U.S. commander fires Army general for criticizing Afghan leaders

News_Editor

U.S. commander fires Army general for criticizing Afghan leaders

2011-11-05 13:36:55 GMT+7 (ICT)

KABUL (BNO NEWS) -- U.S. Marine Corps General John Allen, the commander of U.S. and NATO troops in Afghanistan, fired a senior U.S. Army general on Friday after he criticized Afghan leaders during an interview.

Major General Peter Fuller, Deputy Commander of the NATO effort to train and equip Afghan security forces, told the U.S. political website Politico this week that senior Afghan officials have not fully recognized the sacrifices in "treasure and blood" the United States is making for their security.

U.S. military officials said he showed 'extremely poor judgment' during the interview, which led Allen to relieve him of his duties. "These unfortunate comments are neither indicative of our current solid relationship with the government of Afghanistan, its leadership, or our joint commitment to prevail here in Afghanistan," he said.

Allen added: "The Afghan people are an honorable people, and comments such as these will not keep us from accomplishing our most critical and shared mission - bringing about a stable, peaceful and prosperous Afghanistan."

Fuller had expressed irritation over remarks by Afghan President Hamid Karzai who recently said that Afghanistan would side with Pakistan in a war against the United States. American officials, however, have previously said Karzai had been misquoted or misunderstood.

"Why don't you just poke me in the eye with a needle! You've got to be kidding me. I'm sorry, we just gave you $11.6 billion and now you're telling me, 'I don't really care'?" the two-star general was quoted as saying by Politico.

Fuller, who was visiting the United States to attend a conference, added: "When they are going to have a presidential election, you hope they get a guy that's more articulate in public."

The general also said he told Afghan generals during a strategic review of the U.S. mission that they don't understand 'the sacrifices' being made by the United States. "I said, 'You guys are isolated from reality.' The reality is, the world economy is having some significant hiccups. The U.S. is in this [too]," he told Politico.

"If you're in a very poor country like Afghanistan, you think that America has roads paved in gold, everybody lives in Hollywood. They don't understand the sacrifices that America is making to provide for their security. And I think that's part of my job to educate 'em."

Fuller said he believes the problem is a mentality left behind by the Soviets. "We didn't buy them a lot of things that they had seen bought previously by the Soviets, the tanks and the jets. So they asked for them. They say, 'Well, the Russians gave us this.'"

The general said he told the Afghans: "You're telling us that you're not appreciative of $11.2 billion from the U.S. this year? We have challenges going on in our own country, and this is our national treasure.'"

The senior U.S. official also revealed that the Afghan government had made requests for multiple F-16 fighter jets and tanks, without the budget to use or maintain them. "All I want to do is put them on a flat bed and drive them around in a parade," a senior Afghan official told Fuller, he said.

The general told Politico he often needs to beat back 'overzealous' demands from Afghan officials. "You can teach a man how to fish, or you can give them a fish. We're giving them fish while they're learning, and they want more fish! [They say,] 'I like swordfish, how come you're giving me cod?' Guess what? Cod's on the menu today."

But not everyone agreed with Allen's decision to fire Fuller, and some criticized the U.S. military for not allowing Fuller to give his opinion. "Give that man another star!" said Michael Steele, the former chairman of the Republican National Committee.

It is not the first time that a senior military figure has been fired over comments made to the media. In July 2010, Rolling Stone magazine published a history-making piece that prompted President Barack Obama's dismissal of U.S. Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal as commander of all U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan, the position now held by Allen.

The explosive magazine piece revealed the strategic discrepancies and political infighting that underlies the American military mission in Afghanistan. It depicted Gen. McChrystal as an outsider who didn't get along with many top officials in the Obama administration.

"How'd I get screwed into going to this dinner?" McChrystal was cited as saying by Rolling Stone magazine. He made the comments in Paris where he was going to meet a French minister. "I'd rather have my ass kicked by a roomful of people than go out to this dinner."

The Rolling Stone reporter, after McChrystal left, asked one of his aides who he was going to dinner with. "Some French minister. It's fuc_king gay," he was told.

Other comments made fun of U.S. Vice President Joe Biden. "Are you asking about Vice President Biden? Who's that?" McChrystal said as he laughed. A top adviser replied: "Biden? Did you say, 'Bite me'?"

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-11-05

One post in violation of fair use policy has been deleted as well as a reply to it.

Under fair use, you may quote the first three sentences to an article and then post a link to the remainder of the article. Quoting more than that can be viewed as copyright infringement.

If you see that an article is in violation of fair use, I would suggest you not quote the post as it will result in a deletion.

General's comments are truthful. Unfortunately, the U.S. has to rely on the Afghans to assume the responsibilities for security and being honest in the region will not facilitate the overall U.S. policy. Political reality trumps the truth. I don't think the General's career is in danger. He just wasn't the right man for a politically sensitive job. Better to get a guy or gal who can understand the Afghan tribal mentality. And hopefully, get the he11 out of that sordid dump of a country asap.

