction involves consenting adults, I am not too concerned about it.

I think that's pretty much correct. Hence the signs going up along the street.

Makes sense. Who wouldn't object to spicy opening up next to their house? I like spicy - as has been said in this thread, if it wasn't for Spicy, there would be no stories at all in CM. I even go there once of twice a year. But if they opened next to where I sleep - I'd do anything I can to get them out of there.

Edited by nikster

I'm sure that is just the short list of some of the diseases they carry. They should just legalize the whole industry and have mandatory health checks including monthly blood tests like they have in some countries. There will always be a demand. Why not legalize it?

I'm with you on the idea - makes sense.

Thailand is in such denial about what illegal stuff goes on here, so they would never legalise it, the same as gambling.

It would go against the grain, regarding some of their ridiculous antiquated laws.

Thailand is in such denial about what illegal stuff goes on here, so they would never legalise it, the same as gambling.

It would go against the grain, regarding some of their ridiculous antiquated laws.

Reading your reply, I read it quite automatically as "it would go against the gravy train". :ph34r:

So.. that can't be a big cash cow then. Not compared to some of the places on Chang Klan / CM Land anyway. I almost crash my car every time driving past there around 6pm.

I've almost crashed my car a couple of times on Chang Klan too! Sometimes the girls jump out in street and try to get oncoming cars to stop which has happened to me a few times. The girls which are so lovely approach the drivers to come inside but the karaoke places where they work are such rip offs that I would not go inside.

Drive-In Karaoke ? :emot-kiss::w00t: Do they also serve Pizza ? :partytime2:

1320474065[/url]' post='4823780']

Right before tourist season and at the beginning of Loi Krathong. Absolutely consistent with the Thai mindset - Lets do whatever we can to screw up tourism, and then sit around and wonder why the numbers are so low so blame it on the foreigners."

True TIT

cm is running out of beer so we will be lucky to get a drink at all soon but as the beer shortage will pass so will the watchful eye

of pc pad thai . think of all the other little rules and regs that have come and gone they never last long

if the screaming brass are aloud to go about there trade unhindered i cant see pc pad thai enforcing this new rule for very long

its about face and i think they have lost a bit the thai police force relies heavily on the contributions made to its pensions fund

if there contributions starts to dry up even a little as a result of this normal service will resume fear not

you could always go out an hour earlier then 12 wont feel so early

enjoy your day

LOL, yes, exactly. Legalizing it means that the whole country would benefit, and not current influential figures..

Hmm..but wouldnt legalising it cause an influx of seedy old farangs who are only interested in Thailand for one thing.. ? Oops..did i just say that! :P

Edited by eek

LOL, yes, exactly. Legalizing it means that the whole country would benefit, and not current influential figures..

Seriously though, do you really think legalizing the sex industry would benefit the whole country? Isnt Thailand already struggling to change an image of itself as a sex tourist/sex-pat destination? Maybe if it were concentrated in one area, such as Pattaya, where it could be a sort of like a lower end Las Vegas? Im not trying to be funny, or standing on a soap box saying what i think is right or wrong..im trying to be realistic. Would it honestly serve Thailand well to have a legalised industry? What kind of people in general would you think it would attract? I honestly think the influx of the kind of visitors (drunken, bad mannered, seedy guy - generally speaking!)that that change would attract, would not serve Thailand well on the whole. Thoughts? Im open to discussion. I could be wrong.