General's comments are truthful. Unfortunately, the U.S. has to rely on the Afghans to assume the responsibilities for security and being honest in the region will not facilitate the overall U.S. policy. Political reality trumps the truth. I don't think the General's career is in danger. He just wasn't the right man for a politically sensitive job. Better to get a guy or gal who can understand the Afghan tribal mentality. And hopefully, get the he11 out of that sordid dump of a country asap.

You obviously don't know much about General officers and their careers, his is TOAST

Someone that high in the command chain whether armed services, corporate or government has to follow the official line irrespective of their own thoughts.

Whats the US equivalent of the Thai Inactive Post ??? Cos that could be his next assignment.

I know General Allen personally, and he is the poster boy of integrity. So if he relieved MGEN Fuller, then I would have to assume the reasons are pretty clear.

MGEN Fuller's Army career is over. But like other general officers who have been canned for speaking their minds, he should have a lucrative career in the civilian sector should he so wish.

I know General Allen personally, and he is the poster boy of integrity. So if he relieved MGEN Fuller, then I would have to assume the reasons are pretty clear.

MGEN Fuller's Army career is over. But like other general officers who have been canned for speaking their minds, he should have a lucrative career in the civilian sector should he so wish.

I disagree to a certain extent. He will go back to the desk job scenario that he had before. He was recently promoted in 2010 and up until his posting in Afghanistan was the PEO Fort Belvoir VA. That job can be considered to have been an important one since the program designed, developed. purchased and distributed personnel kit. He was the guy responsible for getting the right equipment to the operational units. The promotion to MG and assignment to the training program in Afghanistan was Fuller's chance to shine. He didn't. His background was logistics and programs and perhaps that's where his talents lay. He's been in service since 1980 so certainly qualifies for his pension should he wish to take it. I estimate he's 53 or 54 years of age.

I understand your point and you are considering it from the perspective of someone that has seen this before. However, the difference between then and now is the man is educated and experienced. It is difficult to replace people like this. Good "clerical" types are hard to come by. Alot of the experienced staff officers took retirement. If there is embarrassment, it might be with the bonehead that took someone with limited operational experience and put him into contact with people that are unfuriating at the best of times. On the other hand, maybe this was the culmination of being promoted to his level of incompetence. I keep wondering if the Stryker program issues have come back to haunt him.

I dunno. It's not as if his was a plum assignment with folks lined up to go make nice with people you can't trust.

I disagree to a certain extent. He will go back to the desk job scenario that he had before. He was recently promoted in 2010 and up until his posting in Afghanistan was the PEO Fort Belvoir VA. That job can be considered to have been an important one since the program designed, developed. purchased and distributed personnel kit. He was the guy responsible for getting the right equipment to the operational units. The promotion to MG and assignment to the training program in Afghanistan was Fuller's chance to shine. He didn't. His background was logistics and programs and perhaps that's where his talents lay. He's been in service since 1980 so certainly qualifies for his pension should he wish to take it. I estimate he's 53 or 54 years of age.

I understand your point and you are considering it from the perspective of someone that has seen this before. However, the difference between then and now is the man is educated and experienced. It is difficult to replace people like this. Good "clerical" types are hard to come by. Alot of the experienced staff officers took retirement. If there is embarrassment, it might be with the bonehead that took someone with limited operational experience and put him into contact with people that are unfuriating at the best of times. On the other hand, maybe this was the culmination of being promoted to his level of incompetence. I keep wondering if the Stryker program issues have come back to haunt him.

I dunno. It's not as if his was a plum assignment with folks lined up to go make nice with people you can't trust.

(You are right with "MG" vice "MGEN" for Army personnel.)

At the flag level, competition is fierce, and his job was in fact a plum assignment. A combat assignment for a flag officer is normally a sure career booster. Allen, Odienero, Chairelli, Mattis--and Petreaus with the CIA--all served in combat as flag officers.

Getting relieved for any reason is a career stopper. Getting relieved as a flag officer is even worse. I don't know if I have ever heard of a flag officer getting relieved, then going further in his or her career.

Imagine what would happen if grunts could get sent home for speaking their mind about the Afghans?

Would be the fastest way to get the troops home wouldn't it.

Actually a faster way would be to just tell them ....If you dont think

being here is a good idea or if you don't feel this is right

you may leave with no retribution.

Imagine what would happen if grunts could get sent home for speaking their mind about the Afghans?

Would be the fastest way to get the troops home wouldn't it.

Actually a faster way would be to just tell them ....If you dont think

being here is a good idea or if you don't feel this is right

you may leave with no retribution.

I'm sure they hear it often on AghanVisa dot com. :ph34r: